Book recommendations for a history buff?

CentralPAPete

Earning My Ears
Hey all,
I’m really intrigued by the history around Walt/the parks/imagineering, etc. all of it really. I’m a huge history buff in general so I enjoy really digging deep into things. There are a lot of books out there, so anyone have any recommendations on where I should start?
Thanks,
Central PA Pete

I haven't read all the Disney books but I try to buy one each time I visit. This one I bought at the Writers Stop in DHS before it closed. It's probably my favourite.
"The Disney Mountains: Imagineering at Its Peak"
April 2022, if we are very lucky, I am hoping to realize a lifelong dream and ride the Matterhorn at DL. My favourite mountain so far is "Splash" at MK.

Attachments

• Disney Mountains.jpeg
    Disney Mountains.jpeg
    18.3 KB · Views: 1
Dream it! Do it! by Marty Sklar. It's not necessarily a history book but more of an autobiography / biography of Walt and others. He gives his account of Disney from the beginning of the parks, as he was hired a month before Disneyland opened and quickly filled key roles at Disney for many decades until his retirement just a few years ago. I really enjoyed his perspective and tales of the early years.

This recommendation has absolutely NOTHING to do with Disney whatsoever.

I highly recommend books by Harry Turtledove. He's a master of alternate history and puts a wonderful spin on how history might have unfolded had things gone differently. (What if the South had won the Civil War? What if the Allies had lost WWII? etc)

Specifically on Walt himself, I would recommend starting with Walt Disney: An American Original by Bob Thomas. It does a great job of taking you through his entire life.

Specifically on Walt himself, I would recommend starting with Walt Disney: An American Original by Bob Thomas. It does a great job of taking you through his entire life.
I own Thomas' book, specifically the 1994 reprint that was sold at Disney gift shops (I got mine from Hollywood Studios). Combined with Neal Gabler's book, these represent the best look at Walt and his accomplishments.

Before he died, Thomas did a biography of Walt's brother Roy, which was released in 1998. It too is amazing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter