• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Broken ankle, booked for parasailing

anricat

DIS Veteran
We are booked for parasailing on CC, but my daughter just broke her ankle today. I'm going to assume that parasailing is a going to be a no-go. Anyone had experience?

What a mess. I'm having to cancel so many of our excursions (we're usually super active people and seek adventure). I hate to cancel this one too. We're not really sit at the beach or swim in the surf type people so I have no idea what we are going to do a CC. This is such a bummer for us.

As an aside, any tips for a cruise with 14 year old with a broken ankle? I don't know what her situation will be yet. We just got back from urgent care and she's currently in a boot, but we need to followup with an orthopedist on Monday morning. Some friends brought over a knee scooter. Traveling with it sounds cumbersome, but it seems like it might help her be more mobile getting around the ship.

The last few times we were at CC parasailing was cancelled as were most PA. I think they are still having trouble getting the vendors from the main island.

I don't have any experience with this but just wanted to wish you good luck. I hope she heals quickly and as painlessly as possible.

If parasailing happens, I don't see why she couldn't participate. As long as she can get into the harness and take off her boot, she should be good to go. They dip you in the water, so you'll want to keep the boot dry. We always like to rent bikes. She may be able to do that also, as the island is pretty flat. I like snorkeling, which also can be fun without stressing the ankle too much. I think an active 14 year old will find a way to have a good time at Castaway Cay. It's a bummer that this happened before your cruise, but the plus side may be the extra attention she will get from the cast members! Have fun!

I suspect they will take one look at the boot and say no for liability reasons as they wouldn’t want to either aggravate her injury or be in a situation where she goes in the water and can’t swim. Disney is a play it safe kind of company. The website does not specifically mention broken ankles but the other exclusions seem similar in nature:
  • Guests may not participate if they are pregnant, require a walker, have had recent surgeries, have heart or respiratory conditions or have back and neck injuries.
You could always keep the reservation and ask on the island (assuming her doctor is okay with it). If they turn her away, odds are pretty good they’d refund u.

We always like to rent bikes.
We did this last month when all the excursions were cancelled and it was so much more fun than we thought it would be! It's may sound funny, but we all agreed it was the highlight of our cruise.

My son broke his foot a month before our vacation to Key West. I am sure a broken ankle is worse than a foot, but he was told to really try and stay off the foot - and be careful with his activities while it healed. He was supposed to wear the boot for 4 weeks, but I think he wore it a week. I would not have been comfortable with him parasailing - the doctor said if anything happened to the foot while it was healing, he would most likely need surgery.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter