• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bonnet Creek Resort

TotoToo said:
OK - here's the secret to FF. You look at the best resorts they have such as BC BUT, very important, you NEVER buy from them. Ever. In the Fairshare system, which is what the FF points system is called, a point is a point. You can use what you own at any FF resort - you do not have to be an owner at that specific resort. The only advantage to ownership at a specific FF resort is a longer annual period to make your reservation requests- 13 months vs 10 months ahead for non-owners. That has never been a problem for us and we have been in every new FF resort in the accomodations we desired making reservations 8-10 months ahead using our "old" FF points. On resale you can buy FF points at $.02-.05 per point depending on the home resort vs $.10 to $.15 from FF direct. They will try to tell you, much like the DVC owners / sales people do for DVC, that there is a difference and thus the extra cost is worth it. Don't buy it. The important thing is having enough points to travel within the FF system as you want to and with a reasonable annual fee structure. We found that 250,000 to 500,000 annual points is plenty to do what we want. We actually own 254,000 with an annual fee of about $900 which gets us 2-5 weeks at FF resorts depending on how big a unit and time of year we decide to use. It has been the best bargain and best system we have found. In ten years the resorts and the trips just keep getting better. But never, never, buy at retail until the price spread between resale points and retail points is narrow. That may or may not ever happen. For now FF points at resale pricing are a tremendous bargain.

WOW! I did not think the difference would be that huge between original sale and resale - that is wild! Thank you very much!

Cheers
jaysue

spiceycat said:
what AAA did you use????

Alabama AAA does not have them.
We went to the Orlando AAA office (actually headquarters) to get ours.

TotoToo said:
They will try to tell you, much like the DVC owners / sales people do for DVC, that there is a difference and thus the extra cost is worth it.
Can't speak for Fairfield, but I've never heard that about DVC. :smokin:

MG

spiceycat said:
darn it - they say it was only with the WDW hotels...

where else do you see these thing?

My guess, with no evidence to back it up, is that the poster may be referring to the old E-Nights. I know you were supposed to be a WDW guest but it's possible Disney allocated a certain number of tickets to other venues.

Lewisc said:
To be accurate BC is not in the middle of Disney property. It is adjacent to Disney property. Silver Lake is close to AK and Orange Lake isn't very far either.

??? Lewis, have you ever been to BC? After passing under the "Welcome to the Happiest Place on Earth" sign one takes the second exit (MGM). After curving down the ramp and merging onto the road below the BC entrance is the first left. If one continues on down the road approximately one quarter mile, the Caribbean Beach resort is the next left, then Pop Century and then MGM.

Once on property at BC, the Epcot geosphere is visible straight in front of me and CBR is visible directly to the left of me. In order to get to OKW, POR and POFQ I have to go right when I exit BC and then go left. I can't see Pop Century, but it also forms part of the borders of BC (eventually the part that borders Pop will be part of BC's golf course)...in other words, BC is completely surrounded by Disney property. I have heard BC referred to as "the hole in the Disney donut".

I have stayed at Silver Creek. It is very close, probably adjacent to Disney property on the far west side. Silver Creek is not surrounded by Disney property, and other than AK is not very close to the other Disney parks. (BC is a relative heartbeat from MGM, DTD, TL and Epcot.) Orange Lake is even farther west of Disney, past Silver Lake. (Actually, at one time we almost bought a resale week at Orange Lake [lovely lake/property/amenities] because of the good quality of construction/price)...but after comparing it to spending the same amount with Fairfield with our Platinum membership discount in place, didn't.

I'm trying to provide information of which I have first hand knowledge. All of you who keep saying BC isn't encompassed by Disney property are wrong...it is.

BC and the entire area slated for the golf course, hotels, condominiums etc. was bought...and is owned by...Fairfield (which owns Bonnet Creek Development). Fairfield in turn, is owned and backed by Cendant (parent company which also owns many other companies, Avis, Century 21, Coldwell Banker, cheaptickets.com, etc.) At one time they were buying Carnival cruise lines, but I'm not sure they ever did. I only report things I know to be true because I am a Fairfield owner and use the majority of my points at this time to stay for months either close to (Star Island, Cypress Palms) or inside of (Bonnet Creek) Disney property.

I'm a Disney lover. I thoroughly enjoy the Food & Wine Festival. I had a ball at last year's MouseFest. I think Christmas Around the World is fabulous. I love being able to spend four months doing this and only spend $40-$60 night for luxurious 2BR accomodations complete with full kitchen, jacuzzi and washer/dryer. I invite all my friends and family to join me and see many of them during this time. I love to visit and share Disney.

This works well for our family. This may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it is ours. If/when I want, I can trade into Disney...or buy DVC points if I choose to pay more for a certain location/time at a Disney resort. I like the flexibility of Fairfield, including its Disney options through RCI, as well as DVC options available right here on the Disboards.

Every map I've looked at shows I-4 as being directly adjacent to one side of BC. I certainly agree you have to drive through part of WDW in order to get to BC but to say it is surrounded by WDW isn't geographically accurate.

The issue isn't just the inaccuracy of the statement but also what's implied. BC has no extra advanatage by virtue of it's closeness to WDW. I'll agree it's a shorter drive from BC to parts of WDW than from many of the other offsite timeshare resorts.

To be fair I'm sure BC is a very nice timeshare resort. It's new, I suspect it may be one of the nicer timeshare resorts. I'll even agree it's closer to "the action" than other properties that are adjacent to Disney property. I'll even agree that many guests prefer the amenities for the money that an offsite timeshare property provide. Guests can generally purchase a decent offsite timeshare for less than half the price of DVC.

My issue is with the the timeshare salespeope and some posters who start by saying the complex is on Disney property (not true) and then imply, or in some cases outright lie, by saying the guests at BC are treated like onsite guests. One poster said the Fairfield salesmen went so far as to say Disney was going to build a monorail station at BC. You can't walk to any WDW destination from BC, you basically need a rental car to go to Disney, you don't get EMH (despite the claims of a poster), you don't get to use DME and so on.

I'm not saying that those amenities are important to everyone just it's not right to say or imply that any of those amenities are available to BC guests.

Ozymoe said:
I'm trying to provide information of which I have first hand knowledge. All of you who keep saying BC isn't encompassed by Disney property are wrong...it is.

Ozymoe said:
Your first hand knowledge is inaccurate. :)

Epcot may be visible from the entrance, and yes, you must enter through Disney property, but the Fairfield property is on the edge of the property.

Please look at my earlier post, which has a link to a good map of the area.

The doughnut hole thing was likely started by a Fairfield salesman, after they were confronted about it not being on Disney property. It's simply not true.

PS- Happiest Place On Earth? Isn't that the nickname for Disneyland in California?

MG

Maistre Gracey said:
Your first hand knowledge is inaccurate. :)

Epcot may be visible from the entrance, and yes, you must enter through Disney property, but the Fairfield property is on the edge of the property.

Please look at my earlier post, which has a link to a good map of the area.

The doughnut hole thing was likely started by a Fairfield salesman, after they were confronted about it not being on Disney property. It's simply not true.

PS- Happiest Place On Earth? Isn't that the nickname for Disneyland in California?

MG

I've tried to look at that map twice and my computer won't let me! Lol...I so need a new one, but we have to get laptops for the girls this fall and I'm not springing for three in the same year!

Sigh...if BC is on the edge of Disney property why are we using Disney power and Disney cable? Why wouldn't we be using state/county power? I'm telling you, maybe it looks that way from the air, but on the ground it is for all intents and purposes "in the middle of the magic" as much as CBR, OKW, POR and POFQ. I soooo want to see that map!

Anyway this is all moot...evidently you have it in for salesmen who misrepresent FF property as being "on property"...lol...I am not a salesman and I have never said BC is "on property"...it's more like being "in property" because of its location. Visit it, Maistre Gracey, you'll see what I mean.

...and you're right, "The Happiest Place on Earth" sign is the DisneyLand sign...I should have said, "The Happiest Celebration on Earth" sign, which is the WDW sign. Splitting hairs, Maistre...splitting hairs...lol

ozymoe, you said

If/when I want, I can trade into Disney

can you trade into DVC using Fairfield points?

lawgs said:
ozymoe, you said

If/when I want, I can trade into Disney

can you trade into DVC using Fairfield points?

I thought we could, but when I got out the RCI book I can't find it in there. My DH thinks that was when we had II as well as RCI through a special promotion at one time. Drat...I know I saw it somewhere!

Actually, I think buying the DVC points right here on the boards is the most inexpensive way of staying onsite with Disney, especially in Value Season...that, or camping at FW...or in an RV as long as you own one anyway.

Hmmm...now I'm not going to rest until I find out where the heck it was I saw a Disney trade offered to me. I remember it was in some book...because I was so surprised to see it offered.

Sigh...I am turning into my mother.

spiceycat said:
I don't care how many great places or easy to access points (of course some on the tug would disagreed with easy to access points). they were complaining about not being able to access their points except during working hours. and not being able to use RCI directly.
Fairfield has Owners Services business hours, day-and-evening, 7 days per week, except for a few major holidays. Perhaps someone complained when Fairfield was doing a major computer upgrade and they were closed for a week. That's not a yearly event. And I use my Fairfield points to deposit fixed weeks into RCI and access it directly online. Not all owners know how to fully use their timeshares.

Lisa what happened to the other stuff that was begining built on that site???? ... I didn't think the land beyonded to Fairfield so I though it was leased property as well.
Actually, Fairfield only purchased the portion where they're building the timeshares. The purchase deal included an option to buy an additional parcel (to expand the timeshare resort) and they have exercised that option. Timeshare owners at BC own a true deed, NOT RTU nor leasehold. For a very brief period (2 weeks?) not long ago, Fairfield tried to switch back to RTU and it failed miserably so they are back to deeded only. AFAIK, the rest of the land there is still owned by Bonnet Creek Development. Rumors abound that Cendant will buy/lease a plot and put up a new luxury Wyndham hotel - but so far, that's still just rumor. The plans for the other 3 hotels and the golf course... who knows???

I didn't know you brought DVC - I though you decided not to because you couldn't get a fair price on your Fairfield.
In 1998, I was a part time Disney Store CM and we bought 150 DVC points at discount. We quickly realized that 150 points were a drop in the bucket for a family of 5. That year we also bought 2 resales - a Marriott week on Hilton Head and 154,000 Fairfield points - and a year later, 2 more - South Africa weeks. We spent more on the DVC points than on all the others combined. All have since been sold except our favorite - the Fairfield points! It's been the best value for us. We did not lose money on any of them. Resale is the way to go!!! :)

lawgs said:
ozymoe, you said If/when I want, I can trade into Disney ... can you trade into DVC using Fairfield points?
Yes, IF the first Fairfield points you buy are at one of the few Fairfield resorts that trade through II. There are advantages and disadvantages to this. For us, RCI is much better. FWIW, trading into DVC is NOT a good reason to buy any other timeshare - DVC is much too limited through II.

IMHO, you should only buy at a resort or within a system where you actually want to enjoy your vacations. And you should investigate resales before purchasing to see whether they are a better deal and what benefits a developer purchase affords. With Fairfield, it's usually better to go with a resale.

Lisa P,

is there an easy way to find which Fairfield are II and which are RCI - are some both????

I have looked at buying fairfield - but I really hated their sales approach.

Once you are an owner do they leave you alone???? or does it get worst? - it definitely gets worst at Westgate.

I happen to love my South Africia - so why do you sell yours?

Yes, DVC can be very expensive for a family of 5 - but then the WDW resorts themselves are really, really expensive for a family of 5 or more.

I generally stay in studios with my DVC points. Which you can't do.

Ozymoe said:
I thought we could, but when I got out the RCI book I can't find it in there. My DH thinks that was when we had II as well as RCI through a special promotion at one time. Drat...I know I saw it somewhere!

Actually, I think buying the DVC points right here on the boards is the most inexpensive way of staying onsite with Disney, especially in Value Season...that, or camping at FW...or in an RV as long as you own one anyway.

Hmmm...now I'm not going to rest until I find out where the heck it was I saw a Disney trade offered to me. I remember it was in some book...because I was so surprised to see it offered.

Sigh...I am turning into my mother.

I think you are referring to the II book. I trade into DVC with my II resorts.

spiceycat said:
Lisa P,

is there an easy way to find which Fairfield are II and which are RCI - are some both????

The Fairfield resorts listed in II are the following:

Newport at Bay Voyage Inn (also in RCI)
Jamestown, RI

Newport at Inn On The Harbor (also in RCI)
Newport, RI

Royal Vista
Pompano Beach, FL

Star Island Resort
Kissimmee, FL

Williamsburg at Governor's Green
Williamsburg, VA

RCI has 56 Fairfield resorts.

Spicey,

I own FF points that trade with II and neither resort I own is an II resort. Because of a lawsuit between II, FF and RCI, FF cannot change anyone's trading company affiliation. I originally had Star Island and traded that contract into Bonnet Creek, so my Bonnet Creek trades with II.

I have asked different salesmen what if I sold my Bonnet Creek points to someone else would these points revert back to RCI traded points or would they stay II traded points. The responses were about 50/50.

I don't have a clear answer to this, but would be interested to know if anyone does. I just offer it up as a be careful if you buy FF to trade within a specific exchange company.

TotoToo said:
But you cannot get to it except from the seemingly hallowed Disney property and I challenge anyone to explain the difference in the dirt on either side of the boundry. That is what I meant by irritated. Why make a big deal about a property as on site as any Disney owned property with brand new, large rooms, its own on site amenities as well as the same access to all the Disney areas as any other on site accomodations. When we were there we even had access to the extra park hours although I'm not sure that is always the case. The Disney believers somehow want it to be something less when in fact it is more and certainly a better value than paying to use Disney dirt. To the original poster: don't let the negativity from some stop you from enjoying a great resort and Disney experience. Why they even care is beyond my comprehension. We do not own at BC but we certainly did enjoy the stay and look forward to hopefully getting it again. We found the unit accomodations superior to Disneys while all the rest was the same. The best combination in our view. Take a look at those pictures - isn't that Epcot right there? Notice the space and the quality. Far more than Disney gives you yet still within the grounds. Enjoy.

Why do I think you are getting paid by Fairfield? I did a Fairfield timeshare presentation once and let's just say NEVER AGAIN.. I have never been lied to so much in my life. (I happened to know a LOT about this resort having friends who owned it and were desperatly trying to get rid of the loser.. I was told it would APPRECIATE YEAH RIGHT and the if I bought resale that "you are probably buying an inferior product" WHAT???) I have done DVC and Marriott timeshare presentations. Class acts both.

Carol - I agree that both Marriott & DVC are very low pressure and mostly truthful timeshare presentations. If I have a disappointment with FF it is the tactics they use in what can be very high pressure sales. Why they feel that is necessary I don't know. At least in part due to that buying FF at resale pricing - the big spread I mentioned in an earlier post - makes FF a great bargain. Someday they will realize what a mistake it is and maybe then the resale and retail costs will be closer. Until then ignore the retail sales and, if you want in on FF, buy resale.

And I only say "mostly" about DVC & Marriott as they also plant the seed of "investment" either by increasing resale prices (M) or the ROFR "we buy it back" (DVC) which are in no way guaranteed. If you ignore those questionable items the rest was very above board and miles ahead of most other presentations. Easily the best of the sordid bunch known as timeshare sales. No, I'm not a FF shill just a very satisfied owner of over 12 years who at first thought he had made a BIG mistake buying into FF Points. Once I learned how it worked (thanks to a great deal of time spent by a very understanding FF agent who made the effort to get it straight in my head) and saw the ever improving resorts we've been happy owners of our old points, traveling to great new resorts all over the USA for low annual fees.

spiceycat said:
Once you are an owner do they leave you alone????
Like every other resort out there in active sales, they will offer a gift at check-in (or the next day) in exchange for a "brief update" on the FF system. Fortunately for us, whenever we've gone to a sales "update," it really has been only 30-45 min. of low pressure sales. And whenever we've said a clear, "No thanks" to the meeting, they haven't asked again during our stay. So I'd say, as an owner, it's much, much better than those 2-hour, full-blown sales pitches.

I happen to love my South Africia - so why do you sell yours?
We needed the money and needed to sell off whatever wasn't working best. We've found that a cheap FF deposit has equivalent trade power to an SA week plus the internal trading power boost when trading back into another FF via RCI. The costs of these are comparable but FF points are more flexible and located within the U.S. It made more sense to keep the FF. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter