BOULDER RIDGE VILLAS & COPPER CREEK VILLAS & CABINS: Wilderness Lodge DVC Expansion Thread

I too am a bit sad about this. We stayed at WL in Sept and just loved the beauty and serenity of the location. We were there during the pool renovation which to us was unobtrusive (if that's a word o_O). Given how the new update to the Poly really disrupted the resort, what can we expect here? I don't see how the type of construction they're talking about for this won't be. :oops: I also worry about the impact of the bungalows to the general beauty of the area. I have a video taken from a boat on the way to the CR..........you can see how beautiful the area is today:

Finally, is the cost of the bungalow's going to make them unattainable to the masses.........even the general DVC population?

Given all the construction that seems to be in the cards here..........looks like a return to the WL isn't in the cards anytime soon.....:sad:........well we will be visiting this December for a lunch at Whispering Canyon! :D

Doug :goofy:

The resort seems to be in constant flux recently with the scaffolding for maintenance and the pool work that was done. With these plans it is clear that WL will stay in flux until at least late 2017. Might this lead to a few deals while the work continues? I know that there were some discounts offered when the pool was closed. I did not keep up with the Poly upgrades but it is clear it was a mess, did they offer deals during the construction? If there are deals we will book again at WL because, even with the work, it is our favorite resort die to theme and location. If they choose not to offer an incentive we may explore a new resort for the first time.

Here is a look at the area to be developed.

http://i235.*************************************VWL/VWLPreOverlay_zps60urgsfj.jpg

Here is the same with the plans overlaid.

http://i235.*************************************History/VWLOverlay_1.jpg

Last edited:
I think what is interesting in this picture is that it names the un built Mediterranean Hotel.

I think if done right these can be pretty good. At first I thought they were going to be over the water eye sores like the Polynesian bungalows but doesnt sound like that will be the case.

Good eye! And, this is where I got totally distracted yesterday. When I saw that on the plan, I went straight to all those documents and got completely sidetracked.

Basins 4 and 5 sit near/on that area and it was thought that they might be involved with the SFWMD part of the WL/VWL project. Consequently, construction documents related to "Club Med," as I like to call it, were posted along with the WL docs. I was so enthralled with all of these documents that I think I may gather the information and create a thread about it. It's very interesting and technically, could still be built on that site since the permits are considered "active" and were approved.

Well…the placement is better…

But i'm just seeing this…these are point flooders into the system. Are they any mention of retrofits to the original building that might house villas that the other 98.8675% of DVC may actually book?

Two ground floor rooms in the South Wing were being gutted in January. In March, the rooms' sliding glass doors were completely covered and so I couldn't determine what they had done to them. The rumor was that they were converting one or two floors in the South Wing into Studios, like that have done at Poly. Recently, a guest asked about those rooms and a CM told her that, "They were being used to test a new ADA room." I still feel like it's a Standard room-Studio conversion model, but nothing has been confirmed and I haven't seen permits related to this yet.

I'm not seeing how they can call the view from the north wing "woods" view if the cabins are going to start right by the existing pond. If they are putting a restaurant where the beach is, will they no longer have a beach? I wonder if they will work on both sides at the same time and will they build the restaurant right away or later? We are supposed to stay at the lodge mid January, I hope it's not too torn up and noisy. God forbid we should stay at A Disney resort without construction going on. I'm sure the cabins will be great for those with unlimited income. I love WL, but it looks pretty packed together in the plans for my taste. We'll see I guess.

From the plans I've seen, it would appear that the entire beach area will be occupied by the restaurant or there may be a small swath of beach left in front of it, I can't tell.

While some of the cabins will be in front of the North Wing Woods View rooms, I don't know if they will leave a wooded area, like a buffer, in front of the North Wing and behind the cabins or if all this brush will be removed from this area:

IMG_1957.jpg

fb1f7e34-c594-4cff-9749-ee68e31f7e90.jpg

Thanks a million for posting this. Seems like WL will be a much bigger resort in a few years.

You're welcome. Maximum occupancy will increase as well as some amenities:)

Cabins look to be 1750-1800 square feet - larger than the bungalows at the Polynesian.

http://i235.*************************************CabinSizeDM_1.png

Mike, I want to thank you so very much for posting your fabulous imagery in this thread. I love your attention to detail and your overlay is fantastic. It adds so much and makes for a more complete picture of what we can expect from this project. Thank you for sharing your hard work and I hope you'll continue to share your DVC expertise with all of us.

If your estimate is correct, then this would be the first of its kind DVC villa with this kind of square footage. Looking at DVC SF charts, an 1800 SF villa would be currently equivalent to a one and two-bedroom combo or the smallest Grand Villa ever built. What do you make of this?

Thank you Kook! This makes me sad. I guess change is hard. I'm not sure why we have to tear up all these beautiful resorts instead of building a new one. Glad we stayed there in April!
You're welcome and yes, change is hard, especially when you don't have all the details. It's all about the bottom line: Modifying existing infrastructure is more cost effective and DVC creates an almost immediately cash flow from those who purchase points. Expanding makes more fiscal sense for Disney, for now.

We're booked for our 1st visit to WL (2nd visit to WDW) over Thanksgiving; I think we'll be switching resorts. Think we'll save WL for a future trip- once the construction is done. Now, to decide where to stay..... Thanks for posting this info :)

You never know what might be coming up at another resort. At least this is a known project, like Poly, but rehabs and general maintenance occur at all the resorts, year 'round, so at some level it's almost impossible to avoid on a daily basis especially when you also factor in all the park rehabs taking place, too.

As a DVC owner I'm excited about the new changes. But sad for the next two years there will be construction. If it looks anything like the Poly demolition then I need to use my VWL points elsewhere. Happy but also sad......

As of now, it looks like 1.5 years of construction, but that can certainly change. The Poly rehab has really been all over the entire resort and this shouldn't look like that at all. The Poly had the GCH completely redone and Capt. Cook's, but the lobby and RF aren't being changed at WL. The NeverLand club was also redone, but the Cub's Den won't be affected (that I know of). The Volcano pool is right in the middle of the resort and created a big mess. The WL pool had already undergone renovation so that shouldn't be impacted. I think the footprint of this project is considerable less than Poly's.

Well after see this looks like I'll. E switching over to AKL in November. Really wanted to stay here b/c I love the feel of WL during the holiday but don't want to stay here during construction.

At least you'll still be at a Lodge and it has the same architect;)

We'll be staying at VWL for the first time over Thanksgiving and I'm kind of second-guessing now, too. :( I wonder if the construction will be absolutely horrible or just somewhat of a nuisance... Not sure what to do.

If it does start in September, then I'm sure we'll get reports from guests here and/or on the WL/VWL thread. I'll be there in August doing some snooping:magnify:

Following along..

WL holds a piece of my heart, I'll be very interested to see what the changes will bring.

Keeping an open mind. For now... ;)

That's the spirit:thumbsup2

Wow! Thanks Kook for all the information. I was struggling with not staying at WL this October but glad we are trying the Beach Club now.

Those BC rooms will all be rehabbed by the end of August so you should have a nice, new room:)

Last edited:

The resort seems to be in constant flux recently with the scaffolding for maintenance and the pool work that was done. With these plans it is clear that WL will stay in flux until at least late 2017. Might this lead to a few deals while the work continues? I know that there were some discounts offered when the pool was closed. I did not keep up with the Poly upgrades but it is clear it was a mess, did they offer deals during the construction? If there are deals we will book again at WL because, even with the work, it is our favorite resort die to theme and location. If they choose not to offer an incentive we may explore a new resort for the first time.
No discounts were offered at Poly due to the construction nor am I aware of any ever being offered at any other resort due to construction. They only offered free water park passes when the Volcano Pool was closed. WL did the same thing when the pool was closed, but it seems the guest had to be more proactive in getting the free tickets. Some guests who complained, primarily about view obstructions/degradation, did receive a small monetary compensation of about $50. But, this was on a case-by-case basis and not publicly offered.

I noticed on the plans that smaller buildings that are staying are labeled as 'existing,' like the Teton Boat and Bike rental building. However, I don't see the Smokehouse building on the plans. Do you think they're going to remove it and possibly move AP to the waterfront location and modify WCC and the current AP location? It is located near the new walkway pictured below.

Also, is the modification area of the current CM parking lot possibly a new parking garage or just a modification to existing lot spaces to include both CM and guest/HA parking? I noticed an HA symbol on one of the parking spots near the South cabins.

http://i235.*************************************VWLOverlayDM.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 3.04.29 PM.png

Mike, I want to thank you so very much for posting your fabulous imagery in this thread. I love your attention to detail and your overlay is fantastic. It adds so much and makes for a more complete picture of what we can expect from this project. Thank you for sharing your hard work and I hope you'll continue to share your DVC expertise with all of us.

If your estimate is correct, then this would be the first of its kind DVC villa with this kind of square footage. Looking at DVC SF charts, an 1800 SF villa would be currently equivalent to a one and two-bedroom combo or the smallest Grand Villa ever built. What do you make of this?

I think a lot of DVC members would be excited if these were 2-BR lock-off units (1-BR + Studio). However, I don't think that's DVC has that in mind. It's either a very large 2-BR, a mini-GV, or something new.

I'm looking forward to the floor plans.

Also, is the modification area of the current CM parking lot possibly a new parking garage or just a modification to existing lot spaces to include both CM and guest/HA parking? I noticed an HA symbol on one of the parking spots near the South cabins.

It looks like they may be adding special parking for the cabins - on both sides.

My dad has such a hard time with change. The loss of trees for her hurts. Life is change. I imagine the impact like Kook and Mike are posting should not be too invasive in the short term. I'll bet with the holidays coming it won't be too bad.

I have only visited the resort, but I think it's going to look and feel vastly different (and more crowded)

WL was on my list of resorts to try but I think I will pass for now. Or perhaps forever.

Someone has to ask the dumb questions, so here I go:flower3::duck:…Do we know 100% that these cabins will in fact be DVC? I know that's all Disney has been adding since AoA, but I just have to ask since the square footage is so unlike anything that currently exists in DVC inventory. Also, none of the permits include the word "DVC" or "villa" or "Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge," for example:
Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 2.06.39 PM.png

I think a lot of DVC members would be excited if these were 2-BR lock-off units (1-BR + Studio). However, I don't think that's DVC has that in mind. It's either a very large 2-BR, a mini-GV, or something new.

I'm looking forward to the floor plans.

Too bad we don't have a sketch of the plumbing rough-ins, then we would know the number of bathrooms. I guess those aren't relevant to SFWMD permits?

Wow- this is crazy- no more beach access or trees

Well, we don't know yet what they'll do about a beach, but it's not looking good and while many trees will have to be removed, some will remain, which turns Wilderness Lodge a bit more into Wilder-less Lodge:sad2:

My dad has such a hard time with change. The loss of trees for her hurts. Life is change. I imagine the impact like Kook and Mike are posting should not be too invasive in the short term. I'll bet with the holidays coming it won't be too bad.

Maybe your dad will prefer it when it's completely done. I imagine the land clearing will be phase 1 in the Fall. I really dislike the way a property looks when it's been cleared and is barren:worried:

Last edited:
Someone has to ask the dumb questions, so here I go:flower3::duck:…Do we know 100% that these cabins will in fact be DVC? I know that's all Disney has been adding since AoA, but I just have to ask since the square footage is so unlike anything that currently exists in DVC inventory. Also, none of the permits include the word "DVC" or "villa" or "Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge," for example:​

The DVC work at the Polynesian was filed as "Polynesian Resort Rehabilitation", and it turned out to be DVC.

I'm willing to bet it's DVC.

Someone has to ask the dumb questions, so here I go:flower3::duck:…Do we know 100% that these cabins will in fact be DVC? I know that's all Disney has been adding since AoA, but I just have to ask since the square footage is so unlike anything that currently exists in DVC inventory. Also, none of the permits include the word "DVC" or "villa" or "Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge," for example:
:worried:

There is a zero percent chance this is not DVC...

#1. There's no downside to expensive rooms in DVC

#2 Disney has zero desire to build rack rooms at this point - why sell rooms when your can build ones that have a high certainty of booking?​

Another resort to avoid for the next two years.

I am just the opposite. They already have the courtyard done, and if you look at those plans, if you have an inner courtyard view, you won't even see any construction other than while walking to the boat dock. I think enough people will not stay there that it becomes even more inviting to some of us.

I am just the opposite. They already have the courtyard done, and if you look at those plans, if you have an inner courtyard view, you won't even see any construction other than while walking to the boat dock. I think enough people will not stay there that it becomes even more inviting to some of us.

Hope so. After the fiasco over at the Poly, I will try to stay cautiously optomistic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter