• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

BPictures Of Being At Disney World As A Wheelchair User

My 3 princes - Where did you get the glow in the dark strips? We want to decorate our DD's wheelchair for our trip in Feb to help avoid problems in crowds.

My 3 princes - Where did you get the glow in the dark strips? We want to decorate our DD's wheelchair for our trip in Feb to help avoid problems in crowds.

That is build into the Mac Stroller. I think you could find reflective tape at a hardware store or maybe even Walmart. A fabric store may have some reflective material too. Good luck.

nice thread keep em coming

sue thanks 4 posting some pics verry pretty

fyi i took the antenna toppers hollowed them out more and stuck em on the brake handles that and micky head paint chips from home depot and stickers from cms on the wheel gaurds

Thanks everyone-Dan and I are very excited now. Our trip is three days away (not counting today) and we're so ready to go. We're taking our digital camera, so we'll for sure take lots of pictures.

Scottsod, I have the same curved, push handle extension on my manual wheelchair like your son does on his. My DH Dan, loves it as he is 6ft., 2inches tall, and has only use of one arm, due to his right-side hemiplegia cerebral palsy. My godfather (who always goes to DW with us) is the same height, and he loves it because it's right at his level. Plus, it gives him great control over pushing me. My mom hates it, because she is short-stature (5ft.,4inch.) and the extension handle comes right up to her stomach. Plus, it's great to hang coats off of. I love it because I can lean back and rest my head on it.

I do have a headrest adapter bar that attaches to the push handles for my headrest from my power chair, to be mounted on. I might bring that too, but won't use it until we get to Disney. My mom is already going to have her hands full trying to remove the removable extension handle, footrests, and cushion to fold the chair at the planeside. That, and we're going to have my tray as well.

I haven't come up with a way for my wheelchair to be more noticeable, but I've gotten some great ideas on here. I'm fairly tall (5ft., 6inch.) so I'll for sure stand out in height.

Samantha

That is build into the Mac Stroller. I think you could find reflective tape at a hardware store or maybe even Walmart. A fabric store may have some reflective material too. Good luck.
The reflective tape doesn't glow by itself, it reflects light.
I've found reflective tape (shapes and just rectangles) at places like Target in the automotive department or at home stores (like Home Depot) in the area where they sell signs. Some of the stuff has a sticker back so you can attach it on where ever you want. It might also be easier to buy something like this reflective vest and rig it up to hang on the wheelchair. I've also seen reflective things in with the bikes (they have reflective arm and leg bands to make bicyclists easier to see).
3M is the maker of a lot of the reflective stuff and the name for the product is "Scotchlite"; if you do a google search for that or for "3M refelective tape", you will find lots of places to get it, including a tape store that sells a 30 foot roll for less than $7. This site seems to have good prices on a variety of products.

My DD's wheelchair is decorated with small glow in the dark star stickers I got from Target in the party favors area. They were inexpensive and they get enough light during the day that they are still glowing after we have gone to bed. I put stickers on the back of her seatback, her armrests and her wheels (hers are mag wheels with a large plastic surface). They have been there about 2 years and are still going strong.

This is a great thread and I love seeing everyone's pictures! I have pics stored on my computer, but I don't know how to post pics in a thread. Where can I find out how? Thanks!

Here are a couple more from our trip in Nov. 2007:

The Jungle Cruise:

WDW2007Parkday9011BillonJunglecruis.jpg

Bill and Tigger at the Crystal Palace:

WDW2007Parkday9024BillandTigger.jpg

Bill and Susan Lucci the day before Super Soap Weekend at her chat breakfast, she is sitting on his tray :rotfl::

WDW2007Parkday6007BillandSusanLucci.jpg

I love these photos but never develop my film usually and have lost my video tapes, lol. The one of Bill on the Jungle Cruise would be an excellent example of what the boat looks like when people ask about the Jungle Cruise's accessibility. A lot of cute kids and please post more as I really enjoy them.

I love this thread! So nice to see faces to go along with all of our DIS names!
Everyone looks great! Here's a few of mine from the past years:

DSC00522_0092.jpg

DSC00520_0090.jpg

DSC00464_0039.jpg

DSC02181.jpg

And, one more:
DSC00564_0125.jpg

What an awesome thread. Thanks for sharing the wonderful pictures. I hope to have some to add when we get back on the 21st.

Bumping.

Anymore pictures out there?:confused3
Well, here's one that shows why we can't surprise anyone on the Backstage Tram tour at the Disney Studio.
(DD starts 'protecting herself' as soon as we enter a certain area - won't tell you where in case you don't know)
2590P4180137.JPG

100_0140.jpg

Here's one, I'll try to send more but haven't figured out how to send more than one at a time. Karen

I am not a regular chair user but when I am pregnant I must use an ECV due to a rare vascular condition. The last thing we need is for me to over heat throw myself into problems with my vascular system and cause the baby distress. I can tell you that lots of fun can be had while in a chair weather your mobile or not.

530168622_419e949b78.jpg

Wish I had some picture to post of me and my PWC but I am the photographer in the family so I have very few of me in the chair. I use an antenna topper as my controller ball. People love that and it starts lots of conversations. I have a blast at WDW and am planning a trip my DH and my 33 wedding anniversary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter