Broke the news to my mother!

Sam, well said!

Everyone,

Even though most of us know the difficulties in having a Destination wedding. (Which btw is NOT the same as planning a fun family vacation =)) But to add on top of this an international destination wedding I am sure adds to the difficulity 100 fold. Sam can contest to this fact. The expense alone is prohibited. That being said, Summer should have the wedding that she dreams of.

My story

I decide I wanted a Disney wedding eith my fiance. We did not want to have a wedding in the city where we live b/c of the multitudes of people (more than 300) we would have to invite and pay for. As it was we invited 78 to Disney. Way more than I wanted. To give you an idea we mainly paid for the wedding ourselves.

My dad had an adversion to me getting married in Disney. Come to find out it was b/c I was not getting married in a church. I asked him if God was with us everywhere. If he was, then why would he not be with us while we were outside in a garden. He finally agreed. I spent more time agonizing over having a Destination wedding and went through all of the options mentioned here. I can tell you that I spilled alot of tears over my decision. No one helped to make it easy. But finally decided that we would suck up the budget no matter what and would figure it out.

Finally, I had to say be there or not, that is up to you. Selfish or not, I knew that I would always regret not having a Disney wedding but I also knew that my dad would be there for me. Sometimes our parents are used to having us do what they want and they don't understand how we have grown up.

Do I think you should pay for your mother to come?

Nope. If she would like to attend, she is more than willing to pay to come.

What about her being alone?

My 87 year old grandmother came. I was really worried about her being by herself. She told me not to worry about it, that she would be fine on her own. In that spirit, have her look at the UK forums on this board and chat with some people that will be going down at the same time to see if she could hang out. There is also an adults and singles forum. She does not have to stay the 3 weeks. If she does come, plan to have a special dinner with her during that time.

Remember that you should not have to give up anything to have your dream wedding or your honeymoon. I think you figure out by yourself what you can compromise on, and what you are not willing. Make changes where you can, and always look into alternatives.

I hope that this helps! I think that all of us who have done a Disney wedding have hit these hot spots.

Summer-Caitlin said:
bubbaloo311

Many people seem to forget that my mum wants the Church Wedding, I do not. She does not want me to get married in Disney, so where will she compromise? I'm stuck, I either give up my dream Wedding and get married here or beg her to LET me get married in Disney or elope. Which is why I opted on the latter.

I love my mother and I now am wondering whether I should look into having a blessing upon my return so she can attend this.

Summer-Caitlin this sounds like the way you can go...I'm not quite sure what a "blessing" is but it sounds good.

And remember selfish does not equal spoiled. For everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven... There is a time to be selfish in life and there is a time to compromise. Your time to be selfish is in how you want to have your wedding and honeymoon. IMHO your time to compromise would be in the reception. You do not owe your mother a church wedding, you do not owe your mother a compromise on the date of the wedding.

You do seem to be seeking approval from the disboards. I say that because you are arguing your case as well as presenting information. There is no need for this. We do not matter. Those who think you are wrong in your decision will continue to do so. Those who think you are right will most likely continue in that vain. Those who don't really care will continue not to care.

doubletrouble_vb said:
You do seem to be seeking approval from the disboards. I say that because you are arguing your case as well as presenting information. There is no need for this. We do not matter. Those who think you are wrong in your decision will continue to do so. Those who think you are right will most likely continue in that vain. Those who don't really care will continue not to care.

I do have to agree with this quote. Summer-Caitlyn {hug} please do not feel that you have to justify your actions to us - but I'm sure arguing your case is helping you to then go back and argue it with your mother, sometimes when I have difficult decisions to make it helps to talk about them out loud. Still thinking about you on this {{hug}}

Thanks for the words of support on this :grouphug:

I have decided that it is for the best that my fiance and I stick to our guns on this and have the wedding on our own. I have thought long and hard about this, but there are many reasons why I think it is for the best.

However I have compromised. I am looking into organising a renewal of vows when we arrive home, not in a Church but in the Town Hall. We will then all have our reception meal at a wonderful Vietnamese Restaurant, they have a huge selection of food that I'm sure will please everyone. I'm at present seeing whether I will be allowed to wear my Wedding Dress to the meal as we will be in the main dining hall.

This is the best I can do as far as my situation goes, everyone should be happy enough with the arrangements, but again you can't please everyone and I'm sure there will be some grumbles, most likely from my brother and his new wife :guilty:

This wasn't an easy decision for me and if I am being selfish because I want our wedding and honeymoon to be a certain way, then I guess I am on this occassion. I will talk to my mum tonight and I hope she understands. I will let you all know how I get on.

I am so happy for you Hun! Good luck with your family! Kepp us posted on how things are going! We wish you the absolute best!

Secondly,

I have been rude myself on this thread and I am sorry to all of those that i may have offended or hurt. We all have very passionate feelings about this and there is nothing wrong with ANY of us having an opinion. From the bottom of my Disney heart I apologize for my ways! :grouphug:

My wife and I had our dream wedding planned in Las Vegas with romantic candle light ceremony (not at a cheezy elvis chapel) and dinner for all the guests afterward and my family totally flipped out that they couldn't afford to goto Las Vegas to see us. So my wife decided to change our plans ( I still wanted to go) and have our wedding here in Peterborough to appease my family and we would just honeymoon in Vegas. Well just before our wedding a house came on the market we just couldn't afford to say no to so there went our honeymoon money and Vegas, and to top things off my mother and brother decided not to come to the wedding 6 days before our wedding date. My other sister that couldn't afford to come and see us get married in Vegas went on a trip to Vegas 2 months after our wedding for two weeks as well. So I guess what I am trying to say here is that no matter what you do, someone will get hurt. We have been married for 10 years now and will be celebrating our anniversary this Oct 4/06 at Le Cellier and of course we will be at Disney. We haven't made it to Vegas yet as we started a family early after getting married but we will get there sometime. Do what is right for you as in the end it is you two that have to live with each other. Yes your mother will be dissappointed, but does she want to ruin your dreams? She already had hers. Make sure you get a good video done and she will probably have a better view watching that than if she had been there anyways. I regret not doing what we had planned 10 years ago because neither of us really wanted a regular wedding here, don't be the same.

Rob (Snowwhite's DH)

I decided to read all the posts before I put in my two cents. Caitlin, this is your wedding, your day. Yes weddings can be about two families coming together, but ultimately they are about two individuals coming together and starting a new family. This is not a day that you want to look back on with regret for the rest of your life, so do what you and your fiance want. :grouphug:

I had to post on here...it really amazes me how many people on here think they have a right to tell a couple what to do for their wedding.

No matter how you get married or where you get married....there will be at least one person not happy. My DH and I grew up in two different churches (same city)...I joined his church while we were still dating. We got married in his church. People at my home church were upset I didn't have it at that church (apparently having our wedding at a church 30 minutes away from the other church was considered a "destination wedding" in their mind). Someone was upset that we didn't want to do the "dollar dance" at our reception. My MIL was furious that I had requested the rehearsal dinner come AFTER the actual rehearsal since a couple of our people had to leave early so we wanted to make sure they knew what was going on. You know what? You can't please everyone...and you should even try to do it. If people are so petty that they can't understand that this is NOT their wedding...then that's their problem. I had to tell several people that this wedding was not about them...there was no way someone was going to change what my DH and I wanted. The marriage only has room for two people...and I can guarantee you that no one outside the bride and groom themselves will be one of those two people. A wedding a joining of two people in marriage. And outside people cannot make demands on a marriage that is not theirs.

I understand the sentimentality of the mother wanting to be there. I get it. But I also get that this is not the mom's wedding...it is her daughter's wedding. This couple has a dream...and bending it to someone else's dream will do nothing but leave regret behind. And NO ONE wants a regretful wedding day. I look back on my wedding and I am thrilled I never bent to anyone's demands or expectations. Our wedding turned out exactly how WE wanted it...not what someone else wanted. I can only imagine how horrible I'd feel if we never had the wedding we dreamed of. It was our wedding, our marriage...not someone elses. If a couple begins to start changing everything around in their wedding just to make other people happy...I can only imagine how that might continue in the marriage if someone decides the couple isn't doing "this or that" right.

Summer-Caitlin, more power to you for following your heart and dreams. This is your wedding and marriage....no one has the right to tell you what to do for that. Those who think they have that right have some growing up to do. Don't forfeit what you and your DF dream of...you don't want to look back and think of all the what ifs.

Hi Summer, I'm so pleased that your are following your heart.

I did have a little thought for you though, it is something that I'm doing myself with my Mum. Is there any way that you can involve her in some of the lead up to the wedding? Like helping you with the flowers or invitations for the reception. Something that will help her to feel needed.
The reason I say this is because my Fiance and I are totally organising our wedding and although my Mum is attending I think she feels a little left out as there is nothing for her to do, so I have asked her to do my make up the morning of the wedding. She was so thrilled to be asked that she nearly cried and it obviously made her feel needed.
Plus there is also the dress shopping (not sure if you have a dress yet), take her with you even if you already have a design in mind. It really does make a difference.
Big :grouphug: to you and I hope everything works out for you.

you're not selfish for telling her not to go! it's your day. you just want something small and intimate.

i'd LOVE to not invite my mother, but that's not for financial reasons lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter