Biggest Loser "Sizzlin' Hot" Summer Challenge

QOTD My fitness buddies are my headphones and my music.
DS16 will run with me on occasion but now that school is back in session, I'm on my own.

This is my baby, Popcorn. Sadly he passed away in 2005. We have been pet free since then. The kids want a dog but we just don't have time to dedicate to one now.

popcorn1.jpg

QOTD: I like to work out alone w/ my music so i can sing at the top of my lungs or what ever with no one looking at me like a crazy person.

Here is my spoiled rotten pom Bosley he's 10 years old and the boss of my house.
232323232fp73455_nu3392_9_2__2_WSNRCG3437633_9343nu0mrj.jpg

This is 2 years go we don't get a lot of snow here in SC.

Question of the day Monday 8/27/2012

No more excuses! Today's question involves looking at your most common excuses for not working out or eating healthy and asking yourself what those excuses are, why do you make those excuses, and what can you do to change that?

QOTD: I'm too tired has been used a lot this summer. Skipping elliptical today as I took 2 walks. I drove my car to the shop this morning and then walked home. This afternoon Ash and I walked back to the shop to pick it up. So I got about 50 minutes of walking in.

Took the girls to see The Off Life of Timothy Green! What a beautiful movie! Ash and I both cried! Ate too much popcorn! Ash was dying to have popcorn since she now doesn't have her braces on. We picked up her retainer this morning before running errands and going to the movies.

Giving 4 massages tomorrow. Tomorrow night will be leftovers as Ash is going to a pizza party for soccer. I have two burgers that didn't get cooked tonight and some salad left.

I need to get some stuff into the attic and I may bring a few boxes down to go through and see what I can get rid of! Big Brothers and Big Sisters is coming by on Friday so the more I can get rid of the better!

TTFN :tigger:

Here we celebrate our progress and recognize our superstars.

Reminders:
-after 3 weeks of no reporting, you are dropped from the challenge & can re-start at any time, though
-if anybody knows they will miss weighing in, just PM and let me know and you'll be marked excused

First some stats

MAINTAINERS:
(staying within 2 lbs of their maintain weight is successfully maintaining!)
# of Maintainers Reporting In & Successfully Maintaining: 2
Congratulations jillbur & Rose&Mike!!!

LOSERS:
Current Participants-------------32!
not reporting in for 1 week-----8
not reporting in for 2 weeks----5
not reporting in for 3 weeks----5
Excused--------------------------2
weigh ins-------------------------12
gains-----------------------------1
maintains------------------------5
losses----------------------------6
new or returning members ----0

Biggest Loser "Sizzlin' Hot" Summer Challenge Week 12!
This week’s group loss = 3.7 pounds
Average percentage of weight lost 0.13 %
Total group weight loss so far 245.8 pounds!

AWESOME!

Retention Rate (compared to the 58 participants we had sign up for our start week on June 1st)
28% (this includes the Losers, Maintainers and Excused people!). Let's keep sending those weights people!

Before the weekly superstar list comes the disclaimer. I am human and I make mistakes. If you have any questions please contact me. For your reference this is the magic percentage of weight lost formula - weight loss for the week divided by weight for last week times 100, that gives us the percentage. Now let me test that with my numbers for week 1, click, click, click goes the calculator. Yes, that agrees with the percentage on the magic spreadsheet. (btw if its been more than 1 week between weigh-ins, then the % loss is divided by the number of weeks, to keep everybody on the same basis)

Now let's get to the good stuff. Who were our superstars of week 12?

The WISH Biggest Loser "Sizzlin' Hot" Summer 2012 Challenge Week 12 Superstars!!
#10 - N/A
#9 - N/A
#8 - N/A
#7 - N/A
#6 - 0.06% - sissy ib
#5 - 0.20% - 6ofus2
#4 - 0.52% - lmhall2000
#3 - 0.59% - bigsis1970
#2 - 0.80% - Disneywedding2010

and now
The WISH Biggest Loser "Sizzlin' Hot" Summer 2012 Challenge Week 12
Biggest Loser is:
#1 - 1.26% - KDIPIAZZ

Quote from Dare2Dream: How is your week going? Are you OP (on program)? Are you exercising? Drinking that water? You know what to do to make the magic happen. Get on the wagon. We are all here to help you on the journey. We can do this one day at a time. One bite at a time.

Have a healthy day! Congratulations KDIPIAZZ!!!
What a great week you had. Keep up the good work. We have a very special clippie reserved for our weekly Biggest Loser. Wear it with pride this week! :

This is our weekly reigning Biggest Loser clippie. We have the large version

31040weeklyBLsmall1.jpg

or use this
http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/data/500/31040weeklyBLsmall1.jpg
followed by

or we have a medium version

31040weeklyBLmed.jpg

or use this
http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/data/500/31040weeklyBLmed.jpg
followed by

and we have a small version

31040weeklyBLsm.jpg

or use
http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/data/500/31040weeklyBLsm.jpg
followed by

Thanks to ohMom-Molli for these clippies. They were used for a previous BL but we can recycle. Don't they look great!

NOW FOR THOSE OF US WHO SET A GOAL FOR THE CHALLENGE!!!

NOTE: This list includes participants who have reported in within the last 3 weeks, once someone misses 3 weigh-ins they are dropped from this report.

How this works: You set your goal for what you want to lose in the challenge. Then I calculate your weight loss in the challenge divided by your goal to get a % to goal.

Anybody can change their goal at anytime (or add a goal) – all you have to do is send me a PM.

Since the goals are an individual thing, the list is just in alphabetical order to make it easier for everybody to find their own name. If there are any questions or suggestions please let me know.

We have done 12 out of 13 weeks, so the challenge is 92% complete.

6ofus2 - 111.38 :woohoo:
bigsis1970 - 8.00
camnham - 30.85
ChelleyB - 36.92
Chicago262 - 80.95
disappearing otter - 89.78
Disneywedding2010 - 46.15
dvccruiser76 - 0.00
KDIPIAZZ - 184.62
kollerbear - 5.71
lmhall2000 - 69.33
Mary.Poppins - 0.00
MickeyMagic - 17.76
mommyof2Pirates - 52.50
Octoberbride03 - 25.00
ougrad86 - 5.56
sissy ib - 88.24
tigger813 - 68.00
tiki23 - 30.67
Zoesmama03 - 16.52

I find everybody on the list an inspiration and everybody who participates in this challenge is an inspiration in and of themselves. Whether you post, lurk or just pm your weight and check results on Tuesdays, you have made a commitment to yourself. And that is the biggest inspiration of all!BY Octoberbride03

No more excuses! Today's question involves looking at your most common excuses for not working out or eating healthy and asking yourself what those excuses are, why do you make those excuses, and what can you do to change that?

Not enough time.
LAME EXCUSE!!!!

Why - cause I'm lazy

change - Just do it!!!

I'm not giving excuses. If I don't want to go to exercise class, I make myself go for a walk/jog. Since I prefer the class, I go. As for eating, I'm on WW so I can have anything I want - just not all on the same day. WW has really given me an education and I make better choices

Morning all!!

Do y'all hear that?????? Yeah, me neither. My house is quiet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First day of school for the little ones. Lots of new families and a lot of them were big families like mine. YAY!! DS16 slept over at a friends house so it is peaceful here.
DD totally blew me off this morning, LOL. As soon as she saw her friends she was like, OK you can go now. Gee thanks! :rotfl2:

So now I am back at it for fitness and food. I need to get my butt in gear. DH asked me this morning if I had given up on my diet because I wasn't journalling. OH, bite me big guy!! No I just got sidetracked but I'm back in the saddle again!

Good for you. My house is quiet right now too.... but that is because everyone is still asleep!!:lmao: DS has Freshman Fest tomorrow and wanted to sleep in for his last day. DD said she'd be up by 8am, but haven't seen her yet.

I need to rededicate myself to this journey as well. Hopefully the fall challenge can be great for you and I!!

I do fairly well with the food, so not a lot of excuses there. But exercise..... I hate it and will find any and every excuse known to man. I have been doing this for over 4 years and I KNOW that I go through exercise-slumps at times (like for the past three weeks) and I also know that I will (sooner or later) pick it back up and get back on track.

My excuse for now is that I'm trying to relax a bit and enjoy the end of summer. Once the school year gets into gear again, I will get back on track with the exercise.

If I could find an exercise that I looked forward to, I know I wouldn't make as many excuses.

Here we celebrate our progress and recognize our superstars.

Reminders:
-after 3 weeks of no reporting, you are dropped from the challenge & can re-start at any time, though
-if anybody knows they will miss weighing in, just PM and let me know and you'll be marked excused

Biggest Loser "Sizzlin' Hot" Summer Challenge Week 12!
This week’s group loss = 3.7 pounds
Average percentage of weight lost 0.13 %
Total group weight loss so far 245.8 pounds!

The WISH Biggest Loser "Sizzlin' Hot" Summer 2012 Challenge Week 12 Superstars!!
#10 - N/A
#9 - N/A
#8 - N/A
#7 - N/A
#6 - 0.06% - sissy ib
#5 - 0.20% - 6ofus2
#4 - 0.52% - lmhall2000
#3 - 0.59% - bigsis1970
#2 - 0.80% - Disneywedding2010

and now
The WISH Biggest Loser "Sizzlin' Hot" Summer 2012 Challenge Week 12
Biggest Loser is:
#1 - 1.26% - KDIPIAZZ

Congratulations to all our BL!! Thanks for sticking with it!!

Morning all ! It is a rainy day here for our last full day of summer vacation. Like I mentioned above, DS goes back tomorrow for Freshman Fest and DD returns Thursday (although she will be at the school tomorrow for a bit to man the swim table for sports sign-up time).

DH was nice enough to ask about doing something together today as a family, but he didn't bother to think of it/mention it until 9:15 pm, by which time DD and I already had some plans in mind. Not sure if DH and DS were still planning to do something, but I think this rain might put a damper on it any how.

DD has her last dive class tonight. Then she will just do her 4 open water swims (looks like the weekend of 9/8 and 9/9) and will be fully certified! Then she will just need to write up her paper(s) and submit everything to her "coach" at school and her Senior Project will be done (except for Senior Expo night in June).

Off to have some breakfast! TTYL......................P

I am a complete flake!! This is the last week of the challenge- the last to redeem myself before the Fall Challenge begins, and I will be so consistent then, I promise! Okay, on the the QOTD...

My favorite excuse seems to be "I'll do it tomorrow". Whether it be exercise or food, tomorrow is the best day ever because I'm gonna get everything done and work out and eat right...yeah, right!:lmao: I will say I'm retraining myself and my thought patterns to mentally say, "There is no tomorrow, there is only right now." Especially since I only have 30 DAYS (!:cheer2:!) until my next trip and my big race in Disney!! I can't wait, I'm so fricking excited!!!!

Is anyone else going down for the TOT 10mi run? It would be so cool to meet some WISH'ers down there!

Ok today's question is not fancy because I'm posting from my phone. Since it is back to school week for most people (I start tomorrow) we will have a fun one!

Question of the day: what was your favorite subject in school? Did it influence what profession you choose when you grew up?

Checking in to celebrate a few victories :cool1:

I was diagnosed as diabetic in January with a A1c of 7.3 Lipid panel results at that time were cholesterol 207, HDL 37, LDL 136, Triglycerides 169. My weight was 322. Constant back pain (2 herniated discs leading to a diagnosis of degenerative disc disease), arthritis, IBS. Basically, I was a mess, except for blood pressure, which has always been quite good.

It was time to get serious. Research showed that a low-carb diet helped control blood sugar, so I made some drastic lifestyle changes. I try to keep my carbs between 50-75 grams spread over the course of a day. I concentrated on getting my carbs from vegetables and some berries. No more fruit juice, no starchy veggies, no grains. I have some food intolerances that I had previously ignored (wheat, corn, soy, peanuts and shellfish) so it wasn't as painful as I had imagined. Cutting grains had the added bonus of clearing up eczema that has plagued me since high school. IBS improved drastically, even with the addition of Metformin, which is known to cause intestinal distress.

My son left for college last week (1500 miles away :sad1:) and right before we left, I had my first doctor's appointment since diagnosis. A1c is down to 5.5. Total cholesterol is now 172, with HDL of 40, LDL of 109 and triglycerides at 116. Blood pressure was 108/67 which is unchanged from previous check-ups. He was thrilled, I was thrilled. I need to continue to bring my A1c down (4.8-5.1 is optimal), improve the HDL:LDL ratio and I'd like to get the triglycerides below 100 but concrete proof of progress was just the boost I needed to stay on the straight and narrow during vacation!

During vacation, for the first time EVER in my life, I visited the fitness room of a hotel :thumbsup2 and we hiked several miles each day through gorgeous South Dakota and Wyoming. I even ignored the elevators and took the stairs to our 3rd floor room at the hotel and to the 5th floor dorm room. Eating out wasn't nearly as difficult as i had feared it would be (although I'm the first to admit that South Dakota sure ain't Disney with regards to magical tempting treats! :lmao:)

My blood sugar readings were consistently below 100 ( in the NORMAL range...not even the normal "for a diabetic' range!!) and I lost 3 pounds over vacation, bringing my total since 1/1/12 to 87 pounds :cool2:

A question to throw out there:
Anyone got any HDL-raising, LDL-lowering tips? Oatmeal is not an option at this point as a serving raises my blood glucose more than is optimal. Fish is OK, although I absolutely detest salmon. I do not want to consider a statin due to their affect on blood glucose and other side effects including liver damage. My doctor agreed with that at this point, so I'm looking for natural ways to move things further in the right direction.

If I could find an exercise that I looked forward to, I know I wouldn't make as many excuses.

I'm in the same boat!! I like the walk/run thing but I'm not fast and get out of breath quickly so I'm not loving it right now. I'm discouraged a bit. I need to find something to do! We might go hiking but frankly I'm so sick of the heat I want to wait until it cools down some more. I want to actually enjoy myself for a change.

Hi all,

Been a busy day here! I guess I will take the 4 massages I gave and the hour spent in the attic sweating profusely as my exercise. I would like to try and get on the elliptical but I'll see how I feel in a little while as I just ate my supper! Got about 10 bags/boxes for Big Bro Big Sis on Friday. Went through all the boxes up in the attic, brought down some and sorted through them. Of course now my living room is a pit again! I'll work on it again tomorrow.

QOTD: My favorite subject was always reading. Before becoming an LMT I was a teacher so I guess I was inspired by that. I haven't had much time the past few weeks to read. Hoping to make time starting next week.

Need to try and do a few more things.!

TTFN :tigger:

I was diagnosed as diabetic in January with a A1c of 7.3 Lipid panel results at that time were cholesterol 207, HDL 37, LDL 136, Triglycerides 169. My weight was 322. Constant back pain (2 herniated discs leading to a diagnosis of degenerative disc disease), arthritis, IBS. Basically, I was a mess, except for blood pressure, which has always been quite good.

It was time to get serious. Research showed that a low-carb diet helped control blood sugar, so I made some drastic lifestyle changes. I try to keep my carbs between 50-75 grams spread over the course of a day. I concentrated on getting my carbs from vegetables and some berries. No more fruit juice, no starchy veggies, no grains. I have some food intolerances that I had previously ignored (wheat, corn, soy, peanuts and shellfish) so it wasn't as painful as I had imagined. Cutting grains had the added bonus of clearing up eczema that has plagued me since high school. IBS improved drastically, even with the addition of Metformin, which is known to cause intestinal distress.

My son left for college last week (1500 miles away :sad1:) and right before we left, I had my first doctor's appointment since diagnosis. A1c is down to 5.5. Total cholesterol is now 172, with HDL of 40, LDL of 109 and triglycerides at 116. Blood pressure was 108/67 which is unchanged from previous check-ups. He was thrilled, I was thrilled. I need to continue to bring my A1c down (4.8-5.1 is optimal), improve the HDL:LDL ratio and I'd like to get the triglycerides below 100 but concrete proof of progress was just the boost I needed to stay on the straight and narrow during vacation!

During vacation, for the first time EVER in my life, I visited the fitness room of a hotel :thumbsup2 and we hiked several miles each day through gorgeous South Dakota and Wyoming. I even ignored the elevators and took the stairs to our 3rd floor room at the hotel and to the 5th floor dorm room. Eating out wasn't nearly as difficult as i had feared it would be (although I'm the first to admit that South Dakota sure ain't Disney with regards to magical tempting treats! :lmao:)

My blood sugar readings were consistently below 100 ( in the NORMAL range...not even the normal "for a diabetic' range!!) and I lost 3 pounds over vacation, bringing my total since 1/1/12 to 87 pounds :cool2:

WHOOO!!!! :dance3::cool1::cheer2::flower3:
How awesome for you!! You must be so proud of yourself :thumbsup2

I amcurrentky at the emergency vet waiting to see if we have to put my cat down. If someone can coach tomorrow I would be very grateful. If not I'm sorry to report there will be no question of the day

Please keep us in your thoughts

I amcurrentky at the emergency vet waiting to see if we have to put my cat down. If someone can coach tomorrow I would be very grateful. If not I'm sorry to report there will be no question of the day

Thinking of you. Hoping you furbaby is ok.

I am sorry to hear about your cat. I have been there several times.

I got the question.

Question of the Day

What have you learned in this challenge that you can bring with you to the next challenge to have even more success?

I have to keep up with the exercise I started up again this summer. I had gotten away from exercise and I had some great weeks with exercise this summer. Something I haven't done in a while.

I know there was an article that exercise may not help but for me to lose weight it has to be a combination of diet and exercise.

Have a happy and healthy day.

A big congratulations to all our superstars and especially to our biggest loser, KDIPIAZZ! :cool1: It takes a lot of dedication and hard work to be plugging away even at the end of the summer challenge!

QOTD: I'm too tired is my biggest one

This is one of my favorite excuses, too. :hugs:

I'm not giving excuses. If I don't want to go to exercise class, I make myself go for a walk/jog. Since I prefer the class, I go. As for eating, I'm on WW so I can have anything I want - just not all on the same day. WW has really given me an education and I make better choices

You have definitely found something that works for you - yay! :yay:

I need to rededicate myself to this journey as well. Hopefully the fall challenge can be great for you and I!!

I think there are a lot of us planning to do the same! :flower3:

Is anyone else going down for the TOT 10mi run? It would be so cool to meet some WISH'ers down there!

There is a thread on the Events side of the WISH boards, if you haven't found that already. Do try and go to the WISH meet if you can, even for a bit. WISHers are very, very nice people in person! ::yes::

I love the medal for ToT. I'm a sucker for anything that glows in the dark.

You have had a GREAT year! Keep up the good work! :thumbsup2

A question to throw out there:
Anyone got any HDL-raising, LDL-lowering tips? Oatmeal is not an option at this point as a serving raises my blood glucose more than is optimal. Fish is OK, although I absolutely detest salmon. I do not want to consider a statin due to their affect on blood glucose and other side effects including liver damage. My doctor agreed with that at this point, so I'm looking for natural ways to move things further in the right direction.

Have you asked for a referral to a nutritionist? They might be able to help you find something that works and doesn't mess up your glucose levels.

I'm in the same boat!! I like the walk/run thing but I'm not fast and get out of breath quickly so I'm not loving it right now. I'm discouraged a bit. I need to find something to do! We might go hiking but frankly I'm so sick of the heat I want to wait until it cools down some more. I want to actually enjoy myself for a change.

Buffy, you do get out of breath when you run, just slow down a bit so it is not so uncomfortable. Honestly, I don't like my run until at least mile 2 and even then there are lots of runs where I feel best when I am done. :teeth: It will be better when things cool down. You can do it! :flower3:

Sending you lots of good thoughts and pixiedust:

I am sorry to hear about your cat. I have been there several times.

I got the question.

Question of the Day

What have you learned in this challenge that you can bring with you to the next challenge to have even more success?

I have to keep up with the exercise I started up again this summer. I had gotten away from exercise and I had some great weeks with exercise this summer. Something I haven't done in a while.

I know there was an article that exercise may not help but for me to lose weight it has to be a combination of diet and exercise.

Have a happy and healthy day.

Thanks for jumping in, Dona! :flower3:

There will be another article next month saying that exercise is a must. ;) I think it depends on you. I know if I don't do both I don't make good progress. It's just DOING that that can be challenging. :rotfl:

I would like to hear more about your trip when you feel like talking about it. :smickey:

It's the first week of school at our house so there are some adjustments going on for all of us. :teacher:

Have a great week all! :goodvibes

PS Beware the poof fairy is out today. :furious:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!