BOG paper plates only

Another example - Disney uses disposable plastic utensils in all their QwikServe places - imagine the reduction in waste if they simply washed metal utensils instead. With service areas of QwikService places that connect to Table Service places that do wash their utensils, I am constantly shocked at this sort of needless waste at Disney.

That depends on the trade offs. You have to weigh the water, energy to heat the water, chemicals to clean the utensils, and energy to dry them. My guess is they use plastic because it's cheaper but one can't assume that metal utensils are "free" in terms of being green.

This is priceless. If Disney used real dishes and flatware it would be because they are green. Now that they are switching to paper and plastic, it's somehow because it's green.

I laugh when I see the signs in hotel rooms asking us all to be green by reusing towels. I have a hunch corporate America (Disney included) wouldn't have jumped on that bandwagon so quickly if it was a move that cost more money instead of less.

Why is there an assumption in the first place that this decision is about becoming more or less "green"? That assumption is ridiculous, IMO.

If I had to guess, it has much more to do with less payroll than attempting to be environmentally conscious. Don't be surprised if you're clearing your own table at BOG breakfast/lunch before long.

That depends on the trade offs. You have to weigh the water, energy to heat the water, chemicals to clean the utensils, and energy to dry them. My guess is they use plastic because it's cheaper but one can't assume that metal utensils are "free" in terms of being green.

I don't think anyone ever said metal utensils are "free" and not without environmental impact. However you also need to consider the material used to make each, the shipping/transportation impacts of getting the product to the park, disposal of one use plastic utensils, etc.

Because it takes no water or chemicals to make plastic?

It takes no energy to create the plastics and/or transport the plastic from the factory and/or to the waste sight?

And the plastic composts into Mother Earth?

It seems like people have leapt to wild assumptions about the reason for this. It was the OP who hypothesized that this was done in an attempt to be "green."

It seems like people have leapt to wild assumptions about the reason for this. It was the OP who hypothesized that this was done in an attempt to be "green."
No wild assumptions are necessary - the decision to move from reusable plates & utensils to paper & plastic is not likely to be an environmentally friendly decision by Disney.

Even those of us who are Disney-friendly can be bothered by decisions that have negative impacts on the environment.

No company is perfect, but there are clearly many folks who would prefer that Disney be better environmental stewards.

Disney can lead on this front (as they had with same-sex benefits for their employees for more than a generation).

A move from reusable to paper & plastic waste is a move in the wrong direction - no matter the motivation.

BOG is odd to me how it goes from QS to TS from lunch to dinner. Not sure why it is different. It technically IS table service .. even though you pre-order your food (basically just skipping the whole menu and having a waiter come to your table to take your order), you still wait for your food and get it delivered to your table (thus "table" service!)
If they are going to go disposable plateware for lunch in a such nicely themed (and looking) restaurant, it just cheapens the venue in my opinion.

The podcast has talked about how they feel BOG has taken a downturn at lunch since the place opened and this would be another step in that direction to obviously cut cost.

But honestly, unless you've eaten at BoG for lunch before or read these forums, most people probably won't even notice or care (thus the reason Disney makes the well-calculated move).

Just not sure why they don't just make it TS all the time --- The revenue they miss in turnover they would get by increased prices for selling dinner-style meals. I enjoyed BOG for lunch, but felt it was a bit expensive for a QS lunch and frankly didn't "feel" QS service.

I've eaten at plenty of TS restaurants for lunch and enjoy the bigger meal at mid-day to rest and recharge.

They are doing a kitchen refurb at the moment at BOG. Rather than closing the location altogether (which would have people in a frenzy), they're using paper plates so that kitchen stewards can have an easier time trying to keep up while the refurb/expansion is going on. That's the story. I'm sure that this too shall pass...

I went crazy to get this reservation for lunch for my upcoming trip but the more I hear the more I feel we should just go to Columbia Harbor House or to the Contemporary for lunch that day...........

Maybe people were stealing the plates?

No doubt some people swipe the utensils and a few may take plates, but I would hate to see all QS locations that use real dishes and utensils switch to disposals.

Two QS places I know of that use the real stuff are Satuli Canteen and the Pepper Market. It def enhances your dining experiences to have real dishes/utensils.

What’s confounding me is, why BOG? I assume they are still using real things for dinner. I wouldn’t pay $36 for a steak served on a paper plate with a plastic fork and knife. They have the dishes and dishwashers there anyhow.

They are doing a kitchen refurb at the moment at BOG. Rather than closing the location altogether (which would have people in a frenzy), they're using paper plates so that kitchen stewards can have an easier time trying to keep up while the refurb/expansion is going on. That's the story. I'm sure that this too shall pass...
If that’s true, then I’m just fine with it. It certainly won’t ruin our meal. Glad to hear it’s probably not permanent.

This is what I've read from other sources as well. The paper plates will only be around for about 2 weeks while the refurb (I heard it is specifically the dish washing equipment that is being upgraded/refurbished) is taking place .

Last edited:
If that’s true, then I’m just fine with it. It certainly won’t ruin our meal. Glad to hear it’s probably not permanent.
This is what a friend who is a CM told me. They're really trying they're best -- apparently behind the scenes it's a real mess there. Just makes me feel bad for the CMs that people are getting so upset about paper plates when they're just trying to keep their heads above water while stuff is in disarray.

This is what a friend who is a CM told me. They're really trying they're best -- apparently behind the scenes it's a real mess there. Just makes me feel bad for the CMs that people are getting so upset about paper plates when they're just trying to keep their heads above water while stuff is in disarray.
I'll just cross my fingers that when we go on the 27th and 28th, they're back to plates. But I certainly won't be upset if they're not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter