Budget buster laundry detergent

Tink-n-MrIncredible

DIS Veteran
When I look at my grocery bill, laundry detergent and softner are a budget buster. Other than making my own any suggestions on a good quality detergent and softner for a reasonable price.

I make my own but when I used to buy it, I used Arm and Hammer. It is relatively cheap and it didn't irritate anyone's skin.

Try using less per load until you notice a difference. The convenient cap/cup they provide for measuring- happens to be provided by people who profit from you using more laundry detergent than you need to.

I use the cheap stuff, or any other that is BOGO. I go through a bottle or so a week..so the cheap stuff is $2.99 or something like that. I do a lot of laundry, and I use the full cap, and I also refuse to make my own. So $3 is fine for me.

i get the tide with a touch of downey and use vinger. i get the big jug for about $18 (hubby works at walmart so we get a small discount plus i always try and get a coupon.) so we only pay about $15ish. that big thing will last me about a month and a half if not longer. i just wash my and hubbys clothes in it and the kids in dreft. target has a big jug of dreft for $22. we stocked up on that when we got our taxes so we wont need any for awhile.

I use All or Arm & Hammer as both are "cheap" in my area. I have also used Sunlight with good results. I use about half the 'required' amount and make sure I rinse out the measuring cap well. I buy my fabric softener sheets at the dollar store, and only use half a sheet per dryer load.

The Purex 3 in 1 sheets are a terrific deal. They have the detergent, softener, and dryer sheets combined into one sheet that you toss into the washer and transfer to the dryer with the clothes. I've been using them for over a year. They work great -- and, they are a bargain!

ECOS brand - all natural liquid detergent. It does over 100 loads in a regular machine and over 200 in the new HE machines.

I pay about $14 for it up here. I found it at Costco and Canadian Tire.

I make my own. But, my sister uses Charlie's Soap. You have to order it on line. You use VERY little of it and she really likes it! And, she's awesome with a dollar!

I use All free and clear, I don't use a full amount (I use about half), they frequently have $1 or $2 off coupons, and frequently goes on sale at CVS, Wlagreens or Wal-mart. When its on sale I stock up!

Mind you, I don't have much other choices as I have to avoid sulfate (and thus rules out just about all other detergents) but I haven't spent more then $6 on detergent in a long time (and that was for the enormous container of it)

Tide with coupons. CVS and Meijer both have it on sale often. Meijer had the larger bottles for 8.99 last week, I used 3-1.00 off coupons to make it $24, then got another $7 off my next purchase of anything. That will last us 6 months.

If you knew what was in the fabric softener, then you'd probably not buy it. I read a going green book--most is made with animal fat. Haven't used it since. I do use vinegar when I need to; debating making my own detergent but haven't gotten past buying the Borax.

We have a high efficiency washer. We use Wisk HE on sale half off with coupons. I stock up whenever I can and never fill the cap but use just the amount needed.

I use All free and clear, I don't use a full amount (I use about half), they frequently have $1 or $2 off coupons, and frequently goes on sale at CVS, Wlagreens or Wal-mart. When its on sale I stock up!

Mind you, I don't have much other choices as I have to avoid sulfate (and thus rules out just about all other detergents) but I haven't spent more then $6 on detergent in a long time (and that was for the enormous container of it)

I use All Free&Clear or any store brand Free& Clear. CVS, Purex, and Target all make a version of the free& clear stuff. I buy what ever is cheap!

I buy whatever free/clear is cheapest. I bought a 95 load jug of Sun Free and Clear for $7ish at Big Lots. It works just fine. I prefer All or Purex because it's a bit more concentrated, but I toss in some Oxiclean on particulary dirty stuff and I'm good to go (my SIL bought a 10 lb. bucket of Oxiclean ages ago and then didn't like it, so I got it!) I tried making my own a while back, but I think I used the wrong type of soap in the recipe because it left little greasy spots on my clothes. It worked OK, though. If I try again I'll use Ivory (I used another unscented soap but it must have had oil in it).

I can only use one type of laundry detergent and no fabric softener due to allergies.

I found vinegar works great as a fabric softner and the laundry detergent, I buy in bulk when it's on sale - 5 or 6 bottles at a time.

That seems to have helped me alot.

When I don't make my own I use the 365 Brand from Whole Foods (Citrus Scent Laundry Detergent) and it's only $8.99 for 128 Oz. (64 loads). I use vinegar for softener and these citrus dryer sheets from Whole Foods. I haven't missed the name brand stuff at ALL....

Just out of curiosity....Why don't you want to make your own?

Its easier to purchase it made already.

Its easier to purchase it made already.

It literally takes me 30 minutes once every 3-4 months to make my own. I would spend more time than that going down the laundry aisle at Walmart every other week:)

Mine costs me around $15 three or four times a year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter