Bonnet Creek

Wow. Take a few deep breaths - I apologize for offending you. :blush: I was speaking more to the larger number of people who seem to have a "personal stake" in this than to any one individual. :angel:

Firkat asked about transportation at this resort (which offers its own free shuttle service to the Disney parks). Your response, "You'll know it when you find out you that you don't get Disney transportation...," was... helpful? :rolleyes1 Firkat didn't even ask about Disney transportation.

People who think they can walk to EPCOT, or some other Disney location, in order to take Disney transportation should be warned.
Warned? Lots of people who post on these forums think that one can walk from any resort or hotel (Disney, Holiday Inn, Hilton, etc.) in the immediate WDW region to the theme parks or even between all of the theme parks... like they can at Disneyland in California. Some may think that since it's possible to walk from the nearest Hilton to DD, that maybe it's possible from other nearby resorts too... like Bonnet Creek, Silver Lake, Vistana, etc. A simple, "no, it's not walkable," would do... without a landmine "warning" response. JMHO.

Just don't say anthing that implies there is any official WDW benefits guest get.
Well, I haven't seen that at all on this thread. :faint:

So... ;) :rolleyes: ...feel better??? :duck:

My, My as the OP, I guess I didn't realize what a simple question could lead to.

No offense to anyone but I agree with one of the original post from Lisa P. There are way to many people on these boards who will high jack a thread. I know this because I had posted a similar question prior to going to Bonnett Creek in Feb. (very nice resort by the way) and the thread was highjacked with the "not on disney property" mafia.

I understand and would appreciate who is correcting a something that could lead to mistakes of a serious nature but somtimes it seems as if people are posting merely to make it seem as if their an expert and to get their # of posts to go up.

This is a great forum as you can pick up a lot of useful information. But as everywhere else, some people are always pushing an agenda. Unless you live in manhattan and never driven a car, I cant see why anyone would stand on a corner and get packed into a bus and consider it it a part of the "disney experience".

I've read several threads about Bonnet Creek, curious about the resort. I agree with Lisa P that very quickly folks will add in that the property isn't Disney. I'm always amused about the stridency that seems to come through with those posts. Thanks to all who posted about both the advantages and disadvantages of this resort.

The folks I know who have stayed at BC think very highly of it. Very convenient if you have a car, and nice accomodations and grounds, though still a bit rough around the edges due to continued construction when they went. They would absolutely stay there again.

For the OP: my advice would be that if you aren't willing to drive yourself, you'll be happiest staying in a Disney-owned property or the Swan/Dolphin, and you'd be reasonably happy staying in a DTD hotel or SoG (if you are eligible). I'm not aware of any other property with transportation that is even remotely as convenient.

As for the broader issue: I get the sense that many folks on *both sides* of the onsite vs. offsite question are more interested in getting people to agree with them (and, perhaps, validating their own choice along the way) than giving people what they need to make an informed decision.

The decision of where to stay is based on what you value for your own family---what one person values highly might not matter at all to someone else. For example, I can understand why folks really like the Disney transportation, but I find that even when I stay onsite, I prefer to have a rental car. Likewise, I can understand why many folks would find the lack of maid service in a pool home bothersome, or find it difficult to trust that some random person in the UK still owns the home you think you've rented.

On the other hand, many people find the combined Disney perks (ME, DDP, EMH among them) more than worth the added expense of a Disney resort. What's more, if what you really need is a room with a couple of beds and a shower for crashing in between full days in the parks, it's hard to argue that you should ever look beyond the Value properties at WDW. We want more than a single hotel room, though, because that's what works best for our family.

And, really, I'm glad that more people don't agree with me, because it keeps my preferred vacation option even more affordable!

I've had many enjoyable Disney trips. Some offsite and some onsite. I even had a great trip the time I stayed at a flea bag motel.

BCR is an offsite property. That statement is geographically correct. Like every other offsite property it offers none of the perks of staying onsite.

I agree that those perks aren't important to many guests BUT the minute posters say the resort is on property, surrounded by property or you have to drive through Disney gates to get to the property readers get the wrong impression.

I'm sure the resort is fine BUT unlike WDW resorts guests at BCR should consider a car.

BTW I never post when posters ask about staying offsite. I think properties like BCR, Vistana, Orange Lake etc offer great values for famlies. I post when posters imply that BCR share more with Disney than they do with other offsite properties.

Brian Noble said:
As for the broader issue: I get the sense that many folks on *both sides* of the onsite vs. offsite question are more interested in getting people to agree with them (and, perhaps, validating their own choice along the way) than giving people what they need to make an informed decision.

Thanks for all the info. Even through the arguing, I have gotten some great info that is helping to make our decisions. I keep hearing that if we stay at BWV we can walk to Epcot, rather than take the ferry. I don't know if they are talking about athletes or regular old fat people with three kids. :cool1: Ya know?

My folks are pushing the BCR option since they own timeshare, but our ds1 will demand a daily nap and I don't want to break up the day for dd15 or ds9 at the parks. We will have a car though, but I'm not convinced it is so easy to get to the car in the massive lots (while toting an infant by oneself) and then have to come back to the park and catch up with the rest of the crew. I know many of you have had to make this decision and it is debated regularly on these boards, but your insight is immensely useful - regardless of your side of the debate! :sunny:

TotoToo said:
The distortion is the continued statements that Bonnet Creek isn't the being at Disney experience. In reality 95% of it is the same Disney (the parks and grounds don't know where you are staying) and better for less money. so.

While I am sure Bonnet Creek is a lovely resort, and works well for many, many families, the above statement is misleading.

The parks & grounds DO know where you're staying if you try to use EMH. There is no Disney transportation to/from Bonnet Creek...as a previous poster said, you must schedule your bus usage in advance. There is no onsite room charging privileges, no complimetary resort delivery for park purchases, no free parking at the theme parks by virtue of you staying there. If true "Disney" amenities are important to an individual, this is not the resort for them. If, on the other hand, they are used to, and enjoy off site locations, Bonnet Creek would be very convenient for them.

I have stayed off site and onsite, but the Disney amenities ARE important to me, not having to lug purchases around the theme park is a big plus for me, as is Disney transportation, even though we always have a car.

The walk is less than a mile. If you're tired and it's hot wait for the boat but "regular old fat people with three kids" walk it all the time.

A disney bus from MK will be quicker than taking the monorail/ferry to the TTC then a parking lot tram to your rental car. For most Disney resorts I'd say a rental car to BCR won't be a problem for an afternoon break BUT BWV is very convenient to EPCOT AND MGM.

Your folks own at Fairfield? You can basically stay for free? Unless you have unlimited funds I'd probably stay at BCR, I've never stayed there but everything I've read indicates it's a nice place. Figure out how much more BWV will cost. Add the cost of a rental car and parking the cost of BCR and decide if the Disney amenities are worth it.

On a previous thread a BCR proponent went so far as to claim they got EMH as a guest of BCR.

BCR is a nice resort but it's not on property. BCR guests don't get any on property amenities.

firkat said:
Thanks for all the info. Even through the arguing, I have gotten some great info that is helping to make our decisions. I keep hearing that if we stay at BWV we can walk to Epcot, rather than take the ferry. I don't know if they are talking about athletes or regular old fat people with three kids. :cool1: Ya know?

My folks are pushing the BCR option since they own timeshare, but our ds1 will demand a daily nap and I don't want to break up the day for dd15 or ds9 at the parks. We will have a car though, but I'm not convinced it is so easy to get to the car in the massive lots (while toting an infant by oneself) and then have to come back to the park and catch up with the rest of the crew. I know many of you have had to make this decision and it is debated regularly on these boards, but your insight is immensely useful - regardless of your side of the debate! :sunny:

It is true that Bonnet Creek does not get any single amenity that is available to the Disney resorts. So if that is important to a poster please make sure that any of the amenities you are looking for aren't exclusive to those staying on property. However I think some poster are asking about the location of Bonnet Creek logistically to the other resorts in the world. While the location of Bonnet Creek is not on Disney owned property of any shape or form and does not offer ANY disney perks if you are asking exclusively about the location of the resort, the distance and location to the "action" so to speak is comparable to a Disney resort. Not walking distance, Disney discourages walking, for the guests own safety, unless it is a specified walkway like Beach Club, Boardwalk, or Contemporary. Even guest staying at AKL are dicouraged from walking to AK even though it's very close, again for the guests own safety.

So in a nutshell;

Bonnet Creek -

No single Disney amenity or perk offered to those staying on Disney property.

Disney transporation is not available from or to the resort. Car Recommended for convenience.

However, the location of the resort, although not on Disney owned property, is comparable to some disney resorts, closer to some parks than a few disney resorts, and better than some downtown disney resorts.

Bonnet Creek = no Disney perks, not Disney owned, just great location.

We have stayed at the Doubletree Guest Suites. I wouldn't choose to stay there again. But if it meant I couldn't go to WDW, I'd stay there.

Bonnet Creek probably is a great resort. I'd stay there if it meant going to WDW or not. Just my choice at this point. But you never know.

To the person who posted the link to the pictures, THANK YOU! I've always wanted to see what the resort looked like. Gorgeous! EMH or not.
Can you rent these units for one or two nights, or does it have to be weekly? If they allow one or two night rentals this would be a good option for someone like me with DVC points, who is not willing to shell out alot of point for a Friday or Saturday night stay. :goodvibes

zalansky said:
To the person who posted the link to the pictures, THANK YOU! I've always wanted to see what the resort looked like. Gorgeous! EMH or not.
Can you rent these units for one or two nights, or does it have to be weekly? If they allow one or two night rentals this would be a good option for someone like me with DVC points, who is not willing to shell out alot of point for a Friday or Saturday night stay. :goodvibes

I don't know for sure. But, I think I read a post not too long ago from another DVC'er who rented a Friday and Saturday night from a Fairfield owner to stay at Bonnet Creek before they switched over to a DVC points stay Sunday through Thursday. If you were moving to BWV on Sunday, it would definitely be a pretty quick drive down the road. ;)

Firkat, on one of our stays at BWV, we had another family with us and the husband was a large man who tired easily from walking longer distances. He was fine pacing through the mornings but getting back to the villa in the afternoons (walk/boat from Epcot & DStudios) wore him out completely. He much preferred driving his car (parked by the room) from OKW. The other 3 of us, adults, and 5 school-aged kids are just average people (not athletic) and we were okay with the midday break/walk, noting that Epcot requires a lot more walking than the other parks anyway. We were tired but it was fine. If you are going during a hot season and walking a few miles in a day is a lot for you, adding the extra walk around Crescent Lake from/to BWV may not really appeal so much to you. If you're staying at BWI or the Beach Club, it's a little closer. If your room is at the farthest end of BWV, it's a longer stretch.

BTW, if your folks own timeshare points with Fairfield, and they plan well in advance, they would have the option of Bonnet Creek. If they hoped to trade in through RCI, it's a real longshot. Bonnet Creek is heavily booked by Fairfield points owners.

With a year old baby, I'd consider an onsite monorail hotel or any location where you can park your car right outside your room.

Larger centralized hotel buildings like BW/YC&BC/AKL/WL/Swan/Dolphin and even the layout at AS/POP/POR/FWC may require you to walk some distance across the buildings/grounds to reach your car or the bus/boat waiting areas from your room. When considering convenience, note that buses do require you to take children out onto your lap, with strollers folded up during the ride. Not necessary on the monorail. Can't remember with the boats. So the disruption to a sleeping baby is still there with the bus as it is with a car/tram.

Smaller hotel buildings (even when there are several) and/or spread-out condo-style resorts may enable you to park very near your room. For onsite, consider OKW/SSR/POFQ or, offsite using a car, Bonnet Creek/Vistana Resort/Silver Lake/Cypress Pointe, etc. These are all very convenient for using your car to all of the parks except MK. With the 15 & 9 year olds, you may not be at MK any more than the other parks.

Locating your family when returning to the park after a break is just as hard/easy when staying offsite as onsite. It can actually be harder to predict when you'll get back if you are guessing how long you'll be waiting for your return bus to pick you up. With a car, you'll have a good idea of your travel time both ways, after you've done it once or twice. Cell phones help a lot when trying to get together or change/update plans.

Zalansky/Loretta, the Bonnet Creek Resort condos may be rented nightly from an owner with a minimum of 2 nights. Fri/Sat nights cost more (points) than weeknights. The seasons are not the same as DVC so your dates could work in your favor or against you. So you'd have to check the actual dates to see if this is worthwhile to you or not.

I'm not sure what Fairfield charges to rent nightly stays directly or if they even do this or not. Here's the Fairfield website so you can locate the resort and call it, or call/email the company. Points reservations are all made through their central Owner Services so I would guess rentals could be handled that way too. Renting from an owner would be cheaper. HTH.

Thanks for all the great info!!! We are excited about the F&W festival at Epcot, thus the thought of staying at BWI rather than a monorail resort. We are going during free dining, yippee . . . so we have to add that into the equation. DM and DF say the cost difference in staying at BCR outweighs the Disney perks, but when you add in the DDP . . .???? I know that if I had to pay for all of those meals, I would not do it. So, it changes the experience. Also, I have a family of 5. So, even eating conservatively at the parks will cost me a bundle without the free dining. I guess I just don't want to end up being the one to have to tote the infant back every day for his nap and then end up cooking at the time share for the whole crew. That does not sound like a vacation to me!

All good and useful info about Bonnet Creek.

Got a 2 br for 3 nights in mid August. Have stayed in and enjoyed both Fairfield Star Island and Cypress Palms so I know will enjoy Bonnet Creek. Plus location is even nicer.

We also have 3 nights at the Disney Beach Club.

Looking equally forward to both resorts

Thanks

Gerry

I own at BWV and love it.
I've toured Bonnet Creek and see it as a lovely option because the units are bigger and more lux-ly appointed. Since Bonnet Creek is also on points, and since the weekend point cost is also more, although you can get 1 or 2 night stays there, the savings isn't all that great (tho the weedend point usage isn't as high as DVC).

With only 2 buildings open, it is hard to get ressies, tho I have seen rentals on TugII. Compared with all other non DVC timeshares, I'd stay here first in a heart beat. STaying here or at a DVC resort.....it just depends really on whether I want more room or perhaps a beautiful (sigh) boardwalk view!!!

As for the car/walk/surrounded by controversy.....I always get a car for my BWV stays, so I can't imagine I would depend on a bus shuttle if I stayed at Bonnet Creek. Also, out of all the amenities of onsite Disney, I can't believe you'all forgot MAGICAL EXPRESS! Tho I don't use it, most users swear by it.

Hi everybody! This is going to be my very first visit to Disney, Orlando, or Bonnet Creek in March of 2007. We are going to be there March 11-March 18. All of you have given some great advise on the resort. I think that Disney property would be great and I do now know that I will need to rent a car because of this thread. But, I am a Fairfield Owner and must say that Fairfield prides itself on excellent service and excellent rooms. I dont know what Disney offers but for the price, I think Fairfield offers a lot. Think how much one saves with a full kitchen vs hotel room. We went to Branson, MO at Fairfield Mount Vista and I only spent $400 the whole trip. Now I know that Branson and Orlando is lightyears away from costs (Disney tickets, airline, rental cars, food, etc.) But buying food and fixing up dinner vs spending hundreds just makes more sense to me. What do you all think? Thanks again for all your input.

Mr. Mike

Also, where is a great place to buy groceries around Bonnet Creek? We will be majorly depending on them during this trip in March.

Mr. Mike

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter