Bob Chapek’s Compensation Increased to $32.4 Million in Fiscal 2021, Bob Iger’s Rose to $45.9

This is a little bit shocking, because Disney Stock is tanking right now. Seems weird to reward a CEO when the stock is down 38% year to date. I thought you were not supposed to get a raise when you underperformed.
Yeah… not much incentive to boost the stock price if you’re already pulling in $32M. I guess they justify it because they gave CM’s a little more money

This is a little bit shocking, because Disney Stock is tanking right now. Seems weird to reward a CEO when the stock is down 38% year to date. I thought you were not supposed to get a raise when you underperformed.
Well. The way CEO pays work is that you get a small raise when things aren't going well. But, you get a windfall if the company is raking it. Even when the company is on the brink of bankruptcy, the CEO still gets paid boat loads of money to leave!

LAX

Well. The way CEO pays work is that you get a small raise when things aren't going well. But, you get a windfall if the company is raking it. Even when the company is on the brink of bankruptcy, the CEO still gets paid boat loads of money to leave!

LAX
Yep...... Move along, nothing to see here folks. :rolleyes1

CEO's get a fixed salary and the rest is usually stock incentives, with some part of those incentives based upon performance. The value of the stock incentives varies with the stock price, so the CEO's will do their darndest to make the stock price rise through short-term policies.

This is, in a single sentence, the reason that Disney's stock is down right now. The long term has been ignored, and the short term policies of raising prices and nickel and diming guests for everything, have created a negative view of Chapek. While the Board of Directors, who sets compensation, thinks Chapek is doing well coming out of a pandemic, they're ignoring what's going to happen when you have a double whammy of a recession and Disney enthusiasts who are pissed off with Chapek's short term revenue policies. Wait a year and see what happens when Chapek talks about the "tough economic environment" caused by the recession, and ignores talking about how his short term revenue policies so angered Disney enthusiasts that they're going to Universal or cutting back on Disney park days (in effect, cutting his safety net).

CEO's get a fixed salary and the rest is usually stock incentives, with some part of those incentives based upon performance. The value of the stock incentives varies with the stock price, so the CEO's will do their darndest to make the stock price rise through short-term policies.

This is, in a single sentence, the reason that Disney's stock is down right now. The long term has been ignored, and the short term policies of raising prices and nickel and diming guests for everything, have created a negative view of Chapek. While the Board of Directors, who sets compensation, thinks Chapek is doing well coming out of a pandemic, they're ignoring what's going to happen when you have a double whammy of a recession and Disney enthusiasts who are pissed off with Chapek's short term revenue policies. Wait a year and see what happens when Chapek talks about the "tough economic environment" caused by the recession, and ignores talking about how his short term revenue policies so angered Disney enthusiasts that they're going to Universal or cutting back on Disney park days (in effect, cutting his safety net).
He might not stick around long enough for that. But fear not, he's got that "golden" parachute!

LAX

The long term has been ignored, and the short term policies of raising prices and nickel and diming guests for everything, have created a negative view of Chapek. While the Board of Directors, who sets compensation, thinks Chapek is doing well coming out of a pandemic, they're ignoring what's going to happen when you have a double whammy of a recession and Disney enthusiasts who are pissed off with Chapek's short term revenue policies. Wait a year and see what happens when Chapek talks about the "tough economic environment" caused by the recession, and ignores talking about how his short term revenue policies so angered Disney enthusiasts that they're going to Universal or cutting back on Disney park days (in effect, cutting his safety net).
I find these comments funny because you don’t think that Disney doesn’t have a team of analysts working on future market conditions vs current market conditions. I’m an analyst for a company half the size and my team is doing these analytics all day long . In some cases we guess right and some cases we guess wrong but for the most part we know what’s coming. Covid and the sudden demand thru a giant curveball into all of our models so who knows what the future holds.

I find these comments funny because you don’t think that Disney doesn’t have a team of analysts working on future market conditions vs current market conditions. I’m an analyst for a company half the size and my team is doing these analytics all day long . In some cases we guess right and some cases we guess wrong but for the most part we know what’s coming. Covid and the sudden demand thru a giant curveball into all of our models so who knows what the future holds.

You'd be surprised what a company Disney's size doesn't have. And what they do have, they don't really get top talent outside the likes of entertainment and a few other select areas.

You'd be surprised what a company Disney's size doesn't have. And what they do have, they don't really get top talent outside the likes of entertainment and a few other select areas.

Disney hold its own data and analytics conference every year so I would hope they know a little something. I had a chance to go one year and it was extremely informative and lot of Disney analytics executives where there including the CFO. Learned a lot when I was there and hopefully I get a chance to go back again.

Some incentives are linked to overall performance of the stock, but there are other benchmarks attached to the performance of the financials that have nothing to do stock price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter