Bought a condo in FL; can we get a resident ticket discount?

MELSMICE

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, to Disney World we'll go. It'll be
DH & I purchased a condo in Fort Myers about a year ago? We do not live there full time. We vacation there a few weeks out of the year & rent it for a few weeks.

Are we eligible for WDW resident discounts & if so, how would we go about utilizing them?

If I'm understanding you correctly, you merely own property in FL but are a resident of another state. As such, I don't believe you qualify for the resident offers.

Do you have a FL driver's license with that address on it? This is what Disney checks when we get our resident passes.

Valid FL driver's license

If I'm understanding you correctly, you merely own property in FL but are a resident of another state. As such, I don't believe you qualify for the resident offers.
Yes, that is correct. We are NYS residents.

I thought it was only if you reside somewhere for at least 6 months or longer, so it looks like we'll continue to use our DVC discount.

Thanks.

Do you have a FL driver's license with that address on it? This is what Disney checks when we get our resident passes.

No, just NYS licenses.

I guess when we become official "snowbirds" then I can use the resident perk!

These are the official rules:

Florida Resident tickets are only available to actual Florida Residents and cannot be purchased for out-of-state family or friends.

An adult Florida Resident may purchase Florida Resident media for more than one Florida Resident from any location that provides an exchange certificate and not an actual ticket.

Children under the age of 18 are not required to provide proof of Florida residency if they are accompanied by an adult with valid proof of Florida residency

If the Guest has an exchange certificate, a valid form of Florida ID will be required when the exchange certificate is redeemed for the actual pass

One ticket only per valid proof of Florida residence (a Florida resident may buy tickets for minors in the party)

Exchange Certificates may say:

"After sale..., may not be transferred except as a gift." This means that the certificate may be given as a gift, so long as the recipient meets the defined Florida residency criteria.

"Purchase and redemption of this exchange certificate requires proof of Florida Residency."

The following items are the only documents accepted as proof of Florida Residency:
* Valid Florida State Drivers License
* Valid Florida State issued ID Card with Florida Address
* Valid Florida Voter’s Registration Card with the Guest's name and address with corresponding photo ID
* Valid Florida University / College Student ID
* Valid Military ID stationed at one of the Florida Military Bases listed below:
(List of bases removed as unneeded)

For Part-Year Residents the following original documents are acceptable.

Note that fax and photocopies are not acceptable, that bills and mail cannot be more than two months old, that PO Box addresses are not allowed, and items related to TimeShares are not permitted.
Must have a driver's license or state photo ID card from another state, or a non-US Passport and at least one of the following items which does show a Florida address:
* Proof of Rent, Mortgage or Ownership such as a Deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement, mortgage payment booklet or residential lease.
* Current homeowner's insurance policy or bill, current automobile insurance policy or bill or current utility bill.
* Statement from a financial institution showing checking, savings, credit card or investment information or mail from a Federal or Florida State, County or City government agency.

Ah! Good to know. When we had looked at a condo in Fort Lauderdale as a vacation property, I thought I remember them saying as long as you are in the state property tax system that shows you are the owner and pay property taxes in FL, you are eligible for the resident passes. This was quite a while ago, so I may not be remembering it correctly. OP-have you checked with Disney about the actual rule?

Ah! Good to know. When we had looked at a condo in Fort Lauderdale as a vacation property, I thought I remember them saying as long as you are in the state property tax system that shows you are the owner and pay property taxes in FL, you are eligible for the resident passes. This was quite a while ago, so I may not be remembering it correctly. OP-have you checked with Disney about the actual rule?

I guess the above answers my question-we all posted at the same time!

Thanks!

i've seen this topic get ugly, believe it or not.

there are ways around it but the DIS does not allow us to discuss ways to circumvent Disney rules.

I hope this thread doesn't get ugly, because that's a major turn off to this site. The ghost of Walt needs to visit a few people and smack them upside the head. There shouldn't be a fear to ask a question on an information forum, even if someone needs to politely remind the poster of a rule.

The WDW rules state that part-time residents who have an address here are allowed to buy FL AP's, with certain forms of proof. See my link posted earlier.

There is no debate, or circumvention of rules, they are entitled to buy their FLAPs.

I hope this thread doesn't get ugly, because that's a major turn off to this site. The ghost of Walt needs to visit a few people and smack them upside the head. There shouldn't be a fear to ask a question on an information forum, even if someone needs to politely remind the poster of a rule.

The WDW rules state that part-time residents who have an address here are allowed to buy FL AP's, with certain forms of proof. See my link posted earlier.

There is no debate, or circumvention of rules, they are entitled to buy their FLAPs.

And a valid question if one doesnt know the answer

there are ways around it but the DIS does not allow us to discuss ways to circumvent Disney rules.

Before making such an assumption it would be wise to be sure of the policies...you are correct that the DIS does not allow discussion of circumventing the rules BUT there is no rule here that is being circumvented. Property owners (not timeshare owners) are entitled to the FL resident perks as outlined ahead of your post.

Liz

And a valid question if one doesnt know the answer
Yes, it was a valid question. DH & I were talking about it last night & he said I should ask "the DIS".

I now know the rules & requirements. We will not be able to get a resident pass at this point. It will be quite a few years before we do as we're not that close to retirement - especially with 3 kids entering college this fall! :eek:

That's OK though - I still get my DVC discount! I have no reason to try & get around the residency rules & regulations.

Yes, it was a valid question. DH & I were talking about it last night & he said I should ask "the DIS".

I now know the rules & requirements. We will not be able to get a resident pass at this point. It will be quite a few years before we do as we're not that close to retirement - especially with 3 kids entering college this fall! :eek:

That's OK though - I still get my DVC discount! I have no reason to try & get around the residency rules & regulations.

You actually will be able to useit!!!:cool1:See the post on the first page..i

We haven't been on the board lately due to buying a townhouse in Champions Gate -- 10 min. southwest of Disney on I 4. We were told we could be considered for the Florida rates but this was by the people selling us the townhouse and they said we needed to check into it in case that info had changed. We still have not checked into it but we are also DVC members and we get our AP's with our DVC discount.

It is my understanding that the Florida AP's have black out dates. Is this true? If yes, it would make sense to keep your DVC AP with no black out dates. When we are at our house it will be during the prime times such as holidays. I could be wrong about the black out dates.

Eventually we will be moving to Florida full time but it will be between 5 to 10 years before that happens. *I didn't believe it was such a short drive to Disney's World Drive and it was true! Champions Gate is a gated community located in the city limits of Davenport. It is where the Omni hotel is located. When we drive to Disney we pass the wonderful Mickey power tower!

Kathy

It doesn't circumvent the rules. We own a second home in Pensacola Beach. We have Florida ID cards (you can't have 2 drivers liscences.) We paid MORE for our little house at the beach than we paid for our big house in Texas. We pay TAXES to the state of Florida (YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT!!!) We get the resident discount at WDW for rooms and tickets.

This is NOT the same thing as owning a timeshare. We own a REAL home. We don't get to go there nearly as often as we would like to, but we do own it!
We also could produce utility bills with that address, etc., but have never been asked to with the Florida IDs. Our under age 18 kids can get the discounted tickets too, but our 19 year old daughter can not (per the rules.)

We haven't been on the board lately due to buying a townhouse in Champions Gate -- 10 min. southwest of Disney on I 4. We were told we could be considered for the Florida rates but this was by the people selling us the townhouse and they said we needed to check into it in case that info had changed. We still have not checked into it but we are also DVC members and we get our AP's with our DVC discount.

It is my understanding that the Florida AP's have black out dates. Is this true? If yes, it would make sense to keep your DVC AP with no black out dates. When we are at our house it will be during the prime times such as holidays. I could be wrong about the black out dates.

Eventually we will be moving to Florida full time but it will be between 5 to 10 years before that happens. *I didn't believe it was such a short drive to Disney's World Drive and it was true! Champions Gate is a gated community located in the city limits of Davenport. It is where the Omni hotel is located. When we drive to Disney we pass the wonderful Mickey power tower!

Kathy

You can buy premium resident APs with NO blackout dates, or buy the cheaper ones with the blackout dates. We don't buy APs, but have bought and used the shorter term Florida tickets.
Just go on the Disney website and enter the zip code of your condo and you will see all the benefits offered to residents.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter