Blue Skies and Sunshine - from Pregnant to (Princess) Half Marathon 2023

C.beara

Mouseketeer
Hi, I’m C! I’m super shy (and have almost created a running journal at least a half-dozen times) but here I am...

Background: I’m in my late 20’s, female, married, Canadian, and pregnant (due in late April). It snows here for approximately 5-6 months of the year, so the treadmill is my friend/frenemy.

My running journey started about 3 years ago now. I should say restarted because I’ve had a love-hate relationship with running since I was 13. Starting in late 2017 I did the whole “run 1 minute/walk 1 minute” program, working up my run intervals until I was comfortable” running for 30 minutes.

DH decided he wanted to run the WDW Marathon 2020, and (not wanting to miss out on a shiny medal) I decided to challenge myself to the 10K (5k being my longest distance previously). I won’t lie, I was also really looking forward to the Minnie medal, but Oswald’s fine I guess.

I completed the MW 10K just under 80 minutes - without any character stops (as you can see, I’m not fast). But I ran the whole thing (except water stops, because I am not coordinated enough to drink out of those little cups while running).

Pre-pregnancy, I ran 3-4 times a week. Morning sickness wiped me out pretty early and I didn’t feel up to running once I hit the second trimester, knowing that I hadn’t run in almost 8 weeks. I do yoga and strength training, and some occasional cycling. My indoor cycling has definitely increased in volume the last few months. I’m also trying to incorporate some treadmill walking to keep me sane.

What’s the plan? I keep thinking about the half distance and it seems like the logical progression from the 10k, but I just haven’t been sure about it. But creating goals for 2021 made me realize that my goal isn’t really just for this year, it’s more long-term getting back to where I was (and hopefully a better runner). If you’re on the Running Thread, you might remember that this summer I asked:

For those of you who have done a half or marathon, what was your inspiration or motivation? Or did you always just assume you’d do it? How did you decide to “go the distance”?

And wow! You did not disappoint, gave me lots of advice and points to consider. With every race in the foreseeable future canceled I wasn’t in a rush to decide, but then DH suggested that the half at either 2023 MW or Princess Weekend might be good motivation for me, postpartum. Little One will be fairly little but it could be a fun trip*.

Besides, I hear running through the castle is pretty awesome!

So this is my journey as I go forward. I don’t promise to be interesting, but I will be genuine.

If you read any or all of this feel free to come along for the ride. Comments are definitely welcome (because let’s be real, I have no clue what I’m doing!)

* contingent of course on in-person races starting up again, travel restrictions, LO’s temperament, and other factors, but I sincerely hope it will be possible....

Hi! I ran my first half marathon in November of 2017, my younger daughter was nine months old at that time. I can definitely relate to bouncing back into running after having a baby. It's not as hard as you would think. I didn't have the snow to contend with, bit the stroller was my new best friend! I'm hoping to finally make it to a Run Disney weekend in 2023 as well.

Disney with a 10 month old is WAAAAY easier than Disney would be with a 15 month old (who has opinions and is really mobile, and is also in the "stranger-danger" phase of things.)

Congrats on your pregnancy! Also, here in solidarity as I started running when I had a 6mo old, and pushing a stroller is definitely not my favorite thing (I disliked it so much I only did it 3x last year...did everything else on the treadmill or when DH was hope to watch her.)

Hi! I ran my first half marathon in November of 2017, my younger daughter was nine months old at that time. I can definitely relate to bouncing back into running after having a baby. It's not as hard as you would think. I didn't have the snow to contend with, bit the stroller was my new best friend! I'm hoping to finally make it to a Run Disney weekend in 2023 as well.

Glad to hear you had an easy time, I’m a little worried just because I still consider myself a “new” runner, but I’ve put it in writing now to keep myself accountable lol

Disney with a 10 month old is WAAAAY easier than Disney would be with a 15 month old (who has opinions and is really mobile, and is also in the "stranger-danger" phase of things.)

Congrats on your pregnancy! Also, here in solidarity as I started running when I had a 6mo old, and pushing a stroller is definitely not my favorite thing (I disliked it so much I only did it 3x last year...did everything else on the treadmill or when DH was hope to watch her.)

Thank you!! I have a feeling I will be mostly treadmill as well, but we’ll see what happens. DH may also take baby on his long runs which will not upset me at all lol

Glad to hear you had an easy time, I’m a little worried just because I still consider myself a “new” runner, but I’ve put it in writing now to keep myself accountable lol.

I never said easy, or fast, but it's not exactly overwhelming either LOL.

Okay, first week!

So I’m thinking I’ll just give updates until I’m actually ready to start running again, at which point I’ll sort of layout my plan for the week in advance.

January 11 - January 17, 2021
I had signed up for the Garmin “Step into 2021” challenge, and it wasn’t looking like I was going to make it. It’s been hard getting steps in with working from home and now with the snow & ice my step count is even worse. I am still walking the dog most days, but it’s usually a modified/shorter walk (which is normal for this time of year)

Monday I did a 4km walk on the treadmill (about 45 minutes), and some strength training. I didn’t write down what I did, I’ll try to remember to keep track.
Tuesday - just walking the dog
Wednesday - another 4km on the treadmill
Thursday - 2km on the treadmill, plus a longer (20 minutes) strength training session
Friday - 45 minute indoor cycling.
Saturday - lazy/rest day
Sunday - prenatal yoga DVD. First time doing that workout, I’m not sure I can do it often, it was fairly long and very low-impact (which I know has benefits right now), but I’ll try to do it maybe twice a month just to stay flexible.

I do usually do some yoga/stretching for like 10 minutes after my other workouts, so I’m not super concerned about not including a weekly long yoga session. I really miss in-person classes, but we’re in complete lockdown here, and even when we were open in the fall I decided not to go because we don’t know impacts of COVID on pregnancy. So from that perspective I will say it’s been tough.

I did get the Garmin challenge badge too!

I’m hoping to do 2 bike sessions this week just to sweat a little more, since I’m not sure how much longer I can keep that up.

January 18 - 24, 2021

This week was pretty typical of what's been happening throughout my pregnancy - start with good intentions, and end up not quite where I wanted, but at least did something.

Monday - 4km treadmill walk + strength training
Tuesday - planned for another long(ish) walk, but got bloodwork done and was totally wiped, so just walked the dog
Wednesday - 45 minute indoor cycling
Thursday - 4km treadmill walk + strength training
Friday - planned for another cycle, ended up working later than planned and just didn't feel like "working out" afterwards.
Saturday - I think I pulled a muscle in my left glute while walking the dog? I was going to do another treadmill walk afterwards, but it was really sore...
Sunday - 4km treadmill walk - I was planning for 60-65 minutes, but my left glute was bothering me again near the 40 minute mark, so I called it early + did some gentle yoga/stretching afterwards focusing on hamstrings/glutes

I'm still happy I managed to get a few good walks in, my step count isn't completely embarrassing now. Let's see how this week goes!

And wow! You did not disappoint, gave me lots of advice and points to consider. With every race in the foreseeable future canceled I wasn’t in a rush to decide, but then DH suggested that the half at either 2023 MW or Princess Weekend might be good motivation for me, postpartum. Little One will be fairly little but it could be a fun trip*.
Having made a few trips to Disneyland with very little nieces and nephews, it is a lot of fun. When my nephew was about 16 months old, I took him to see Lightning McQueen while his parents and older brother went on rides he was not yet big enough for. He was so excited that he made vroom vroom sounds. About 13 months later he took me to see the Millennium Falcon while his parents and older brother went on rides he was not yet big enough for. I will not confirm or deny the rumors that I made lightsaber noises because I was so excited. My nephew still tells my sister about all the adventures he and I had in Galaxy's Edge by ourselves just wandering around the area.
Besides, I hear running through the castle is pretty awesome!
I did not expect much before running through Cinderella Castle. I had run through Sleeping Beauty Castle in Disneyland many times during races. To my surprise it was more magical than I expected.
So this is my journey as I go forward. I don’t promise to be interesting, but I will be genuine.
Too many times we see happy smiling faces on social media after someone finishes a race, but we do not realize and maybe the person chose not to share all the moments of discouragement and self doubt in the weeks, months, and maybe even years leading up to that moment. Genuine is great because it reminds us that we all struggle. It's an authentic part of the moment. The triumph of finishing the race is all the sweeter because of all the moments leading up to it where we didn't think the moment would ever come.
Glad to hear you had an easy time, I’m a little worried just because I still consider myself a “new” runner, but I’ve put it in writing now to keep myself accountable lol
Accountability goes a long ways towards achieving your goals.
This week was pretty typical of what's been happening throughout my pregnancy - start with good intentions, and end up not quite where I wanted, but at least did something.
I often struggle in early training. It's too easy to make the excuse that I don't feel up to it today so I'll go tomorrow. And then repeat that excuse tomorrow. Pretty soon tomorrow becomes next week and next week becomes next month and so forth.

So as @DopeyBadger likes to say, start where you are and work from there. I have learned that I don't have to run the distance today, I just have to run it on race day. So as I work on being better today than yesterday I make it to where I want to go. And sometimes being better today than yesterday means doing a little bit today because it's the best you can give regardless of what you did yesterday. Consistency will win out.

Having made a few trips to Disneyland with very little nieces and nephews, it is a lot of fun. When my nephew was about 16 months old, I took him to see Lightning McQueen while his parents and older brother went on rides he was not yet big enough for. He was so excited that he made vroom vroom sounds. About 13 months later he took me to see the Millennium Falcon while his parents and older brother went on rides he was not yet big enough for. I will not confirm or deny the rumors that I made lightsaber noises because I was so excited. My nephew still tells my sister about all the adventures he and I had in Galaxy's Edge by ourselves just wandering around the area.

I did not expect much before running through Cinderella Castle. I had run through Sleeping Beauty Castle in Disneyland many times during races. To my surprise it was more magical than I expected.

Too many times we see happy smiling faces on social media after someone finishes a race, but we do not realize and maybe the person chose not to share all the moments of discouragement and self doubt in the weeks, months, and maybe even years leading up to that moment. Genuine is great because it reminds us that we all struggle. It's an authentic part of the moment.

And sometimes being better today than yesterday means doing a little bit today because it's the best you can give regardless of what you did yesterday. Consistency will win out.

Thank you for your kind words! I really appreciate it

Also your stories with your nephew are adorable!

January 25 - 31, 2021
Well my glute continued to bother me this week, so I tried to lighten the load a little. I’m worried if I stop completely I won’t be able to start again, and I still have 3 months of this pregnancy to get through. Goal is to stay healthy not super fit or anything crazy.

Monday - 2km treadmill walk + prenatal strength and stretching DVD. This one is good because it has mix-and-match workouts so I can do lower vs upper body vs “total” and workouts range from 15 to 25 minutes, but I don’t love how they don’t always demonstrate good form. I did two 15s (total body + stretch).
Tuesday - 2km treadmill walk
Wednesday - 45 minutes indoor cycling
Thursday - 2km treadmill walking
Friday - 30 minutes indoor cycling + strength training
Saturday - 3km treadmill walking + 20 minutes self-directed yoga
Sunday - prenatal yoga

I think that focus on yoga this weekend really helped my glutes, as well as the reduced walking throughout the week. I was surprised that cycling felt as good as it did, because the pressure hasn’t been fantastic the last few times.

I am starting to lose a bit of that second trimester “extra energy” so we’ll see how long I can keep this up. I need to remember to be kind to myself and take rest when I need it. It’s just so tough because it’s “only walking” so I don’t feel like I’m working hard/at all. But my body is doing a lot more work right now than I realize.

February 1 - 7, 2021

The good:
we had some milder temps this week so I was able to get out for a couple slightly longer walks with puppy. I’m starting to go stir crazy so that helped for sure. Also, my glutes barely bothered me this week so I’m very glad about that.

The bad: we’re due for another freeze shortly which means that our sidewalks will be absolutely brutal and DH might not let me out at all (which I agree with, it’s not worth risking me falling right now). I also think I’m much closer to having to give up cycling that I wanted to be, but my thighs were hitting my belly the whole time this week which just isn’t comfy.

The ugly: pregnancy hormones are no joke. Maybe they’re a funny punchline on tv/in movies, but when they’re happening to you it is really not a nice experience. I had a couple blowups this week and I just feel terrible.

Monday - rest
Tuesday - 2km walk + strength training
Wednesday - 4km walk + 20 minutes yoga
Thursday - 2km walk + strength training
Friday - 40 minutes cycling
Saturday - 4km walk + 20 minutes yoga
Sunday - prenatal yoga DVD

I’m really happy I’m still moving, I was really worried when my glutes started going that I was going to be stuck doing nothing. But some exercise has always been important to me for my mental health, and it’s just so much more important now with lockdowns and everything going on, that I’m going to keep this up as long as I can.

February 8 - 14, 2021

Not much excitement this week, just slowly working through prepping the house/nursery for baby and relaxing while I can.

Monday - rest
Tuesday - 3km walk
Wednesday - prenatal strength DVD (lower body)
Thursday - 4km walk + 20 minutes yoga
Friday - rest
Saturday - 4.5km walk + 20 minutes yoga
Sunday - prenatal yoga DVD

As much as I feel like I’ve “accomplished” something when I’ve done the longer 45-ish minutes on the treadmill, I think I may be better off going for shorter (30 minutes or less) and just trying to do that more frequently. My body just feels so tired otherwise....

also, I found myself saying something I never expected this week: I miss running.

February 15 - 21, 2021

I was so sluggish this week - and I think this might be my new normal. I started out trying to only do 2-3km/day and just do a couple more days, but very quickly failed.

Monday - 2km walk
Tuesday - rest
Wednesday - Prenatal Pilates (30 minutes) + Strength - this Pilates is like a "bonus" workout with the strength dvd, and I'm not sure I'd do it again. I do have another dvd that is all Pilates that I will try, just to keep incorporating something a little different
Thursday - 3km walk + 20 min yoga
Friday - rest
Saturday - 4.5km walk + 20 min yoga
Sunday - 2km walk + 20 min yoga

I often forget to be kind to myself, so that's the goal for this week, my body is doing some crazy stuff, if I don't feel like working out I shouldn't beat myself up over it...

February 22 - 28, 2021
A big dump of snow early in the week plus we're having fairly mild temperatures, means we're into the overnight-freeze/daytime-thaw cycle. Which means I'm only getting outside to walk the dog about 50% of the time - which is a little frustrating, when it's one of the few things I can do right now. But the thaws mean that when I did get out this week some of the afternoons we did the "long' walk when it was gorgeous, which was a huge mood boost.

Monday - 2km walk
Tuesday - Strength Training
Wednesday - 2km walk* + Prenatal Yoga DVD
Thursday - 2.5km walk
Friday - 2.5km walk*
Saturday - 3km walk
Sunday - 25 minutes yoga

*Wed/Fri the walk was instead of walking the dog in the morning, which is why Wednesday became a "double-dip" workout day.

March 1 - 7, 2021
More of the same, I think we are officially in the "super boring" phase of this journal. Just general fatigue and trying to maintain some level of activity, while fighting the late winter weather & icy sidewalks. I am getting tired of feeling tired all the time, and it doesn't feel fantastic knowing it's probably going to get worse the next few weeks.

Monday - rest
Tuesday - 2km walk + prenatal strength DVD (Upper body)
Wednesday - 2.5km walk
Thursday - 2km walk + 30 minutes yoga
Friday - 2km walk
Saturday - 2 km walk + strength training
Sunday - rest

I'm going to try and incorporate more yoga just to keep feeling like I'm moving.

Honestly, while you don’t really stop feeling fatigued, there’s usually a nice surge of energy in the last couple of weeks. Nothing that lasts all day, but nesting definitely kicked in at around 36 weeks with all 4 of mine. I gave up on workouts by 15 weeks with this last one, so you’re doing GREAT mama.

Honestly, while you don’t really stop feeling fatigued, there’s usually a nice surge of energy in the last couple of weeks. Nothing that lasts all day, but nesting definitely kicked in at around 36 weeks with all 4 of mine. I gave up on workouts by 15 weeks with this last one, so you’re doing GREAT mama.

Aww thank you, that means a lot, thank you for the kindness. I hope that surge is real, still enough stuff to do around here! Lol

You'll definitely get some energy back during the last month or so when the nesting phase starts. Like @Herding_Cats, I quit working out at 20 weeks or so with both of mine so you're killing it in my book.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!