Boardwalk or Riviera one bedroom villa??

Theta

DIS Veteran
Which would you choose? I have a Delta Vacations voucher I need to use, so essentially, I am paying part voucher and part cash. Going for 4 nights and the price difference is about $100 a night.

So is a one bedroom standard view at Riviera worth an extra $400 for the four night trip?

I normally stay at Beach Club and BCV and love the area. I have never stayed at RIV or Boardwalk. There will be 3 of us in the room.

Edited to add: I just read this thread and I think it is Boardwalk for us.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/riviera-v-boardwalk.3839399/

Last edited:
Which would you choose? I have a Delta Vacations voucher I need to use, so essentially, I am paying part voucher and part cash. Going for 4 nights and the price difference is about $100 a night.

So is a one bedroom standard view at Riviera worth an extra $400 for the four night trip?

I normally stay at Beach Club and BCV and love the area. I have never stayed at RIV or Boardwalk. There will be 3 of us in the room.

Edited to add: I just read this thread and I think it is Boardwalk for us.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/riviera-v-boardwalk.3839399/

So we are getting closer in my mind. I said in that thread take the money because it was $1000. For you though we are talking about $400.

Maybe you RIV for the following reasons:
  • 1BR at RIV is much nicer and much bigger (100 sq/ft 800 vs 700)
  • RIV is never really going to be "cheaper" because its a DVC only resort while BW has both DVC and Cash so this is your chance to stay there for not much more
  • RIV is a nice new shiny resort with better food onsite and roughly the same travel time to the Epcot options
  • If its after Epcot restarts fireworks there is a shot at Firework views from your room at Riviera in the Standard View category.
Final note is that if you said you were renting points and getting a Boardwalk View then I would absolutely say go with Boardwalk at that point but paying cash you won't get Boardwalk View rooms. I don't think there is a wrong choice though these are two of the best resorts at WDW.

I own DVC at BWV and RIV but my costs between the two are very similar.

The Skyliner does not operate during stormy weather - when lightning is in the area. When that happens, it's buses only for transportation.

If your focus is mostly the parks and you are going during the summer or early fall (hurricane season), my advice is to pick the Boardwalk.

Riviera wins resort and room quality by a mile. Boardwalk does the same for location. Depends on what your after! We prefer an updated room so we usually choose Riviera over BCV or BWV, but not always. Sometimes we want to walk to HS and Epcot. BWV STD view 1 bedrooms are one of the best bangs for your DVC bucks on property. Riviera is a very high point cost.

I agree that the RR is a beautiful resort, the rooms are really nice and kind of make the BW look a bit shabby. I really hate to say that as BW is my home resort and I love it there. The way I see it is after 20+ years the RR will look shabby too. I really hope that the next time they do an update to BW they splurge a little on the furniture, it needs to be spruced up IMHO.

That being said I think it would depend on when you go and what you plan to do. If you stay at BW you can still ride the Skyliner, to me it's an attraction in itself to me. The down side of the Skyliner is it tends to be down during certain times of the year due to the weather which will require you to take a bus wherever you want to go. Another thing to consider, this may be your best opportunity to try RR at a relatively small increase in cost then you would normally pay. Also you normally stay in the BW/BC/YC area so maybe it would be nice to try something new.

Ultimately whatever resort you try I'm sure you will have a great time. Good luck and have a magical vacation. princess:

Riviera wins resort and room quality by a mile. Boardwalk does the same for location. Depends on what your after! We prefer an updated room so we usually choose Riviera over BCV or BWV, but not always. Sometimes we want to walk to HS and Epcot. BWV STD view 1 bedrooms are one of the best bangs for your DVC bucks on property. Riviera is a very high point cost.
Has BWV added the pullout chair so they can officially sleep 5, or are they still just 4? For the OP’s party size it’s a non-issue, but we are a family of 5 and always need to worry about that.

No they are still sleep four only. But you can quite literally get a TWO bedroom at BWV for a few points cheaper than a ONE bedroom STD view at Riviera.

Sort of yes.

Getting a 1br Standard View at RIV shouldn't be too hard while getting a 2BR Standard View at BWV is going to be more difficult.

So while yes you could when you are renting it will really depend on the time of year you are going if you can actually get that. BWV is about the resort less about the rooms in the end since RIV rooms are nicer and bigger than. (own at both)

Has BWV added the pullout chair so they can officially sleep 5, or are they still just 4? For the OP’s party size it’s a non-issue, but we are a family of 5 and always need to worry about that.

As noted above, there is no sleeper chair. and probably will never be one because there is not enough room in the living room for both it and a queen couch. To be able to add one would require redoing the kitchen entirely by removing the counter area that divides the kitchen from the living room.

Mentioned above is the possibility of getting a 2BR at BWV. If you were using points, you could possibly get pool/garden view but getting a standard view is near impossible, even for BWV owners, as the standard view studios disappear on almost a daily basis right at 8 a.m. at 11-months out, which also eliminates 2BRs as they are all lock-offs.

OP also has a different issue because of the intent to get a cash reservation through Disney. Since at least sometime in 2020, Disney has apparently ceased offering the BWV 2BR as a cash reservation. You will notice if you go to the Disney resort site that the only rooms listed for possible rental at BWV are the studios, 1BRs and GVs.

Last edited:

No pull out Chair but they have small pull down bed under the TV in the studios which make the studios a 5 person option. Sort of weird to have the smaller villa hold more people.

However, they will allow you to have 5 in the 1 bedroom and you can bring an aero bed and your own sleeping bag for it. Works best if you are driving.

No pull out Chair but they have small pull down bed under the TV in the studios which make the studios a 5 person option. Sort of weird to have the smaller villa hold more people.

However, they will allow you to have 5 in the 1 bedroom and you can bring an aero bed and your own sleeping bag for it. Works best if you are driving.

Yes one of the crazy properties where the studios sleep more the the 1 bedrooms.

As a family of 5 we certainly have had our share of aero beds over the years, but generally not the relaxing stay we are going for when we stay on site at WDW. Same for staying in a studio, though we’ve done that too when availability and points gave us no other options. Given our somewhat limited points, the sweet spot for us is a 1-bedroom that also has the pull out chair. Didn’t realize the BWV 1-bedrooms had space limitations that prevented that, but it does explain why they haven’t added those chairs during refurb.

One walk past the horrendously long Skyliner line at Epcot closing is enough to make me say “Boardwalk”. Such a pleasure to stroll directly to your hotel without having to join that massive queue.

Both are great.
We have stayed at both.
The 1 br at Riviera is really nice. The mobile dining there is great too. The resort is beautiful albeit I found the pool to be on the small side.

Bwv is our home resort and we love it there.
It def needs a refurb and a pull out chair like okw. The pool and pool bar are great as well.

I guess it comes down to parks/transportation and what you are looking for.
The walk to Epcot and out at the end of the night is key for us. Our kids are Epcot/HS lovers right now and are old enough to make the walk to HS.

Transportation/Logistics Bwv wins imo.
Rooms /resort for Adults Riv wins.

I really do like both.
If it came down to DVC points it would be a firm
BWV strictly for the value.
Since it is not I say you can't go wrong either way.
Good Luck with your decision and I hope you have a wonderful time!

One walk past the horrendously long Skyliner line at Epcot closing is enough to make me say “Boardwalk”. Such a pleasure to stroll directly to your hotel without having to join that massive queue.
Yeah
I def have to agree with this!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter