Biscuit's Grand Adventure | An epic tale three decades in the making!

Episode 76 - Hungry Biscuits and Hippos

Previously on Biscuit’s Grand Adventure, a solo excursion was made through the World Showcase, I was mistaken for myself, and the elusive green Kooky lanyard was obtained. This was our last full park day and as such, we planned to use it to do “pickups” and catch some of the attractions that we had missed.

There were three “must do” attractions on the girls' list: Kilimanjaro Safari, Beauty and Beast Live on Stage, and Honey I Shrunk the Audience. I had looked at the show schedule, and our plan was to head to Animal Kingdom first, grab lunch, see some hairy beasts, head to the Studios Formerly known as MGM, see another hairy beast, then close out the night at Epcot EMH and be assailed by miniature hairy beasts in the form of virtual mice. All of which meant that if things went according to plan, I would have begun my day at Epcot rope drop and ended it at Epcot EMH.

Although our vacation was winding down, we were all in high spirits that morning and eager to get cracking. The bus arrived fairly quickly and luckily it wasn’t crowded at all.

By the time we arrived at Disney’s Animal Kingdom it was already full on hot outside and I knew this was going to be another scorcher. As we were approaching the entrance, we saw Rafiki, Brer Rabbit and Brer bear. I wondered how it was that the cast members were surviving under all that fur. I also wondered how it was that Disney can feature characters and an attraction from Song of the South, but deem the film too offensive to be released in the US. It would seem that the two concepts would be mutually exclusive. But I digress.

DSC01721.JPG

DSC01723.JPG

Once we had our photos securely digitized it was time to head into the park.

With the triple hop planned for the day, I knew we wouldn’t make it if we relied on the girls’ walking speed; thus a stroller was in order. The best part about stroller days for me was that I could use the handy clips on the backpack to attach it to the handle bar of the stroller, and thereby reduce my load considerably. I slung my film camera on my neck and had already handed the digital to First Lady Biscuit before entering the park. Upon securing my passengers and cargo, I set out to conquer lunch.

DSC01729.JPG

My Mission Space woes had long since remedied and the morning walk had left me in dire need of refueling. As air conditioning was my primary pre-requisite and Kilimanjaro Safari was my final destination, Pizzafari was the port to which I navigated our crew. We docked the ship in stroller parking and proceeded into the galley to procure our mid-day mess. The line was not that long and the air was brilliantly chilled. Tahli stayed with me to help with the trays while Tracy and Hailee secured a dining location. Our tray came out with a lovely hidden Mickey on it, and it seemed incumbent upon us that we preserve the moment for future generations.

DSC01730.JPG

There was a time when Pizzafari was much maligned. This past Christmas, I was cleaning up a shelf and actually found an old guide I printed out for someone back in 2003. Pizzafari was #3 on the DIS top 10 Worst Restaurants on Property list. But I have to say, I liked it. The pizza was hot, the sauce wasn’t bad and overall, it really hit the spot. The girls enjoyed it as well so I’m pretty sure we’d return to this joint. Particularly since it is the only remaining air conditioned counter service restaurant in Animal Kingdom.

After finishing chow, it was time to load ‘em up and move ‘em out. Strolling back to the Safari entrance, one has to appreciate the detail that goes into this park. The themeing was awesome!

When we arrived at the queue, it was pretty well deserted so we didn’t bother with Fastpass. Within 20 minutes we were on board a truck and bouncing our way through the back end of Animal Kingdom. And boy I do mean bouncing. I feel sorry for anybody that rides that thing with hemorrhoids. That ought to be on the warning sign with heart conditions and such. I’m just saying.

I sat on one side with my film camera and Tracy sat on the other with the digital.

DSC01731.JPG

Our driver was apparently still in training as she had another driver sitting behind her who didn’t say anything to us, but would occasionally speak to her as we moved along.

With it being the time of day that it was, we didn’t see as many animals as I might have hoped, but we still saw quite a few.

0161_001.png

0162_002.png

Wonder if he sleeps tonight.

I really enjoyed this attraction and was glad that we had returned to Animal Kingdom to take it in.

Continued in Next Post.

Last edited:
After the safari, we exited to find ourselves staring at the beginning of Mickeys Jamming Jungle parade. There were several feet of open rope so the girls were able to get a front row view which they enjoyed thoroughly.

0164_001a.png

0164_001b.png

0164_002a.png

0164_002b.png

After the parade was over, I found it nearly impossible to navigate the double stroller against the sea of humanity that was flowing towards us. We paused a few minutes to let the crowds thin out and the girls ran to the facilities. While they were gone, I took in some of the details in this section of the park.

I had hoped to see Festival of the Lion King, but after schlepping that way, we wound up not getting in. Oh well, no biggie. Well add that the list for next time. Returning to the front gates, we checked in the stroller and paused on the way out to find the location of the bus stop for Disneys Hollywood studios. Disney really does make it easy to park hop and soon we were waiting on our next ride.

The wait time was not that long & we were soon underway, unaware that the next few hours would hold two of my favorite memories from this trip.

Coming up on Episode 77 Monsoons and Magic

Last edited:
Episode 77 Monsoons and Magic

Previously on Biscuit’s Grand Adventure, pizza was cleverly arranged, hairy beasts were spotted and a parade went jamming down the lane. It took us about 20ish minutes or so get from Animal Kingdom to The Studios Formerly Known as MGM.

DSC01756.JPG

Our first order of business was to cash in our receipt for another stroller. Knowing we’d be sitting a while, Tracy insisted the girls stop by the facilities “just in case” and before long came back out for the camera. It seems Hailee had been enamored with the kid’s sinks all week and wanted to take a picture of them.

DSC01759.JPG

She thought it was SOO cool that she could reach it without a stepstool.

From there, we headed to Sunset Blvd and the Theater of the Stars.

DSC01758.JPG

We wound up sitting in the far left section about 1/3 of the way up. There was a bit of drama before the show began as the humidity was on overdrive and both girls were hot. Mister fans were soon blowing at maximum capacity and thankfully things did not boil over into a full on meltdown. Once the show finally began, the girls settled down and were okay.

R1-14.jpg

R1- 2b.jpg

R1- 1.jpg

The last time we saw this show was in 1997 and I didn’t realize all the updates that have been done. I have to say, I found the changes to the show to be a bit annoying. In particular, I like the old ending where the Beast visually transformed into the price onstage. It was cool, entertaining, wowing, nifty even. The whole “two dudes with a giant hanky” thing just wasn’t doing it for me. Progress. Sheesh.

After the show, we headed back towards the animation plaza to hit up the Magic of Disney Animation. The preshow was okay and the display area was certainly novel. I found out which Disney Character I was supposed to be, but have since forgotten. And we saw the Up displays even though we missed meeting the characters.

DSC0176b2.jpg

Unfortunately, we had missed the start of the animation class and didn’t want to wait for the next one. As a whole though, I just wasn’t that into this attraction. I missed the old Animation tour. The one I already eulogized earlier in this report. Progress. Sheesh.

(Though I must say in reading other TR’s I think I would enjoy it a lot more if I did the animation class.)

We stopped at a cart on the way back to the gates and grabbed some ice cream bars.

DSC01766.JPG

By this time the air was like a sauna and the clouds that were rolling in left little doubt that the rain was on the way.

We were done with DHS for this trip and needed to get to Epcot.

DSC01773.JPG

This not being my first rodeo, I knew that if we could find a way to extend our travel time, we’d stand a good chance of the storm blowing over by the time we made it to the park. Where do you go when want to extend your travel time from DHS to Epcot? The boat dock of course.

We had just managed to get under the tarp over the waiting area when the sprinkles began.

DSC01776.JPG

Fortunately this gave us time to all get ponchoed up. Unfortunately, this led to a problem. Hailee’s poncho ripped. Not just a little slit either, that thing tore a good six inches right down the middle of the front. This did not sit well with her. One thing about Hailee is that she freaks out if her stuff is not like she thinks it should be. The heat of the day, the escalating thunderstorm and this latest tragedy were just more than her little heart could bear. She didn’t have a screaming meltdown, but she was in tears. I carried her onto the boat and she cried pretty much all the way to the Swan.

We of course felt bad for her and offered to get her a new one at the park. This was not sitting well however as her poncho was a pink one with princesses that we had bought before we left home and she wanted the EXACT same one. Observing this exchange was Bill, one of the crewman on the boat. Bill was the guy who jumped out and tied up the boat when it reached the dock. On the way over from DHS to the SWAN, Bill came over and asked us what was wrong with Hailee. We explained the situation and he told us we could exchange it in any gift shop for a new one. We thanked him, but advised him we hadn’t bought it on property. When we got to the Swan, I saw him pull out a phone on the dock and I had an idea of what he might be doing.

I was all butterflies for the next 20 minutes. When we reached Epcot, Bill came over and asked us to wait to exit the boat. When we go to the dock, a lady met us with a sack and handed it to Bill. It was a brand new Disneyworld poncho for Hailee. She was a bit cold on the idea I’m afraid as she is extremely shy around strangers. We thanked him profusely and tried to get Hailee to smile, but she just muttered a quiet thank you. It took us a few minutes to get it all situated on her and gather up our gear. Bill went to finish with the boat, then we saw him again as we headed to the gates. We gave him another thank you and Hailee did give a little wave this time.

Tracy was stunned. I was a bit surprised myself. There once was a time when such stories were commonplace. I’m hoping that they become so again. As we talked about it on the way into the park, I told her that this was why I loved Disney so much.

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:
Right as we made it through the gates, the skies opened up again and it started to POUR. The benefit to this was that the crowds around World Showcase Lagoon began to quickly disperse and we were able to score a great spot for Illuminations just a few minutes before the show. It actually began on time, even though it was still raining. This was my first time to see this show and we all loved it. Due to the rain, I didn’t get any photos, but you’ve no doubt seen them before on many threads around these parts.

After the show ended, we got a photo of Hailee in her new duds and then headed off to find something for supper.

DSC01780.JPG

We wound up at the Electric Umbrella just as EMH was beginning. It was actually nice to just sit and relax for a few minutes while the massive herd outside was exiting the park.

Tracy and I had cheeseburgers and the girls got nuggets, but we didn’t take any photos at that point. While they girls were finishing up, I set out to procure our third double stroller of the day. After returning and collecting the crew, it was time to hit up some attractions. Future World was still a bit crowded, so we headed to World Showcase. Along the way, the girls discovered puddles.

DSC01782.JPG

Notice the peeling paint the background? Progress. Sheesh.

Splashing quota now filled, we made our way over to the Norway pavilion. That’s right. I rode Maelstrom. On purpose. I had a feeling the girls would love it and they did. They squealed and laughed like crazy when the boat went backwards. The line itself was a complete walk on and we had a boat all to ourselves.

DSC01781.JPG

Upon exiting we squashed some pennies before making our way to the pyramid in Mexico. I had never been inside this pavilion before, but I had heard several comments about the “Mexican It’s a Small World.” I figured the kids would get a kick out of it and again, they did. We had another total walk on and again had a boat all to ourselves. I was feeling the EMH Love!

DSC01784.JPG

On the way out, we discovered a KidCot station. True to form, the girls spent quite a bit of time creating some masks for themselves. We were there a good thirty minutes or more here and they would have been there longer had I not pushed them out to the door. (They DO love their art.)

DSC01790.JPG

Between our leisurely meal, puddle splashing, walking and mask making we had eaten up a good chunk of time. We had just under an hour left of EMH left at that point. Crossing the park, my plan was to hit Honey I Shrunk the Audience, Journey, and then make a mad dash to Test Track. We arrived at the Journey Pavilion and went into the Honey I Shrunky pre-show. During the pre-show, Tahli seemed fidgety so I asked her is she needed to go potty. She assured me she did not and was just “extra excited.” Just as the doors were opening to go in, she got a look of panic and needed to go NOW. We’ve learned with her that you can’t put it off at that point.

Tracy and Hailee went on into the theater and I ran Tahli to the facilities. (Which are down the ramp and around on the backside of the building.) After spending a few moments waiting outside of Jordanyosh’s favorite restrooms, I finally saw Tahli emerge with all minds and other relative parts clear.

Needless to say we didn’t make it back in time. The CM was unable to let us in so we were stuck waiting for the next show. (The last one of the night.) I was a bit irritated at that point. I knew there was no way now that we would be able to make it over to Test Track. The last showing of HISTA let out like two minutes before the park closed.

I sent Tracy a message to take Hailee onto Journey Into Imagination with Figment after their show and I would stay with Tahli on HISTA. As we sat watching the preshow, I have may have been less than chipper. Perhaps there was even some sulking. Tahli was sitting next to me on the floor and being very quiet. As we sat and watched the pre-show, I suddenly realized what I was watching. It’s a clip put together by Kodak that features a Dad at his daughter’s wedding reminiscing on her growing up and all the memories they share. Suddenly I felt kind of oafish and pulled Tahli up and my lap, gave her a big hug, told her how much I loved her and how proud I was to be her dad. Then I thanked God that I was privileged enough to be here with my family.

It was just what I needed to bring the trip back into perspective. The reason I came wasn’t to conquer rides or to rush to every dining reservation or to watch every show. I came to spend time with my girls. My purpose was to let them know how much they meant to me and to hopefully create in them memories that will last a lifetime.

When Tahli and I finally entered the theater, there were all of 9 people in there. We definitely had our pick of spots. Once the show started, I got a message from Tracy. They wouldn’t let her on Journey because it was EMH and I had all the tickets. I advised her to wait by the entrance and as soon as this one was over, we’d fly like the wind and try to make it on. Was HISTA worth all the drama? Nope. But it’s off our list. And in the end, if I had it to do over again, I wouldn’t change a thing. Well….maybe I’d give Tracy the tickets, but other than that, no.

When it seemed the end of the show was thankfully near, I grabbed Tahli and we hustled to the side doors. The moment they began to wiggle, we burst through and lumbered down the ramp. I’ll say this about us fat boys…you get us moving down hill and we can pick up quite a bit of momentum. I made it the Journey Entrance just in time and we were admitted as the last riders of the evening. Woot!

The girls loved it again.

DSC01812.JPG

Epcot had officially closed by the time we exited so there was not a chance to pick up a Figment plush for Hailee. Good thing Santa knew she still wanted one and left it peeking out of her stocking on Christmas morning. (We jolly guys got each other’s back you know.)

We headed back through the deserted walkways of Future World towards the Pop bus stop.

DSC01820.JPG

Of all the parks we had been in for EMH, this was the least crowded it had ever been. (I’m guessing the rain helped with that, plus the fact that we avoided Mission Space, Test Track and Soarin, DHS was showing Fantasmic, and the park is much more spread out.) Our final full day had been a rip-roaring success.

We grabbed a bus and by the time we got back to the Pop Century, both girls were out. Good thing I’d been able to skip the backpack that day. I carried Tahli and Tracy carried Hailee. Once back in the room, we got the girls into bed and packed up our stuff for checkout the following day. We talked about what a great week it had been and began tossing around ideas for our next visit.

Finally around 2:00ish I fell into bed and was OUT. Doing rope drop to EMH had officially done me in. But not quite so effectively as the culinary concoction I would consume the next day which would serve to ignite a startling disturbance in the force.

Coming up on Episode 78 – The Beginning of the End.

Last edited:

You wore me out just reading about your triple park hopping in the heat, humidity, and rain! But you had an awesome family afternoon/evening, it sounds like!

And I totally agree about Song of the South. :rolleyes1

Uh oh about the disturbance in the force. :scared1:

Ok, I have been MIA of late. Got all caught up though! That is SO cool about the poncho!! things like that make me love Disney...

I think I might have a tear in my eye. Wonderful update, wonderful day! I don't think I have every hit 3 parks in one day. You did it with style. We missed Beauty and the Beast this last trip, I'm so glad you got to share it with your girls. On Danielle's first trip to the World she loved the small sinks. I think she went into the bathroom just to find them. What a special moment for Hailee! This is why we love Disney too. I'm glad you got to spend some special father daughter time too. Thanks for a wonderful update.

Wow, Wow, and wow!!!

Awesome EMH again!!

3 cheers for Bill!! If he treats everyone like that, he'll keep his job a long time!

So Pizzafari is the only one with AC. Got that noted!

I'd say overall, you kept your must-do's to a very manageable level, and hurrah for doing them all- 3 jumps in one day is a great feat. Esp. in that kind of heat!

Love the "perspective moment" you got to have. Those make it all worth it, don't they?

Hooray for updates! It was so nice of Bill to get the new poncho for Hailee, I bet it will be a good memory for her as she gets older, even if she doesn't appreciate it much now! Wow for hopping to three different parks with the girls in tow, it sounds like you had it really well planned out though. I'm glad you had such a good last day! Hoping the stomach thing doesn't get you too far down though.. popcorn::

What that boat captain did was so sweet! That's why I love Disney, too!

Don't you just love Epcot at night? I always feel like I'm walking around in the model of Walt's vision of a city of tomorrow - you know, the one the show on the TTA? Something very nostalgic / futuristic about it, if that's possible.

Great update :thumbsup2

On pins and needles, my migrain-y friend...
Hopefully I didn’t keep you waiting too long!

You wore me out just reading about your triple park hopping in the heat, humidity, and rain! But you had an awesome family afternoon/evening, it sounds like!
It was hands down the most tiring day of the trip, but it was SO worth it.

And I totally agree about Song of the South. :rolleyes1
It is an odd contradiction.

Uh oh about the disturbance in the force. :scared1:
It’s a fun story.

Ok, I have been MIA of late. Got all caught up though!
Hey Bekka!

That is SO cool about the poncho!! things like that make me love Disney...
Yay, Bill!
What a special moment for Hailee! This is why we love Disney too.
3 cheers for Bill!! If he treats everyone like that, he'll keep his job a long time!
Hooray for updates! It was so nice of Bill to get the new poncho for Hailee, I bet it will be a good memory for her as she gets older, even if she doesn't appreciate it much now!
What that boat captain did was so sweet! That's why I love Disney, too!

Those are the moments that you can’t really describe to those who don’t share the love. How do you quantify Disney magic?

Awesome updates GB !!
Hey Rosie! Thanks!

Great updates, GB!
Thanks! Got your PM on the BBQ trail. That sounds like a tasty way to spend the day.

I think I might have a tear in my eye. Wonderful update, wonderful day!
I certainly had one in mine.

On Danielle's first trip to the World she loved the small sinks. I think she went into the bathroom just to find them.
Don’t you just love seeing how kids respond to things? Who knew?!

So Pizzafari is the only one with AC. Got that noted!
Happy to be of service.

I'd say overall, you kept your must-do's to a very manageable level, and hurrah for doing them all- 3 jumps in one day is a great feat. Esp. in that kind of heat!
It was a fun challenge that’s for sure, but definitely draining. I’m glad we didn’t do it earlier in the trip.

Love the "perspective moment" you got to have. Those make it all worth it, don't they?
That they do.

Hoping the stomach thing doesn't get you too far down though.. popcorn::
It was more of a downer for those around me I’m afraid.

Don't you just love Epcot at night? I always feel like I'm walking around in the model of Walt's vision of a city of tomorrow - you know, the one the show on the TTA? Something very nostalgic / futuristic about it, if that's possible.
I do. I didn’t know just how much I liked this park until this trip.

what a way to spend the final day enjoyed it thoughouly

spelled that wrong
:laughing:
It was an awesome last day. Don’t feel bad. If I had a nickel for every typo I’ve had to go back and fix on this TR, I could finance my next trip.

Awesome update GB!

FROM GB's UPDATE: "Then I thanked God that I was privileged enough to be here with my family. ... My purpose was to let them know how much they meant to me and to hopefully create in them memories that will last a lifetime. "

That's beautiful. I try to remind myself to do just that each time we have "not so happy moments" at Disney :goodvibes

Must be something with the boat captain's, when we were in DTD this Sept getting on a boat, my DS-3 was about to have a meltdown from the long trip and late lunch. Our boat captain, to the other end of DTD, noticed this and averted a crisis by making my son the "Honorary Captain" giving him a captain's hat and letting him "ring" the bell/horn to signal our departure from the dock. Gotta love Disney CM's!!! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter