Box office update: 'Despicable Me 2' crushes 'Lone Ranger'

I am really hoping this thing has legs and does super well overseas, as I really really want this franchise to do well. I really want to see frontier Land with Lone ranger and tonto walking around for pictures and the such LOL

I loved the Lone ranger toys when I was the kid

I saw DM2 and thought it was really funny. However, I really didn't care for the story and think the first one is a lot better. While I liked it, it wasn't as good as I thought it would be. This was my daughter's pick. My son would have rather seen MU so we'll be seeing that next. I'll likely rent Lone Ranger. It's easy to see why DM2 did so well. We all love Minions! :)

Yeah, ths is MU vs. DM2 - and MU is much better. I've seen em both. DM2 is just not funny. ...at all. :confused3

Thoroughly enjoyed DM2; did not think it was as good as the first one, mostly because the transformation of Cru in the first movie was so charming and in the second one it is already done/known. MU was okay. I have eleven year olds and they are not yet prepared to fully comprehend the whole life-changing event college is, and fraternities? Not really as a big a deal as they used to be so it felt "dated" to me. The kids seemed a bit befuddled by it.

Re POTC and Mr. Depp, well, I really watch POTC for Orlando Bloom. If Orlando had been the Lone Ranger...lol. I'd have been first in line.

DM2 was funny and I enjoyed it as much as any other non-Disney animated film, but I don't think it was amazing. I won't be running out to pre-order it and I'm not waiting for it to come out on DVD so I can see it again, like I was with Wreck-It-Ralph, Brave, Tangled, etc. We may not rent it or buy it at all and it probably won't get played a gazillion times in my house like MU probably will. I did like MU, but :love: MI so I had REALLY high expectations, but it was still the best thing out since WiR.

We saw DM2 and Lone Ranger today. DM2 was good but Lone Ranger was very good. I don't understand where the bad reviews come from. If critics like a movie there's a very good chance I will hate it. Will buy this on Blue Ray when it comes out.

My complaints about the Lone Ranger, is the depiction of Texas. Nowhere in Texas do we have topography like they show in the movie, Obviously Monument Valley area. Plus it would have taken days to reach where the golden spike was hammered. Johnny Depp steals the show. Should have been Tonto meets a lone ranger. Overall good movie. Eill buy iy in blu ray.y

We saw MU and LR at the drive in double feature this weekend, and loved both! I did like MI better than MU, but still felt like it had its own story, and was funny and fun to watch! We read all the horrible reviews on LR, and had very low expectations of it, but our 10 yr old son was really looking forward to it. It started slow, but we all enjoyed it from the younger ones to the grandparents. You did not have to know anything about the LR original story to be able to understand (usually a pet peeve of mine), we laughed, and we were definitely entertained. I would definitely go see it again in the movie theater, while I would not MU.

Me and the GF saw LR Saturday and loved it. Not that the acting or story was great, it was a fun movie. When they played the LR theme we both looked at each and had the biggest smiles. Chill bumps ensued. I would like to see this franchise do well.

Me and the GF saw LR Saturday and loved it. Not that the acting or story was great, it was a fun movie. When they played the LR theme we both looked at each and had the biggest smiles. Chill bumps ensued. I would like to see this franchise do well.

FRANCHISE!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????????????

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

I'll be the dissenter here. While I enjoyed DM2, I did not think it was as good as DM1. Also, I did not think that MU was as good as MI either, but I thought that the story holds its own better in MU than in DM2.

That said, DD9 thought that both of them were great and I am sure that they both will make a great deal of $$. I do not have the same faith in either 'Planes' or 'Turbo'...

Planes looks GAWD AWFUL. It looks like one of those garbage Disney direct to DVD sequels

Despicable Me 2 out performs Lone Ranger by almost a full 100 MILLION Dollars for the loooong 4th of July weekend.

Weekend Total
1. Despicable Me $82,518,000 $142,076,000
2. The Lone Ranger $29,432,000 $48,936,000
3. The Heat $25,000,000 $86,398,000
4. Monsters University $19,590,000 $216,127,000
5. World War Z $18,200,000 $158,758,000
6. White House Down $13,500,000 $50,478,000
7. Man of Steel $11,415,000 $271,206,000
8. Kevin Hart: Let Me Explain $10,100,000 $17,460,000
9. This is the End $5,800,000 $85,554,000
10.Now You See Me $2,770,000 $110,415,000

Depp's second straight summer flop
"The Lone Ranger" marks the second consecutive major box-office misfire for Depp, who starred in last summer's "Dark Shadows." That send-up of a 1960s TV vampire soap cost $150 million to produce and topped out at $80 million. It opened to a mere $29 million -- and "The Lone Ranger" did worse than that.

My complaints about the Lone Ranger, is the depiction of Texas. Nowhere in Texas do we have topography like they show in the movie, Obviously Monument Valley area. Plus it would have taken days to reach where the golden spike was hammered. Johnny Depp steals the show. Should have been Tonto meets a lone ranger. Overall good movie. Eill buy iy in blu ray.y

Good point! I spent the whole LR movie wondering why they were in Arizona. Maybe it was more expensive to film in Texas?

FRANCHISE!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????????????

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:
]

Jerry Bruckheimer intended LR to be a franchise starter with sequels to follow. It's also not likely that Disney would drop 250m on a film intended to standalone and not a potential franchise.

But hey, why waste time in contributing to a discussion when you can simply be obnoxious.

Mad-Jasper said:
]

Jerry Bruckheimer intended LR to be a franchise starter with sequels to follow. It's also not likely that Disney would drop 250m on a film intended to standalone and not a potential franchise.

But hey, why waste time in contributing to a discussion when you can simply be obnoxious.

True, and I agree with you on the intended Franchise, every movie with that kind of budget always leaves room in the story and are hoping

]

And yet you reply with nothing but obnoxious. Wow.

LR was a gimme to Depp for signing long term for POC. That's it.

While Jerry Bruckheimer has made very few missteps, intentions are only that. Depp took far less for this movie than his others, so did Bruckheimer - 20% less than what they'd normally ask. Check out this HuffPost: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/13/the-lone-ranger-rides-on-johnny-depp-pay-cut_n_1009407.html

In 2012, Disney said that it expected losses of $200 million on John Carter; at that time the film had made only $234 million worldwide, far short of the $250 million budget plus worldwide advertising. They aren't willing to go down that road again.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/comic-riffs/post/the-rant-john-carters-massive-fallout-whos-to-blame-for-disneys-200-million-bomb/2012/03/19/gIQAOKf6VS_blog.html

So, it does happen. While Disney is still ouching from this loss, it is more relegated to reputation than dollars. I doubt Disney is hurting any and have fully recovered from and easily absorbed this loss. http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column-post/rich-ross-and-%E2%80%98john-carter%E2%80%99-debacle-%E2%80%93-disney-takes-it-chi-36389 Disney doesn't want to be responsible for a big goose egg.

But after came the releases of Brave and the Avengers...need I say more? Disney is like a cat, it's going to land one way or another.

The flop of one movie is not a issue or a problem!

So far this year from JUST Iron Man and Monster 2, they have brought in $1.6 b, yes, Billion.

Frankly Depp is no longer the actor or draw many think he is and many more are starting to realize.

AKK

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!