Bringing breakfast

If you're packing liquid - and remember, it's heavy and the airlines do charge for overweight luggage - PLEASE do everything possible to ensure it doesn't leak onto/into other passengers' luggage if the container should rupture.

Wrap well in towels or plastic, insert in zip-top plastic bags, seal, insert in larger zip-top plastic bags, perhaps place it all in a sealable plastic container (box), and put in the middle of the suitcase surrounded by clothing etc. on all sides. No, I'm not joking. It doesn't even matter if nothing's broken before.

On our first family trip to WDW we stayed in a 1bdrm at VWL and placed a Garden Grocer order. I felt the prices were comparable to a regular grocery store prices excluding sales/coupons. The service was good (one minor mishap, they corrected it - perhaps not as quickly as I would have liked but it was fine in the end). I will say I did order WAY too much!
Since then we've had the fortune to get free dining so I just pack breakfast items with a few snack items that fly with us and buy a half gallon on milk at the resort. I put cereal into snack or sandwich sized zip locks so they are already portioned out and the kids just drink a cup of milk and much on dry cereal. I am thinking of bringing a few bowls with this time as the whole family seems to be eating more cereal now than our last trip. I bring granola/nutrigrain/special K bars, pop tarts - they can be breakfast or snack. I did bring a package of english muffins last time as our fridge swap had a toaster (and we're in the same fridge swap now). I recall one day one of the kids needed a "meal" at an odd time and my Mom had a pack of peanut butter and a pack of jelly from *somewhere* (typical Mom "oh you never know when we'll need this") and I made an impromptu PB&J with the english muffins.

HTH! :wizard:

we always fly but my parent live closer and always meet us and they stop for breakfast foods. we usually get yogurts, granola bars, oj and milk and maybe donuts. i like that fast that it gives more time to hit parks in the am before its busy.

I don't get how it is cheaper than sending a box. Last year I sent a relatively large box through FedEx for $9 + $5 Disney charge = $14

With GG your paying higher for the groceries, $12 delivery fee if it is under $200, and now they've added a $2 fuel surcharge, that's $14 plus tip for the driver.

YMMV, depending on how much you are planning on sending.

I've never been charged a Disney charge for having a box delivered and for three trips we have had a box plus a case of water delivered. It wasn't necessarily any cheaper than GG, but GG does have a limited selection - I was able to get exactly what I wanted plus I could buy it on sale or use from my stock at home.

Emily

I've never been charged a Disney charge for having a box delivered and for three trips we have had a box plus a case of water delivered. It wasn't necessarily any cheaper than GG, but GG does have a limited selection - I was able to get exactly what I wanted plus I could buy it on sale or use from my stock at home.

Emily

Disney charges if you are staying at a hotel with a convention center and the business center handles the package. The fee is either $5 or $10, depending on size.

Alternative to all the recommendations = WeGoShop.com

They will shop at the one store of your choice, therefore they will charge you the prices that store charges (e.g. Publix, SuperWalmart, etc.). Garden Grocer, because they have a standard price list, apparently shops at a single, unnamed, seemingly somewhat higher-priced store.

I may try this one for our upcoming trip.. thank you.
I've used Garden Grocer and been happy with the service. I do find it quite a bit pricier than what I would normally pay for groceries at home.

If you use wegoshop, they will shop at the store you specify, and get the exact brand/size you want. They'll only substitute if you say so.

Personally, I wouldn't bother bringing down cold stuff. I would buy it there. A quick stop at a convenience store would take 5 minutes, or they sell milk, etc. in the resort gift shops. I can't imagine it would be any more time or effort to stop, versus triple-bagging everything and remembering to buy ice, etc.

P.S. Parmalat makes shelf-stable milk, along the lines of the organic milk a PP mentioned. It tastes better cold, but you don't have to chill it until you arrive.

Don't have time to read all other responses, but here is what I have done in the past...

homemade muffins... make ahead, put in FoodSaver bags, and frozen. Pack last minute between layers of clothes in checked luggage. They were actually still cold when we arrived... and the freezing kept them from getting squished. Or you could put them in a small cardboard box if you were concerned about squishing.

Instant oatmeal, cream of wheat, or grits.... instant coffee, tea, cocoa. All you need is hot water. If your hotel doesn't provide a coffee maker, you could bring along a small electric kettle (like the kind kids use in dorms). Just be safe and be sure to unplug it every time.

Granola bars, Luna bars, and other such meal bars. Juice boxes and shelf-stable mix boxes... bagels(freeze before packing to keep them fresh and prevent squishing), cold cereal, peanut butter, Nutella, none of these things require refrigeration.

Like other posters mentioned, we shipped a box ahead of time many years ago when DS was experiencing some food allergies. I was concerned about finding the right stuff for him, so I shipped a pretty heavy box ahead of time with his rice milk, tapioca bread, peanut butter, and other snacks. Cost me about $20 at the time, but the convenience was worth its weight in gold!

Along with these foods don't forget some paper plates, heat-proof cups (for the oatmeal and coffee, etc), paper napkins or a roll of paper towels, and a few plastic utensils!

Good luck and have a great trip!.............P

We are flying and only going to be there from Thurs-Mon. Leave early Monday morning. I did garden grocer just to see what it would cost for what I want. It came to almost 60 dollars with the tip. I had water, pepsi, sunnyD, fruit(cut up fruit from the deli) and some blueberry muffins. so then I thought what if we get picked up with a town car. That was 70 without tip. So I have decided I hope our friend in Florida can help us out and just run us to Wal-mart for a quick shopping trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter