Blue Lives Matter - The 101st Law enforcement Officer was Killed Yesterday

I think thread like this are a little misleading. This officer died in the line of duty, he wasn't attacked or executed for simply being a cop. Neither reason is less tragic, but the connotation is certainly different.

R.I.P. officer.

The problem is ghstvtherecwas a time when killing an officer was something that was horrific and held terrible consequences. Not do much any more.

The problem is ghstvtherecwas a time when killing an officer was something that was horrific and held terrible consequences. Not do much any more.

Where did you get that idea? The city is mourning the officer's loss and there will be a large funeral for him. The man who shot him is in custody and is NEVER getting out of jail. What further consequences do you want?

I agree. I know that in every profession there are those who abuse their position. but there seems to be a way on Law Enforcement Officers, and I just cannot understand that. I just do not.

Why do you equate calling out those that abuse their positions and those that just aren't right for the job with a "war" on law enforcement? Why dont' good police officers call for the removal of officers that have blatantly done something horrific?

Why do you equate calling out those that abuse their positions and those that just aren't right for the job with a "war" on law enforcement? Why dont' good police officers call for the removal of officers that have blatantly done something horrific?

They do. In my town the officers have been calling for the removal of the Chief and the Captain, both of whom have abused their authority. A lot. Anyway, 18 months later, with internal investigations that were conducted by..you cannot make this up...the chief and the captain, that not only villified the officers who reported these incidents, but the member of the police commission that continued to call for an external investigation, with threats and bribes being repoted as well....the old chief was removed and replaced by an interim PC who has begin the hard process of trunign this around.

I am a member of teh seach committee for a new chief, but we have beensupporting our police force as they in unison, tried to do the right thing while the town leadership tried to silence them.

There is a way on law enforcement though. Offovers all over teh country have had to address the fact that there are some people who are using them for target practice.

Where did you get that idea? The city is mourning the officer's loss and there will be a large funeral for him. The man who shot him is in custody and is NEVER getting out of jail. What further consequences do you want?

I must not have been clear. I did not mean to suggest that the city is not mourning the officer. What I was trying, and I guess not well, to suggest, is that there was a time when shooting an officer was a last resort for desperate criminals, but it does nto seem to be that way any longer. If this is my percepton, I am sorry, but I do ntotremember this happenign with the frewuency we hear about it now.

I must not have been clear. I did not mean to suggest that the city is not mourning the officer. What I was trying, and I guess not well, to suggest, is that there was a time when shooting an officer was a last resort for desperate criminals, but it does nto seem to be that way any longer. If this is my percepton, I am sorry, but I do ntotremember this happenign with the frewuency we hear about it now.

I agree with you. In today's atmosphere, it is more acceptable to kill a police officer and people shouldn't say all lives matter. It is a crazy insane world we are becoming.

I have workers on the road all day doing home visits. The agency has had a lot of people get tickets and it is really interesting when a black person vs a white person gets a ticket for the same thing and in the same area. The conversations go to... the white person deserved the ticket, but the black person didn't and was pulled over because the color of the skin. Then the conversation goes to how the police are out to harm all black folks. Interesting times ....

The problem is on two different areas. First, we do have a few police that shouldn't be on the force so we need to do something to get them off the payroll. Second is a parent issue and hard to over come. Parents tend to teach their children to fear all police officers. Instead, they should teach them how to handle situations when it comes to the police. For example, if you get pulled over be respectable and if you disagree with the police take it to the department and fight it through the command. In today's world, something will get done about the situation you are in.

Last edited:
another officer shot last night, 8 times during a routing traffic stop. 8 year veteran gunned down and is now fighting for his life. prayers with him and his family.

they caught the suspect, hope this piece of trash never sees the outside of a prison cell again.

If you want the war on LEOs to end, you stop condoning killing LEOs. You don't equate stop and frisk with killing a police officer. One results in hurt feelings and inconvenience. The other results in death. Those two things are NOT the same and the former does NOT justify the latter.

How would "stop and frisk" have prevented this death?

How does "stop and frisk" comply with the basic documents this country was founded on?

Obviously death is a magnitude times worse than being frisked, but having your civil rights violated because you are walking down the street is more than just having "hurt feelings".

Last edited:

According to this site, the number is lower than it has been. Compare to 2005, 2007, and 2011 for example. There was an uptick last year compared to 2013. I think the more likely scenario is there being more attention paid in the media.

http://www.nleomf.org/facts/officer-fatalities-data/causes.html

We had a shooting here in my hometown recently at a nightclub. There were uniformed officers in the parking lot, which you would think would be a deterrent, but the shooters went out into the lot and shot the fellow in plain view of the cops. They just don't care anymore.

If you want the war on LEOs to end, you stop condoning killing LEOs. You don't equate stop and frisk with killing a police officer. One results in hurt feelings and inconvenience. The other results in death. Those two things are NOT the same and the former does NOT justify the latter.

One certainly doesn't justify the other, but a government agency that embraces illegal searches as a matter of policy certainly has far more dangerous ramifications than just "hurt feelings and inconvenience".

Stop and frisk was used with probable cause, therefore it was not illegal. I'll take hurt feelings anyway rather than more illegal guns on the streets.

Stop and frisk was used with probable cause, therefore it was not illegal. I'll take hurt feelings anyway rather than more illegal guns on the streets.

That's the legal justification, but what they consider probable cause was bogus.

If you truly have probable cause to search someone, you don't need a "stop & frisk" policy.

Stop and frisk was used with probable cause.

Actually, that's not true. Since the 80's, police used "reasonable suspicion" to stop and question individuals, and were allowed to frisk under certain circumstances. These circumstances expanded in the 90's. This is legally not the same this as probable cause.

Terry v Ohio in 1968 said that officers could frisk without probable cause if they felt the person they were questioning was dangerous. This leads to discussions about judicial overreach and what constitutes "dangerous". I wonder what James Madison and the people who ratified the bill of rights would think of this justification.

How would "stop and frisk" have prevented this death?

How does "stop and frisk" comply with the basic documents this country was founded on?

Obviously death is a magnitude times worse than being frisked, but having your civil rights violated because you are walking down the street is more than just having "hurt feelings".

I and anyone else has the right to walk and go out without the fear of being shot by a couple of low life thugs fighting for the sale of drugs on a street corner. Or sitting in my Living Room like a 12 Year old Girl in Hempstead NY who lost her life because some low life shot at a house during a drive by. Law abiding citizens have rights. I am about at the point where the police should be allowed to go from apartment to apartment and look for guns in some of these high crime project buildings. NYC and Chicago have some of the toughest gun control laws on the books and it doesn't help at all.

Maybe this is just too close to home for me to be objective. My nieces are law enforcement officers in pretty remote areas where backup can be as far as 90 minutes out, and I worry a lot.

Maybe this is just too close to home for me to be objective. My nieces are law enforcement officers in pretty remote areas where backup can be as far as 90 minutes out, and I worry a lot.

I should make clear I have no bone to pick with LEO's, and I totally understand the worry. Besides the military, I can't think of another profession where you are putting yourself in harms way every single day. Maybe firefighter?

It's the rhetoric and sensationalism that rubs me the wrong way.

Police officers shouldn't be getting killed, especially during something as innocuous as a traffic stop. Besides some vicious, angry, hurt people, I don't know anyone who actually thinks otherwise.

I just don't understand the "us vs. them" mentality of the entire thing.

Last edited:
I should make clear I have no bone to pick with LEO's, and I totally understand the worry. Besides the military, I can't think of another profession where you are putting yourself in harms way every single day.

It's the rhetoric and sensationalism that rubs me the wrong way. Police officers shouldn't be getting killed, especially during something as innocuious as a traffic stop. Besides some vicious, angry, hurt people, I don't know anyone who actually thinks otherwise.

I just don't understand the "us vs. them" mentality of the entire thing.
Oh I never thought you had, I think I cannot be objective. No worries.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter