Budget Vacay: Navarre or Pensacola Beach?

Grace&Carolinesmom

DIS Veteran
Howdy budget folks:goodvibes Looking to go on a less expensive vacation in early June or late August in either Navarre Beach or Pensacola Beach FL. Anyone been there or to both and have a preference? We are looking for an UNCROWDED beach with a few great local seafood restaurants and a grocery store nearby. Maybe within 15 minutes of movie theaters and mini-golf. I have been scouting out some great condos to stay but if you have any experiences bad or good, please elaborate. We are looking for a relaxing beach vacation....without breaking the bank;)

ALSO---If we go the 2nd or 3rd week of August, are we in for a world of hurt with jellyfish? Made the mistake several years ago of being in Myrtle Beach when jellyfish were everywhere. Ugh....and it was in April...weird. Anywho...don't want to make that mistake again. I would be willing to chance a hurricane but jellyfish stings are very worrisome.

I'm not much help, but when I saw your post, I just had to respond. I lived in that area for about 4 years (my husband was stationed at Eglin AFB outside of Fort Walton Beach). There is NOTHING like the beaches in that area!! I never went to Navarre, but Pensacola Beach is VERY touristy. I wish I was more help! I didn't spend much time in either of those places, but if you plan to head to Destin, I have some ideas for you! :)

We stayed at BeachColony resort in Navarre in 09 and LOVED it! I think it would be definately less crowded than Pensacola but I could be wrong. I don't remember a movie theatre, but there were groceries and restaurants close. We went to the small butterfly exhibit right over the bridge and thought that was nice. We also went to Destin for the day and did a Dolphin Tour and went to Pensacola to the Air museum :)

Navarre , prob one of the least crowded beaches on the panhandles. White sand and pretty water. Not so far from Pensacola or even Fort Walton in case you feel the need for a venture to Alvin's Island for an airbrushed tee or a movie. : ) Not much on Navarre island itself, a restaurant or two and I think a Tom's thumb gas station that will have a few groceries.

Navarre Beach and Pensacola Beach are so close together that you can easily do both. I would say where ever you can find the best deal on a condo or hotel. Its an easy and beautiful drive down the beach from one to the other. Whenever we venture out to the beach we usually drive down to Navarre, cross over the bridge, then drive west and stop somewhere in the middle, and eventually come back out through Gulf Breeze. We love Peg Leg Petes on P'cola Beach for a fun touristy meal.

I adore Navarre. We got engaged there and try to go on our anniversaries. It is pretty deserted compared to other beaches and even at peak times it's totally manageable. I can't believe some of the crowds I've seen on Destin & FWB after years of Navarre beaches. However, except for the Rib Shack we usually do our eating in FWB or Destin. There are movie theaters in Pensacola and Mary Esther pretty close by in both directions. It's really just an ideal, relaxing, un-touristy place to stay. And gorgeous!!!!!

I think either Navarre or Pensacola would be a winner. You'll have more food options by far in Pensacola but also more people on the beach.

There is an Albertsons? and a Publix and even a Walmart not far from the beach, go over the bridge, maybe 10 minutes.

I like Pensacola Beach:thumbsup2 I like all the restaurant places on the beach, I did not think this was the same as Navarre.

Howdy budget folks:goodvibes Looking to go on a less expensive vacation in early June or late August in either Navarre Beach or Pensacola Beach FL. Anyone been there or to both and have a preference? We are looking for an UNCROWDED beach with a few great local seafood restaurants and a grocery store nearby. Maybe within 15 minutes of movie theaters and mini-golf. I have been scouting out some great condos to stay but if you have any experiences bad or good, please elaborate. We are looking for a relaxing beach vacation....without breaking the bank;)

ALSO---If we go the 2nd or 3rd week of August, are we in for a world of hurt with jellyfish? Made the mistake several years ago of being in Myrtle Beach when jellyfish were everywhere. Ugh....and it was in April...weird. Anywho...don't want to make that mistake again. I would be willing to chance a hurricane but jellyfish stings are very worrisome.

Hmmm if I remember right we had a slight problem with jellyfish but nothing major, meaning a few of us got a lil stung, but nothing that was serious pain or anything

I vote for Penasacola Beach! Of course, I live here so I am just the teeniest bit biased. Honestly though, if you want empty beaches in Pensacola, just don't go to the tourist beach. That is the first one you come too. Drive three miles down the road and the beaches are empty. And there is a bathroom, covered picnic tables, and grills! We also have Fort Pickens right there. It is a great place to visit, tons of history. We take pics of the kids out there. Fort Barrancas is right here and we have the air museum. Both are interesting. We have more restaurants at Pensacola Beach than they do in Navarre. You would want to stop at the Publix in Gulf Breeze on the way out though.

Thanks for all the responses:thumbsup2 It does sound like Navarre is more our style. I am planning to cook most meals in the condo but want to go out a few times for seafood and burgers. I am glad to hear there are grocery stores and theaters somewhat nearby.

I think I have the condos narrowed down to Beach Colony, Summerwind and The Pearl. They all have nice gulffront balconies, pools, full kitchens, decently updated decor, and outside BBQ grills.

I have noticed a HUGE price difference beginning the second week of August. Other than kids going back to school and hurricane season...what's the big drop in price?:confused3 Is there something I am forgetting? OR is that jellyfish season? Sorry--I am a worrywart over jellyfish--mainly for my kids. Or is it that hot and humid that we will not enjoy the beach? I lived in South Caroline for the first 22 years of my life and 5 of those were at Myrtle Beach. So....I know hot but on the beach there is always a breeze...right?

I vote for Penasacola Beach! Of course, I live here so I am just the teeniest bit biased. Honestly though, if you want empty beaches in Pensacola, just don't go to the tourist beach. That is the first one you come too. Drive three miles down the road and the beaches are empty. And there is a bathroom, covered picnic tables, and grills! We also have Fort Pickens right there. It is a great place to visit, tons of history. We take pics of the kids out there. Fort Barrancas is right here and we have the air museum. Both are interesting. We have more restaurants at Pensacola Beach than they do in Navarre. You would want to stop at the Publix in Gulf Breeze on the way out though.

You are so lucky to live on such a beautiful stretch of coastline:goodvibes At Penasacola, we are considering these 3 condos: Emerald Dolphin, Emerald Isle and Portofino. Are any of these on the deserted end of the beach?

Another local and I wouldn't worry about jellyfish in August. In Destin and east, we've had some of the green harmless algae but not jellyfish. As pp's have said-Navarre and P. Beach are pretty close to one another. The Tourist Season is Spring Break until kiddies are back in school (first week in August) and we are happy when they do since our beaches clear out!

Thanks for all the responses:thumbsup2 It does sound like Navarre is more our style. I am planning to cook most meals in the condo but want to go out a few times for seafood and burgers. I am glad to hear there are grocery stores and theaters somewhat nearby.

I think I have the condos narrowed down to Beach Colony, Summerwind and The Pearl. They all have nice gulffront balconies, pools, full kitchens, decently updated decor, and outside BBQ grills.

I have noticed a HUGE price difference beginning the second week of August. Other than kids going back to school and hurricane season...what's the big drop in price?:confused3 Is there something I am forgetting? OR is that jellyfish season? Sorry--I am a worrywart over jellyfish--mainly for my kids. Or is it that hot and humid that we will not enjoy the beach? I lived in South Caroline for the first 22 years of my life and 5 of those were at Myrtle Beach. So....I know hot but on the beach there is always a breeze...right?

Kids back to school is prob all it is, jelly fish not a big issue there.

Thank you!!! You guys are making me feel more at ease about jellyfish in August. Algae/seaweed is gross but it doesn't hurt. The rates are SO much cheaper in August that we are hoping to go in that time frame. Our kids don't start school until after labor day.

I am so glad you posted this. We go to Pensacola a lot just driving down for the day but have always gone to the public/tourist beach I guess. There is a big bathhouse but no grills and picnic tables. We always talk about taking food but don't really want to eat on the sand. Picnic tables and grills will be GREAT.

All Florida schools begin 2 weeks before labor day, I believe Santa Rosa county (Navarre and P'cola Beach) begins August 22nd.

There is a large movie theater at Tiger Point, which is only maybe 10 miles west on Hwy 98. There is also a small zoo about 8 miles west.

If you have small kids there is a spray park by the butterfly house at the foot of the Navarre bridge.

Anyone had any bad experiences using VRBO for rentals at Summerwind or Beach Colony on Nevarre Beach? I like both of these condo complexes and I *assume* my deal will be better using an owner thru VRBO than using a rental agency....yes or no??/

I haven't but I have always gone with Navarre Properties. I can't compare to VRBO terms but their terms are more lenient than several of the other companies as to depost & refunds. I got on their mailing list and have received special offers from them several times since. On our last trip in May, we got one night free.

I hope you love Navarre as much as we do!!

My mom did ours for BeachColony thru VRBO. She does things a little different, she'll email a few people asking if they'll accept XXamount of $$ and based on what they reply back she chooses the best offer. I believe ours for end of June ended up being like $1700, it was a very nice 3 bedroom, even my husband loved staying there and he is't a beach type of guy :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter