Board the Ship

Would you cruise if there were no COVID restrictions?

• Yes

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • No

Votes: 44 52.4%

• Total voters
I told my wife yesterday that I do not think it’s worth the money until what we like to do and how it goes can be done cruising. We are set on Dream b2b in 2 rooms in June and are canceling today... to buy a DVC add-on. Reading about passengers currently on the Quantum of the Seas makes me bearish on cruising being available, let alone relaxing anytime soon. That assumes, ports open to us myopic and selfish Americans, and we magically crystallize behind a coherent national plan.

Absolutely would cruise without any restrictions*

*The only positive throughout this whole thing is that the Chinese and Tex Mex buffets here are providing single-use gloves to wear while grabbing food off the buffet. You grab a fresh pair when you get back in line too. No more kids picking their nose then grabbing the tongs with bare hands. So DCL buffet should go cafeteria style or provide gloves. That would definitely Make Buffets Great Again.

Absolutely would cruise without any restrictions*

*The only positive throughout this whole thing is that the Chinese and Tex Mex buffets here are providing single-use gloves to wear while grabbing food off the buffet. You grab a fresh pair when you get back in line too. No more kids picking their nose then grabbing the tongs with bare hands. So DCL buffet should go cafeteria style or provide gloves. That would definitely Make Buffets Great Again.
We have seen self-serve hot bars, with gloves, reappear in some of our NC supermarkets.

With all due respect, I don't think there is any tangible evidence that Americans are any more "myopic and selfish" than anyone else.
You mean like a double-blind controlled study?

It's just an opinion - probably helped by all the political mess and public flouting of rules - and something you will see more when you get to travel the world. And by traveling, I don't mean vacationing at a resort or on a ship where you are paying someone to serve you.

Personally I would, but that wouldn't happen any time soon. I could see that happening in a few years, if things get better. I could see restrictions going down to the point of just temperature checks, (Which I've said before I would like the temperature checks to stay forever.) but I am not hopefully that it will happen anytime soon or even think it would happen any time soon. That is just my opinion.

You mean like a double-blind controlled study?

It's just an opinion - probably helped by all the political mess and public flouting of rules - and something you will see more when you get to travel the world. And by traveling, I don't mean vacationing at a resort or on a ship where you are paying someone to serve you.
I've been to Europe several times without any group. I also worked extensively in Mexico in the 90s.

Selfishness, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. Public flouting of rules could be one person's definition of selfishness. If so, mask compliance in the US is actually very high, and there has been quite a bit of resistance to lockdown measures in the UK and Europe, although we don't hear much about them.

Others might consider spending money on cruises, rather than giving the money to the poor to be selfish.

It's all in the eye of the beholder,

No, I wouldn't.

I would only cruise if my family has already received our vaccines and it's required to board. Otherwise, a negative test or temperature checks would not make me feel safe.

(I have 2 cruises booked this year so I'm optimistic.)

I've been to Europe several times without any group. I also worked extensively in Mexico in the 90s.

Selfishness, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. Public flouting of rules could be one person's definition of selfishness. If so, mask compliance in the US is actually very high, and there has been quite a bit of resistance to lockdown measures in the UK and Europe, although we don't hear much about them.

Others might consider spending money on cruises, rather than giving the money to the poor to be selfish.

It's all in the eye of the beholder,
Compared to where and based on what evidence? If UK - probably handling the pandemic worse than the US now - is the frame of reference, this isn't much of an argument. I would go further and speak with the Germans, Japanese, Chinese, or anyone hailing from another major economy but with a different way of life - a way that wasn't actually exported to this part of the world - to hear these opinions.

Doesn't make them right - far from it actually. But it's quite interesting that we won't use the same adjectives for them that they use for us.

As for the last two lines in your post, you seem to be paraphrasing what I pointed out. I agree - it's simply an opinion, so there isn't much to gain by looking for 'direct evidence' backing it.

Not right away. As fun as cruising is, it’s much easier to spread sickness on ships. I won’t make anyone feel guilty for going, but I’m going to wait until 2022 before I take a cruise

I would cruise right now with no checks or restrictions of any kind. Negative tests are meaningless. They only prove that at that moment you are negative. That's why pro sports test daily. Not everyone will get the vaccine so holding out for that means you will never cruise and no cruise line will ever make proof of a vaccine a requirement to cruising because so many people won't get the vaccine.

No, but soon, the vaccine will be there for people who want to take it and cruise line might not make proof of a vaccine a requirement, they could very much have people who are not vaccinated sign a waiver saying that they can sue the cruise line if there is an outbreak, if they have to be transported to a hospital, etc.

Plus, right now, while it may not be perfect, the tests are the best « prevention of outbreak » available, right now. (Vaccination not being offered to the general public yet). It may not be 100% to prevent outbreaks but it’s as good as it gets right now. Might as well use it.

We were also on the '19 WBPC and several people did contract COVID and we know of several who passed away due to it. It's nothing to take lightly. And I completely agree, while "never" is a very long time, it will be a very long time before (if) we ever get back to "the way it was before..."

On the WBPC they stopped allowing self-serve buffet. And it wasn't that bad at all. Honestly, it was nice knowing that only gloved cast members were handling the tongs, not some kid who hadn't washed his hands in 3 days. It didn't slow things up as you might suspect either. It was actually fairly efficient. There's always that tray you just can't fully reach in the back that is no longer an issue! People will get used to it, and life will go on. You're back onboard! There's plenty of other things to focus on.

As for the "requiring proof of vaccination," I hope they do. People say "they can't do that!" Sure they can. They're a company, not a public park. They have the responsibility to keep people safe, so they absolutely can require that. They already require lots of things. Paying in full by a certain date, having a passport, being on time for boarding, etc. This is no different. It's one more piece of paper you have to provide to board. And honestly, why wouldn't you get the vaccine if you're going to be in relatively close proximity to a couple thousand people from all over the world for several days? It just makes good sense.

Does getting the vaccine mean you won't get COVID? No, but then again people who get the flu shot every year still get the flu too. I think (personal opinion, not speaking for anyone else) that we need to change the way we think about our daily routines and vacations a little. Just like you have to have certain immunizations to go to certain countries in the world, it's no different requiring the vaccine to cruise again.

Cheers,

daedelus

We are booked for May 2021 and if the ship sails then we shall be on her, regardless of what measures will be in place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter