Bugs in lettuce wraps??

My son sent me this yesterday! Yikes!

Disney resort visitors ate lettuce wraps filled with bugs: suit
By Joshua Rhett Miller
August 28, 2019 | 1:14pm | Updated

Enlarge Image

A lawsuit claims four Florida residents were served food contaminated with dozens of live insects and bugs during a trip to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort in December.

A lawsuit claims four Florida residents were served food contaminated with "dozens of live insects and bugs" during a trip to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort in December. AAvarello
MORE ON:
RESORTS
Girl dies in freak pool pump accident at Turkish resort

NYC parents flee to the Amalfi Coast while kids are at camp

Dominican Republic resort temporarily closed after mom's savage 'beatdown'

Dominican Republic 'beatdown' victim sues resort for $3 million

Four people visiting a Walt Disney World resort in Florida got “extremely sick” and needed several trips to the emergency room after eating lettuce wraps crawling with live insects, a new lawsuit claims.
The plaintiffs from Broward County sued Walt Disney Parks and Resorts last week in connection with their disastrous December trip to Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort in Orlando, the lawsuit states.
A series of photos included in the 90-page lawsuit appears to show insects lurking on pieces of lettuce that allegedly were eaten by Cynthia Walker, Jeoffrey Walker, Brittany Walker Figueroa and her daughter, Bella.
“After consuming multiple lettuce wraps, [Brittany Walker Figueroa] felt something crawling inside of her mouth and removed what appeared to be a small green object that had legs and was moving,” the lawsuit reads.
Walker and her family had been eating at a buffet at the resort’s Club Level Lounge, where customers could make lettuce wraps filled with chicken, celery, carrots, broccoli and sauces.
The grub-filled greens caused the group to get “extremely sick,” requiring several visits to an Orange County emergency room for food poisoning, the lawsuit claims.
Enlarge ImageA close-up of one bug found in the lettuce wrap, according to the lawsuitAAvarello
“The plaintiff’s injury of food poisoning and subsequent illnesses diagnosed by the plaintiff’s treating physicians is a type of injury that ordinarily does not occur unless someone was negligent,” reads the lawsuit, which seeks damages in excess of $15,000.
As a result of eating the insect-laden lettuce wraps, the plaintiffs suffered “loss of capacity for the enjoyment of life,” as well as loss of earnings and medical expenses, including hospitalization costs, the lawsuit claims.
In a statement to The Post, a Disney spokeswoman said the company plans to fight the lawsuit.
“Enjoying high-quality meals in clean and safe environments is an important part of a Walt Disney World Resort vacation,” the statement read. “We do not believe the claimed illnesses were a result of the guests’ dining experiences, and we will defend against these allegations in court.”
A message seeking comment from attorneys representing the plaintiffs was not immediately returned Wednesday.
Walt Disney World’s Polynesian Village Resort, which opened in 1971, is billed as an “oasis of tropical palms, lush vegetation and so much more,” including world-class restaurants, according to its website.

So do we have photographs that show they were actually taken at the Poly? Not to mention that it seems strange that only four people, all from the same family were affected, but, no one else eating there that night seems to have reported the same issues. And of course they ate so much of this bug infested food that it caused food poisoning, because one mouthful of that food would hardly cause them the issues they claim to be suffering from.
Next fake case!!

Bugs are good for you. Good source of protein. They don't cause food poisoning. Not to say they couldn't have ALSO gotten food poisoning, but it wasn't the bugs that made them sick. Either way, gross. And also, did they not LOOK at their food before eating it? These were lettuce wraps...you have to handle the lettuce to make the wrap.

So do we have photographs that show they were actually taken at the Poly? Not to mention that it seems strange that only four people, all from the same family were affected, but, no one else eating there that night seems to have reported the same issues. And of course they ate so much of this bug infested food that it caused food poisoning, because one mouthful of that food would hardly cause them the issues they claim to be suffering from.
Next fake case!!
I totally agree! I said to my so. All of them just munched down the wraps and no one looked at their food!! Really!

My son sent me this yesterday! Yikes!

Disney resort visitors ate lettuce wraps filled with bugs: suit
By Joshua Rhett Miller
August 28, 2019 | 1:14pm | Updated
Enlarge Image

A lawsuit claims four Florida residents were served food contaminated with dozens of live insects and bugs during a trip to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort in December.'s Polynesian Village Resort in December.

A lawsuit claims four Florida residents were served food contaminated with "dozens of live insects and bugs" during a trip to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort in December. AAvarello
MORE ON:
RESORTS
Girl dies in freak pool pump accident at Turkish resort

NYC parents flee to the Amalfi Coast while kids are at camp

Dominican Republic resort temporarily closed after mom's savage 'beatdown'

Dominican Republic 'beatdown' victim sues resort for $3 million

Four people visiting a Walt Disney World resort in Florida got “extremely sick” and needed several trips to the emergency room after eating lettuce wraps crawling with live insects, a new lawsuit claims.
The plaintiffs from Broward County sued Walt Disney Parks and Resorts last week in connection with their disastrous December trip to Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort in Orlando, the lawsuit states.
A series of photos included in the 90-page lawsuit appears to show insects lurking on pieces of lettuce that allegedly were eaten by Cynthia Walker, Jeoffrey Walker, Brittany Walker Figueroa and her daughter, Bella.
“After consuming multiple lettuce wraps, [Brittany Walker Figueroa] felt something crawling inside of her mouth and removed what appeared to be a small green object that had legs and was moving,” the lawsuit reads.
Walker and her family had been eating at a buffet at the resort’s Club Level Lounge, where customers could make lettuce wraps filled with chicken, celery, carrots, broccoli and sauces.
The grub-filled greens caused the group to get “extremely sick,” requiring several visits to an Orange County emergency room for food poisoning, the lawsuit claims.
Enlarge ImageA close-up of one bug found in the lettuce wrap, according to the lawsuitAAvarello
“The plaintiff’s injury of food poisoning and subsequent illnesses diagnosed by the plaintiff’s treating physicians is a type of injury that ordinarily does not occur unless someone was negligent,” reads the lawsuit, which seeks damages in excess of $15,000.
As a result of eating the insect-laden lettuce wraps, the plaintiffs suffered “loss of capacity for the enjoyment of life,” as well as loss of earnings and medical expenses, including hospitalization costs, the lawsuit claims.
In a statement to The Post, a Disney spokeswoman said the company plans to fight the lawsuit.
“Enjoying high-quality meals in clean and safe environments is an important part of a Walt Disney World Resort vacation,” the statement read. “We do not believe the claimed illnesses were a result of the guests’ dining experiences, and we will defend against these allegations in court.”
A message seeking comment from attorneys representing the plaintiffs was not immediately returned Wednesday.
Walt Disney World’s Polynesian Village Resort, which opened in 1971, is billed as an “oasis of tropical palms, lush vegetation and so much more,” including world-class restaurants, according to its website.

We serve lettuce wraps at the restaurant I manage... what this points to is 1) sub par produce purchasing and distribution 2) they didn’t wash their lettuce and that points to a lack of sanitary and safety controls, and along with that straight up discipline

For all the naysayers who say it can’t happen, it can and it does frequently with ice berg lettuce. Disney isn’t some magical exceptional oasis.

It wouldn’t cause any actual food poisoning though, that’s from bacteria. I don’t believe that anyone could be hospitalized from this...

Last edited:
They did and they took pictures of it... it’s served to the table that way and guests make their own wraps with the lettuce they’re served
And then ate them instead of sending it back. How about some personal responsibility here. Who in their right mind is going to make a wrap with bug infested lettuce? This screams setup. They took pictures and then ate it? Really?

So they made their own lettuce wraps using lettuce with bugs on it, which are clearly visible in the pictures, and still decided to eat them?

And then ate them instead of sending it back. How about some personal responsibility here. Who in their right mind is going to make a wrap with bug infested lettuce? This screams setup. They took pictures and then ate it? Really?

Put your Disney shields down for a moment please, I’m not going to sit here and say that there was not any over exaggeration in this but what I am trying to get across is that bugs in iceberg lettuce is a very common problem and one Disney is not immune to.

The part I have a problem with is the claim of emergency room visits for food poisoning. Bugs are gross in your food but they do not cause you to be physically ill, that’s a different problem entirely.

Also if you read the lawsuit it happened at the CL buffet, which explains why it wasn’t “sent back“..

This is the part that makes it unbelievable to me.

I have found bugs in my lettuce before. It happens. I tossed it in the trash. Wasn't even worth my time to take it back to the store for a refund. There was a story recently about a LIVE FROG in a container of organic salad greens purchased by a family. While it is alarming, it's gonna happen. It won't likely make anyone sick, though.

Also if you read the lawsuit it happened at the CL buffet, which explains why it wasn’t “sent back“..
But they still took photo's and then claim they ate the lettuce. What is wrong with that picture?

Once again, if they see bugs, why didn't they tell the CM in the lounge instead? Send it back, tell a CM, something. A reasonable person just doesn't wolf it down and if they were that hungry, why bother to take photo's first?

This still smells badly and it's not the bugs in the lettuce. Sure, Disney CM's in the kitchen should have seen this and not served it but things do happen. My son is in the restaurant industry. Yes, things like this happen occasionally, like someone else said, it's not unique to Disney.

Put your Disney shields down for a moment please, I’m not going to sit here and say that there was not any over exaggeration in this but what I am trying to get across is that bugs in iceberg lettuce is a very common problem and one Disney is not immune to.

The part I have a problem with is the claim of emergency room visits for food poisoning. Bugs are gross in your food but they do not cause you to be physically ill, that’s a different problem entirely.

I don't think anyone here is claiming that bugs in lettuce can't happen, even at Disney.
I think the problem people have with this story is that the bugs are clearly visible on the lettuce, yet these people still ate it.
Plus like you said- you aren't going to get food poisoning from that.
Plenty of things about their story just don't add up.

I don't think anyone here is claiming that bugs in lettuce can't happen, even at Disney.
I think the problem people have with this story is that the bugs are clearly visible on the lettuce, yet these people still ate it.
Plus like you said- you aren't going to get food poisoning from that.
Plenty of things about their story just don't add up.

I think a lot of people here are spinning the story still, bugs in lettuce can be hard to see unless you’re looking for them. I don’t find it unreasonable that bugs made it into the lettuce on the buffet line, one unlucky family got the head of lettuce that was not washed properly, and got half way through before they noticed. From there they probably took a couple pictures and then told the concierge who took back the whole batch to the kitchen and tried to sweep it under the rug.

Previous posts in this thread are asking why the people would keep eating with the bugs in their lettuce, when it doesn’t say they ever did that in the lawsuit. It sounds like some posts here are implying it’s the guests fault for not having the “personal responsibility” to choose lettuce that is bug free. That’s absurd.

Even if there is over exaggeration in terms of the food poisoning, the rest of the story seems reasonable to me, and I feel terrible for the family who had to experience it if there is even an ounce of truth to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!