BPictures Of Being At Disney World As A Wheelchair User

DisneyWheeler

Mouseketeer
Does anyone have any pictures of them/their special-needs child that's a wheelchair user having fun at the parks?? My family and I are leaving in less than 5 days for our trip, and DH and I are so excited about going. We can't wait!! My biggest worry is how DH will handle pushing me in my wheelchair, and watching out for those who suddenly cut in front of us.

Thanks, Samantha

I'm afraid I don't have any of my photos on the PC (they're all old-school film photos) other than a couple of me hugging some characters, tucked away somewhere. If you want to see them, I can probably dig them out.

As for cutting up, I'm afraid it happens. I've found wearing bright clothes, sitting upright and making eye contact with people, and having some kind of lights on the chair all help to make you more visible. However, you'll still get the normal idiots you get everywhere, plus the nice-but-dozy people who have their 'vacation head' on.

How are your shoulders? If you don't have any problems with them, DBF and I find that sometimes it's easier to go along holding hands, rather than him pushing me. He can sort of tow me along, with me adjusting steering etc. with the other hand. It does make you wider, but it also seems to make the crowd notice us a bit more (probably just because we look so odd!), so might help you getting through. Just make sure you have him trained to let go of your hand as soon as you pull away, so that you can stop quickly when you need to. Yup, we've come up with some pretty odd methods of getting about; we get the best looks when he hops up on the back of my chair for a free ride down hills! :rotfl:

HTH a bit, have a great trip! :goodvibes

I have a lot of problems with my shoulders that are related to my syndrome, I can push myself in my manual wheelchair a little bit with my arms, as well as propelling with my feet. Doing that in Disney World without help, would be tiring. Thanks for your suggestion though. We'll have to try that. Hopefully, we won't run into any problems with running into people, but I can see what you mean. I'll be walking while pushing my wheelchair most of the time (when my back allows it), so I'll be able to watch out for people cutting in front of me as well.

Samantha

OK you asked!!! :rotfl2: Sorry about how many there are but I just went into my photobucket account and posted all I had on line. :)

I'm a T8 complete paraplegic who's been using a wheelchair for 31 years. I've been to WDW a few times and even have taken 2 solo trips.

MGM02.jpg

Bill02.jpg

ALL8.jpg

BillMickey.jpg

BillCacie6.jpg

BillCD.jpg

BillKim.jpg

Bill14.jpg

Bill2.jpg

EP5.jpg

WL17.jpg

IMG_0452.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

TOT1.jpg

BillCacie.jpg

I thought I remembered you having shoulder problems, but wasn't sure, so I thought I'd suggest it, just in case. If you do try it, be very careful of your shoulders; we don't want you being in unnecessary pain on holiday!

I would say the best way of stopping people walking in front of you, is just to be as visible as possible (though you don't have to go as far as high-vis jackets :rotfl:). Also, make sure your feet are very visible (bright shoes would be good) as I think a lot of people don't realise quite how far out our feet stick, sometimes.

If you're walking or pushing at any point, you could have husband play 'trail blazer' but be aware that sometimes people will cut between you (I had people do this to me last trip, even though I was right behind my mother and obviously talking to her :headache:).

Oh yes, something else I meant to say: crowd avoidance is better than crowd dodging! If you know there will be a large crowd somewhere, try not to get into the middle of it. For instance, if you've just watched a parade, stay where you are for a few minutes to let everyone clear, before you try to move. Also, after evening entertainment, don't leave with everyone else in the huge rush. Instead, hang back for ten or fifteen minutes, then wander back to the buses via the shops. They stay open until the park closes its gates, but they can be fairly empty at that time, as everyone is just trying to get home. If you reach the buses about half an hour after the entertainment finishes, you'll normally find them to be fairly quiet (a lot more fun than being stuck in a heaving bus with people leaning over your wheelchair / kicking you / practically sitting on you etc.).

EDIT: Love the photos Bill!! :thumbsup2

To quote Bill; you asked for it!

Foto-A8LFFNAO.jpg

Foto-HBSBBFVR.jpg

Foto-XFEVLLCQ.jpg

Foto-3P6QVP4W.jpg

Foto-DRSVZSPV.jpg

Foto-NUAE387R.jpg

Foto-TRTUGTGA.jpg

Foto-FMOTMFC8.jpg

Foto-QTMQSOKJ.jpg

Foto-OCZVWRP8.jpg

Foto-OXGVPIIP.jpg

Foto-IX7OR6SS.jpg

Foto-BBVTH7D8.jpg

So....... sorry yet you asked for it? :rotfl2: Really; don't worry one bit. You'll be fine! Have fun. :)

Does anyone have any pictures of them/their special-needs child that's a wheelchair user having fun at the parks?? My family and I are leaving in less than 5 days for our trip, and DH and I are so excited about going. We can't wait!! My biggest worry is how DH will handle pushing me in my wheelchair, and watching out for those who suddenly cut in front of us.

Thanks, Samantha

DH has pushed me in my wheelchair the past two trips (as well as at numerous other places). It has worked out really well for us. My Dh is in great shape (former Marine) so he does well. I know it is tiring for the pusher so try to remember he needs some sit down breaks - especially at Animal Kingdom and Epcot. Also make sure he's drinking enough water...sometimes DH would forget he's not drinking enough.
The attendants at all the attractions have been wonderful! Don't be afraid to tell them what you need.
Also the Monorail ramps can be VERY hard on the pusher. You may need to help by being at the ready with your brakes.
Just take your time and try to wait for the crowds to thin. Be prepared for stupid people. I've had people step over me, smack me in the head with their bags, walk right in front of us...people just don't pay attention. I've also had people hold doors for us and help me when I was alone in a store.
Have a great time!!!
Kimba

This is me and my kids being silly at Mickey's Phillarmagic
100_2180.jpg

Me and DH in our lovely ponchos - we spent alot of time in these :sad2:
100_2336.jpg

I don't have any pictures of my youngest DD that I am ready to post, but she is 22 and has been to WDW more than 20 times in her life. She got her first wheelchair when she was not quite 3, so that's a lot of fun for one person in a wheelchair.

I love the pictures that were posted. :thumbsup2

This thread is great! Thank you for sharing all the great photos people!! :thumbsup2

Madenon, I've heard you talk about the Animal on your joystick before, but it's really cool to see him in the fur!! Love it! :woohoo:

Scottsod, the Mickey aerial toppers on your son's break handles are inspired! May have to try that myself next time I visit!! :goodvibes

These are some of my all time favorites - from last year's trip with my dear friend, her DS6 and my DDthen6! They are great buddies!
DisneyPhotoImage100.jpg

DisneyPhotoImage26.jpg

DisneyPhotoImage91.jpg

I don''t have any at the moment but once I sort my recent trip photos, I should have some great ones.

One trick we did so people wouldn't continually walk into my sister's chair and possibly bruise the fragile little legs, when we were younger (probably about 12 years ago) we put the "Move 'em out" song on a switch and she could hit it and warn people. It brought a smile to her and attention to safety.

I don''t have any at the moment but once I sort my recent trip photos, I should have some great ones.

One trick we did so people wouldn't continually walk into my sister's chair and possibly bruise the fragile little legs, when we were younger (probably about 12 years ago) we put the "Move 'em out" song on a switch and she could hit it and warn people. It brought a smile to her and attention to safety.
:lmao:
I can just imagine.

I have not ever posted any pictures of my family on the internet, but here are a few of my youngest DD enjoying herself at WDW.
2590P4170104-med.JPG

2590PA060214-med.JPG

2590PA060027-med.JPG

2590PA070028-med.JPG

2590PA090090-med.JPG

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!