Bonine for Kids

jaimesgold

Earning My Ears
We leave tomorrow on the Wonder. I'm worried about seasickness. I bought Dramamine and Bonine to take with us. The Bonine is non-drowsy but the Dramamine isn't. The Dramamine says kids 2 and over can take it. The Bonine says to ask a doctor. My son is 3. Does anyone have experience giving Bonine to a young child?

Call your pediatrician real quick about the Bonine. I took it with us last year for my 3 and 5 year old (at the time). Bonine is good because it really isn't preventative, it is for if they start feeling gross. That way you aren't giving meds if they don't need it. My doc gave me a dose recomendation for both my kids.....I didn't have to use it though :) Your ped. should be able to tell you right over the phone. Just let them know the ingredients and such.

Have fun!

Most kids don't get sea sick on a cruise. We gave all of our group ginger candy and pieces of ginger to suck on. We had sea bands -- just in case.

Call your pediatrician real quick about the Bonine. I took it with us last year for my 3 and 5 year old (at the time). Bonine is good because it really isn't preventative, it is for if they start feeling gross. That way you aren't giving meds if they don't need it. My doc gave me a dose recomendation for both my kids.....I didn't have to use it though :) Your ped. should be able to tell you right over the phone. Just let them know the ingredients and such.

Have fun!

Actually, sea sickness and anti nausea medications work best before you start feeling sick. So, Bonine is best used before hand and will not work as effectively if you take it after you start feeling sick.

As far as your 3 year old, my ped recommends Benedryl. Sea sickness medications are all forms of antihistamines. Benedryl is safe for children. They do have children's bonine available if you can find it.

Actually, sea sickness and anti nausea medications work best before you start feeling sick. So, Bonine is best used before hand and will not work as effectively if you take it after you start feeling sick.

How long before the boat leaves port would someone take it to fend off any sea sickness?

Thanks!!

We took ours the morning of our cruise. However, a couple of hours before you board should be sufficient. I also kept taking one every morning of the cruise and never felt a thing.

My Pediatrician only recommends Benedryl for my boys (5 and 9). My oldest gets sick in the car on long trips so we always keep it handy. I give him 1/2 a pill every few hours just to ward off any nausea. It doesn't make him overly sleepy with a smaller dose. I also bought the Bonine in the past and he just threw it up.

This is our first cruise and we leave on Sunday. I am really hoping we don't have sickness. It is so funny, he can ride every ride at WDW with no problem but gets sick riding calmly down I-95 to get there.

As far as your 3 year old, my ped recommends Benedryl. Sea sickness medications are all forms of antihistamines. Benedryl is safe for children. They do have children's bonine available if you can find it.

My ped said to give Bonine at the onset of nausea since my kids have NEVER had motion sickness issues.(it actually states on the box to take and hour before or at onset) No sense in giving kids meds when they may not even need them. Now if you KNOW motion sickness is going to be a factor I would def. take it ahead of time. We have the childrens bonine.

Where did you find the kids Bonine? I have been looking for it and can't find it! We also leave on Sun and I have no idea what to do w/ mine - ages 7,4,3!

I'm in NY, can't remember to tell you the truth where.
Here is a link from their site though that states where its available:

http://www.bonine.com/where_to_buy.php

It doesn't state kids specifically for the look up.

It is for 6 and up so if your kids are younger than that consult your pediatritian first.

Where did you find the kids Bonine? I have been looking for it and can't find it! We also leave on Sun and I have no idea what to do w/ mine - ages 7,4,3!

I got mine at Walmart. I am sure Walgreens or CVS would have it as well. Just to state it again...
Bonine for kids is for kids AGES 6 and OVER. Do not give to a younger child without first talking to your doctor.

Also, I have read that it is best to build it up in your system if you are prone to seasickness (I am VERY prone ;)) so I started taking the adult Bonine 2 days before we sailed and continued it throughout our cruise. I felt great!!

For more info on Bonine go to www.bonine.com

Most kids don't get sea sick on a cruise. We gave all of our group ginger candy and pieces of ginger to suck on. We had sea bands -- just in case.

Clear ginger with your doctor before taking it , it can be fatal in combination with some prescription medications or for people with certain health issues.

We leave tomorrow on the Wonder. I'm worried about seasickness. I bought Dramamine and Bonine to take with us. The Bonine is non-drowsy but the Dramamine isn't. The Dramamine says kids 2 and over can take it. The Bonine says to ask a doctor. My son is 3. Does anyone have experience giving Bonine to a young child?

I got Bonine for kids at Target, it was behind the counter at the Pharmacy. I asked at Walmart, they told me at mine, they dont carry Bonine. The kids kind is a chewable berry flavored tablet. My ped said it was fine, so I do plan to give it beforehand. Im worried that if my kid throws up from seasickness, they might think its a norovirus or something and quarantine them. Also since Bonine wont prevent them from puking due to noro, if they do puke, Im more likely to know its a virus and deal with it better.

Is Benadryl effective if you take it AFTER you feel queasy?? Or should you give it ahead of time as a preventative measure. My kids have never cruised and are not prone to motion sickness. But, them getting seasick would really stink so I want to be prepared. I can actually buy Benadryl here (Canada I can only buy Benadryl or gravol)

The dipenhydramine in the Benadry will have a more sedative effect.

We give the kids the bonine a day before we leave and keep it up with them getting 2 a day until we get home.

Its worked great and they dont get sleepy after taking it.

bonine.jpg

If your pharmacy does not sell Bonine (brand name), ask for meclazine (active ingrediant). It is usually a lot cheaper to buy the generic version.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter