• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

book outside home resort

chimommy

Mouseketeer
Just curious how hard it is to book a dvc that is not your home resort? My parents currently own in Marriotts vacation club. I know many resorts are hard to get into with Marriott if you don't book right away. Im wondering how difficult it is to get a reservation during peak times like spring break or how difficult it is to book a location other than your home resort?

Thanks

There are a number of factors involved. Which resort, what size room, time of year, flexibility, etc. Also know that DVC busy season does not line up with regular Disney busy season. Studios are often difficult especially during fall through January.

Some categories of room and time are pretty easy to get, even at 1-2 months before you want to go, like Polynesian Bungalows and Copper Creek Cabins during February. Others are virtually impossible unless you book the first day of the 11 month window, like Animal Kingdom Value and Concierge rooms and studios at Copper Creek during the beginning of December. In general, availability is tough from September to mid-January, any run Disney weekend, Easter break, and around the 4th of July for studios everywhere. It's better for 1 bedrooms, but still not great.

Booking your home resort at the 11 month window in usually not a problem. But, for peak times like springs break , Christmas, New Years, Food and Wine festival, MLK day, Presidents day it is always smart to be online and ready to book ASAP at 8 am EST when the booking window opens. I will also add that the fall tends to be popular with DVC members and I guess it is b/c of Food and Wine festival and the Mickey Halloween party. I always suggest that people book their homes resort at 11 months (or as soon as they know they need it) and then try to switch to something different at 7 months. I would not wait till the 7 month mark to book. Studios tend to book up first. We have owned for 11 years and we have stayed in lots of resorts other than our home. However, in the past few years availability at 7 months is less than it had been in the past. Not impossible but not a piece of cake :)

It all depends on your flexibility both in time and points. if you have the ability to go on vacation when you find availability then you can try all the resorts. if you have a lot of points you can go up to a larger unit to increase likelihood of getting lucky. I had to spend more points than I wanted to at Aulani in June because even before the 7 month window all the two bedroom units and the grand villas were booked. I booked what was left 1 bedroom units and got two . If I didn't have a lot of points I would have had to make other arrangements. I tried to rent point before 7 months but none were available at Aulani. I would have rented out my BWV POINTS and paid difference. You can do a lot of different things to be successful but it takes a lot more work than it used to.

That is why you want to own a DVC resort that you won't mind staying at (you'll book it a 11 months out) if you can't change your reservation at seven months out when all points are equal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter