"Black Lives Matter" - it's stupid. Just cut the crap.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
There used to be.

I remember "Dade County" from Miami Vice. Of course it's Miami-Dade County now, so it was just a technical matter over the name.

Likening Miami to Cuba just shows that someone has no appreciation for the degree of diversification here. Miami is much more diverse, and much more sophisticated than that.

I heard it from someone of Cuban ancestry, and it was a joke. If I were talking to him on the phone, I wouldn't have been able to tell him from anyone with a non-regional American accent. Still - while I was visiting, I don't there was any place where I didn't hear Spanish being spoken, although I realize there are quite a few of Puerto Rican and Dominican ancestry. At the airport, ever single customer-facing employee seemed to being speaking Spanish, along with most of the passengers. At McDonald's, most of the orders were taken in Spanish. However, I never had a problem with anyone understanding me, with the exception of one Cuban restaurant where English was clearly optional.

You have said this sarcastically but the stastics have show that it is an exaggeration.
No one on this thread is saying there is no issue, that black people are being pulled over more etc and that does need to be dealt with.
But blacks are not being killed by police disproportionately.

Sorry missed some of your quote.
You mentioned about Asians and I wanted to point out that a few short generations ago Asians were treated like dirt, they were basically salves kn the railways and during the war were rounded up and sent to interment camps. Yet as a race they are not in the same position now, why?
Women within the same time frame were not allowed to vote or own property, in my mothers generation (a women in her 60s now) could not open a bank account without her husband or father signing it for her when she was an adult. And yet women in my generation are not blaming past injustices for our situations now.

Minnie Mom has been respectful in her
responses.

But again they are not, they are more likely to be dealing with the police in the first place but once the interaction has started the use of deadly force is a result of the actions of the person, plenty of white people shot for not complying with officer instructions.

So if they are dressed like a thug, and talk like a thug it's not rasist for me to assume they are a thug? I used qualifiers after all

As I have said before, while not belittling your families history it is just that. And for the States to move forward people need to come to peace with that history and move forward, much like the European Jews did after the Holocaust.
No one is suggesting it's forgotten or never discussed but unless people want to be in the same place in another 100 years it can't be forever the reason why x is happening.

So again, how is this any less racsist than a police officer saying this person dressed like a thug reminds me of every thug I have dealt with in my 30 plus years on the force, now he's no

I remember "Dade County" from Miami Vice.
You must be over 42!
I heard it from someone of Cuban ancestry, and it was a joke. If I were talking to him on the phone, I wouldn't have been able to tell him from anyone with a non-regional American accent.
It sneaks in subtly. You're talking and your buddy says, "Yea, bro -- I know just what you're talking about, pero..."

Still - while I was visiting, I don't there was any place where I didn't hear Spanish being spoken, although I realize there are quite a few of Puerto Rican and Dominican ancestry.
Here you go: https://www.miamidade.gov/planning/library/reports/data-flash/2011-hispanics-by-origin.pdf

In my experience, people who dress like thugs and try to talk gangsta...usually aren't. They're just wannabees.

Saw 3 of them in a Dairy Queen last week, each trying to outdo the others in the number of times they used the "N word." DD14 buried her head in my shoulder and giggled, "How do you keep a straight face???"

The way to detect real thugs is to check their eyes. "Watch eyes, always watch eyes!" Mr. Miyagi.

You must be over 42! It sneaks in subtly. You're talking and your buddy says, "Yea, bro -- I know just what you're talking about, pero..."

Here you go: https://www.miamidade.gov/planning/library/reports/data-flash/2011-hispanics-by-origin.pdf

I figure reverse-engineering my approximate age can be done by reading many of my posts.

As for my impression of those of Cuban ancestry, I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area and watched the circus that was (and still is) Jose Canseco. On my visit to the Miami area, I saw the street named after him. He was kind of what I imagined. He easily sounded like he might have grown up in California.

As for my impression of those of Cuban ancestry, I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area and watched the circus that was (and still is) Jose Canseco. On my visit to the Miami area, I saw the street named after him. He was kind of what I imagined. He easily sounded like he might have grown up in California.
Yeah, he's a mess...but a local boy. Unfortunately, troubled souls sometimes get streets named after them and the genuinely great guys like Alex Gonzalez or Mike Lowell don't.

Currently watching The President and the People -a national conversation on ESPN. Posters should check it out if they can and haven't watched it already.

Is Justin Beiber a thug he wears his pants sagging...IJS

Anyone wearing their pants down below their butt might be an aspiring thug, but certainly not a career criminal. If you commit multiple crimes, eventually you are going to have to run. If you run enough times, eventually they're going to drop to your ankles and you're going to do a face plant into the concrete or asphalt.

That's a lesson anyone only needs to learn once.

Anyone wearing their pants down below their butt might be an aspiring thug, but certainly not a career criminal. If you commit multiple crimes, eventually you are going to have to run. If you run enough times, eventually they're going to drop to your ankles and you're going to do a face plant into the concrete or asphalt.

That's a lesson anyone only needs to learn once.
Spoken from experience? ;)
I learn so many good tips on DIS - I'll need to remember this if I decide to start wearing stupid pants that fall down under my butt. . . and turn to a life of crime. . . and try to run from police.

Yeah, he's a mess...but a local boy. Unfortunately, troubled souls sometimes get streets named after them and the genuinely great guys like Alex Gonzalez or Mike Lowell don't.

The "North Cuba" comment was from a Cuban-American next to me at a Marlins game. I also talked to him about Canseco, and it was apparently that he and his emotional baggage are well known around Miami. That was also back when Dontrelle Willis and Miguel Cabrera were the team's stars. As for Canseco, I heard his name was removed from the street.

As an A's fan, we got to see a few Miami area players over the years. Yonder Alonso and Danny Valencia seem to get along pretty well. Dan Otero played for a few years too. None seemed to be the clown act that was Jose Canseco.

Again, specifically. other than insignia, what are gangster clothes?

Other than gang insignia I do not know what "gangster" clothes look like. I know about gang colors and tattoos, and symbols and emblems, so if you are saying people wearing those type of things, yes, people should be on their guard. So if you are saying people that advertise gang affiliation, I agree.

I am from NJ. The mob are very much considered "thugs" around here. Actually, to people in this area, they are the original definition of "thugs."

thug
THəɡ/
noun
  1. 1.
    a violent person, especially a criminal.
John Gotti fits this bill.

Gangsters around here would be member of the Blood, the Latin Kings, the Pagans, and the Warlocks. All have very distinct "colors" and insignia.

I am just telling you what I believe people are referring to. My eldest was in Jr High when Ice Tea and Ice Cube were rapping and Tupac was so very popular. He and his friends dressed like them or to some extent. Pants falling off, wife beaters, bandanas somewhere on their person (back then careful not to have red or blue, I am sure other colors would be off limits) certain caps.

My youngest was somewhere between goth and a modern day hippie. The oldest was accused of being in gang, the youngest of being satanic and a druggie. I get the whole judging by the way someone dresses. One of the most intelligent, well spoken and respectful kids I have had in my office dresses like a vampire.

But as my sons aged they realized that there is a lot to be said for dressing the way you want to be treated.

I can't tell you what a thug or gangster or gangsta dresses like but I bet if you ask one-they can tell you.

We did have a police officer come in and talk about spotting it and a lot of things you wouldn't think about but he knew.

I am just telling you what I believe people are referring to. My eldest was in Jr High when Ice Tea and Ice Cube were rapping and Tupac was so very popular. He and his friends dressed like them or to some extent. Pants falling off, wife beaters, bandanas somewhere on their person (back then careful not to have red or blue, I am sure other colors would be off limits) certain caps.

My youngest was somewhere between goth and a modern day hippie. The oldest was accused of being in gang, the youngest of being satanic and a druggie. I get the whole judging by the way someone dresses. One of the most intelligent, well spoken and respectful kids I have had in my office dresses like a vampire.

But as my sons aged they realized that there is a lot to be said for dressing the way you want to be treated.

I can't tell you what a thug or gangster or gangsta dresses like but I bet if you ask one-they can tell you.

We did have a police officer come in and talk about spotting it and a lot of things you wouldn't think about but he knew.

That's just a fact of life.

If you are dressed in such a way that a little red or blue added is going to make people think you are a gang member, then you have to expect people to assume that you might be a gang member. You can also expect law enforcement to pay a little closer attention to you and fairly assume that you are more likely to be involved in gang related criminal activities. That means you are more likely to be illegally armed and you're more likely to be willing to use your weapon than the typical citizen.

Really it should be "All Lives Matter!" Not just black, white, blue or what have you?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter