Boorish behavior

byanks7

Goldtimer
I just returned from a 5 night Magic cruise out of Miami. We had sailed twice on the Dream and I was interested in the comparison. I will post a very favorable review shortly. It was fantastic!
But, I have to post something to see if there was anyone else that witnessed this event on Castaway Cay. The beach was crowded, and a mother began spraying sunblock on her child. Another mother got up and told the woman the residue of the spray had gotten in her young child's eyes. From what I saw, the second mother wasnt aggressive, but did comment on the spraying.
With that, the spraying mother seemed to explode with a barrage of terrible insults on the second mother. Another older woman, im guessing the grandmother, stepped in and the spraying woman actually began spraying the grandmother as she continued the verbal assault. Then the husband came over and got into both of their faces and made the comment, go get your husband so i can kill him. I and others around me were shocked by this threat. People started to gather around, and the sprayer and her husband quickly gathered their belongings and left the area after the other two women said they were getting security. Thats the last i saw of any of them, but the buzz on the beach continued.
It was a very sad incident to think that even on paradise (Castaway Cay) people act like this.

In my many cruises, I’ve never witnessed an altercation between guests. That being said, the number of incidents involving guests behaving badly is gowing yearly, which is normal considering the number of passengers on the new ships. It was mentioned in many articles relating to the recent fight on a Carnival cruise. I feel the cruise contract protects us by allowing the cruise lines to take drastic measures when they find a guest doing something inappropriate.

In my many cruises, I’ve never witnessed an altercation between guests. That being said, the number of incidents involving guests behaving badly is gowing yearly, which is normal considering the number of passengers on the new ships. It was mentioned in many articles relating to the recent fight on a Carnival cruise. I feel the cruise contract protects us by allowing the cruise lines to take drastic measures when they find a guest doing something inappropriate.
I agree this is unacceptable behaviour but for a small minority it's seems to occur.

I have read reports, such as the recent Panama crossing on the Wonder, of continuing stealing of FEs not just children but adults as well. This is a shame.
Magnets on doors continue to be stolen.

I have witnessed cruisers who feel very empowered to police situations such as over 18 policy, or saved seats, which should be left to DCL, but they feel personal ownership to deal with it. This can cause disagreements as this situation.

Sometimes there are Miss understandings, like removal of items on chairs when children are in the pools a long time.

More tolerance and more security is required.

Anyone allegedly threatening to kill someone, particularly if not involved but say a husband, should be banned from Disney, always.

On our first Fantasy cruise, we saw a group of drunken men ready to start fighting outside the gift shop on the way back to the ship. It was late in the day. The alcohol + heat was not a good combination. We shuffled the kids outta there quick since we didn't know how far they would take it.

Common decency is, unfortunately, not a requirement for some population of society. If they can't be kind to fellow humans on vacation, what must they be like at the grocery store or in traffic? It's too bad the kids are being exposed to and learning this behavior.

People who use spray sinscreeen really hate the reality that it hurts other people. I’ve gone into an asthma attack after accidentally walking through a sunscreen cloud.

I bought a can once, before thinking about it, because my son hated the sunscreen process (still does). Oops. You can see the cloud if you’re paying attention.

Anyway.

Yes some people are rotten even when in paradise.

Furthermore, the spray sunscreen doesn't actually all get on you AND you go through a can a lot faster than the cream. It's great in a pinch, I guess, though.
DD's camp requests it.

It works if you spray close and rub it in, but it also does impact others. Always good to think about how your actions impact the people around you. I try to remind myself of that regularly and would hope others do too.

I love spray sunscreen. So much easier. I would feel so bad if someone told me my spraying skills got sunscreen in their kids eyes. I use the spray to keep it out of my kids eyes because it hurts and they cry and are miserable.
Once in line for Jungle Cruise I was berated by an adult because my son (5) sneezed and it sprayed on his daughter. I apologized over and over but he would not stop yelling and I could not fix it. I thought my son, his daughter and myself were going to cry. It is gross to be sneezed on and I wish it hadn't happened but what can you do?
You can't not sunscreen your kid. You can try to point them away from people or not do it so wildly but what was the sprayer supposed to do after the fact? I mean escalating the situation doesn't help but apologizing doesn't always help either.

Our last cruise as in 2013. Sailing again this June (yippee). When we boarded the train to go back to the ship at the end of our castaway cay day there was a family with 3 teenagers that sat right in front of us. their young teen daughter (14 or 15) was very clearly extremely drunk. The parents just laughed it off until she started laying on the tram floor and acting like she was going to vomit on them. Needless to say we were shocked. I knew the teen aged girl was not served by CMs so it had to have been her parents that allowed her to drink and have access to the alcohol. She wasn't just a bit tipsy - she was stumbling, belligerent, not able to stay awake, being sexually promiscuous with a teen aged boy right in front of everyone.

You can try to point them away from people or not do it so wildly but what was the sprayer supposed to do after the fact? I mean escalating the situation doesn't help but apologizing doesn't always help either.

1) Well you can ensure you are as far away as possible from other people and be careful of where you're spraying. This would greatly reduce the impact to others as the sunscreen in the air should disipate quickly.

2) I do agree on apologizing. It goes a long way. And then realizing you could try option number 1 listed above if you need to continue to spray the person you currently are or you need to spray someone else.

3) In the OP's particular situation the sprayer escalated by becoming immediately hostile and then continuing to spray on another person thus completely disregarding the initial compliant. The other husband was totally out of line for sure though and that would be extremely unsettling to have someone actually say to go find someone so they could kill them.

Majority of the time IME sprayers tend to forget their surroundings and act like they are putting on normal sunscreen. I doubt most do it on purpose just a not realizing situation.

I agree that spray sunscreen is sometimes more convenient, but I don't use it because I've read that breathing it in can cause all sorts of problems including cancer. I think if I'm trying to prevent skin cancer, I certainly don't want to cause another cancer in doing so.

I just returned from a 5 night Magic cruise out of Miami. We had sailed twice on the Dream and I was interested in the comparison. I will post a very favorable review shortly. It was fantastic!
But, I have to post something to see if there was anyone else that witnessed this event on Castaway Cay. The beach was crowded, and a mother began spraying sunblock on her child. Another mother got up and told the woman the residue of the spray had gotten in her young child's eyes. From what I saw, the second mother wasnt aggressive, but did comment on the spraying.
With that, the spraying mother seemed to explode with a barrage of terrible insults on the second mother. Another older woman, im guessing the grandmother, stepped in and the spraying woman actually began spraying the grandmother as she continued the verbal assault. Then the husband came over and got into both of their faces and made the comment, go get your husband so i can kill him. I and others around me were shocked by this threat. People started to gather around, and the sprayer and her husband quickly gathered their belongings and left the area after the other two women said they were getting security. Thats the last i saw of any of them, but the buzz on the beach continued.
It was a very sad incident to think that even on paradise (Castaway Cay) people act like this.

Must have been the same people that were near us one time on Castaway Cay. We had our stuff on chairs and when we came back to our spot most of our stuff was moved to other chairs, thus separating our group with them in the middle. There were plenty of other chairs around but they just wanted the ones we had claimed already. We asked nicely why our stuff was moved and they went ballistic! They started yelling and screaming and cursing at us. We tried to explain that they broke up our group. They just could not discuss it rationally. It was scary. We all decided to cut our losses and moved elsewhere as they were unhinged and we did not want to spend the day next to them.

MJ

I agree that spray sunscreen is sometimes more convenient, but I don't use it because I've read that breathing it in can cause all sorts of problems including cancer. I think if I'm trying to prevent skin cancer, I certainly don't want to cause another cancer in doing so.

I've heard the same. My dd's summer camp asks that parents don't send spray sunscreen to camp. My dd has asthma, so I appreciate this.

Wow. I never heard it caused cancers of its own! I agree apologizing usually helps and finding a place away from others is considerate. I just don't know what you are supposed to do after the fact to help. I know I felt lost as I was being yelled at as to a possible solution and embarrassment is a factor here as well. Or at least I feel it could be.

It would be great if everyone was considerate and laid back on vacation. Sadly, it just doesn't happen. We've only cruised twice. Our most recent cruise there was some very inconsiderate behavior going on. People don't seem to understand buffet or elevator etiquette, in addition to some other things like throwing your hygiene products on the floors in the bathrooms. I kind of chalked it up to being a super busy Spring Break cruise.
My kids can't understand why people can behave this way, I'm just trying to get them to understand they can't control anyone else's behavior, only theirs. There are rules and we are doing our best to follow them, no matter what they see anyone else doing. Hopefully, someday my kids will be responsible and considerate humans. It's sad, the mentality. I heard several times "I paid a lot of money for this vacation and I'm doing whatever I want." So did everyone else but they still act with integrity and character and consideration. That's my two cents. :-)

While we're talking sunscreen, I highly encourage people to learn about what sunscreens are reef safe and which are bad for ocean life. In general, the "old school" mineral sunscreens are safe for oceans, and while they take a little more work to rub in, I find they work a lot better on my very pale, sunburn-prone, casper the friendly ghost skin!

How awful for a few inconsiderate people to act that way during everyone's vacation time. Some people just can not put their everyday bad behavior on hold for a week. My DH and I experienced a first bad behavior on our 2016 Disney Wonder Southern Caribbean cruise out of San Juan, Puerto Rico. We decorate our stateroom door and enjoy looking at all the other door decoration. But on this cruise, numerous stateroom doors, on several decks, had posted notices to stop stealing their door magnets. Luckily haven't seen that since on our latest cruises.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter