Borrowing Restrictions

bwang123

Earning my Beers
Has anyone else been able to borrow more than 50% of points since the restriction? We were able to borrow 100% and the reservations have not been cancelled for some time now.

They said reservations would be canceled in a week or so after being made if found to have used more.

I get that they haven’t canceled yet, but I wouldn’t count on it not getting caught at some point and the reservation gone,

Personally, I don’t think I would chance It.

Interesting experience here this morning. We had a June/July Aulani trip that we had to cancel, some of which was reserved with borrowed points. The borrowed points had not yet been returned to their original use year, so were all still showing in 2020. I made a December 2020 reservation for Grand Californian this morning, but didn't like how it took points from my two contracts, so I had to cancel it and call Member Services to get it fixed. The CM started off by returning all 2021 borrowed points to 2021 UY. She then went in and made the new reservation, borrowing back 97% of the 2021 points from one of our contracts (about 60% of our total 2021 points, across both contracts) to do so. I didn't point this out to her, as this would be my preferred point allocation, but I was very surprised. Not sure if they would subsequently cancel or change (we DO have enough points for the reservation without borrowing more than 50%, they could just move points around) a reservation that was manually created by a CM, as opposed to one I made in the online system...I guess we shall see.

I had to cancel a June reservation. I had 46 banked points from my June 2019 use year, I booked studio in January to use up those points, and will bank my remaining June 2020 points, so I don;t have to borrow for a big 10 person Thanksgiving 2021 trip in 2-two bedroom units. WIth the borrowing restrictions, I didn't want to chance not having the needed points.

Interesting experience here this morning. We had a June/July Aulani trip that we had to cancel, some of which was reserved with borrowed points. The borrowed points had not yet been returned to their original use year, so were all still showing in 2020. I made a December 2020 reservation for Grand Californian this morning, but didn't like how it took points from my two contracts, so I had to cancel it and call Member Services to get it fixed. The CM started off by returning all 2021 borrowed points to 2021 UY. She then went in and made the new reservation, borrowing back 97% of the 2021 points from one of our contracts (about 60% of our total 2021 points, across both contracts) to do so. I didn't point this out to her, as this would be my preferred point allocation, but I was very surprised. Not sure if they would subsequently cancel or change (we DO have enough points for the reservation without borrowing more than 50%, they could just move points around) a reservation that was manually created by a CM, as opposed to one I made in the online system...I guess we shall see.

I had the same thing happen. The CM told me it was easier for her to return everything to where it came from and then redo the reservation. (she had to cancel it entirely to do it but I wasn't really worried about OKW availability going away mid-process) My understanding is as long as they wind up re-borrowing less than you had before and/or it's under the 50% rule, the reservation is fine and they are happy to do this.

Regardless, the policy update FAQ actually explicitly says they are only looking at reservations made ONLINE to see if they use > 50% borrowed points. Since the CM did it, it shouldn't be canceled.

Bruce

I had the same thing happen. The CM told me it was easier for her to return everything to where it came from and then redo the reservation. (she had to cancel it entirely to do it but I wasn't really worried about OKW availability going away mid-process) My understanding is as long as they wind up re-borrowing less than you had before and/or it's under the 50% rule, the reservation is fine and they are happy to do this.

Regardless, the policy update FAQ actually explicitly says they are only looking at reservations made ONLINE to see if they use > 50% borrowed points. Since the CM did it, it shouldn't be canceled.

Bruce

I think we see the policy online, but I wouldn’t trust that because a CM did it that it is safe, because it applies to all.

If what you have booked is a hard to get room and another CM cancels it because more than 50% are borrowed, you could still lose the room. JMO

Bruce

I wonder if this phrase is what caused the CM to act for both Bruce and myself: "Points already borrowed for a stay outside the closure period will be honored, even if they are above the 50 percent threshold." Technically, we had both already borrowed the points that we were using for the new reservation--we weren't borrowing anew...who knows. If my reservation gets canceled, it does. If not, hooray.

How long do you think they will have the borrowing restriction in place? I am waiting to close on a 75 point contract at Poly and that won't get me very far with this restriction.

The answer is probably here and I’m just not recognizing it as such I’m sorry. Have a June stay made before the restriction with more than 50 percent borrowed. If I want to move it to August is it ok or am I in danger? Thanks.

The answer is probably here and I’m just not recognizing it as such I’m sorry. Have a June stay made before the restriction with more than 50 percent borrowed. If I want to move it to August is it ok or am I in danger? Thanks.

You will be fine since you borrowed before the start of this restriction.

I've read a report where an owner was told by MS that if they changed then the points would be unborrowed - and the 50% rule would become effective. They stated it was reservations that were in place, and unchanged, that would be allowed to remain with points borrowed over the limit. I'd check before making a change so you know for certain.

I've read a report where an owner was told by MS that if they changed then the points would be unborrowed - and the 50% rule would become effective. They stated it was reservations that were in place, and unchanged, that would be allowed to remain with points borrowed over the limit. I'd check before making a change so you know for certain.

Return of borrowed points certainly isn’t instantaneous. People have been reported it takes weeks/they have to contact MS to have them returned. And you can definitely modify a reservation (including moving dates) without any problem. My belief (disclaimer) is that if you don’t trigger new borrowing, they won’t look at the reservation at all; they’re searching for borrow transactions then checking if they exceed the limit. I had moved my own reservations (using borrowed points) around earlier and they never got deleted. It wasn’t until I wanted to get some of the borrowed points returned to 2021 that I had a CM help to make sure it happened properly.

I also believe that (as the FAQ says) if you’re concerned and have a CM do it, those are OK. As @Sandisw says, there is always a chance that might not be right/someone might make a mistake. It’s been known to happen. Personally I would bet against it....

Bruce

I inquired when I moved my trip and since I modified and adjusted....and the points were borrowed before the date, they would allow them to stay borrowed.

They did tell me if I didn’t put them back into a reservstion before they were unborrowed, then I’d not be able to get them back,

But, if I changed my trip, and put them in a new one right away, then I was qualified to keep them.

I had a stay booked for April with borrowed points. When the reservation was cancelled my borrowed points went back to 2021 and I was unable to use all of them to rebook for December. I had to book one less day due to only being able to use 50% from the 2021 use year even though they had been previously borrowed before the closures.

Has anyone else been able to borrow more than 50% of points since the restriction? We were able to borrow 100% and the reservations have not been cancelled for some time now.
was your reservation cancelled?

This has be aggravating. We have a small contract that we bought as an add on. They wouldn’t let me borrow all 50 points, but let me borrow 25 and purchase 24 one time use points. Where is the logic there???

Last edited:
This has be aggravated. We have a small contract that we bought as an add on. They wouldn’t let me borrow all 50 points, but let me borrow 25 and purchase 24 one time use points. Where is the logic there???

Other than it makes them money, the OTU points are Disney’s so now a members uses them vs them being used for rooms for cash?

However, to be honest, yeah,,it does seem illogical.

You will be fine since you borrowed before the start of this restriction.

I am in the same situations as @Lisa75

Have more than 50% borrowed for July 3rd this year. So it would be better for me to modify it to a new date before Disney actually cancels it? Is that correct? Then I would be able to keep all my borrowed points?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts