Bouncing Back to the Bayou --- an August 2013 PTR

I am so sorry you are having to go through so much with Victoria. I will keep you guys in my prayers!

Yay for the trip to New York!! I have only been to N.Y. one time, I marched in the Macy's Day Parade in 1995 and have been trying to get back since.

Also, I would for sure stay on property in March you need a little Disney magic! :)

Hi all my peeps!!! Yep, I looked on my countdown on my phone and we have 283 more days until our August Adventure. I just can't wait to see the look on my family's faces when we end up at POR instead of CBR! So far, so good as for keeping that a secret!

Fortunately, since Victoria wants to go to Playlist Live in Orlando in March, I get at least a little taste of Disney, even though it won't be the parks themselves. And she knows Christmas presents will be very few since we are going down. I’m still determined to get as much Disney as I can in March! I am planning on going to the Poly for Wishes on the beach and the Electric Water Pageant. We've never seen that, so that will be cool. Now it's a matter of figuring out the logistics of how to take the the bus from Caribe Royale to the Disney property and then just jump on Disney busses! (if we really do end up staying there...ugh! I’m working my plans to stay at the All Star Sports. If Disney would only offer a room discount for those days and then I also found out that if you use code OCTOBERUS10 at Hotels.com you can get an additional 10% off. So that would be Disney’s room-only discount of 15% or 20% --- what they usually offer for values plus the Hotels.com 10% discount on top of that. That would definitely seal the deal for us staying on property, so c’mon Disney!!) Good thing I've done this a time or two so I kinda know what I am doing. Of course we'll be doing Downtown Disney!! I'm so excited, but again the flights are just increasing! I did find what I think is a good price -- $386 per person round trip. It's the best I can find right now. I'm hoping either AirTran or Southwest will have a sale, but usually Portland, Maine is not one of the hubs that's on sale. And SW still only flies out of Manchester, NH until late April. I'm seriously thinking of using our points to get one round trip flight down, but then I was hoping to save the points for our August trip. Am I boring you guys? I'm sorry. Guess I just felt like sharing!

Lookie here folks:
photo.jpg

So the above was last night’s post that I failed to post. I do have some great news, though. I was able to book the airline tickets on CheapAir.com for the $386 per person rate. The good thing is that by going through them, if the price drops, they will give you a credit for the difference. I checked today and the prices went up $10, so I feel pretty good about this. We are flying out of Portland instead of driving to Manchester, which will be so much better! We are flying AirTran which I’ve flown before. We won’t have any checked luggage for this quick weekend trip, so no baggage fees for us! You know what really decided Peter to purchase the tickets now instead of waiting until after tax season? Well, he received those blank checks that banks sometimes other banks send you from his hardly-ever-used bank account. I think they are called convenience checks. Well, the offer was no interest until 2014. I made sure to have him read it correctly just to make sure and yep, those are the terms. So, we decided that we would put the tickets on the SW Visa card (to get the mileage points with Southwest) and then pay it off immediately using one of those checks. Therefore, we get the advantage of the zero interest while earning the mileage. Yay for us! I am sooo excited!! As you all know my family really needs some happy news to celebrate!

On that note, Victoria is doing ok. She’s on Day 8 of her meds, but there hasn’t been any signs that she will start her period. That’s kind of discouraging. I was hoping by now she would have started. If she doesn’t start by the time she’s done her pills, then I have to call the doctor and we go to Plan B. I’m not handling this very well at all. I wish I could be a stronger person for her and Peter, but this one has just knocked me onto my butt! It’s triggering my depression, but so far I’m holding it together by this itty bitty little piece of thread. I know this is how life is, one thing after another, but I just need a little break. Little things I would normally handle just fine are getting to me. For example, my dog had an allergic reaction to a spider bite and had to go to the vet and be put on meds. Well the meds made her a lot more thirsty and therefore, she has to pee a lot. Well, she can’t always make it to the door and so she peed on the couch twice. Normally, I would be able to deal with it and just clean what I needed to and move on. Nope, I broke down like a freaking baby! Over a couch! It’s not like we wouldn’t have a replacement one in Peter’s old house, but no, I had to make a huge production out of it all! We are also switching offices at work and I am freaking out over whom I will be placed besides (there’s been a lot of pettiness lately) and if I will get a window seat. Since I’ve started working here I’ve always sat by the window. The thought of not sitting by the window had me so upset that I had my doctor write a note stating that due to my depression, I must be seated by the window. Now, I know this sounds so trivial and normally I would agree, but I’m just not in a good place to handle things right now. It will get better as “this too, shall pass”, but ugh it’s so frustrating knowing I’m overreacting and there’s nothing I can do to control it right now.

Ok, that’s enough about that!! Our trip to NYC is in 12 more days. I’m getting really excited now! I think I’m more excited about flying and just being away from Maine than I am anything else. I’m sure it’s going to be a wonderful trip! My Mom asked me if I needed money for film ---- um, no, Mom! My camera doesn’t need film, dear. She’s too funny sometimes. She then asked me how I get the pictures. I explained that I will handle it and that she shouldn’t worry. I just used Snapfish, Shutterfly, etc. I’m not packed yet. Well, I can’t say that…..My carryon that is always packed and ready with toiletries and such is packed. I figure I will wear my outfit for Wednesday, so I will need to pack an outfit for Thurs, Fri, and Saturday. That won’t take up much room. I’m wearing sneakers and not bringing any other shoes, so I don’t have to worry about room for those. My Mom is so excited as this has been her dream since she was little. We’ll see! I hope she has a wonderful, magical time as this is HER trip to enjoy! My friend Jane is once again going to dog-sit Cutie and Cutie will love to be with her two shepherds again! I think Heidi will be coming over to tend to the menagerie in the house. She’s afraid of birds, so I don’t know how she’ll do with the chickens. They usually run to the corner when you open their door so maybe she’ll be just fine. I’ll have to ask her again to make sure.

The rabbits and chickens are all winterized now since they will be spending the winter outside. Of course you all know Peter made a super insulated coop for the chickens with a heat lamp and for the rabbits he put insulating wrap around their cage. I swear it looks like aluminum foil and I’m just wondering that when the heat lamp is on it will cook them like a big turkey. I know it won’t but that’s what’s running in my mind. Too funny! I know….I’m just not right in the head, huh? We just had that mini nor’easter blow through. We maybe got 2 inches of snow which was washed away by the rain which followed. Today it’s all gone. Thank goodness. I mean, I live in Maine, I know the snow is coming, but I don’t have to like it. Today it’s in the high 40’s and sunny. Now if it could stay like this all winter I would be happy, but I know that will not happen. Oh well.

It’s a long weekend this weekend and I just cannot wait until 5pm!!!! My buddies are getting together on Monday for a day of scrapbooking! Yay! Would you guys believe I’m almost done my Disney 2012 scrapbook?! You should see how darned thick that thing is. I’m probably going to have to separate it into two or maybe even three books! Unbelievable! I hope everyone is having a wonderful week and I’m still waiting on the trip report Miss Karen!!!!

12 days!!! YAY!

Well, you are going to be waiting a little b/c I am up to my ears in photos! I took too many! I'm sure you are shocked! :lmao:

If I can get at least an update or two edited and ready, I'll start it tomorrow, if not, it may be Sunday! The price I pay when I take 1500 pictures in 3 days. :rolleyes:

I like your Disney plans for your trip in March! I really hope you get a PIN! You figured out a good deal for those plane tickets :thumbsup2 I hope the medication helps Victoria. I totally understand the window seat thing. I prefer a window because there's more light, I can look outside if I need a break, and there's more privacy! I hope you do get a window AND you sit next to someone nice :goodvibes Your mom is too cute about the film! I hope you all have a great trip to NY.

I've been so bad at responding to you all. I'm sorry. You all mean the world to me, so don't feel like I don't care about your comments, because I really, really do......so, here we go.....

Oh. My. Gosh! I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO jealous that you are going to see the Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall!!!!! I have dreamed of doing that! I used to want to be a Rockette! :yay: <<<That was the closest I could get to a high-kick smiley :rotfl: Oh no! My rambling is contagious! :blush: :lmao: It does help to get it out of your head and see it in front of you :thumbsup2 That hotel looks gorgeous! It looks like it is in a great location, too. It sounds like you have some wonderful plans. I can’t believe that you are going to see the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade! That will be so cool! I hope the weather holds up for you. Have you thought of seeing Santa at Macy’s? I heard that they have really good Santas there. Friday will definitely be a madhouse, but maybe Wednesday? Whatever you all do, I’m sure you’ll have a fantastic time!

Wow, I think we all wanted to be a Rockette when we were little and your attempt at a high kick smiley was great! No, I didn't think of going to see Santa at Macy's. I don't know if anyone would want to do that. We'll see. Do you think he will already be there on Wednesday? I'm thinking probably not.

Ann, I'm so sorry you are having to worry so much about Victoria. She'll make it through this stuff, just do what you can to give her lots of love and understanding and you guys will make it through.

I think you'll have a great time in NY! I want you to take lots of pics! As for the March trip, you know what I'm going to say...ONSITE ONSITE ONSITE!!!! Absolutely! You'll save money with the mugs, you'll have some Disney magic, and I'm sure it will be fine with Victoria! She'll have a friend with her and her phone, I totally think it's fine. I took cabs ALL THE TIME when I was younger, I think she'll do great!

I'm leaning more and more to onsite (yeah, like I ever wasn't leaning that way, huh? We are hanging in there with Victoria. I'm just discouraged that the medicine hasn't worked yet.

So sorry to hear about all the troubles in your life right now. I can't imagine what it feels like to see your daughter go through all of that, as I'm not a mother myself. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be for you feeling like you can't help her with her needs, but don't think it's because you've done anything wrong. I used to self harm and it had nothing to do with anything my mom had done, or done wrong. I knew my mom loved me, cared about me, supported me and all of that. It may be something that she's going through that's causing these thoughts. Just try to stay strong for her and remind her that she can talk to you about anything.

Have an awesome trip in NY, and I'm rooting for you to be able to convince Peter to stay on property at Disney in March! I'm sure you can convince him :)

Thank you so much for your kind thoughts. I know in my head that it's not my fault and there's nothing I could have done differently, but my heart still hurts for her. It's nice to hear from someone who's come through it herself. Thank you for sharing that with me.

Oh, Ann, I'm sorry to hear about what's going on with Victoria :hug:I don't think a mom could ever be prepared to hear a serious diagnosis, but at least you all have a very good plan in place :goodvibes I'm so very sorry that Victoria admitted to thinking about self-harming, but thank goodness she was open about it! Please don't put the blame for her feelings all on yourself! It's so hard not to, but try. I know because I did the same thing with Coy. I just knew that I was at least partially at fault for his anxiety issues. I felt that if I had just done something different, he wouldn't have these problems. I couldn't let that go until his psychiatrist told me that it wasn't anything I did that caused him to feel how he did. Medication didn't work for Coy, but therapy definitely helped. It's a process and I'm sure Victoria will be much better once she can start to talk all of this out. Which brings me to another point: I also felt like a failure when I realized Coy needed counseling. I thought, "Why can't he just talk to me?" but I soon saw that his counselor had a very different way to get through to him. She was able to give him tools to help him cope. He still has a way to go, but there has been some change. I truly hope things work out well for Victoria in counseling.

I'm so excited for your NYC trip :yay: I hope you, Victoria and your mom have a great time!

I hope you can convince Peter to stay onsite in March! I think you gave a pretty compelling argument right there! Just have him read that post! :rotfl: Staying at All Star Sports makes perfect sense to me. But I'm a Disney addict. I'm biased

Thanks Erin. It's been rough and most days I'm in that funky darkness, but there have been some bright moments, so I keep remembering how those feel and soldier on. Today is a pretty good day and tonight Victoria will be going over to Kali's house for a sleepover, so it will give Peter and I some alone time to decompress. Victoria still hasn't started therapy yet as they are waiting for an opening with the therapist who deals with these types of issues. Hopefully it will be soon, but she's really only had one bad day in the last two weeks, so it's been ok. It's comforting that you are able to share your struggles with Coy with me. It makes me feel like you understand and care about us. It's a nice feeling. Yeah, I'm sure we'll have fun in NYC. I just can't believe how close it is now. I still wish it was Disney!

Yay! I'm so glad you had a fun Halloween! I kept telling people last night (as some of the kids in our group are getting older too) that you are NEVER too old to trick-or-treat! Seriously...candy is for everyone, there should be no limit on dressing up and having candy, that's what I say!! :thumbsup2

Yep, I was definitely surprised that she wanted to go. She even wanted me to pick her up a costume for next year. Okay by me. Let's face it, at not even 5 feet tall no one would ever know she's not a little kid anymore! :rotfl2: So, I did the old Halloween clearence and got her this ghoul type thing for next year.

Aww! Victoria looks so cute as Mother Nature! I’m glad that she and her friends don’t think they are too old for trick or treating yet. I was happy that Coy went out last night. There were quite a few kids out there who were older than him, so I am hoping the kids will keep trick or treating for a while. How else will I get my bite sized candy fix? :lmao:

Sorry, Karen, I have to disagree with you there! Last night, we saw a grown man (facial hair and everything) dressed up as Spiderman and carrying a little plastic pumpkin! At first, I thought he was the dad with a group of kids that were there, but no! He was alone! It was either very creepy or very smart! :laughing: He could have had the decency to wear his mask so that people wouldn’t know how old he was :rotfl: I’ll have to admit, though, that I have considered dressing up and wearing a mask so that I could get candy too :rolleyes: but he actually did it!

Yeah, that old guy sounds a bit too creepy for me, but yeah, he should of at least worn a mask to cover the facial hair. Ick! :scared: I think once you hit 18, you really should give it up. After all, you can always go to Wal-Mart the day after and pick up candy for half price if you are that desperate for candy!

I am so sorry you are having to go through so much with Victoria. I will keep you guys in my prayers!

Yay for the trip to New York!! I have only been to N.Y. one time, I marched in the Macy's Day Parade in 1995 and have been trying to get back since.

Also, I would for sure stay on property in March you need a little Disney magic! :)

Thank you for your prayers. That means a lot. Wow...you actually marched in the parade! How cool is that!! :cheer2: I will definitely take lots of pictures and post them. And I DEFINITELY AGREE ----- I AM DUE FOR SOME DISNEY MAGIC!!!

12 days!!! YAY!

Well, you are going to be waiting a little b/c I am up to my ears in photos! I took too many! I'm sure you are shocked! :lmao:

If I can get at least an update or two edited and ready, I'll start it tomorrow, if not, it may be Sunday! The price I pay when I take 1500 pictures in 3 days. :rolleyes:

Hee, hee....you already started the TR and I was first. There's some Disney magic right there! pixiedust:

I like your Disney plans for your trip in March! I really hope you get a PIN! You figured out a good deal for those plane tickets :thumbsup2 I hope the medication helps Victoria. I totally understand the window seat thing. I prefer a window because there's more light, I can look outside if I need a break, and there's more privacy! I hope you do get a window AND you sit next to someone nice :goodvibes Your mom is too cute about the film! I hope you all have a great trip to NY.

Hey buddy!!! Thank for for the wishes for a pin. Hey at this point whatever happens, happens right? There's not too much more that can be thrown at us. Yep, I will definitely be stocking up on that film, eh?? :lmao:

Hey I'm subbing on...:coffee:

I read your last tr just as your were finishing it... so I 'm subbing onto this while you're still writing...

I was really indignant for you about that lousy woman who commented on your poncho...:headache:

You are going to have such a great time in New York... the holidays are an awesome time to go and the show is fabulous...really really good...pixiedust:

Victoria is an adorable girl and I'm sorry that she has to deal with POS... I know it's scary but the fact she told you she had feelings of hurting herself is good in that she isn't keeping it to herself... Both of my awesome kids have mood disorders (under control) and you will get through it...

POR is a lovely hotel... very atmospheric...:goodvibes

Well kids…..here we are with only 1 sleep until we leave for NYC! :scared1: You know how my mother booked the hotel on 7th Avenue facing the Avenue due to being on the parade route? Well, NYC changed the parade route from 7th Avenue to 6th Avenue, so her dream of watching from the hotel window is now (excuse the pun) out the window! :confused: I feel so bad for her and I had her call the hotel yesterday just to make sure I wasn’t incorrect. Nope. No parade view from the hotel. My mom is going to see about getting some money back as she specifically made these reservations based on being on the route. Now I know the hotel cannot guarantee that this wouldn’t happen, but if you advertise parade view room for a certain amount of money and cannot follow through with that, then there should be some type of compensation. I believe she did pay extra for the “view” so we’ll see. Now we’ll have to go out and line the street with all kinds of other people to see the parade. It’s not a big deal for us, but for my Mom to be in the cold, well it’s not a good thing. She says she’s not disappointed, but I know she really is. I still think we are going to have a wonderful time and she will really enjoy herself. :hyper: For me, I just love flying and staying in hotel rooms, so I’m good no matter what. I’m going to be keeping a journal, so I will do a mini trip report in the middle of this ptr if you all don’t mind. I’ve been researching restaurants and things to do in NYC online. It seems like everything is pretty much within walking distance. I really do want to see the Statue of Liberty as I’ve never seen it before. I am also anxious to see the Rockettes! I have to go to the pharmacy and pick up some meds tonight, and pack my clothes, but other than that I’m ready to go. Oh, I still have one hamster cage and the guinea pig case to clean, too. My camera has an empty memory card in it and I have extra batteries. I’m trying to be prepared, but it feels so much different than packing for Disney. I find that weird, but ok. There’s no pool in the hotel so no bathing suits to pack.

Would everyone love to hear some GOOD NEWS??? ::yes:: Victoria started her period on Thursday the 15th. Granted she needed the medication to do so, but she started and this is good for her body! It was a normal period, so I am soooooooo relieved. You could probably tell how much her health has been upsetting me as of late. I’ve read trip reports, but haven’t been commenting very much. Sorry for that. I’m not ignoring anyone, I just don’t want to end up being a Debbie Downer on your reports. Now we are hoping that her body with kick in and start a period next month, but if it doesn’t, in three months she will go through another round of medication. Yay! At least we are getting somewhere now. Peter on the other hand pulled his back out on Sunday and he’s barely moving since then. Oh, he’s gone to work, but he’s just miserable right now. I’m anxious to see him tonight to see how he’s doing.

As you all know, we are also going to Orlando in March for PlayList Live for Victoria. I’m trying to convince my family how much better it would be to stay at a Disney Value Resort rather than staying at the Caribe Royale. :thumbsup2 I’ve been scouring the boards and waiting for discounts to come out. Finally on Friday the travel agency Magical Vacations (I think --- I’d have to check for sure) came out with an Easter special that including our dates of March 22 – 25th. I requested a quote and this nice lady named Jessica came back with a room-only quote of $432!!!! :woohoo: That is the EXACT same price as the Caribe Royale. This is a total no-brainer for me, but it’s my family I’m trying to convince. In that regard I have emailed both Victoria and Peter with the following information:

Reasons to stay at Caribe Royale:

 Price quoted $432 for 3 nights
 Same hotel as Playlist --- no need to rent a car but would have to take taxi to DTD for dinners
 Suite vs standard room
 Beautiful landscaping
 Being close to the girls while they are at the conference

Reasons to stay at All-Star Sports:

 It’s Disney, duh!
 Was able to get a discount so it’s also $432 for 3 nights (a HUGE savings! It’s $565 to book on Disney site)
 Refillable mugs (savings for sodas and we drink A LOT!)
 Savings of $120 round trip from resort to airport
 Disney transportation runs every 20 mins vs. select schedule times at CR and none until after 6pm to DTD
 Disney customer service
 Towel animals!
 Choice of 2 pools
 With MyCoke points, can get $20 off a rental car for 2 days (estimate $40)

I think I make a very compelling argument!! Victoria seems to think that if we stay at the same hotel as the convention, she may meet the You Tubers by the pool or in the lobby, etc. I personally think chances of that are slim, but true, you never do know. I think staying at a hotel in the “hopes” of meeting someone in the hotel is crazy. She’s going to meet them at their Meet N Greets at the convention anyways. And I know my daughter, she would bump into them in the hall and be too shy to say anything! She also thinks she’s going to hang around by the pool with them after the convention in the evenings. Um, no little girl. :rolleyes1 You are 14 these people are over 18…..it ain’t happening. Mama says. Staying on Disney property would save us money!!!! Granted, probably only around $80, but it’s something….AND IT’S DISNEY!!! :cool2: I know, I know….I don’t have to convince you guys. I’ll keep working on them. I just may take $200 and put the deposit down just to hold this price. You can’t get that price on the Disney site. I am curious how this travel agency can do that, but hey, if it saves me money, why question it, right? I didn’t want to go through a travel agency, but again, the price brings me to them!

Hey I'm subbing on...:coffee:

I read your last tr just as your were finishing it... so I 'm subbing onto this while you're still writing...

I was really indignant for you about that lousy woman who commented on your poncho...:headache:

You are going to have such a great time in New York... the holidays are an awesome time to go and the show is fabulous...really really good...pixiedust:

Victoria is an adorable girl and I'm sorry that she has to deal with POS... I know it's scary but the fact she told you she had feelings of hurting herself is good in that she isn't keeping it to herself... Both of my awesome kids have mood disorders (under control) and you will get through it...

POR is a lovely hotel... very atmospheric...:goodvibes

Hi Patricia! Thanks for subbing. I hope you don't get too bored. It's not really too exciting until we get closer to the trip. I will have to go read your reports now! I love reading new reports! Thank you for your encouraging words about Victoria. I know we will both pull through this. She is an awesome child and I love her to pieces!! :cutie:

I’m sorry to hear about the switch in the parade route! I really hope your mom does get some of her money back. They should at least refund the price difference between the “view” room and the standard rooms. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for her! I hope you guys have a fantastic time and I can’t wait to read a mini TR about it! :yay:

I’m so happy to hear that the meds worked for Victoria. I hope that kicked everything into gear and she won’t have to take more later on down the road :goodvibes Hey, I don’t mind if you’re Debbie Downer on my PTR! Sometimes I am! :lmao: But I can totally understand not being in the mood to comment and participate in things in stressful times :hug: So, now that you’ve got Victoria on her way to better health, you have to worry about Peter?!? Poor thing! I hope his back gets better!

PlayList Live is getting closer and closer, too! Caribe Royale looks beautiful and sounds really nice, but I can understand why you are drawn to staying at a Disney resort! Your comparison of the two options looked good – of course, I would have stopped at “It’s Disney, duh!” :rotfl: I’m convinced! Seriously, you did make some good points and $80 is $80! Plus, I am just picturing a whole bunch of 13 – 25 year olds running around that hotel all night. It might be nice to get a break from the convention by staying offsite at a Disney resort :thumbsup2 I hope you can convince your family!

1 Day! I hope you have a GREAT trip! I'm sorry about the parade route, but it will be really cool to be out there on the street watching too!

Convincing argument! I hope the family gets with the program!! :lmao:

Start spreading the news……
I’m leaving today……
I want to be a part of it….NY, NY…..

Okay, so maybe I didn’t really want to be a part of it. I did, however want to make this dream trip of my Mom’s the best it could possibly be so at 10 am we were on our way. Ok, fine…..I’m ALWAYS late so we left our house at 10:05 and headed over to my Mom’s.

DSCF2577.jpg

Fortunately she’s a mere 6 or so minutes away, so we were there by the goal time of 10:15. Her friend Mrs. Noel was coming with us to Portland and she was going to drive my Mom’s car back to her house for safe keeping. On the way down Peter drove and I sat shotgun while Mom, Mrs. Noel and Victoria crammed in back.

DSCF2580.jpg

DSCF2585.jpg

No, not really crammed, just cozy. Our flight was scheduled for 12:58 pm and we were there a little after 11:30am so we were there in plenty of time. Yep….it’s supposedly the busiest travel day of the year…um, yeah…. This is the line in security. Pretty funny if you ask me and I even teased the TSA agents about how terrible the lines are. Probably not the best idea to tease the TSA agents, but the ones in Portland (except for one we will get to) are all pretty laid back.

DSCF2590.jpg

Guess who got “detained” in security –-- MOM!!!! See, when she goes to her friend’s house in FL in March, she usually mails her clothes, etc rather than paying for the baggage fees so she is not used to having to put her toiletries in a gallon ziplock baggie. Ooops. I hope there is nothing else I forgot to tell her! So, I wanted to capture the moment for the scrapbook when TSA withchie-poo comes over and says “You’re not taking pictures, are you?” Let’s see….I have my camera up and pointing at my mother --- no, wizard, I’m drinking coffee!! She turned her back and I snapped the picture anyways. Poo on YOU!

DSCF2591.jpg

It was then onto the gate. They’ve spent the last two years renovating the airport and it’s really nice now. It’s interesting though….you enter on the first floor, take the elevator to the third floor security then take another elevator to the second floor where the gates are. Kind of interesting but genius at the same time. We waited a bit and the fam went to Burger King for some munchies.

DSCF2592.jpg

We boarded and I sat with Peter and Victoria sat with Mom. It was a plane with 2 seats on either side of the aisle.

DSCF2596.jpg

The flight was uneventful and we were landing in NYC within an hour and 15 minutes. It was amazing to see NYC from the air. It’s like all of a sudden there’s humungous buildings. Unbelievable. We did see the Statue of Liberty from the air, but weren’t really close enough to get a really good picture or view.

DSCF2614.jpg

DSCF2621.jpg

DSCF2629.jpg

The landing was smooth and we were all excited to be in NYC. We were able to find our way to ground transportation and to the taxi booth where a person hails a cab for you. Interesting. The taxi ride costs Mom $51 and the driver drove like a freaking maniac. OMG!! Do you not believe in directional signals?? Apparently not.

DSCF2630.jpg

We passed by really cute brownstone buildings and Central Park on the way to the hotel.

Up next…..the hotel…..

:yay: The beginning of the NY TR! Looks like you're off to a good start! I can't believe the TSA agent had a problem with you taking a picture! I'm glad you took it anyway ;) I mean, is there a sign posted that says "no pictures"? Anyway, I like the pictures of you flying in over NYC! That's a nice one of you and Peter, too. I can't wait to see the hotel!

:yay: The beginning of the NY TR! Looks like you're off to a good start! I can't believe the TSA agent had a problem with you taking a picture! I'm glad you took it anyway ;) I mean, is there a sign posted that says "no pictures"? Anyway, I like the pictures of you flying in over NYC! That's a nice one of you and Peter, too. I can't wait to see the hotel!

see that's the thing with us Dis'ers ---- if it is not documented with a photo or sign, it does not exist, so I had absolutely every right to take a pic of Mom in security! So there!!!:tongue: --- ooh, I love that smiley!

So happy you are doing a little TR for NY!!! I saw a lot of the pics on FB, but want the story that goes with them!! :goodvibes

The Wellington….

I should have read the reviews (reviews quoted from Trip Advisor)…..

“Air conditioning sounded like a volcano erupting, windows were nailed shut and sleeping in the stuffy conditions was just about impossible.”

“The hotel was run down, dirty and in desperate need of a refurbishment. Our room was extremely dated. The bathroom was small, barely room to move, the window in the bathroom was directly by the shower - with no curtain or blind!”

“The rooms are small (even for NY), furniture and rug is worn out, walls and trim is chipped and beaten up, bathroom is smaller than the closet and the heat isn't adjustable... we melted even with the window fully open. This hotel is disappointing, go somewhere else. “

Someone actually said the elevator reminded them of the Tower of Terror and I must say I totally agree!!!

DSCF2842.jpg

About to ride the Tower of Terror elevator

But I was going to make the best of it as Mom picked the hotel out and called them directly to make the reservations. Now, we Dis’ers know that if you book a hotel that’s NOT Disney, you should book through a travel site like Expedia or Hotel.com for the best rates. Oh, their website makes it look all fancy and beautiful….until you step foot inside. Remember how Mom wanted a room on the 7th floor facing 7th Avenue to see the parade? Well, not only were we not on the parade route (no fault of the hotel, but we should have been called and told of the route change) we were placed in the back of the hotel on the 15th floor!! (it only had 16 floors). I swear we were in the “old section” because that’s the feeling you got. The elevator was TINY!! Now, you all know I don’t complain about hotels --- I love to stay in hotels and I’m not one of those “inspect every inch of the room before you like it” people. I’m happy with a working toilet and a bed. Oh, and a tv. Mom wanted us to have 2 adjoining rooms. She was never told that the hotel doesn’t have any adjoining rooms, but that they were side by side. Ok. I’m good with that. BUT, what the hotel should have explained to her is that one room would have been sufficient. One room was set up like a suite --- it had a separate bedroom with one double bed and a tv. The other space had another double bed, a couch and a tv. That would have been fine for the 4 of us. But Mom reserved 2 rooms not knowing the layout. So, she spent double what she really should have. It was nice that Peter and I had our own room, but it was so not needed. I wanted Mom to call down and explain the situation, but she said what was done, was done. Fine.

DSCF2631.jpg

The lobby

DSCF2835.jpg

Our room

DSCF2837.jpg

DSCF2839.jpg

Our view….lovely, isn’t it??!!

Now let’s get to the bathroom, shall we?? Yeah, the toilet ran….and ran….and ran….and ran. It even ran after you jiggled the handle. OMG!! And with the way it was positioned, I had to sit kitty corner like in order to be comfortable! Ugh! It was really quite comical now that I’m back home. It was definitely small and cramped. The sink had a little shelf above it which I suppose counts as a vanity. Yeah. Be prepared for a LONG WAIT for the water in the shower to get even somewhat warm. You better not hope anyone flushes a toilet anywhere in the hotel as that water will get so hot it burns your skin and the tub is not big enough for you to have anywhere to escape to. Fun times…fun times! Did Disney really spoil me or this situation was just bad? I believe this hotel was just bad. Onto the heating system. The pipes clanged, clanged, clanged. Again, it’s just an old hotel. You could not regulate the heat from the register in the room (yes, I said register --- an old fashioned heating unit). It was really hot in our room --- so much so that I had to open the windows and slept with them open. Of course they only opened up 3 inches. Apparently they didn’t want you to jump!

DSCF2836.jpg

I read “gift shop” on their website and thought, “oh cool. I can spend an hour or so just browsing”. NOT!!! The gift shop was one aisle with merchandise on either side. I think our room was bigger than the gift shop. Are you kidding me? Really? I guess they figured there’s so many stores along the street that they hotel really didn’t need one. Then there’s the café located within the hotel. Small, crowded, rushed and the food was only adequate. We did get free breakfast, but that consisted of a choice of 2 eggs with sausage and bacon or pancakes. Wow. The front desk had forgotten to give us the little vouchers we needed, so after we sat down the waitperson explained we needed those vouchers. So Mom gets up and goes to the front desk to get them. Very inconvenient! I was not impressed!

DSCF2657.jpg

DSCF2659.jpg

DSCF2658.jpg

That’s about all the pictures I took. Apparently I was not that impressed, huh?

OMG! That bathroom looks tiny! Sounds like it was just super old, I'm glad you can laugh about it now, that's probably what I would have tried to do. Disney spoils us, but not THAT much, I think anyone would have been disappointed with that room and all the issues you had!

see that's the thing with us Dis'ers ---- if it is not documented with a photo or sign, it does not exist, so I had absolutely every right to take a pic of Mom in security! So there!!!:tongue: --- ooh, I love that smiley!

Where did you get that smiley? Too cute! Now I have it, too! :tongue: I think I need to explore the smileys a bit more! :surfweb: It's not like I have WORK to do :rotfl:

Wow! I’m sorry that the room wasn’t what you expected! Yeah, Disney has spoiled us, but at the same time, that room did seem like it was fairly outdated and the staff clearly didn’t honor any of your mom’s requests! What happened to the 7th Ave view? Did they even apologize for putting you all in rooms with no view? Oh well, as Karen said, I’m glad you can laugh about it now. The Christmas tree was pretty! And, hey, you’re in New York! I am excited to see the rest of the report. I have never been to NYC and I really want to go!

I am of two minds about the whole hotel situation...

on one hand... it really does make a great story... the whole ToT thing about the elevator is funny and like Erin said you are in New York together and that is the important thing...

on the other hand...

it seems as if this hotel misrepresented themselves and what they were offering, you don't won't your mother to get taken and this is such a special trip for all of you but especially her... it's really ashamed to think you're getting a parade view room and that certainly wasn't that...

I am anxious and hopeful that things progress more smoothly...

BTW... your mom is really cute...:goodvibes

After settling in for a while it was decided that we should go find somewhere to eat. I had done a little bit of research on restaurants in the area, but since this was my Mom’s trip, I didn’t do a whole lot or make any type of reservations. I had read about the Redeye Grill and it sounded yummy. It was about 2 blocks up on 7th Avenue so we decided to walk to it. Not chosing any restaurants will proove my downfall in the end, but we’ll save that for later. It was exciting to walk in NYC at dusk. People aren’t joking when they describe a whole different “vibe” there. It’s really very pretty with all the lights, but I just couldn’t get over how many PEOPLE there were walking around. I thought Disney was crowded on somedays but WOW!! :scared: Where did all these people come from? We get to the restaurant (it was around 4pm, so still quite early) and all I can say is that it is sooo beautiful! And fancy.

DSCF2648.jpg

DSCF2634.jpg

The prices reminded me of the TS restaurants in Disney, so the prices weren’t all that shocking to me. Besides I had read about it on the website so I knew what to expect. This was one of those restaurants where the maitre d seats you --- actually pulls out the chair for you and places your napkin on your lap. I thought that was cool. Then we had the “bread” waiter come along and offer us bread. Then a different waiter came around and got our drink order.

DSCF2636.jpg

I LOVE that kind of attention but I just don’t like to pay for it. All of us placed our order and I was sooo looking forward to the Lobster and Scallop Lasagna!!! The maitre d came over about 10 minutes later and stated how very sorry he was but that the Lasagna wasn’t going to be ready for another hour and would I care to order something else. I ended up ordering the pulled pork.

DSCF2638.jpg

Our food waiter came over and apologized all over the place for not knowing when I ordered that it wasn’t ready to be ordered. He said that when I ordered dessert, it would be on him. That was amazing! He certainly didn’t have to do that! Then the maitre d came along again and offered us all a glass of champagne --- even Victoria! Now I’m not one to turn down a glass of champagne, so yes, please!!!!

DSCF2637.jpg

DSCF2642.jpg

DSCF2644.jpg

My mother ended up having Peter’s glass as Peter doesn’t drink. We teased Mom about her having 2 glasses for the rest of the evening. Of course I ordered dessert and it was faboooo!!!! MMMMMMMMm. Oh, I love food anyways so I was happy as a piggy in poo! My dessert was some type of chocolate mousse cake. Pure Heaven. Apparently our food waiter didn’t think this was enough for us, so he brought us some chocolate bark and some chocolate chips cookies. This was the very best experience I have had in a long time. It was soooo wonderful! After we had to be rolled out of the restaurant, we walked along the avenue just taking it all in. It was an excellent evening!!

DSCF2645.jpg

DSCF2646.jpg

DSCF2647.jpg

DSCF2651.jpg

Oh, and Victoria thought finding a Hooters was exciting!!

DSCF2649.jpg

DSCF2650.jpg

DSCF2654.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter