Bill Cosby’s conviction overturned - will be released today

2 1/2 years wasn’t nearly long enough, but I’m glad he served some time at least. It sounds like because of the prior deal he legally probably shouldn’t have served any time at all. Morally is a whole other story.

I believe Cosby got swept up in the first wave of the #MeToo movement. I'm not saying he's 100% innocent, but I also don't think he's 100% guilty as defined by the standards of the time. Drug and sex parties were a thing, especially in Hollywood. And power differentials were not a thing--my mom was a mental health therapist in a smallish town in the 80s, and her male boss, a licensed psychologist, used to chase her around the desk trying to grab her butt. She thought it was funny. So did my dad. When you look at the actual evidence as compared to the standards of when the behavior occurred, Cosby's actions were questionable at best. But forced testimony combined with a huge wave of public opinion against anything that could be considered a sex crime under modern standards, and there you have it.

Oh, and for the record, I'm not anti-#MeToo. I'm a sexual assault survivor myself. That doesn't mean I don't think it can be taken too far--see Amber Heard destroying Johnny Depp.
This isn't a matter of different times were different. What occurred was always wrong, was never okay to brush it off not then not now.

Being chased around the desk having your butt being grabbed at was not okay then either.

Sexual assault was NEVER okay. But how sexual assault was DEFINED was different. And these women were basically groupies. They were SIGNING UP for drugs and sex. Shall we prosecute every musician who ever had a drug and sex party in their tour bus too? But I get it. We're in a moral panic. Ritual Satanic abuse was never okay either. Remember that moral panic? And then when the dust settled, exactly ZERO children had been locked in basements at their daycare centers and raped and sacrificed? But a lot of people's lives had been ruined during the panic.
No, no and no.

You are obviously entitled to your opinion and viewpoint on the subject (and I can respect that it's your viewpoint even if I vehemently disagree with it), they are however a crucial reason why it took so long for women to even be listened to. The Me Too Movement shouldn't even be brought into the conversation as if the movement is the problem. It's not.

The good: he's 83 and not likely to pose more of a threat to society.
The bad: He's obviously guilty.
The ugly: His victims don't get justice.
The sentence was 3 to 10 years and he served 3 so they did get justice as it was laid out. I don't approve of that behavior either but the man is old, he lost all the respect he had worked for all his life, he paid out millions in civil decisions and is going to live out the rest of his days with the shame. He didn't exactly get off scott free. I can, at 73, tell you that the world was a lot different back then. Things like that were not judged the same way at the time. I'd guess that based on todays norms almost all of us would be looking through bars at this point. It may have been a moral issue back then but it wasn't a legal one.

I 100 perecetn agree with everyone but I still feel sorry for him, he so old, go have some Jello Bill

Even groupies, sluts, and prostitutes don’t sign up to be drugged and have sex without their consent, and NEVER did.

So GTFOH with your “it was a different time”
bull crap.
The chances are they didn't resist it either until they found out the the only way to gain something "extra" was to tell all. It takes two to do that stuff and you have to first know how and why those women were at the place where it happened. Just because you wouldn't have done anything like that, doesn't mean that all women wouldn't. The Prostitutes were probably doing that to get drugs, so I guess more then one can throw false concern GTFOH bullcrap.

I believe Cosby got swept up in the first wave of the #MeToo movement. I'm not saying he's 100% innocent, but I also don't think he's 100% guilty as defined by the standards of the time. Drug and sex parties were a thing, especially in Hollywood. And power differentials were not a thing--my mom was a mental health therapist in a smallish town in the 80s, and her male boss, a licensed psychologist, used to chase her around the desk trying to grab her butt. She thought it was funny. So did my dad. When you look at the actual evidence as compared to the standards of when the behavior occurred, Cosby's actions were questionable at best. But forced testimony combined with a huge wave of public opinion against anything that could be considered a sex crime under modern standards, and there you have it.

Oh, and for the record, I'm not anti-#MeToo. I'm a sexual assault survivor myself. That doesn't mean I don't think it can be taken too far--see Amber Heard destroying Johnny Depp.
What on earth was wrong with your parents?
Feel bad for your mom’s poor clients!
They obviously didn’t have a professional with a full deck,

giving them the benefit of doubt perhaps they were friends (or having inter marital affair) but that was NOT accepted office behaviour in the 80s.

Last edited:
If I recall, many of the women had come to his home to seek career advice from him - as Dr Huxtable on TV on a show that everybody watched, a doctorate-level educator in real life, and the wholesome Jello representative, among other good things, he was a revered and trusted figure in the entertainment industry in those days and many sought his mentorship and advice. (Which is supposed to make it worse, isn’t it?) And in many cases, his wife Camille was home in the same house, in another room. Many felt she looked the other way.

PS My son met him one day and he had brought food with him to give to people who were working for him. By all accounts he was a very nice man. (Or so people thought.)

Just in case anyone cares...

The BBC were covering this. Except they got it wrong, They went live to the prison that Cosby had left and announced that "Bill Clinton was now a free man".

Whoopsie.

Ok, now that is funny. I wonder if that wasn't an accident? After all, we all knew his nickname was Slick Willie before the first election.

This post is disgusting. I don't even know what to say. I don't understand your parents' sense of humor.

Especially from someone who claims to be a survivor of sexual assault, this is beyond the pale.

The victims should be just as angry at the prosecutor that appeared to have violated his right to due process. I'm no lawyer but the summary provided by the court (I'm not reading the whole thing) seems pretty straight forward. Had they not used the deposition against him he would still be in jail.

It is possible to think someone is guilty (I do) but their due process was violated (I do) and their verdict needs set aside.

Had they not used his deposition, they wouldn't have had a case.

I’m DISgusted but I DO believe in the Rule of Law. So we Should be Furious with the Prosecutirs and legal eagles that royally messed this Up! DISgraceful.
he was Not released for Innocence.. he ALREADY TESTIFIED UNDER OATH THAT HE DRUGGED AND RAPED.. he’s Scott free because of a technicality… you don’t promise a defendant /make a deal you won’t be prosecuted , then turn and Prosecute!
the LAW should rule, the deal should stay. Holding the Law is JUST, but it still sickens me that ..a rapist walks free, women may Not come forward and they once again feel .. so many things. I PRAY that any woman who has lived thru this HORROR can find the strength to Persevere! So sad.
let’s PRAY, HOPE that the Pending legislation PASSES, so that there CAN be CIVIL SUITS filed to WIPE HIM OUT FINANCIALLY! We need this legislation PASSED!

Disappointing to say the least.

At this point he needs to shut up and disappear from any public view and just quietly fade away. No book deal. No interviews. Just SHHHHHHHHHH the heck up until you die.
But he won’t… they have already said it was because of his race , that they dogged him. It won’t end.. wish he did, in jail. Sickening result.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter