Blown away by this "budget suggestion" is this STEALING to you

Is this stealing??

• HELL YES!!!

• NO way!

• other.....because there is always an other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I remember in '07 when we ate at Chef Mickey's, they checked our names on a list to be sure we actually had a reservation for a meal. Can't imagine it's any LESS strict now...

Not stealing but probably not even doable.

We did park free the night we arrived when we went to eat on the Boardwalk...is that what people mean by overflow parking? Nobody checked us then but it was quite a hike!

This is so stealing!! I am fuming reading this thread. Get me the electronic park passes/braclets (RDFI?) so we can get people who stay off site to not enjoy our benefits.

Staying onsite at WDW is a perk, and off-site people can stay at their off-site hotels, and find their own methods of transportation.

To have a previous travel agent say these items is ridiculous.

Start scanning my RDFI bracelet when I get on the Disney private transportation. That will take care of a lot of these people!!!!!!!

This is 100% stealing, nothing else. This type of theft has a monetary value, and those of us staying onsite pay for these costs (buses, gas, etc). Just because it is free to someone doesn't mean it isn't stealing to someone else.

I know when I priced it out way back in 2002, not even counting parking it cost more to stay off site just when adding the car rental.

This is so stealing!! I am fuming reading this thread. Get me the electronic park passes/braclets (RDFI?) so we can get people who stay off site to not enjoy our benefits.

Staying onsite at WDW is a perk, and off-site people can stay at their off-site hotels, and find their own methods of transportation.

Start scanning my RDFI bracelet when I get on the Disney private transportation. That will take care of a lot of these people!!!!!!!

This is 100% stealing, nothing else. This type of theft has a monetary value, and those of us staying onsite pay for these costs (buses, gas, etc). Just because it is free to someone doesn't mean it isn't stealing to someone else.

Disney transportation is available to everyone who has a Disney ticket, not just those who are staying on property.

Why not just park in the Boardwalk overflow lot where there is no guard, seems easier than flat out lying.

People will always be out to save a buck... or 14.

I've never found staying off property much cheaper by the time you add in parking and good deals. Of course I don't go to Disney during the summer or busy times either though...

she wants to stay as close to 3k without the meal plan as she can. i've got her at $3200 for a group of 5 (2 adults, 11, 9 and 6 year old). that includes airfare

Are you including the same cost out of pocket for food on site as off ?

Eating off site can easily save 10 bucks a day per head. 5 people x 10 bucks x a 7 day vacation = more than parking and a rental car will cost.

To have a previous travel agent say these items is ridiculous.

Your rant is funny..... Thank you for posting it :).

Meh. I couldn't really care less if people want to jump thru hoops and inconvenience themselves.

We've used our resort's pool once after checkout and it was such a pain to use the changing area and lug our wet stuff around that we haven't done it since.

There aren't enough people willing to do that, let alone drive/park/deal with resort transportion/reverse it and do it again to make an impact on the resorts pools, parking, or transportation.

There will always be those trying to cheat the system. I am on vacation and don't spend my time thinking about them.

so my friend posted on her facebook that she i looking for help to book a disney vacation. i of course jump all over that because im addicted to disney and find her the best deal and walk her through how to book it online to get the same price i did (needs 2 rooms) and a couple other people chiming in staying that staying off property would be cheaper (it isn't.....i did the math once you factor in a mini van for a rental car, parking, and then of course since this would be staying off site for budget reasons you might get the flee bag motel) and one women posted this to my arguement that parking and gas would eat up a huge chunk of her budget

2 rooms at the all stars is only $172. :thumbsup2 and she is totally ok with booking 2 rooms

I think one difference is in the quality of the accomodations. The All Stars is a very basic room while those of us who stay offsite often pay the equivalent (or often less) for more upscale accomodations. Wyndham Bonnet Creek is a beautiful, luxurious facility with one to four bedrooms/bathrooms as opposed to a basic hotel room (the last time I stayed there I paid $90 a night total for a 2BR/2BA with balcony views of the fireworks from both Epcot and Magic Kingdom). (Also had a 5BR/4BA with a screened pool, backed up to a lake, in a gated community last Christmas for $100 a night total. :))

Just so there's no confusion, I'm not arguing with your choices. :) Fortunately, there are lots of options. My only disagreement is with the statement that it's cheaper to stay onsite. Even with the rental car and parking, I came out ahead and had a much nicer place to stay.

I think it's arguable whether it is technically stealing, but when a resort displays signs that parking is for their guests only, then it's trespassing for certain or perhaps even fraud. Albeit on a tiny level. Not an example I'd display for impressionable young people, nor want to be judged by.

I know when I priced it out way back in 2002, not even counting parking it cost more to stay off site just when adding the car rental.

Not if you get a priceline rental. I've been able to rent in the summer for $12 per day for a full-size car. Add $14 per day for parking (used to be $10 or $11 the last time we stayed off-site) and that's approx $30 per day extra with tax on the rental. Say you are staying 7 days, that adds up to $210 total.

I'm pricing our <maybe> vacation for this summer and we can stay at Windsor hills for 7 days for $700 for the entire week (3 bedrooms, 2 bath, kitchen, dining room, living room, washer/dryer.

I priced some deluxe resorts with us all being in a single room with a standard view and the price is anywhere from $1985 to $2400 for a single room up to a studio villa with us all still in the same room, but having a pull-out couch and a kitchenette. Add $1000 for a separate bedroom and over $3,000 for 2 bedrooms! That's a big difference in price.

So even with paying for parking and a car rental, the price is still significantly cheaper to stay off-site. We've done both. I like staying on-site with the dining plan for the whole Disney experience, but off-site is nice too because we have more room to spread out -- which becomes wayyyy more important as your kids get to be teenagers.

One year DS got pneumonia on our trip and was able to sleep in his own room. Had we all been in the same room, he'd have been miserable. So there are advantages to both.

Disney transportation is available to everyone who has a Disney ticket, not just those who are staying on property.

yes, it is! :thumbsup2

I think one difference is in the quality of the accomodations. The All Stars is a very basic room while those of us who stay offsite often pay the equivalent (or often less) for more upscale accomodations. Wyndham Bonnet Creek is a beautiful, luxurious facility with one to four bedrooms/bathrooms as opposed to a basic hotel room (the last time I stayed there I paid $90 a night total for a 2BR/2BA with balcony views of the fireworks from both Epcot and Magic Kingdom). (Also had a 5BR/4BA with a screened pool, backed up to a lake, in a gated community last Christmas for $100 a night total. :))

Just so there's no confusion, I'm not arguing with your choices. :) Fortunately, there are lots of options. My only disagreement is with the statement that it's cheaper to stay onsite. Even with the rental car and parking, I came out ahead and had a much nicer place to stay.

ITA - choices, and I have seen some of the off site houses for rent - they are gorgeous!

I read on DVC that during really busy times (F&W, and this last December NYE) they do close off that over flow lot, and just saying you are going to eat at ESPN didnt get people there to park - you had to have the "code" word!! not only a ticket, the room key, but the password as well!

so at times, Disney has cracked down, but as PP stated, this has been a long known and written "secret" - Since I'm a rule follower, it would drive me nuts wondering if they are checking my license plates against the time I came in, and will they tow my car after 3 hours? 4 hours?

That was a long time. As with most things it depends. Last Oct dh & I stayed at the Waldorf
Astoria for 1/3 of the cost of a Disney delux. Even with the cost of the car rental, it was way cheaper. Now just like Disney car rentals offer deals.

Generally I could make it cheaper but I'd have to go down a level in accommodations.

I think it's arguable whether it is technically stealing, but when a resort displays signs that parking is for their guests only, then it's trespassing for certain or perhaps even fraud. Albeit on a tiny level. Not an example I'd display for impressionable young people, nor want to be judged by.
Makes sense.

We usually stay onsite but when we go down to universal and sea world it certainly is much cheaper to stay in far nicer accommodations offsite. Which doesn't include food costs. Disney room classifications are far different than the industry standard, also. Tiny cheesy room offsite can be a third if the value prices and you would probably get at least a third more space. Those are the tiniest rooms ever, outside of old hotels.

I was with a friend who insisted on doing this once. I felt bad, but she didn't and she was driving. The only reason she considered it was that we were going to MK and were leaving straight for home when we were done. She didn't want to deal with the car/tram/monorail situation at that park.

She pulled into Grand Floridian, the nice man at the booth didn't ask what we were there for and she just said we're going to valet park. He pointed the way to her and off we went. I felt so guilty knowing we were getting out of the car and going to the monorail though, I was sure everyone knew what we were doing.

In the end it did save a lot of time, but not money since she used valet anyway. We also got food & gifts at the gift store there. I'm sure I'll get flamed for even being with her, oh well.

I don't think its stealing. I also, don't think it is the right thing to do.

Like a few others have said, if someone wants to drive to BW, park for free, then walk to the BW bus stop, get on a bus to MK and do so on the return, I could care less. I would much rather spend the time at the parks with a few less dollars, then tote my kids all over to save $$$.

I rented a BC 2br from a Wyndham owner and it was $115 per night, no tax.

That would be a big point with me too. Stealing? No. Dishonest? Yes.

I do have to comment on one thing. The last couple of times that I've been there for Christmas I've had reservations to eat at Kona and Boma. Obviously, Christmas is prime time. Neither of the parking lots were anywhere near full so it's hard to say that you're taking parking spaces from guests. However, it's easy to say that you're being dishonest in the use of the space.

Parking at the boardwalk is not the same as parking at any other resort. The argument for allowing unrestricted parking at the boardwalk (and yes, they do restrict it for special occasions) is that the boardwalk itself is an attraction.

If someone is going to the MK and is worried about parking fees, then legally go in through the back for heaven's sake. No parking fee, no cheating, just simply driving.

None of the other three parks have legal back entries, so you're stuck paying there, or doing the park at DTD (the west side always has loads of space at the furthest out lot) get on a resort but and transfer to a park bus. I can't imagine how unpleasant this would be for more than one time!

Anyway, factor the parking fees into the budget and call it good.

It all depends on where you were planning on staying and how good you were at getting a deal on a car.

In December 2010 we stayed for 8 nights in a very nice condo that was no more than 7 minutes from the gates and cost us a total of 475 dollars (all included). This condo had two bedrooms as well as a pull-out couch in the livingroom, 2 full bathrooms, a full kitchen and in unit laundry. We then rented two compact cars (we had 7 people) instead of one big one. A minivan or SUV would have cost over 450 dollars but we got BOTH cars for a TOTAL of 225 dollars (all included). THAT was a deal and a half! Sorry................can't beat that onsite :)

As far as whether or not it's stealing......I find 'stealing' to be a strong word. Not nice, yes. Stealing, not so much. And to those who think it can't be done 'now'...............yes it can. They may ask for your name when you pull in but they aren't checking it against any list. You could be a walk-up without a reservation. You could just be checking out the hotel. They trust you because that's good customer service. And that's what they will most likely continue to do. Because they are Disney.

Klassy. It may be stealing resources and in the case of a DVC resort, stealing from members who pay dues to maintain that pool. Plus, it's just plain trashy.

I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't make my kids participate in this deceptive act (weird and very low brow, IMO) and if I was staying in a resort and couldn't find parking there, I'd use valet or go to management and complain. I'm sure Disney would have a solution.

But, I don't get the fascination with pools. Do you want to get into a pool so bad you'd spend that much time and energy sneaking into one? I would not drive somewhere to swim in a pool when I have the Disney World Resort just outside the door to my resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter