Booking Star Wars character meets?

gatordoc

hopelessly addicted...
So the platinum booking window opened today for our Star Wars cruise next year. Other than CC cabanas, availability this morning was wide open for absolutely everything that could be booked. The exception was the three SW character meets (Chewbacca, Darry Vader, and C-3PO/R2D2). Every time slot throughout SW day (day 6) was available. However, the meets were also shown under Onboard Fun on day 2 and day 3, but these were all listed as sold out. I find it hard to believe that all those could have been filled by concierge guests, who are the only ones who could have booked sooner. Does anyone know if these meets truly happen on those days (or is the listing mistaken)? Or is the availability perhaps being held back to be released later (which I’ve never been aware of DCL doing other than for booking after boarding)?

I know that the SW characters can be booked on multiple days. We did the SWAS cruise this past January and we saw them on SW day. But they were available on other days too. As to 'could they be sold out by now'....???? I can't imagine that's true, but ???? Go with what you can get. It's completely worth it. There will be many other characters walking throughout the ship on SW day...Boba, Stormtroopers, Jawa (bring shiny objects and they'll trade with you), Imperial Guard. Loads of fun on this cruise. I hope you have a great time!

So the platinum booking window opened today for our Star Wars cruise next year. Other than CC cabanas, availability this morning was wide open for absolutely everything that could be booked. The exception was the three SW character meets (Chewbacca, Darry Vader, and C-3PO/R2D2). Every time slot throughout SW day (day 6) was available. However, the meets were also shown under Onboard Fun on day 2 and day 3, but these were all listed as sold out. I find it hard to believe that all those could have been filled by concierge guests, who are the only ones who could have booked sooner. Does anyone know if these meets truly happen on those days (or is the listing mistaken)? Or is the availability perhaps being held back to be released later (which I’ve never been aware of DCL doing other than for booking after boarding)?
My gold booking day for our cruise is November 9th...forever away! Can you tell me when wine tasting and the chocolate and liquor tastings are offered? Trying to plan. Hoping as gold I'll still have good choices!

My gold booking day for our cruise is November 9th...forever away! Can you tell me when wine tasting and the chocolate and liquor tastings are offered? Trying to plan. Hoping as gold I'll still have good choices!
Wine: day 3 at 1:45, day 6 at 12:15
Chocolate: day 2 at 12:15, day 3 at 12:15, day 5 at 3:45 (we booked that one :))
Hopefully you can get what you want, or if not get it once you board. Good luck!

I saw the exact same thing for our cruise Jan 4-11. I also am platinum and noticed it immediately as our window opened. Maybe held back for other window openings.

Wine: day 3 at 1:45, day 6 at 12:15
Chocolate: day 2 at 12:15, day 3 at 12:15, day 5 at 3:45 (we booked that one :))
Hopefully you can get what you want, or if not get it once you board. Good luck!
Is day 5 SWDAS? I have never seen chocolate and liquor later than 12:15!

Is day 5 SWDAS? I have never seen chocolate and liquor later than 12:15!
No, it’s St. Thomas. All aboard is 4:00 to get moving to make it to CC on day 7. Day 6 is SWDAS. And I agree that I’ve not see chocolate that late either, but I think it will be a great mid-afternoon snack!

No, it’s St. Thomas. All aboard is 4:00 to get moving to make it to CC on day 7. Day 6 is SWDAS. And I agree that I’ve not see chocolate that late either, but I think it will be a great mid-afternoon snack!
That is good news. I really wanted to do both Palo and Remy brunch and keep SWDAS free and this would let me do that!!!

That is good news. I really wanted to do both Palo and Remy brunch and keep SWDAS free and this would let me do that!!!
Exactly what we’re doing - Remy brunch day 2 and Palo brunch day 3. Nice to be able to do chocolate/liquor a different day, and still have SWDAS clear.

Exactly what we’re doing - Remy brunch day 2 and Palo brunch day 3. Nice to be able to do chocolate/liquor a different day, and still have SWDAS clear.
sorry to keep bugging you with questions ;) But can you tell me what time the brunches are available? I assume they are long seatings. Traveling alone with my kiddo and he is 11 and I am assuming will be MUCH more interested in the Edge than the kid clubs (the activities and setting are way more his speed, this is his 2nd cruise and he found the kid clubs way too overrun with little kids in 2018.) Wondering if I need to get him lunch or if he can just go get something from the fast food on deck and how I work the timing of it. We are doing early seating so I think I'd prefer an earlier brunch but not sure - wondering what the earliest and the latest seating is for brunch (of course who knows what will still be available at Gold!) I'm also considering switching to late dinner because my kiddo is older now, we eat earlier at home but it's not like there is nothing to eat between meals. Not looking to open up that can of worms for debate though but it just seems like a later brunch and a later chocolate and wine tasting would be more pleasant with a later dinner!

November 9th seems soooooo far away! I am on the 2nd to last one and I guess you must be on one of the earlier ones, plus platinum. A friend of mine is a first time cruiser and her window just opened up for a merrytime cruise and she is super frustrated at the lack of availability in things.

OP, I'm glad you posted this. We are also platinum, and our SWDAS booking window opens next month. My husband loves Star Wars, and this is our first time sailing with this theme. I told him about your experience to prepare him.

I remember when we did our MDAS cruise two years ago; the meet and greet with Groot sold out pretty quickly, but the NY Heroes M&G was pretty available, even onboard (booked husband a last minute ticket and changed my day to match his).

Last year on our SW cruise, all the character meetings were full on all the days except for on SW day. We were able to book all the meets on the SW day, we did them in the morning b2b. They also had openings in the afternoon. We were just silver when we did it, so those of you who are silver and above should have no problem. I even went back a week after I booked and cancelled then later rebooked the meets. (We aren't really SW fans, Dh sorta is, so I wasn't sure if we really wanted to go to the meets). Was even able to book the Jedi training thing for dd, she enjoyed and I thought it was really nicely done.

I saw the exact same thing for our cruise Jan 4-11. I also am platinum and noticed it immediately as our window opened. Maybe held back for other window openings.

We are on that same cruise but we are first-timers. The wait is killing us to get everything booked!

sorry to keep bugging you with questions ;) But can you tell me what time the brunches are available? I assume they are long seatings. Traveling alone with my kiddo and he is 11 and I am assuming will be MUCH more interested in the Edge than the kid clubs (the activities and setting are way more his speed, this is his 2nd cruise and he found the kid clubs way too overrun with little kids in 2018.) Wondering if I need to get him lunch or if he can just go get something from the fast food on deck and how I work the timing of it. We are doing early seating so I think I'd prefer an earlier brunch but not sure - wondering what the earliest and the latest seating is for brunch (of course who knows what will still be available at Gold!) I'm also considering switching to late dinner because my kiddo is older now, we eat earlier at home but it's not like there is nothing to eat between meals. Not looking to open up that can of worms for debate though but it just seems like a later brunch and a later chocolate and wine tasting would be more pleasant with a later dinner!

November 9th seems soooooo far away! I am on the 2nd to last one and I guess you must be on one of the earlier ones, plus platinum. A friend of mine is a first time cruiser and her window just opened up for a merrytime cruise and she is super frustrated at the lack of availability in things.
Unfortunately, I can’t look at other available times unless I cancel what we have booked first (because you’re only allowed one reservation for each). What I can tell you is we booked the earliest Remy brunch, which was 11:30, and the earliest Palo brunch, which was 10:00.

Last year on our SW cruise, all the character meetings were full on all the days except for on SW day. We were able to book all the meets on the SW day, we did them in the morning b2b. They also had openings in the afternoon. We were just silver when we did it, so those of you who are silver and above should have no problem. I even went back a week after I booked and cancelled then later rebooked the meets. (We aren't really SW fans, Dh sorta is, so I wasn't sure if we really wanted to go to the meets). Was even able to book the Jedi training thing for dd, she enjoyed and I thought it was really nicely done.
I am wondering if they have it ready to go live if they need it but won't release it until the meets on SWDAS are filled up.

I can only imagine booking this cruise just for the star wars events to be told the character meet and greets are sold out and you can't do them... VERY unhappy guests. So they have it ready to go to make sure everyone gets a chance, but they are not going to schedule the character CMs for ALL that time unless there is actual demand. I would not be surprised if the other days go live in smaller blocks than full days based on demand.

I'm glad to hear it was not hard to book things as a silver. I would THINK that unless a big star wars fan who has probably done this already that the standard caribbean itineraries are pretty old hat for most platinum cruisers so while there are SOME, there are not TONS like there are with some of the newer and more interesting itineraries.... but who knows. I'm gold but my first 5 cruises were all prior to 2005 and I did do a 4 day dream in 2018 but we did not prebook anything because I was traveling with my parents who were first time cruisers and they dragged their feet on PIF. Didn't do anything specialty on that short cruise. Now that I have my feet wet AND we are doing the SWDAS, I want to do all the things!

Unfortunately, I can’t look at other available times unless I cancel what we have booked first (because you’re only allowed one reservation for each). What I can tell you is we booked the earliest Remy brunch, which was 11:30, and the earliest Palo brunch, which was 10:00.
oops not sure I realized that, lol.

I'm wondering if a 10am Palo brunch and then a 1:45 wine tasting would be too much in one day, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!