Blended O'HANA: lights, water fountains, and characters OH MY!

DHS- A quick morning tour.

Today was our partial day in DHS since we were headed to Disney Springs to see Gia dance. It was also Mardi Gras. When we were making plans for the trip I had a hard time deciding what to wear. Should I go Mardi Gras? LSU? Villains or Star Wars? In the end I got lazy and just dressed for comfort. I did add some Mardi Gras beads but again went with comfort and wore my least heavy strand. I have some pretty heavy beads in my collection. Later in the day we would all be wearing our "Gia's Ohana" shirts we made.

We didn't make rope drop but we weren't too late. It was a beautiful day with a chance of rain later.

DSC_0556.JPG DSC_0557.JPG

It was also pretty crowded.

DSC_0558.JPG

We started our day the way we seemed to do most park days with a stop in Starbucks. I just loved the entertainment we had. Having the Streetmosphere performers entertain us while we were in line was the best.
DSC_0562.JPG
We took our caffeinated drinks and breakfast to the tables next to Echo Lake. IMG_3134.jpg

By this time we had Gia back with us. Before moving on we visited with the ducks.
IMG_3133.jpg
We had a fast pass in Pixar Place. The next time we go this is all going to be so different for us.
DSC_0564.JPG
We enjoyed our ride on Toy Story Mania. No I don't remember who had the highest score but I doubt if it was me.

Up next was our group FP for the Frozen Sing-a-long. I know the little kids really enjoy it but the entertainment is very much for the adults. If you get a good set of "Historians" it can be very entertaining. It was really great we got to all do this together.
IMG_3137.jpg

It was now time for our last FP and my favorite thrill ride. I need to ride Flight of Passage again before I can decide if it will replace Tower of Terror. Michelle and I were going to be the only 2 riding. Gia had to head back to get ready for her performance. We started making our way back to Sunset Blvd.

DSC_0575.JPG DSC_0576.JPG

Continued in Next Post.

DHS- continued.

And now a cute picture of John Paul. Here's proof that we did feed him.
DSC_0577.JPG
He was rocking that Star Wars shirt.

We finally made it to Tower of Terror. Isn't it just magnificent?
DSC_0578.JPG DSC_0580.JPG
Michelle posted the cute photos we got outside from Photopass. It's a good thing we took those because we never saw our ride photo and it never showed up on our Photopass. I really wanted to see if my beads were hanging in the air.

For lunch we headed to the Muppet area to get some pizza. Pizza is always a good choice with our crowd. It was really a great area to be in with not much crowds. We loved finding the Wedding Reception room upstairs. We ate there in 2017 but never saw this room. I think it's not open all the time now. I'm sure that will change once Galaxy Edge opens and the crowds swell. We almost had the room to ourselves and had lots of fun music.

IMG_3152.jpg

For some reason we spent a lot of time in the area exploring. I think maybe Jimmy was dealing with some work issues. We checked out the wall leading to the new Star Wars area. We took some PhotoPass pictures here but Michelle already posted those.
IMG_3149.jpg
We checked out what use to be the Muppet's dump shop, now it's a little bit of everything. If you look real hard you can see some Muppets related fun.
DSC_0588.JPG
Love the Muppets Courtyard and fountain.
DSC_0590.JPG

JP loved the fountain. I took this picture but the Photopass CM took a bunch for us without even asking. He just started snapping. Some Disney Magic!

DSC_0600.JPG
Once we finished in Muppet Courtyard we headed over to the Launch Bay. We always plan to take advantage of the Disney Visa Meet at Epcot or DHS but this was the first time we actually did it. Michelle did a fabulous job posting on the fun we had there. I'll be very curious to see what JP's reactions are the next time he is faced with the Dark Side. Not too long after exploring the Launch Bay we headed for Disney Springs so we could meet up with Jimmy's parents and all watch Gia dance. We didn't spend much time in DHS but with so much closed it really wasn't a park we had a lot to do. We didn't do it all but that will just give us more to explore on the next trip. I think we're planning on spending our first park day in DHS.

Last edited:
When we were making plans for the trip I had a hard time deciding what to wear. Should I go Mardi Gras? LSU? Villains or Star Wars?

So many choices! What will she do????

In the end I got lazy and just dressed for comfort.

This is known as "anti-climactic".

It was also pretty crowded.

dsc_0558-jpg.386072

Eep!

Having the Streetmosphere performers entertain us while we were in line was the best.

Love those guys! They make visiting the park almost worth it just for them! :)

It was now time for our last FP and my favorite thrill ride. I need to ride Flight of Passage again before I can decide if it will replace Tower of Terror.

Hmmm.... what do you think?
For me, it has.

And now a cute picture of John Paul. Here's proof that we did feed him.
dsc_0577-jpg.386099

Nope. I think that's just proof that you at least teased him that you would feed him.

We finally made it to Tower of Terror. Isn't it just magnificent?

::yes::

Michelle posted the cute photos we got outside from Photopass. It's a good thing we took those because we never saw our ride photo and it never showed up on our Photopass. I really wanted to see if my beads were hanging in the air.

That would've been something!

We checked out what use to be the Muppet's dump shop, now it's a little bit of everything. If you look real hard you can see some Muppets related fun.

Huh! Didn't know that.

Still more exciting than your clothing choices.

I know but at least it has the Theater and not the Sorcerer's Hat. I really did not like it blocking the Theater. The first time I went to MGM we saw the Theater as we walked down the street so for me that's the way it should be.

Love those guys! They make visiting the park almost worth it just for them! :)

Yes they do. My favorite was always the World Showcase Players and the "Holy Grail". The girls and I would always stop the watch while DH would disappear. I think he was afraid they would pick him. That show is another example of something that is gone and not replaced by something better.

Hmmm.... what do you think?
For me, it has.

I need another ride. The only other time I rode FOP was on opening day at opening. I'm not sure if it was the ride that made it great or the adrenaline from the excitement.

Nope. I think that's just proof that you at least teased him that you would feed him.

This is true, we could have withheld the goods. :scratchin

Still more exciting than your clothing choices.

depends on how risqué the clothes are.

I know but at least it has the Theater and not the Sorcerer's Hat. I really did not like it blocking the Theater. The first time I went to MGM we saw the Theater as we walked down the street so for me that's the way it should be.

Stupid hat. So glad it's gone.

Yes they do. My favorite was always the World Showcase Players and the "Holy Grail". The girls and I would always stop the watch while DH would disappear. I think he was afraid they would pick him. That show is another example of something that is gone and not replaced by something better.

Never saw that!

I need another ride. The only other time I rode FOP was on opening day at opening. I'm not sure if it was the ride that made it great or the adrenaline from the excitement.

Well... let me know! :)

This is true, we could have withheld the goods. :scratchin

See?

I've spent the last few days reading through your TR! So much fun. You guys seriously sound like a hoot!

We also went to WDW in 2018 with a little one, and we did the My First Haircut package at Harmony Barbershop. I'm so jealous (figuratively speaking!) of your great experience! Ours was nice enough, but our stylist was unenthusiastic and the whole thing was over in minutes. I was a teeny bit disappointed.

Anyway, I have completely enjoyed hearing about all your fun!!!

Well I made an effort to make them but we don’t do square pretzels this side of the Atlantic apparently ( I asked in several stores lol) and mini m&m could not be found so I had to use cake decorations so mine are definitely not as perfect as yours but I then made Mickey head tophats too as they were easier :thumbsup2
Thanks again for letting me steal your ideas :)
I think it all looks AWESOME! Hope yall had a good time.

Thank you :)
Having grandkids is simply the best isn’t it! We get to spoil them without all the added responsibility and sleepless nights :goodvibes
Idk about having grandkids, but i can tell you that we LOOOOOOOVEEE grandparents.

So I know I'm waaaay late to the party, my bad. I love when I find a good trip report with many pages for me to binge read popcorn::

But I already had to stop and comment because I think it's just incredible you planned this trip with your step daughters mother and family too. :grouphug:
My partner has an 8 year old son and it means so much to him when my partner and I can spend time with him and his mother and step father too. He loves it so much he's started calling us on evenings he spends at his mom's to ask us to come over and hang out. Before my partner and I got together, he had a civil but strained relationship with his ex and they avoided seeing each other as much as they could. I made an effort to reach out to her and I'm glad I did. On Christmas Eve, his son stayed with us but I still took him to his mom's house and we hung out with his mom and little brother all day. He still asks when we can do it again. A trip like this to Disney would be so magical for him. We're planning a trip to WDW in 2021 and I'm hoping our relationship can improve even more to where my partner can feel comfortable inviting her and her husband to join us too

It's all about the child's happiness and you really made that a priority. It's an amazing thing when a child has four parents who love and care about them so deeply.
:love::thanks: There are days, well on the good days, that I do think how lucky she is. I'm sure it's not easy going back and forth and having so many people and things to keep up with. To miss her other family while she's gone. All of those things must be hard. But even when away, she has full access to all of us and all four of us LOVE her and she KNOWS that! There are things at school that no parents show up to for some kids, and yet all of us are there and then some. I don't imagine her life to be easy, but she will be stronger and happier for it, and she will never lack love. My husband was raised by his stepfather, and he has such an appreciation for people that CHOOSE love and willingly GIVE that love to people they don't HAVE to. And that opened my eyes a lot, too. Now, look. She drives me absolutely bonkers! And raising a kid with someone I doubt I'd be friends with at all in real life... that's tough. And that's a decision my husband made, not me. But I choose to love her everyday the same way I choose to love my husband. And even if she's not from my own womb, there's something very special about choosing to love someone. That, and she makes it easy. Well, sometimes LOL!

And I can't tell people this enough, but OUR lives go so much easier when we quit fighting. Choose your battles, are they really worth it? Isn't it easier to admit your insecurities and vulnerabilities and quit competing for who's the best parent? The true measure of who is a good parent is a happy kid. And Gia is much happier when we make it work for her. Except when we all go in on punishments and what not HAHAHAHAH. But thank you for your kind words. Some days are harder than others, so it's nice to get an "atta' girl" once in a while. Kudos to you guys for making it work! It's not easy for anyone. Parenting is hard enough, but it is SO WORTH IT!!!!

I think one of my biggest complaints of making it work is that people don't understand why/how. So when I show up to an event, let's say a parent meeting for cheerleading, people don't understand why I'd be there. I'm not the mom! They know the mom, right? So they make their judgement and they avoid me/us as much as possible because they don't know the background. Everyone just assumes it's supposed to be bad. What they don't know is that I work late, so her mom brought her to dance and the meeting was at the same time, so we divide and conquer! #blendedfamilyprobz

:rotfl:

I've spent the last few days reading through your TR! So much fun. You guys seriously sound like a hoot!

We also went to WDW in 2018 with a little one, and we did the My First Haircut package at Harmony Barbershop. I'm so jealous (figuratively speaking!) of your great experience! Ours was nice enough, but our stylist was unenthusiastic and the whole thing was over in minutes. I was a teeny bit disappointed.

Anyway, I have completely enjoyed hearing about all your fun!!!
:welcome: and :thanks:. We pride ourselves on our hoot-ness! I'm so sorry your haircut experience wasn't as enthusiastic as you'd hope. Had we done it later in the day, it would've been all down hill. I'm very thankful for the patience of cast members!

Life Update: Mardi Gras again.

Mom’s up to Mardi Gras day in the report. (Go, Mom!) But today it’s Mardi Gras Day again. Gia is dancin in Disney again right now and her Mom and Stepdad are with her. They left the baby at home, so G is really having some fun riding rides and getting some one-on-one time. She performed last night in Disney Springs. Ashley sent us pictures and videos and I swear she’s gotten bigger just since I saw her last week. But she’s having a blast! Of course I’m jealous that we aren’t there, but I’m ready to do Disney our way with our family this December.

But since we were in town this year, we actually got to do a little Mardi Gras’ing here at home. The weather has been up, down, and all around, but we decided weekend before last, about 3 hours before go-time that we were going to go to the parade in downtown Baton Rouge with JP. It had been raining all day, but looked clear that evening. So my Dad decided about the same time that he was going to ride in the parade with his Corvette Club as well. Danielle decided to ride with him, they went to go buy throws, and Mom and I set out to get “just-in-case” rain gear.

JP’s school was going to be doing their annual Mardi Gras parade the following week, so I wanted him to have some experience before then, and see how he reacted. We got there, we ran into my husband’s life-long friend that was an on-duty cop that night. That made being downtown at night a lot less nerve wracking! We set up close to the beginning of the parade and close to where we parked so we could leave with JP when he was ready. Spoiler alert: HE LASTED THE WHOLE PARADE AND DIDNT WANT TO LEAVE!

Now that I think about it, the only other parade he’s been to was the Festival of Fantasy Parade in Disney last year. Not sure how he will handle going back… and there not being any beads thrown at Disney Parades! HA!

So glad we got the rain gear because it poured rain for all of 5 minutes RIGHT before the parade started. Enough to bring the temperature down at least 15 degrees. The smallest poncho at Academy that day was a child small and it was TEN DOLLARS. That’s coming with us to Disney! But it covered all of JP, luckily, because I did not have pants for him. Only shorts.

Dad really enjoyed being in the parade, too. People would yell to him how cool his car was and what not. We had a blast. JP really loved all the music and anything the lit up! We made friends with a family next to us and they got SO MUCH STUFF that they kept giving some to JP and he was just in AWE! He was rubbing his eyes and I’d say, “Baby, you ready to go home?” “No Mom, catch beads.”

W4hHugohHHgwO67mm9op3dNQ63F6bfL-7ou8oRDUjz5-qB9Tw35ftXoc1VrmBX-PDxJeoQoVP6G-fNYXODaFhQGive1eS5UAMFc0nNKR3eFkHiy0HjbZWQlYU_YjHOr1TIZItxbz

That was when he found a bead on the ground from the parade that was the night before. AND HE WAS SO EXCITED! ..Also before the rain. Notice: shirt made by me LOL I never miss an opportunity.

6d-6AeX0suYvLcuI0VkTMu72PMQxuCARhGk8eWhZQ9Iv1cGbTPsCKvE-IURYou3vY0ljVnGVosO6A0zdyBDdoivAKVfEW-BqZAYZS0wS2BEzxre_X1gC-WwATi4O_BEzS5yf1PGc

EVD4s0uAF7y1A313qnlmsZX9yr9lIq2j1nKUacS_PaLsA9C6k0X_oZ1_TEjuuUXKodXu3fs-QSh0tpDyig3vbp8LIaove35xQc3wg7V43O_Vud89CldIHXXiaIUlrhHcI-78bbVQ

1e3hdrYoDat-cdUjXJ4demVJR8tpaSgrYP4j6Zb40L-cSOg32D2HkQQoI84yNuQwVtSG-MCgUrNsf79oOnSEca5mOwSWj8zIkeXI1xiFmKCnUtat-UF9WmR2UGL1tLCn2EvzKM86

(Dad and Danielle in the Vette)

S6vIfTDd-OgbMts0_Wjj76w2zzBWrTb0zGhczf3QI_CXrY-FUMOvc66YaBBIoC0482jX3wyvGIHXLfaPtXyYppVEuNjEjqKe6MQdD1iYfRxWsirCVmEGsLvCsr3-yT0yYyoMTHtY

Then this past Friday was the preschool’s Mardi Gras Parade. Now most kids really go ALL out. This was the first year the daycare was open, so they invited the toddlers to ride in the parade. I let JP decorate his float with stickers. He enjoyed that, but really enjoyed taking them off, too! Ugh, toddlers. He also loved his “purple helmet”. I gave him a sucker before we started so he would stay in his truck, but as soon as we walked in the gym and the kids were screaming for beads, his face lit up. His BFF, Coco, was terrified. But not JP. He’s been a lover of excitement all his little life! Next year we will get crazy and build him something awesome for the parade! I’m thinking a Pope Mobile with “PJP3” on it. He goes to a Catholic school, so I think they’d appreciate the Catholic humor. Mom, of course, wants to do a Disney float. We will see what he’s into at that time. But here’s some fun pics from that!

I7MJKlfjdRGZ0ZvxSsEGBcA8P0jBlK7CkDjENBSlv0N3ILMwU1lU10d3WHG7HBxzzdP7IvklyQhBdOTTV55aLXSqgUdhvkkZIT4rWQH4ID5Vb86A2EkFSC4hAunkSgu8cUe7MikH

r2C740aOYuGeUdZAiRGlKwDmFUSPDQW6SXj5vuqxeROn4BtbnMpJUy47x0z12DBZOX6AoZCpno2bcmgaT-aab4aNl34U647xMdiGb98JzbYmfupRH0sjjbiXNApLAS_OTt6mElue

cYzT_xQziLjhS19Ho5opN9fheL4WQTsxFHAhVuRUGz8xBB3FxjZLNqiRpC2B8DAVX0EzVTjQj_Rg6QMlXlKkjOEvEY53Beobw1f7VYQClAodz5wc1KoJAxlsdsSroSBVT--dkC9_

dECHrdYNXKHCxqVGyj89nWJEJfUdop6fmV6nhYejyzKDuGlcEqXAxwtnk42_70OnkYZ9YBdOikc3J8VVYJJJ6wGDL0-3dXlXOOj9_-t4vxABbnmVQ-XwJtjWVHuy3EFhJyLCLYhp

OLVam1D9KcXSjySz3TRUSR-9muiVDuygJgXvKbLlPhQPH_-yKZD9sU2bYTts6OYCkTRAoBtnKKp1sAnTtTGuW44g13gxgnjQuyfX497YZyE0db2lm-jY7wNX55gmEaRditdSDsQd

One. Pretty risqué, no?

You say risque, I say boring.

Which part of Holy Grail did you want me to recite verbatim?
(No. Not really... but pretty close.)

You would have loved it! Lots of audience participation "Grail, Grail, Gail (umph)! Knights salute! Long Live the King!

I'm ejoying your trip report! Your family is adorable.

:welcome: and Thank you! Michelle knows how to bring the fun. I hope you stick around. We're planning our next trip for December. Planning lots more fun.

They left the baby at home, so G is really having some fun riding rides and getting some one-on-one time.

Good for her!

But since we were in town this year, we actually got to do a little Mardi Gras’ing here at home.

I must admit... I've obviously never been, having never been to NOLA before... and am a little afraid to. I am not big on massive crowds and... that's my impression.
Convince me otherwise.

they went to go buy throws

This would be beads?

Spoiler alert: HE LASTED THE WHOLE PARADE AND DIDNT WANT TO LEAVE!

Good for him! :)

Dad really enjoyed being in the parade, too. People would yell to him how cool his car was and what not.

:) Betting he really enjoyed that.

“Baby, you ready to go home?” “No Mom, catch beads.”

:laughing: Atta boy!

Definitely cool. Niiiiice.

You say risque, I say boring.

:laughing: Sorry!

You would have loved it! Lots of audience participation "Grail, Grail, Gail (umph)! Knights salute! Long Live the King!

:thumbsup2

I must admit... I've obviously never been, having never been to NOLA before... and am a little afraid to. I am not big on massive crowds and... that's my impression.
Convince me otherwise.

We didn't go hardcore Mardi Gras. We just did a parade in Baton Rouge. New Orleans in hardcore. I haven't done New Orleans in a long time. I also haven't done the Mamou Mardi Gras since Michelle was in high school. https://www.klfy.com/mardi-gras/201...-courir-de-mardi-gras-this-morning/1827978492 Danielle had her first New Orleans Mardi Gras this year. She went with a few friends. They shared an AIRB&B right off Canal. We took her to parades when she was little but this was her "big girl" experience. And she survived. She does have a sunburn.

I just keep thinking about those shorts you had that the red shirt bled on.

So tomorrow I'm headed to Atlanta with Danielle for the Disney College Program character tryouts. I'm not looking forward to the drive at all but kind of excited to see what the experience will be like. If they don't have a waiting area I'll just be dropping her off and waiting for her to call me to pick her up. It can last anywhere from 1 to 6 hours. She could be cut in the first hour. Please send lots of good thoughts that she does well. The tryouts are for a suit character, parade performer or for the very few a face character. I've already booked a room for 2 nights so no matter how it goes we're committed. Depending on how things go we've looked at a few options on what to do on Friday. No matter what we're headed home on Saturday after our free breakfast.

What's everyone else doing this weekend?

We didn't go hardcore Mardi Gras. We just did a parade in Baton Rouge. New Orleans in hardcore. I haven't done New Orleans in a long time. I also haven't done the Mamou Mardi Gras since Michelle was in high school. https://www.klfy.com/mardi-gras/201...-courir-de-mardi-gras-this-morning/1827978492 Danielle had her first New Orleans Mardi Gras this year. She went with a few friends. They shared an AIRB&B right off Canal. We took her to parades when she was little but this was her "big girl" experience. And she survived. She does have a sunburn.

Ah, okay. I like how it's called "courir de mardi gras" and not running of...
Sunburn... that really shocked me, actually.

I just keep thinking about those shorts you had that the red shirt bled on.

:laughing: That image has bled itself into your subconscious, has it?

:rolleyes1

So tomorrow I'm headed to Atlanta with Danielle for the Disney College Program character tryouts. I'm not looking forward to the drive at all but kind of excited to see what the experience will be like.

About an 8 hour drive!! (says Google Maps)
I see why you might not be exactly thrilled.

She could be cut in the first hour. Please send lots of good thoughts that she does well.

Consider it done!

What's everyone else doing this weekend?

Working Friday evening... Sat/Sun... probably doing chores around the house. Gotta do 'em when I can. Other than that... no real plans.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter