Budget..... I'm in shock right now... (rant of an old person here)

The same is true for many luxury goods & experiences— many, if not all, are rising far, far faster than inflation. A lift ticket at Vail increased by a larger % over the last 20 years than a ticket a Disneyland.

Globally, the rich have been getting richer and companies can afford to raise prices dramatically because demand continues, even at these prices, to far outstrip supply

My health insurance premiums are going up 14% starting in January. I'm a little sick of this inflation.

Maybe thanksgiving turkeys are now "luxury" goods too.. 'cause the prices I'm seeing in the grocery store are way higher than last year - like $3/lb.

Maybe thanksgiving turkeys are now "luxury" goods too.. 'cause the prices I'm seeing in the grocery store are way higher than last year - like $3/lb.

i certainly didn’t mean to imply only luxury goods were inflating, merely that they’ve been increasing at a significantly higher rate than other goods for quite some time

Reactions: shh
Debt is keeping it going. It has been this way for years, people counteract their non-ability to afford it by using debt. Same reason we have a $35k automobile average or high home cost average. Take on more debt and it's affordable again.
That’s not what I got from this board. I refuse to take on unnecessary debt, and I’m certainly not doing it for a vacation and I like vacations. I agree with OP, the value isn’t there anymore.

i certainly didn’t mean to imply only luxury goods were inflating, merely that they’ve been increasing at a significantly higher rate than other goods for quite some time

Oh...no worries - it was my feeble attempt at a joke. $3/lb for uncooked whole turkeys was sort of a shock to me...it just FEELS like a luxury item considering it's more per pound now than some pretty darn good meat cuts - turkey used to be the cheap choice. And my boarshead deli meats - omg - $10-15/lb now! Used to be $7-8. I'm cutting back and buying just 1/4 and 1/3 lb packages instead of 3/4-1lb. :crazy2:

I guess it's not all that diff from WDW pricing Motel 6 style value resorts like they're 4-star Hiltons.

Today I picked up boneless skinless chicken thighs. $6.99 a pound. Crazy! Not organic, store brand.
I cringed and then hubby walks in and said he gassed up at $3.69 A gallon. Our Taxes went up, dues went up, food is up, gas is up, Everything is UP and likely to get worse.

I just canceled an 8 day stay, moved it a week, grabbed res rate, now 6 days and moved down to a moderate and not even a view room. I want to go and figured that I’d do our typical trip another time since I have two other larger vacations already planned for later in the year.

The prices are INSANE!!! Unfortunately Disney vacations are unaffordable for most, especially if you have to travel by plane and have the Canadian currency. I estimate it'll cost me about $4800 CAD (about $3850 US) for 6 days...add in Universal for 3 days and I'm up to $6,000 CAD. And that doesn't even include a Disney resort! I booked a MUCH cheaper resort outside of Disney, but I'm hoping to rent some DVC points for a couple of nights at least!

The prices are INSANE!!! Unfortunately Disney vacations are unaffordable for most, especially if you have to travel by plane and have the Canadian currency. I estimate it'll cost me about $4800 CAD (about $3850 US) for 6 days...add in Universal for 3 days and I'm up to $6,000 CAD. And that doesn't even include a Disney resort! I booked a MUCH cheaper resort outside of Disney, but I'm hoping to rent some DVC points for a couple of nights at least!
Oh, and that's for 2 people.

That’s not what I got from this board. I refuse to take on unnecessary debt, and I’m certainly not doing it for a vacation and I like vacations. I agree with OP, the value isn’t there anymore.
My post isn't related to exclusively this board and the general demographic that is here. I quoted other peoples' statements that I took in general about Disney, prices, and incomes. As was said, prices are rising more than wages. Ask the question why? Because in a capitalistic market, the product will sell for what people are willing to pay for it. Note I said "willing" and not "able to afford." As wages have not kept up, how can people willing to pay the price pay that price? It is because people are willing to go into debt. This is the general population, not specifically the Disboards demographic.

If the current prices are packing the parks, then the current prices are not "ridiculous, insane, unaffordable" or any other descriptive I've read in this thread. The current prices are reasonable and where they are because people are willing enough to pay that the parks are packed. If the parks were half empty, then one could say the price is unreasonable.

When looking at it in that perspective, you have to look at the reason the prices are what they are. If you have 10 spots and 20 people who want those spots, then the reasonable price is the point at which 10 of those people will pay for said spots. If you have 20 spots and 20 people who want those spots, then the price obviously needs to be set to the point where all 20 people are willing to pay for the spots. And if you have 10 spots and only 5 of the 20 are willing to pay for said spots, then your price needs to come down if you want all 10 of those spots sold.

With the Disney parks that are packed, does one assume everyone there is of the demographic on this site, never taking debt, larger than average discretionary income, all needs reasonably met financially paying to go to the Disney parks or is it a reasonable assumption to state that many of the people in the parks are there because they put it on a credit card? Those people who put it on a credit card (assuming because no money not because they pay the cc off and utilize it for points only of course) you can argue certainly they can't afford it, but they are still willing to pay and Disney sells the spots to fill the parks. If you want Disney to lower prices, then you need to pick a point and not just complain with your wallet out but to say no, that is too much and I won't pay. If enough people did this, instead of complaining while handing over their moneys or be willing to go into debt to go to Disney, then Disney would make less money, therefore need to lower the price to sell more of their spots to again increase profit.

This is across the board in respect to our economy (here in the US obviously, other countries are different.) Car prices, iPhone prices, movie prices, concert prices, anything that is not a necessity, the cost is directly related to how much we are willing to pay for whatever the product is. You need food. You don't need an iPhone or to eat out or to go see a movie. If you are willing to pay for the product, you can not make the statement that it costs too much. It costs just right in order for you to purchase said product.

Almost everyone in discussions about costs blame one thing, greed. But they have the wrong perpetrator they are calling greedy. It is us, the consumer who is greedy. We have stated we are willing to get what we want no matter how much it costs. We the consumer think that we are entitled to everything and we the consumer call the companies greedy when they won't give us what we want for the price we want. In reality, the companies are only charging the price that the greedy entitled consumer is willing to give.

Last edited:
Oh...no worries - it was my feeble attempt at a joke. $3/lb for uncooked whole turkeys was sort of a shock to me...it just FEELS like a luxury item considering it's more per pound now than some pretty darn good meat cuts - turkey used to be the cheap choice. And my boarshead deli meats - omg - $10-15/lb now! Used to be $7-8. I'm cutting back and buying just 1/4 and 1/3 lb packages instead of 3/4-1lb. :crazy2:

I guess it's not all that diff from WDW pricing Motel 6 style value resorts like they're 4-star Hiltons.
Is that $3 turkey a run of the mill crappy Butterball or are you talking organic, from the butcher, or from the farm turkey? The run of the mill crappy Butterball is I think $1.09 these days, it's the good stuff that is $3 and always has been $3 here. Might be more than $3 now. $3 for a Butterball is a WOW factor.

Car prices, iPhone prices, movie prices, concert prices, anything that is not a necessity, the cost is directly related to how much we are willing to pay for whatever the product is. You need food. You don't need an iPhone or to eat out or to go see a movie. If you are willing to pay for the product, you can not make the statement that it costs too much. It costs just right in order for you to purchase said product.

Yup. I live life exactly this way. There are many discretionary experiences or things I could buy - but I am perfectly fine declining most - because many are unreasonably priced to me. And by "reasonable", I don't mean I'm looking for the cheapest thing. WDW was never cheap. But I happily spent because the value was there. Now that money goes to Universal and other destinations that offer better value.

That discipline and willingness to "nope" out of overpriced goods, services and experiences is why I will likely get to retire early and debt-free, despite a modest salary with zero pension.

Last edited:
Is that $3 turkey a run of the mill crappy Butterball or are you talking organic, from the butcher, or from the farm turkey? The run of the mill crappy Butterball is I think $1.09 these days, it's the good stuff that is $3 and always has been $3 here. Might be more than $3 now. $3 for a Butterball is a WOW factor.
Yup...we're talking run of the mill crappy butterball. It's crazy.

You have my sympathies. Here (NC), crappy Butterballs are $0.87/lb at Aldi's this week. Normally, I go for store-brand, generally running $0.39-0.59/lb. But, I picked up a Butterball at Aldi's this morning, so I'm sure to have a turkey on Thanksgiving. If I see a cheaper price somewhere, I'll pick up a second turkey, and cook one of them at a later date. I'm also waiting to see if Publix has their (comparative) bargain prime rib--we typically do a standing rib roast on Christmas. I think last year it was $5.99/lb, and extremely delicious (I bought 3, total, because my DH is a huge fan).

Today I picked up boneless skinless chicken thighs. $6.99 a pound. Crazy! Not organic, store brand.
I cringed and then hubby walks in and said he gassed up at $3.69 A gallon. Our Taxes went up, dues went up, food is up, gas is up, Everything is UP and likely to get worse.

I just canceled an 8 day stay, moved it a week, grabbed res rate, now 6 days and moved down to a moderate and not even a view room. I want to go and figured that I’d do our typical trip another time since I have two other larger vacations already planned for later in the year.

You are right about the increases in every day items! I think the cumulative effect all these increases are causing might make vacationing at WDW, or anywhere else, a no - go. Our property taxes are up along with everything else and we are retired now, but fortunate to have a savings.
I wonder if all this is going to lead to a recession in the future. I hate to think of that. If the increased cost of living continues I wonder if WDW will see a big downfall in attendance in the future? The post covid travel will not last forever, IMO.

I'm guessing there won't be any big downturn at WDW in the near future. (who knows longer term)

Many may have extra dollars in the vacation budget due to not doing as much during the pandemic (didn't spend as much on vacations and going out). Also, the stock market rises over the pandemic period (after a short downturn for a few months) have been crazy and maybe some might feel more secure financially and more willing to do a few splurges due to greatly increased net worth based on stock market portfolios. Income might not be up, but net worth is up.

Many too might be still forgoing international travel (might not like the extra testing and risk of not being able to get back to the US due to a potential positive COVID-19 test (even if vaccinated -- mild break thru case) meaning many from the US who might have gone abroad, might be sticking closer to home and doing WDW which despite the increased cost which is probably in many cases less costly than that international trip.

These are just a few thoughts about why people might be willing to spend more on luxuries like a WDW park ticket despite the high price. I fit into all of those categories. It may be higher priced than ever, but that park ticket at WDW is to me an affordable luxury that brings a lot of pleasure/joy (we have so much fun on a park day). I know we decided to do two park days at WDW in March, and I am really looking forward to going.

Last edited:
I saw a comparison that last year a 16-18 lb turkey cost about $22. This year the same turkey is like $56! That is a huge increase if true.

Reactions: shh
Butterballs are .89lb at BJs this year. If you buy $100 worth of qualified products, you get a free turkey. I only bought products I knew we used, but I did get a 17.94 lb turkey free.
That’s awesome. Congrats on the deal.

I have never gotten to WDW for less than at least $5K Canadian (and I stay offsite). And I have not been since 2019, so this was definitely pre-Covid prices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter