Budget..... I'm in shock right now... (rant of an old person here)

sarah4770 and loveswdw, Sounds like both have you have probably already been everywhere and done everything National Park wise (and you've probably already been here), but wanted to mention our recent surprise and delight in staying at Custer State Park in South Dakota (accommodations, dining, wildlife were just amazing). The quality of the lodging and dining were of such great quality for the price compared to our National Parks and very much like our National Parks with beauty and wildlife all around. This state park is definitely on our list to return to. If you are ever in the area or are hitting other places around there, it's a great place to spend a few nights IMHO. They have the largest buffalo herd in the US behind Yellowstone and feeding the feral burros carrots was just a blast too. There all kinds of other wildlife to see too all over every time we drove from our housekeeping cabin near the game lodge to any of the lodges for dinner we'd see so much. We stayed in a super sweet two bedroom / two bath housekeeping cabin near the game lodge. Th lodges looked wonderful too, but with two couples I picked the cabin instead of two lodge rooms. What a delight. As I am often paying for two rooms or a condo now (bringing 20 somethings along and paying for them and wanting to stay within my reasonably modest vacation budget), I'm one to look for that National Park type experience at a more affordable price with a good value / high quality accommodations, and Custer State park sure fit the bill for me.
filing this away in my travel notes.....:thumbsup2
I would agree. There is so much to do and see in Yellowstone (geyser features are like another planet) and the Tetons (great area - so beautiful) and things are already really spread out there. South Dakota is way too far away from there IMHO for the same trip. I would save South Dakota for a different trip.

Custer State Park, though, FYI is a great base for seeing Mount Rushmore (scenic loop you can do to go up to Mount Rushmore from there). There are some National Park caves south of Custer State park too that if you were interested in seeing would be easy to see staying at Custer State park as a base. This is the site for Custer State Park lodging: https://custerresorts.com/lodges-and-cabins/

All of the lodges look great as a place to stay, and they have rustic cabins and new cabins also. We did one of the two bedroom / two bath newer housekeeping cabins near the game lodge which is really nice for two couples. Here is a link to the type of cabins where we stayed: https://custerresorts.com/lodges-an...ccommodations/cabins/housekeeping-cabin-b2b2/

Many will see the Badlands National Park on the same trip (a good hour and a 1/2 from Custer State Park) and possibly go up and hit the Spearfish area (about two hours away in a different direction) often combining exploring the Spearfish area with a drive over to see with Devils Tower. Each of those is a little farther away, and we typically if doing those with do an overnight closer to those combined with a few nights at Custer State Park.
this is all great info! saving it for future reference.....IMHO yes those in park (national) places are pricey....but when you get to stay RIGHT next to those sights and wonders (Old Faithful cabins!) it's so worth it! I consider it a very different thing from a theme park experience where the various costs pile up on one another....

We've found that we've been able to do a lot of different trips that are just as much fun (or more) than WDW for less money. Once we broke the bubble it became easier and easier to not go back. I imagine I'll feel differently once grandchildren start to arrive, but I really don't see WDW as being a primary vacation destination for us anymore.
Totally agree and we have a 6 and an 11 year old. When we canceled our 2020 trip and I started getting things refunded it really hit home the true cost of everything. The vacations we have taken since have been fantastic and are focused more on doing things rather than standing in lines and then watching stuff.
We will (hopefully) be in Florida in March but given cost and other stuff to do we are not likely to visit a Disney park. Will be back someday but yeah, it’s definitely no longer an essential experience for us and cost has played a part in that.

sarah4770 and loveswdw, Sounds like both have you have probably already been everywhere and done everything National Park wise (and you've probably already been here), but wanted to mention our recent surprise and delight in staying at Custer State Park in South Dakota (accommodations, dining, wildlife were just amazing). The quality of the lodging and dining were of such great quality for the price compared to our National Parks and very much like our National Parks with beauty and wildlife all around. This state park is definitely on our list to return to. If you are ever in the area or are hitting other places around there, it's a great place to spend a few nights IMHO. They have the largest buffalo herd in the US behind Yellowstone and feeding the feral burros carrots was just a blast too. There all kinds of other wildlife to see too all over every time we drove from our housekeeping cabin near the game lodge to any of the lodges for dinner we'd see so much. We stayed in a super sweet two bedroom / two bath housekeeping cabin near the game lodge. Th lodges looked wonderful too, but with two couples I picked the cabin instead of two lodge rooms. What a delight. As I am often paying for two rooms or a condo now (bringing 20 somethings along and paying for them and wanting to stay within my reasonably modest vacation budget), I'm one to look for that National Park type experience at a more affordable price with a good value / high quality accommodations, and Custer State park sure fit the bill for me.
Thanks, kathy884! South Dakota is hopefully our next stop. We haven't gotten up that way yet. I will absolutely check out that state park.

Add us to the list of people who can afford Disney, but don’t find the value “worth it” as much anymore-and that’s with significantly discounted tickets and accommodations. We are going again this summer by fluke-I matched AKV Savannah rooms with my RCI search. DVC has left RCI, so this is my last chance at matching. We are able to buy military promo tickets. When all is said and done the value of what I’m getting is great, but after years of getting more bang for my buck, it’s hard to fork over the money. We are planning on less park days and more eating in our room as well. $250 for a table service dining experience that’s hit or miss, does not sit well with us.

Prior Free fass passes.
I added genie plus for two days for 3 people. And ILL for a day.
The one day was $120 on top of tickets :( but the wait times were all over 60 minutes most were over 85 and it was at a non busy time.

Hijacking this thread. This is a perfect thread for ranting/venting for me, since I just went online and bought a bunch of expensive theme parks tickets. And I really shouldn't rant or vent because we all have a choice to go to the parks (which are pretty cool and exceptional) and pay or not go and not pay, and I was actually in my right mind when I bought these tickets (well DH might not agree on that lol). Prices were not a surprise for me, as I priced things out well ahead of time (like a year ago), budgeted for this trip, and am super excited to be spending time with my wonderful extended family group. I also am well aware of the better deals for sticking to just one park family. Five out of our party of eleven are only doing one theme park day, by the way, (just one day at SeaWorld).

For the occasional visitor it's pay to play for sure for the theme parks if just doing a day trip to a theme park here or there at a busy time. I just forked over $345 pp for four in our party who want to do the a one day park to park experience at Universal on our March trip. That's similar to the cost of a pretty good seat at a superstar concert (Taylor Swift for example). Here's the breakdown: $194 pp for the Universal/IOA ticket park to park ticket, $130 for the one time express pass, and $21 for tax. For what our group wanted to do, making a touring plan with and without EP, no EP made it look like it wouldn't even be worth going. The least expensive one night room day before or day of that includes the EP (Universal deluxe hotels include an EP for the night you stay and the day you check, but doesn't include theme park admission), was $745 a night - -would have given unlimited EP, but for one day all they wanted was the one time EP. So that throw away room would have made the EPs for four $186 pp rather the $130 plus tax since we're just going one day. Luckily for the ole budget, only four in our party of eleven wanted to do a day there. Many people for Universal/IOA/Volcano Bay do the three park days plus two free deal, which certainly makes for a super low cost per day by comparison. But if you only want to do one day there and mostly want to do other things on your Orlando trip, that deal is not going to be for you. By the way, Touringplans.com is who I used (the unofficial guide to WDW people) for doing a custom touring plan with and without EP, starting with their standard one day Universal/IOA park to park plan and then customizing based on our group's preferences.

Six in our party of eleven are doing two Disney days. General cost is about $125 per day pp for our popular spring break time, no hoppers. We'll fork over for LL / Genie plus for four of the six too (budgeted an extra $45 pp per day for that), so for four the cost per day at Disney could be as high as $170 per day. With the chill stuff the two are doing Genie plus/LL won't be needed for them.

Eleven out of our eleven will go to SeaWorld -- good bargain compared to other places ($90 online for a one day ticket purchased in advance). Some have season passes too with some freebies for getting others in. That park IMHO is the best Orlando theme park for a multi-generation group to have fun together.

Two of our days will have no theme park costs: Chill out pool day in the morning/early afternoon and chill out family BBQ late afternoon/evening (one in our party lives in Orlando and we'll all chill at his place for the afternoon-evening). And one of our days will be a nature paddleboard excursion (my nephew has his own paddleboard / nature tour company) and will be taking some of us out on a nature paddle-boarding excursion, and we'll have the older set watch the others for a short while and then hang at Coco beach. We'll all do a BBQ on the beach that evening too.

And I have to say our condo accommodations at the lovely offsite Sheraton Vistana resort were a really good deal (great price for the quality).

I'm very excited to be doing this trip with my wonderful family/extended family, but with my bean counter personality forking over the funds for some of the theme park tickets was a little painful.

Last edited:
For the occasional visitor it's pay to play for sure for the theme parks if just doing a day trip to a theme park here or there at a busy time. I just forked over $345 pp for four in our party who want to do the a one day park to park experience at Universal on our March trip. That's similar to the cost of a pretty good seat at a superstar concert (Taylor Swift for example). Here's the breakdown: $194 pp for the Universal/IOA ticket park to park ticket, $130 for the one time express pass, and $21 for tax. For what our group wanted to do, making a touring plan with and without EP, no EP made it look like it wouldn't even be worth going. The least expensive one night room day before or day of that includes the EP (Universal deluxe hotels include an EP for the night you stay and the day you check, but doesn't include theme park admission), was $745 a night - -would have given unlimited EP, but for one day all they wanted was the one time EP. So that throw away room would have made the EPs for four $186 pp rather the $130 plus tax since we're just going one day. Luckily for the ole budget, only four in our party of eleven wanted to do a day there. Many people for Universal/IOA/Volcano Bay do the three park days plus two free deal, which certainly makes for a super low cost per day by comparison. But if you only want to do one day there and mostly want to do other things on your Orlando trip, that deal is not going to be for you. By the way, Touringplans.com is who I used (the unofficial guide to WDW people) for doing a custom touring plan with and without EP, starting with their standard one day Universal/IOA park to park plan and then customizing based on our group's preferences.

Yowza!!!
We haven't been to USO in a long time but when our kids were young, we went very often and usually had annual passes. We started going in 2005 (before the Harry Potter days) when they were offering buy one year, get a year free APs. We only ever stayed at their deluxe hotels that include unlimited Express Pass because those 3 hotels were all they had. I do recall them adding some lower priced hotels but by then we loved the EP access that came with showing your room key. Once you try it, it's hard to go any other way.

So, I dug up the details on our most recent visit there in 2015. Sit down and have a cool towel to put on your forehead. :laughing:
We brought our niece on that trip to be a buddy for ds21, then age 15, while our older son was away at college. We must have still had APs then because we only bought one ticket. It was through UCT. $197.21 total for a 2-day Park to Park ticket plus 1 day free, so 3 days total. :eek:
We stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel Friday-Tuesday. Prices are always higher for Fri/Sat nights. Those were $187.85 per nt plus tax. Sunday/Monday was $174.85 plus tax. Granted, this was mid-September of that year, a very low demand time of year.

In May of 2019 we had another trip booked to attend our nephew's college graduation from St. Leo's near Tampa and an extended family group stay with all of his family at Royal Pacific. It was a little more than the prices I quoted above but not outrageous. We had to cancel when my mother became very ill, and they went without us.

No one could have predicted that they'd be more than tripling their prices just 2-3 years later. It really is highway robbery and the fact that people are still willing to pay, makes their executives feel completely justified to charge that much. I don't think I'll ever return except maybe someday if we have grandchildren.

ETA: I just wanted to add, the above hotel prices were probably AP Holder rates which back then would knock about $100/nt off the price of the hotel. So usually in one 3-night visit, an AP would pay for itself in reduced hotel costs. So even if we figure $100 more for a non-AP holder it was $287. Still crazy high now.

Last edited:
Yowza!!!
No one could have predicted that they'd be more than tripling their prices just 2-3 years later. It really is highway robbery and the fact that people are still willing to pay, makes their executives feel completely justified to charge that much. I don't think I'll ever return except maybe someday if we have grandchildren.
I agree. Pricing is seasonal, and we are (although I will say I love central Florida weather then - my favorite time to be there) going during a prime spring break week. Cost per day is way less too if you go for more than one day. It was really hard for me to believe that I actually budgeted for those tickets and bought them. I think I'm a sucker for the enthusiasm and fun my 20 somethings have at the parks and am probably a little too delighted to have them joining us. I loved it too that they really were prioritizing nature / family down day time and park time with other older relatives on this trip, and I wanted their one day over at Universal to be fun.

I just read about records profits at Universal and their plans to build another new theme park in Orlando (for three theme parks and the Volcano Bay water park - which by the way, my nephew who live in Orlando raves about being the best waterpark he's ever been to).

Last edited:
I agree. Pricing is seasonal, and we are (although I will say I love central Florida weather then - my favorite time to be there) going during a prime spring break week. Cost per day is way less too if you go for more than one day. It was really hard for me to believe that I actually budgeted for those tickets and bought them. I think I'm a sucker for the enthusiasm and fun my 20 somethings have at the parks and am probably a little too delighted to have them joining us. I loved it too that they really were prioritizing nature / family down day time and park time with other older relatives on this trip, and I wanted their one day over at Universal to be fun.

I just read about records profits at Universal and their plans to build another new theme park in Orlando (for three theme parks and the Volcano Bay water park - which by the way, my nephew who live in Orlando raves about being the best waterpark he's ever been to).
I understand. We paid outrageously last March once we were vaccinated to visit WDW. I was desperate for a vacation, and we paid $462/night for a studio at BCV. Rental car pricing was off the hook and at least WDW included DME which made the overall value more attractive. I could find much less expensive off-site accommodations but by the time we'd add rental car cost and parking, tolls and gas, the total was right back up there.

If the only other alternative is just staying home, which everyone has had quite enough of, then we just pay.
Now that cruises are operating again, their pricing is more attractive for overall value. So that has been our go to when we need to escape reality. If they start tripling those prices, I'm done.

I totally agree with you. Prices continue to go up and I am wondering how people can afford to keep going to Disney. With the amount of people still going, at these prices, Disney will continue to raise them.

Just wanted to comment on the National Parks theme.
They are all seasonal, at least the ones with cold winter, and they must make their money in the season. So if they are high like disney, that's why. They drop in the off season.
We used to own a seasonal resort in Mn. and that's when we made our money for the whole year. That's why I can see the seasonal prices for the north National parks, or at least understand it. That's the way we stayed in business and it's the same for the seasonal state parks too.IMO

Long car terms make zero sense. I have a four year note now, and that seems too long.

What will continue to happen is fewer and fewer people will be able to afford to go. They'll either take on debt and file for bankruptcy later or skip it altogether.

People have been saying this for as long as these boards have been in existence. And yet, Disney has continued to add hotel after hotel, DVC property after DVC property. Prices have and always will continue to go up....and for many periods of the year it's difficult to find availability. The parks are seemingly always crowded, with very few "low" days anymore, let alone entire months or periods of time like say...twenty years ago. There's an endless "festival" at Epcot....Run Disney this, Run Disney that....Cheer weekend, Jersey week....this week, that week. And yet people will continue to go. They certainly struggled during the pandemic, and continue to struggle to find help from what I read. But banks are offering credit like crazy right now. They backed off riskier lenders at the start of the pandemic, but now are aggressively seeking sub-prime borrowers right now.

People have been saying this kind of thing forever, that fewer and fewer people will be able to afford it. And while yes, we have inflation right now....there are still plenty of people who will be traveling to Disney. Bankruptcies actually fell sharply in the last year as people used a lot of that stimulus money to pay down their debts. So, I guess I'm not exactly worried about Disney.

OP here..... So I posted my original thoughts back in October...and considering a day hopper pass for my companion bc I have an older pass I could use for a day. I was well and truly horrified by the cost changes ...(we never ended up going to a park in Oct.) fast forward to this past week (Feb 22) and I was visiting the property again for a few days. Mostly just staycation fun,my companion really wanted to visit for one day in parks- so I bit the bullet and bought him the 1 day hopper. It was about $195... :scared: But I had all these months to steel myself to this new fact of life here at WDW.... So We did it, I justified the cost in my own mind:rotfl2: By dividing that cost in 1/2 (I get to use up old days on a NE ticket) and we hit MK and Studios at night .....(like I said, disney math in my own head lol) ROTR was incredible,and I will be the first to admit that hopping cost was worth that experience for the 2 of us. It was incredible,and we'd already decided we weren't returning for a few years at least, so in the balance, it was a one and done situation. The cost is too high to do this multiple times. I'm glad we were able to have this one opportunity, but don't plan on it again anytime soon. If ever,we shall see. I'm still hoping that Uni will offer some multi day deals at some point... they used to have some decent deals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter