Brightline to Disney cancelled

My sister and brother in law have lived in Manhattan for almost 20 years. Number of times they've taken the subway or bus to any of the three airports? Zero. They always take a taxi or Uber. Number of times they take a taxi or Uber during their day in and day out commuting lives? Zero.

They have no kids by the way, but still won't face the hassle of lugging suitcases onto the subway. There's just no space for luggage, as there is none on any Disney buses once you reach Disney Springs. As someone said above, the RER train to Charles de Gaulle is also a commuter train and has no luggage racks.
My husband's uncle works everyday on Broadway. Now he lives in West New York, NJ but takes transit every day. Whenever he flies he always takes the subway to the airport. And he has a son with his wife and his son is autistic.

When we went to NJ/NYC for a work thing with my husband we took the PATH train from the Newark airport to Penn Station on the NJ side and my husband got a rental car from Enterprise (he needed it for work). Otherwise in that situation even as much as we rent cars wherever we go we wouldn't have rented a car.

Now whether someone wants to take a train on vacation (as has been brought up) is totally another conversation and is subjective. Like people who refuse to cook on vacation and don't see the point of a DVC room with a kitchenette or an airBNB where people buy groceries to cook their meals, I can understand that. But still my comment was more meant about the type of person who even looks at this option. Weighing the pros and cons of this option wasn't the point I was intending to make :flower3: as I can certainly see the cons.

The train was going to be used predominantly imo by international travels. The mco station is located at the new international terminal

for domestic travelers you would have to collect your luggage assuming you check luggage. Then jump in a tram to the international terminal. Walk to the Brightline station then take the train to disney

thats a lot of effort and given most of the Disney visitors are domestic right now I’d wager good money this was a major contributor to their decision. I’d expect minimal use of the train for domestic visitors as it’s just easy to catch a bus or Uber

At some point in the last 10 years, Uber / Lyft was new to everyone. Millions have tried ride sharing because there were clear advantages over things like taxi (cost) and mass transit (slow).

Sunshine Flyer is $32 pp door to door. Ride sharing is $50-60 each way for a group. Town cars offer more personalized service including grocery stops. Even the auto train is a unique solution that fills a specific need.

I don't see where this rail + bus option provides any advantages over current MCO-to-WDW alternatives. Even if they come in under the Sunshine Flyer (individual) or ride share (group) cost, it's another layer of inconvenience for travelers.

I agree…no way am I risking two types of transport back to the airport when there are so many easier ways to do it.

Now, maybe on arrival day someone might find it useful as an experience? Like for the kids? But, can’t imagine that either.

My sister and brother in law have lived in Manhattan for almost 20 years. Number of times they've taken the subway or bus to any of the three airports? Zero. They always take a taxi or Uber. Number of times they take a taxi or Uber during their day in and day out commuting lives? Zero.

They have no kids by the way, but still won't face the hassle of lugging suitcases onto the subway. There's just no space for luggage, as there is none on any Disney buses once you reach Disney Springs. As someone said above, the RER train to Charles de Gaulle is also a commuter train and has no luggage racks.

ETA: They do take a taxi every now and then in bad weather or if they get out of work after the subway's go to late night schedules (they live in Inwood park, way up past the GWB at 218th, and both work on Broadway).

My DD also lives in Manhattan and it’s the same…taxis or ride share to and from airports only.

How much do you think the train will cost vs. a taxi/uber? Is the train stopping right in front of (insert Universal Hotel here)? No, it is not. And Epic Universe is not really convenient to 2 main parks. The whole train thing does not make sense.

Universal will have a bag check to hotel option calling it now.

Universal will have a bag check to hotel option calling it now.
Why wouldnt they have it now for people taking the Super Star shuttle from MCO? And they charge $23/adult and $18/child one way.

But, sure, once a train stop goes up Universal will foot the bill to move people luggage? Sure as heck will not be free.

The path of least friction is an Uber/Lyft or taxi. Uber XL right this moment is $44 from MCO to Cabana Bay.

I'm a big proponent of trains, but I agree this didn't seem to make much sense for those travelers coming via MCO. However, I did think it could be made to work well for people visiting WDW from Miami or Tampa. Maybe not a big enough market to be worth it for Disney, though.

Why wouldnt they have it now for people taking the Super Star shuttle from MCO? And they charge $23/adult and $18/child one way.

But, sure, once a train stop goes up Universal will foot the bill to move people luggage? Sure as heck will not be free.

The path of least friction is an Uber/Lyft or taxi. Uber XL right this moment is $44 from MCO to Cabana Bay.

Except they do? When you get to their hotel they take your luggage?

Same when you show up on the train and can then drop your luggage.

I'm a big proponent of trains, but I agree this didn't seem to make much sense for those travelers coming via MCO. However, I did think it could be made to work well for people visiting WDW from Miami or Tampa. Maybe not a big enough market to be worth it for Disney, though.

Nah this is 100% about Universal getting a stop. Disney was all in until then.

I live 40 minutes from Disney Springs and would have welcomed the train. Parking is such a pain there that I rarely go for shopping or dining there. I would have been much more likely to go if there were a direct train stop.

Also in the Orlando Sentinel yesterday ,Universal pointed out that the train is important for employees who can't afford to live close to the theme parks and pay the gas to drive. Having the Universal stop will ensure that Universal's employees have a reliable way to get to work. Disney would have benefitted from having a stop at Disney Springs with buses that could take cast members to the parks.

Not sure we would have ever taken it, but sad to see it cancelled.
However, not sure I would have wanted to take a train to DS, then bus to your resort?

Millions of people everyday do just what you're talking about, work with getting to the airport with enough time to make it to their plane. Not every train or bus ride is perfect either.

If you're not a person who normally takes public transit like this you're less likely to even consider it regardless of some thought of reliability with Disney transit or otherwise (especially as that means you've experienced enough of Disney transportation to feel this way and there are many who haven't).

If you're more used to Uber you're more likely to use Uber. If you used DME a lot back when it was around you'd be more likely to use a similar type service like Mears (paid) or Sunshine Flyer. If you're the type of person who rents a car all the time you'd be more like to rent a car.

The conversation isn't about which option is better or some $64K question relative to your comment I quoted. It's about what type of person would even consider a train such as this to even be thinking about train schedules (part of your comment) which practically speaking is someone already familiar with using public transit.

How well Brightline works with MCO is an entirely different thing than talking about "how many people are going to be confident enough in bus AND train schedules to use this process" because confidence in a system like this is usually requires familiarity in how those two things work.

TLDR: people are more likely to stick with what they know, if they don't know trains like this when there are a variety of other options available they are unlikely to use Disney as their newbie exposure to the system.

but the Disney bus isn’t the same as public buses. I’ve commuted on buses and subways. In DC, I even took the subway to the airport with luggage and I’ve taken the train and subway with luggage in NYC.

but the Disney buses do not follow a published schedule. I’ve waited over an hour before for a Disney bus at OKW before giving up and calling an Uber. If Disney buses had a schedule, and reliably stuck to it, we have a comparison to talk about. But they are neither reliable or scheduled.

Just chiming in from the UK to say I highly doubt this will impact international guests all that much. I personally like using public transit and if I am on a City break with my partner we will pretty much always try to use metro systems for example as opposed to taxis/uber/lyft.

That being said, whenever we visit Disney, we generally have bigger cases and usually one each, as well as a carry on big each. The idea of lugging all of that to the station, waiting for a train, dragging it onto a train to DS from the airport, and then getting a Disney bus to our resort never ever sounded like something we'd choose to do, especially after a 9 hour flight. When you add a couple of kids and their cases/bags into the mix, it would become borderline impossible to wrangle all of those moving parts.

That being said, I guess, depending on how 'near' this proposed alternative station is going to be to Disney property, we may give it a go once, but we have transitioned from DME to Uber from the airport pretty easily, yeah the added expense is a pain, but we travel to Orlando maybe twice a year, so, I guess it's easier to stomach for us because we aren't making loads of trips.

TL:DR - I never thought most international visitors were going to use this train route, and don't think many will be bothered at all.

but the Disney bus isn’t the same as public buses. I’ve commuted on buses and subways. In DC, I even took the subway to the airport with luggage and I’ve taken the train and subway with luggage in NYC.

but the Disney buses do not follow a published schedule. I’ve waited over an hour before for a Disney bus at OKW before giving up and calling an Uber. If Disney buses had a schedule, and reliably stuck to it, we have a comparison to talk about. But they are neither reliable or scheduled.
I am not the one who brought up schedules, you'll have to take it up with the person who did.

IMO, public transportation/mass transit is always the last choice. Simply too unreliable in terms of time and quality of ride. Here in DC, Metro just announced that people attempting to see the fireworks should assume at least a 60-minute wait to get on a train, unless you need to buy a ticket, then add more. They suggest that you get off at a different stop and walk to avoid crowds. They also recommend that when the fireworks end, you not attempt to go home, but rather wait to let the crowds reduce. Pass.
We'll continue to Uber or rent a car for our Disney trips. It keeps the control in our hands.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter