Bonine/Sea Bands

cinbis

Mouseketeer
Has anyone taken Bonine and worn Sea Bands at the same time? Is it necessary to do both or will the combination have an adverse effect?

I am very prone to motion sickness and all I use is Bonine. The seabands work good too but you don't need both. The seabands have no medicine in them, it is just something to do with your pressure point on your wrists. I didn't like the tightness of the seabands and I needed something all the time. One Bonine each morning and I was fine. I just took it for 2 weeks after as the doctor suggested to be able to get my land legs back quicker. I had vertigo each time I cruised but using the bonine after coming home helped better.

I knew I'd have trouble with seasickness, so I was prepared with Bonine. I took it several hours before boarding. It did not help me as far as I can tell. Maybe it did, afterall I didn't throw up. We had real mild seas our first few days - 1 -4 ft. waves only. I found myself very woozy - not sick, just uncomfortable, dizzy, which lead to crabbiness.

After two days of this, I heard others saying how wonderful the wrist bands were. I considered this to be some kind of "voo doo" medicine :) and not a real option when I left. I went down to the Disney shop & the CM told me that if they didn't work, to bring them back. I spent my $11, and within 15 minutes I was free of all wooziness. That first night I still had the Bonine in me & had no adverse effects.

I was glad I switched to the bands since our last night at sea was pretty rocky! 8 - 13 ft seas.

I still don't understand how the wristbands work, but they do work.

Thanks for the tips! It's interesting to get two different opinions! I'm going prepared with both. The Sea Bands were $8 at CVS so you didn't over pay by too much on the ship!!!

I just sailed Jan 6 2002. The first 2 days I wore the seabands and took bonine. Had no problems at all. We had really rough weather during the second night and still was fine.

Good luck!

Hmmm... maybe I didn't put them on right? The Sea Bands didn't work for me at all! Fortunately after about the first day it wasn't too bad (manageable)

I bought generic bonine (meclazine) and used the sea bands - if you use them correctly they press against an acupuncture point - I am very prone to sea sickness and I felt great - didn't even care that they made funky looking bracelets!

I WOULD NOT go on a cruise without my sea bands. The first cruise I ever took was during El Nino. OMG you couldnt even walk down the hallway straight :eek: I was so sick the whole time I swore I'd never go on another cruise. CAN YOU IMAGINE??!!
9 months later I was back on a ship fully armed with bonine, ginger, dramamine and the bands. I wanted to try the bands first and they worked great!! I have never needed anything else. You must read the directions and put them on correctly though. And hey they look groovy with your formals;)

Will Bonine cause drowsiness?

I am completely panicked about being sea sick and now you guys have me worried about having vertigo after I get off the ship. :D

Try the Bonine BEFORE you leave, to see how it affects you. I wore Sea-Bands and took "non-drowsy" Dramamine. I was fine. DH did the same for one day and then abandoned both!

DD7 took 1/2 of a regular Dramamine (children should not take non-drowsy Dramamine or Bonine. They have children's dramamine, but she hates to "chew medicine", so she swallowed 1/2 the adult) She also wore Sea-Bands for only 2 days.

A few days later, we noticed DD7 with the Sea-bands on again. My DH & I thought she wasn't feeling well - no, she put them on because they "matched her outfit" for that day!

We tried the meds before we left to see how we fared. DD7 was not tired at all from her "regular Dramamine" dosage. We felt no ill-effects, either. I believe the Bonine is the same as the "non-drowsy Dramamine".

Bon Voyage!:cool:

Where do you find Bonine. We are going on our first cruise in April and my husband is prone of motion sickness.

JENR - I see you are from NJ, too! I saw Bonine in Harmons, Cost Cutters, and in Pathmark. If you can't find it, the "Non-Drowsy Draminine" has the same ingredients, or you can pick it up at the Medical Facility right on the ship!
Happy (smooth!) sailing!:wave:

Yes, I am from Marlton, New Jersey. Where are you from? Thank you for your help. I am really nervous because we have never been on a cruise and I have been begging my husband for years and he always says no because he is afraid he will be sick the whole time. I hope this stuff works. Thanks

I went to my doctor and got a prescription for a patch. It worked so well. I am prone to extreme seasickness and we were worried that I wouldn't be able to enjoy the trip. The patch worked great with no side effects. I put the first one on before we left the hotel at WDW to drive to the port. I put the second one on three days later as prescribed. I never got sick. We took a car ferry out of Victoria, BC to Port Angeles, WA and I threw up the entire time. Had to change clothes and wash at the nearest restroom once we got off. I'm never going to go through that again.

Jenr - We are from Northern NJ - Parsippany. Don't worry about being seasick. So many on these boards have said they had been sick on other cruises, but not on Disney. The ship is huge and the stablizers really do their job!

We had a mid-ship outside cabin on Deck 7. Never felt the ship move in our cabin. Felt it a little in Parrot Cay one night and in the theatre one night. On the way out of dinner one night I looked out the window and saw the ocean going by at a pretty quick clip! I told my husband, "Maybe I shouldn't be looking at that!" But, really, we all did fine!
Good luck and enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!