Booked cruise for Hurricane Season

I'v just told my family and they think am crazy going in hurricane season but don't think they no all the facts and how safe dcl keeps everyone

They just said prepare to be very sick

We usually book during hurricane season because it's cheaper, and there is no ragweed at sea. And the Caribbean is like bathwater!

We've had to deal with the tail end of some tropical storms for a few hours, but we're fortunate that we don't get seasick. We thought it was interesting, but some people were seasick. Definitely bring meds if that's a problem for you. But it won't be rough seas for the entire cruise. They try to avoid that.

Then I feel lucky to be booked on one of those rare cruises.
But OP seriously, buy trip insurance, it takes away most of the stress.

It stinks that you were on a cancelled cruise.....but they are rare. Sorry it got cancelled on you. Hope you made it on another cruise!

MJ

I'v just told my family and they think am crazy going in hurricane season but don't think they no all the facts and how safe dcl keeps everyone

They just said prepare to be very sick

FWIW, my husband got horribly seasick on our first cruise (we have since taken better precautions) and it wasn't during hurricane season and the seas weren't really all that rough. I wasn't sick at all. We suspect it was because he has trouble clearing his ears after a flight and it throws him a bit off (he had flown into California from S. Korea 5 days prior and his ears were still feeling a bit "clogged") . In any case, a decongestant and motion sickness meds. helped a lot and he did enjoy the trip, even if he did have to miss dinner one night since he was feeling a bit green still.

FWIW, my husband got horribly seasick on our first cruise (we have since taken better precautions) and it wasn't during hurricane season and the seas weren't really all that rough. I wasn't sick at all. We suspect it was because he has trouble clearing his ears after a flight and it throws him a bit off (he had flown into California from S. Korea 5 days prior and his ears were still feeling a bit "clogged") . In any case, a decongestant and motion sickness meds. helped a lot and he did enjoy the trip, even if he did have to miss dinner one night since he was feeling a bit green still.

Yeah that's true. It doesn't need to be hurricane season to have bad weather

Well we are going for it anyway as we feel that's better than not cursing as all

We are doing the parks first so we will arrive in plenty of time in case flights are delayed etc

Castaway is never a guarantee even NOT during hurricane season. A couple of years ago in Feb one of the Classic girls (I think the Wonder) didn't make it at all, and the Fantasy (which I was on) almost didn't.

Castaway is never a guarantee even NOT during hurricane season. A couple of years ago in Feb one of the Classic girls (I think the Wonder) didn't make it at all, and the Fantasy (which I was on) almost didn't.

Yeah true. I guess if we don't make it, that will be just another reason to come back

Our first Disney cruise was a May cruise with rough seas most of the cruise and we never got to CC due to the currents. The worst cruise for seas was a January cruise on Princess with 15-25 foot seas. You couldn't even sit in the seats in the theater - it literally bounced you out of the seat every minute or so.

We have done 5 during hurricane season and have been lucky. Weather can be hit or miss. Last year it rained almost every day, but the water was relatively calm. One year we were cruising with a hurricane either chasing us or we were right behind it, but the captain had kept us far enough away that it was the best weather and calmest seas we have ever had. The water was flat. The others were a mix but seas were usually 5-10 and the weather was good.

If you are prone to getting sea sick, pack all you need medication wise. And like other have said, get trip insurance. The captains do their best to give you the safest cruise possible.

I guess another way of looking at it, if the sea is really rough

And when we are watching the Halloween films on the big screen, and it it says "u better start believing in ghost stories, your in one"

It will Probley just make it feel more real lol

At least u got to go still. When u going next :)

We just got off he Fantasy. Our itinerary was reversed to avoid hurricane/tropical storm Harvey. We had to really booo it to get to Falmouth so my kids did experience slight motion sickness the first night and day at sea. We had more limited time in the first port and some light rainin cozumel but otherwise weather was fine- slightly overcast most days but waters were warm and in no way did we feel unsafe with Disney. Flying in to Orlando two days before our plane was diverted to Tampa to refuel because Orlando airport was closed temporarily for severe thunderstorm but we made it to Orlando a few hours later. This was our 4th cruise in August and the only one where we had any problems due to weather. Our other cruises were actually later in August.

Look up some old threads on Hurricane Sandy with the Fantasy. Definitely be prepared.

Did a Southern Caribbean on the Magic September 14, 2014. No problem. Had a great cruise. Good luck.

I have used sea bands..They seem to work.
What I had done was acupuncture. I have had no motion sickness since I have had that done. That was in 2012
We were on the Fantasy in Sept-Oct 2015 during hurricane Joaqiun. We missed CC due to the storm. There was rocking of the boat mostly due to the winds. We were late into port due to one engine failed. Trip insurance is a must.
Have a great cruise

I have used sea bands..They seem to work.
What I had done was acupuncture. I have had no motion sickness since I have had that done. That was in 2012
We were on the Fantasy in Sept-Oct 2015 during hurricane Joaqiun. We missed CC due to the storm. There was rocking of the boat mostly due to the winds. We were late into port due to one engine failed. Trip insurance is a must.
Have a great cruise

Well sounds like the ship always goes but if anything just a different port or extra sea day so not to bad

Yeah need to get these sea bands in anyway

Well sounds like the ship always goes but if anything just a different port or extra sea day so not to bad

Yeah need to get these sea bands in anyway

They will do their best to go, but sometimes things happen. Carnival cancelled three cruises and RCCL one (finally) that should have left Galveston the 26th or 27th. They are both hoping they'll be able to get things back on track for this upcoming weekend, but no one knows yet. (I'll be shocked if anything is able to go out of there for a while.)

They will do their best to go, but sometimes things happen. Carnival cancelled three cruises and RCCL one (finally) that should have left Galveston the 26th or 27th. They are both hoping they'll be able to get things back on track for this upcoming weekend, but no one knows yet. (I'll be shocked if anything is able to go out of there for a while.)

I think dcl has only have like one cruise cancelled in so many years. Not sure how many

So hopefully my luck won't be that bad for me to not go lol

Both of our cruises have been in hurricane season.

Cruise #1 was a western Caribbean in October 2013. The seas were like glass the entire cruise and not one drop of rain fell on us. Perfect weather.

Cruise #2 was an eastern Caribbean in October 2015. The first half of the cruise was sunny and smooth sailing. As we left St. Thomas they announced we would be skipping Castaway Cay due to hurricane Joaquin. That first sea day was fine but the seas got rougher as the day wore on. The next 36 hours were quite rough as we skirted the hurricane along the Cuban coast. On a positive note we found we do not get seasick.

We enjoyed both cruises and we would not hesitate to book in hurricane season again. We always buy trip insurance.

Martin

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter