Booking kid with single grandparent to save money

Nickel78

Earning My Ears
Hi, I have two connecting rooms booked for our first cruise next fall of 2023, one for me , husband. 9 year old, and 12 year old , and on for my Mother. I looked more closely at the details II see my Mother’s room even though she is just 1 person will be charged for 2. Would it make sense to have one person from from my room moved to Moms reservation to save money, maybe one the kids? They will probably take turns bunking with her anyway. I’m just trying to figure out why our Dreams agent wouldn’t have suggested this? Or maybe there is some reason why this wouldn’t work? Thanks

That should work. We have connecting rooms with my husband and son in one and me and my mom in the other.

It will may save you a tiny bit of money.
In your room , the child will be removed but they will pay an adult fare fir your mother's room.

Now you mother is already paying for about 2guest (a little less) forher room due to double occupancy.

The one downside to doing it this way is that your mother will be the official adult on record for your kid. There may be different muster stations, and if kid wants to get off the ship with you, but not grandma, then grandma has to sign a paper providing permission.

Hi, I have two connecting rooms booked for our first cruise next fall of 2023, one for me , husband. 9 year old, and 12 year old , and on for my Mother. I looked more closely at the details II see my Mother’s room even though she is just 1 person will be charged for 2. Would it make sense to have one person from from my room moved to Moms reservation to save money, maybe one the kids? They will probably take turns bunking with her anyway. I’m just trying to figure out why our Dreams agent wouldn’t have suggested this? Or maybe there is some reason why this wouldn’t work? Thanks
We do this all the time. We just add one of the kiddies to grandma's room reservation since you have to pay for 2 people anyway. But onboard, we make sure to tell the stateroom attendant to set up a bed for the additional kiddie in our room. Just make sure that the room you book for yourself can accommodate 4 persons - otherwise, you might get a room that has only bedding for 3.

The one downside to doing it this way is that your mother will be the official adult on record for your kid. There may be different muster stations, and if kid wants to get off the ship with you, but not grandma, then grandma has to sign a paper providing permission.
The paperwork for getting off the ship is done during online check in. When I checked in for my husband and son's room, there was a section regarding traveling with children. It asked you to provide consent for them to get off the ship either with just the adult(s) in the room, with any adults in other rooms, or unaccompanied. You check off the names of everyone you want to approve.

Probably not an issue but remember that the gratuity will be charged to the stateroom so if grandma is paying for the charges to her room the one kids gratuity will be added to her bill.

Probably not an issue but remember that the gratuity will be charged to the stateroom so if grandma is paying for the charges to her room the one kids gratuity will be added to her bill.
Aren't gratuities tied to the passenger? So if the parents assume charges for that child, it should go on that card?

I’m surprised your agent didn’t suggest this. We’ve booked directly with DCL and they have suggested this. As others stated, just be sure that your room can sleep 4 and remember to fill out the additional form that you are allowed to take the child off the ship. FYI, I don’t know if the new muster station process will stick, but if it does, that’s not a big deal anyways. You go to the muster station on your own in the few hours after boarding and take a photo of the muster station sign to prove you were there.

Remember to tell your Stewart first thing that the child will stay in the next room. My daughter and I were willing to share a bed just the two of us she’s 23 and they made up the couch for her when it was only the two of us. I gave him $10 and asked him not to make the couch into a bed any longer.

We are doing this for our cruise this weekend. When we first planned it (2019) my dad was going. Unfortunately he passed in 2020 so instead of my mom being in a room by herself, our agent moved my son into her room. I'm sure my daughter will be in there as well, but he's excited to spend time with his grandma!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter