Birds at Flame Tree BBQ

Nohal

DIS Veteran
I used to enjoy eating at the Flame Tree BBQ but the last time the birds were out of control. Just extremely annoying and begging for food. Wish people wouldn't feed them. Its been a few years since I ate there but was wondering if the birds are still around begging for food?

Last edited:
I used to enjoy eating at the Flame Tree BBQ but the last time the birds were out of control. Just extremely annoying and begging for food. Wish people wouldn't fee them. Its been a few years since I ate there but was wondering if the birds are still around begging for food?
We ate there in April and I don't remember birds being a problem.

But I do agree on principle, people who feed birds at outdoor restaurants are thoughtless.

Last edited:

We ate there about 10 months ago. On our visit, I wouldn't say they were out of control but they were scattered here and there wanting food.

I've never eaten there when I didn't have to chase some of those pesky critters away. I really don't like having birds hovering around me while I'm trying to eat. If people would pay attention to the many signs posted telling them not to feed the birds & animals there wouldn't be such a huge problem.

Even if people did not feed them, food falls on the floor all the time. Plus, it's very often the children who pass down food, sometimes parents do not see.

They were there in May. We make sure to shoo them away as soon as they even look in our direction, but there were people there again a few seats away feeding them. It doesn't stop us from eating there, we just try to pay attention to how close they get. I'm not sharing my food!
The big white birds outside of Pecos Bill are just as bad, and people still feed them.

I remember one year in AK passing the stroller parking area for the safari and seeing lots of birds jumping from stroller to stroller eating food that was left out. It was crazy!

The worst problem I ever had with a bird at WDW was at HS, when one flew by and snatched a potato chip out of my hand.

My favorite bird food stealer was at mk. At the snack area by liberty bell, a crow grabbed a bag of chips, flew to the roof over the stand area and enjoyed his own bag. He was a pro

The birds have gotten more aggressive over the years. Nobody wants a beak bite during lunch

This all reminds me of a sign I saw at a restaurant in Old Town San Diego when I was a kid. It was a Mexican restaurant with outdoor seating that was popular with pigeons. The sign said: "There once was a fellow named Rocco, and a pigeon who wanted his taco. Said Rocco these words: "We don't feed the birds, for fear it might bring a whole flocko." (Yes, I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday, but I can remember this sign word for word forty years later.)

I've always seen birds at Flame Tree. I just recently ate at Y&Y and had the same problem. I'll talk to them, but I won't feed them. I was on a solo trip and enjoyed the company. I hate when I see people feeding them. I really hate it when a parent is watching their kids feed the birds and laughing or egging them on.
I just witnessed a bird eating goldfish crackers out of an empty stroller the other day. I thought, I should shoo him away, but I know as soon as I did that he'd come back as soon as I walked away. They are brave there!

I do! Seriously, I have a bird phobia. LOL!

It has kept me out of Flame Tree all these years. I wish it had an indoor dining area that didn't contain live birds.

My daughter has a bird phobia too! We only eat inside at AK. Even the flock of parrots that swoop overhead at park open terrifies her so we wait in a store until they pass. I have yet to see the bird show because that is definitely not in her urging plan

My daughter has a bird phobia too! We only eat inside at AK. Even the flock of parrots that swoop overhead at park open terrifies her so we wait in a store until they pass. I have yet to see the bird show because that is definitely not in her urging plan

Flights of Wonder? Not a chance I'm seeing that.

I was terrorized by birds at the outdoor Yak & Yeti. Flame Tree is supposed to be a lot worse, and it's a bummer because the food sounds good.

There have always been large numbers of birds at Flametree. I ignore them & don't make eye contact. They walk under my table & around my feet for a few mins and then leave for better pickings. Years ago, a man set his tray down at the table next to mine, decided he had to get utensils, asked me to "keep an eye" on his food & then left. Yikes! Within 30 seconds, a large white ibis landed on his chair & surveyed the ribs. I waved my arms at it & yelled at the man to get back to his table. Don't think he'll ever leave his food unattended again. And don't think I'll ever agree to watch someone's food again.

They are a problem at Flame Tree. We last ate there in June and had to fight them.
They are a problem at all other outdoor restaurants we've been to at Disney too

Worse we ever saw was at Epcot, by the water near UK, by Yorkshire Fish place. Lady was starting to eat her fish and right as she brought it to her mouth a bird flew up and took it right out of her hand while the food was half way in her mouth

Wonder if something can be done for her at this early age, birds are lovely, it is a shame there are people who are afraid of them. I imagine people who are phobic had been traumatized at a young age and it stuck with them for life.

We were there two weeks ago and didn't have any issues with birds. However we always have issues at Casey's at MK and La Cantina de San Angel in Epcot. But that isn't surprising since you typically see MANY people feeding the birds while they sit next to the sign that says "Please do not feed the birds." My favorite bird scenario is when you see parents laughing and smiling as they watch their children feed the birds as the sit next to the "Please do not feed the birds" sign then go crazy and start freaking out on the birds when one of them gets too close and scares one of their kids or steals food off the table. You can always see it coming.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter