Biggest Loser Run/Walker Thread 2012/13--Everyone Welcome! :)

Ok, just have a minute. Today is a busy day for me. Work, elliptical, piyo and a baseball game tonight if it doesn't rain.

I will do some updates tomorrow.

Welcome to all the new folks!

Anyone running today?

Last night I went for a walk in my new running shoes. They are minimalist shoes (but not as extreme as 5 fingers) and you have to break into them. I already have some soreness in my achilles, but that is normal.

Tomorrow I am going to run in them for the first time. I will run 1 mile and then put on my regular running shoes to finish my 4 miles (or so).

I am hoping by the end of the month to being running in them regularly.:goodvibes

Have a great Monday!

Hello all! :wave2:

Thanks, Rose, for hostessing our new thread! :flower3:

Name: Lisa
DisName: lisah0711
Upcoming Races: Sandpoint (Idaho) Scenic Half 9/16, Wine &Dine Half, Donald Half :donald:
Completed Races in 2012 (or earlier): Inaugural Tinker Bell Half 1/12. Coeur d'Alene Half 2012 and 2011, Sandpoint Scenic Half 2011
Favorite Race: Tinker Bell Half
:tink:
Anything else you want to share (age, where you live, etc): Started running at age 49 a couple of years ago. Had a bit of a rough start getting swept at the Princess 2011 but made lifelong friends and just keep swimming :fish:
And for fun, favorite running shoe: Brooks Ariel (looks like a clodhopper but runs like a dream :love:)

I'm coaching the BL thread this week so may just be reading along here for now. I'll catch up at the end of the week.

For the Wounded Warrior run there is a mandatory fundraiser. I would like to ask everyone to check out the WWP and consider donating. The organisation does all kinds of wonderful work for our injured service members. I am a veteran myself and this cause is dear to me. I need to raise at least $99 but my goal is to raise at least $400 over the next few months.
http://support.woundedwarriorproject.org/individual-fundraising/AmandaF/
You can donate any amount you wish, every dollar counts!
Thank you!

Yesterday I went on a very long walk on the trails near my house. I set out for 5 miles and I went about 5.25. On the way back I decided to do some jogging intervals and actually jogged quite a bit. I was not timing myself or keeping the distance for the runs but I had to have run at least half way on the return.

Today when my DH gets home we will be doing C25K. We start week 6 today. We only have two more days with walking intervals then we go to running only for the rest of the program. :scared:

Name: Lindsay
DisName:Mommyof2pirates
Upcoming Races: Via Marathon Relay 9/2012, Runners World Half 10/2012
Completed Races in 2012 (or earlier): Princess half 2011, St lukes half 2011,2012. Lots of 5Ks!!! Favorite 5K is tunnel to towers run in NYC
Favorite Race: WDW Princess
Anything else you want to share (age, where you live, etc): 33 years old, Bethlehem, PA. Married with 2 boys.
And for fun, favorite running shoe: Nike Pegasus

Rose great idea for the new thread. This is great.:goodvibes

Name: Jean
Disname: Dreamer2012
Upcomming races: Hopefully PHM Feb 2013 w/ 14DD!
Completed races: PHM 2012 (first experience ever any race!) I am a walker
Just did the Color Me Rad Race as a walker
Anything else to share: Birthday 2/26/1960 (52 yrs old)-From CT. -
Married 34 years - Mother of 5. -Breast Cancer Survivor
Favorite running shoe? Not a runner - but I am still searching for a great walking
shoe that comes in some funky colors in large sizes
Size (11) Any suggestions?
Looking forward to joining in the conversations! Hope its OK that I am NOT a runner....I walked the entire PHM this year, and it was just as hard as running it! My DD14 is driving me to do it again - so we can experience it together...we are training now, but I am really not sure I can do it again....
Would like to carry a few less LBS at the next PHM....I am addicted to what my children now call "Mom Crack" - diet soda! I gave it up for 5 years and when I arrived in Fla. for the PHM I fell off the wagon and have not been able to get back on yet - Looking forward to getting to know everyone here and possibly meet up before the next PHM!!:)

Name: Jen
DisName: Camnhan
Upcoming Races: 6/17: Kilbride 5k for Autism, 7/8: Coach Blanchette Memorial 5k, 9/29 (my Zach's b-day and how fitting!!) GiGi Playhouse 6K [the extra K represents our kiddo's with an extra 21st chromosome!)
Completed Races in 2012 (or earlier): Winterfest 5k, Marty's Mojo, Central HS Memorial Scholarship 5K
Favorite Race: ??? my favorite to look forward to: ANY DISNEY RACE
Anything else you want to share (age, where you live, etc): 45, live in the cornfields of IL, have been walking most races and working my way to a run,
And for fun, favorite running shoe: jury is still out on this one...

It's rainy here, so I am home tonight.:goodvibes

Name: Kaiti!
DisName: JacksLilWench
Upcoming Races: ToT 10 Miler!!!
Completed Races: Disney-0, but local-2 (Cupid's Cup in Feb '12, WW5k June '12)
Favorite Race: WW5k- so much fun cheering everyone on!
Anything to share: Live in Charlotte NC, 26, new runner, and the ToT will be my first BIG race!!
Favorite Shoe- Brooks. I think my next pair will be the Brooks Ariel. And yes, strictly because she's my favorite Disney character. And they're pretty!

PS: Birthday is March 19th
Welcome Kaiti! I am so excited for everyone doing the TOT! I have run the w&d the past two years and the TOT took the W&D time slot. You are going to have a great time.

The Brooks Ariel is a motion control shoe--meaning it is correcting for pronation. So be very careful to make sure you need the motion control. Please disregard this unsolicited advice if you have already been fitted for them.:goodvibes Long story short, I started off in motion control shoes when I was overweight and as I lost the weight, I stopped pronating. And developed a bunch of injuries most likely from being in the motion control shoes when they weren't needed. Just want you to stay healthy.:goodvibes

Hi everyone! I have mostly lurked on the WISH board, but seeing this thread starting new is a great opportunity to get more involoved! So, here is my introduction:

Name:
Magdalene

DisName:
Flossbolna (which does not have anything to do with dental floss, Floss is the name of the village here in Germany where I grew up and Bolna was the name of my childhood dog)

Upcoming Races:
October 3: Nuremberg 10k and hopefully: April 7, 2013 Berlin Half-Marathon (which would be my first half-marathon ever).
Completed Races in 2012 (or earlier): Nuremberg 10k in 2010 and 2010 and a few 5ks.

Favorite Race:
my first race ever was the Berlin Women's 5k and it still is my favourite one as I never expected to be able to finish at all!

Anything else you want to share (age, where you live, etc):
I live in Germany, in Nuremberg which is in Bavaria. I never was an athlete in school and started running in my late 20s more as a way to prove myself that I could do it. That was over 10 years ago and I am still more of an irregular runner. I was amazed at myself when I actually managed to train for and finish a 10k and think I need to try a longe distance now in order to keep my focussed. The thing that annoys me a bit about races in Germany is that the time limits are very short. To me it appears that here that most races are only for true athletes and if you are slower you don't really belong there. I think that's a shame. That's why I picked the Berlin Half-Marathon as my goal for my first half as it has a time limit of 3:30 hours. So I hope I won't be the only one who needs more than 2 hours to finish a half marathon!

And for fun, favorite running shoe:
Asics Gel Kayano - unfortunately not a cheap shoe at all. But I got my first pair when it was on sale and now I am hooked and can't imagine running with another shoe...
Welcome Magdalene! That's interesting that racing is still considered for "real" athletes in Germany. Thanks for explaining your user name.:goodvibes My DH used to run in Gel Kayunos--he has been slowly transitioning to more minimalist shoes (took over a year). He is just getting started with the Newton's as well.:goodvibes

Rose, you are infamous because you are the first person I ever just walked up to and introduced myself just because I "met you "(or you might think stalked you:lmao:;)) on line.

you can add my birthday- March 29, also I forgot 1 race- the Disney Castaway Cay 5k 1/17/12 -PR 26.23!:cool1:
:goodvibes I never felt stalked at all. I'm so glad we got to meet you!

Hello all! :wave2:

Thanks, Rose, for hostessing our new thread! :flower3:

Name: Lisa
DisName: lisah0711
Upcoming Races: Sandpoint (Idaho) Scenic Half 9/16, Wine &Dine Half, Donald Half :donald:
Completed Races in 2012 (or earlier): Inaugural Tinker Bell Half 1/12. Coeur d'Alene Half 2012 and 2011, Sandpoint Scenic Half 2011
Favorite Race: Tinker Bell Half
:tink:
Anything else you want to share (age, where you live, etc): Started running at age 49 a couple of years ago. Had a bit of a rough start getting swept at the Princess 2011 but made lifelong friends and just keep swimming :fish:
And for fun, favorite running shoe: Brooks Ariel (looks like a clodhopper but runs like a dream :love:)

I'm coaching the BL thread this week so may just be reading along here for now. I'll catch up at the end of the week.
Hi Lisa!:goodvibes For anyone who doesn't know, Lisa is our Galloway expert and always has lots of good thoughts on run/walking. She even encouraged me to shorten my intervals which has really helped. I am really looking forward to seeing her at the W&D!

Yesterday I went on a very long walk on the trails near my house. I set out for 5 miles and I went about 5.25. On the way back I decided to do some jogging intervals and actually jogged quite a bit. I was not timing myself or keeping the distance for the runs but I had to have run at least half way on the return.

Today when my DH gets home we will be doing C25K. We start week 6 today. We only have two more days with walking intervals then we go to running only for the rest of the program. :scared:
Great job today!

FWIW--I run my short runs (4-6 miles) without breaks. But I have incorporated walk breaks into my longer runs--and I am actually faster with the walk breaks. Just something to think about as you increase your miles.

My first half I ran without stopping. Not even once. Not at all. Nada. Zip. My DH stopped for a pottie break and I kept running and he had to catch up. It was a mental thing for me.

I am over that and I am a huge believer in walk breaks. I feel better at the end. It helps avoid injuries. And I am faster.:thumbsup2

Name: Lindsay
DisName:Mommyof2pirates
Upcoming Races: Via Marathon Relay 9/2012, Runners World Half 10/2012
Completed Races in 2012 (or earlier): Princess half 2011, St lukes half 2011,2012. Lots of 5Ks!!! Favorite 5K is tunnel to towers run in NYC
Favorite Race: WDW Princess
Anything else you want to share (age, where you live, etc): 33 years old, Bethlehem, PA. Married with 2 boys.
And for fun, favorite running shoe: Nike Pegasus

Rose great idea for the new thread. This is great.:goodvibes
Hi Lindsay!:goodvibes I loved when you did the race report about the Tunnels to Towers race. Are they doing that again this year? I really hope you are able to come in January!

Name: Jean
Disname: Dreamer2012
Upcomming races: Hopefully PHM Feb 2013 w/ 14DD!
Completed races: PHM 2012 (first experience ever any race!) I am a walker
Just did the Color Me Rad Race as a walker
Anything else to share: Birthday 2/26/1960 (52 yrs old)-From CT. -
Married 34 years - Mother of 5. -Breast Cancer Survivor
Favorite running shoe? Not a runner - but I am still searching for a great walking
shoe that comes in some funky colors in large sizes
Size (11) Any suggestions?
Looking forward to joining in the conversations! Hope its OK that I am NOT a runner....I walked the entire PHM this year, and it was just as hard as running it! My DD14 is driving me to do it again - so we can experience it together...we are training now, but I am really not sure I can do it again....
Would like to carry a few less LBS at the next PHM....I am addicted to what my children now call "Mom Crack" - diet soda! I gave it up for 5 years and when I arrived in Fla. for the PHM I fell off the wagon and have not been able to get back on yet - Looking forward to getting to know everyone here and possibly meet up before the next PHM!!:)
It is absolutely ok that you are a walker.:goodvibes I'm glad you had a great time at the Princess. As my DH likes to say, I tend to behave like a little southern hothouse flower--and I was FREEZING that weekend. I am hoping for better weather in January. I am still on the fence about doing Princess in February.

I used to do the DC thing to extremes. I gave it up in Dec 2009 and have not had a sip since then. In 2010 I joined the BL thread and started the weight loss thing for the last time. I really believe diet soda helped to make me fat. I just CRAVED sugar/carbs when I was drinking it. Good luck if you decide to give it up. I will be your cheerleader if you take it on.

I have to look it up, but there is a statistic associated with weight loss and running/walking times that was a HUGE motivator for me.:goodvibes

Name: Jen
DisName: Camnhan
Upcoming Races: 6/17: Kilbride 5k for Autism, 7/8: Coach Blanchette Memorial 5k, 9/29 (my Zach's b-day and how fitting!!) GiGi Playhouse 6K [the extra K represents our kiddo's with an extra 21st chromosome!)
Completed Races in 2012 (or earlier): Winterfest 5k, Marty's Mojo, Central HS Memorial Scholarship 5K
Favorite Race: ??? my favorite to look forward to: ANY DISNEY RACE
Anything else you want to share (age, where you live, etc): 45, live in the cornfields of IL, have been walking most races and working my way to a run,
And for fun, favorite running shoe: jury is still out on this one...
Hi Jen! The 6K sounds very, very cool.:goodvibes For some reason I thought you were in Pittsburg, not IL. Mike went to UIUC for grad school. It was really cold there. Holy cow!

oh and b-day March 26
Got it.:goodvibes

Welcome to all the new folks!:goodvibes

I went to the Y today and did 31 nasty minutes on the elliptical and then took my piyo class. I am very type A so it took me about a month before I really started to like yoga. It has helped my so much. I am hoping it keeps me out of physical therapy permanently. I love the instructor too, cause if she knows you are interested in something she adds it into the class. So she knows I have a lot of itband issues and she added in stretches just for that.:goodvibes

I came home and instead of just having a protein snack I dug into the leftover g-f brownies. Not my finest moment of the day.:sad2:

Tomorrow is my first run (other than a quarter mile or so when trying them on) with the Newtons. I am a little nervous, but excited. I have a lot of foot problems too and I have read tons of stuff from people who have said it really helped with some of the same problems I have been having. Again, I will do anything to avoid going back to physical therapy.:thumbsup2

I thought I would post a QOTD once a week, maybe on Sundays. Just to kick start some conversations since we have a bunch of new folks.

If you have a suggestion for a run/walk/fitness QOTD send me a PM and I will compile them and bring one out once a week or so.

Have a great night!:goodvibes

I ran a mile yesterday, in the rain. Finally had to walk out of the woods though, my feet were soaked and didn't like running.
Rain for the next 4 days, so not sure how much running I'll get done. I'd like to unbury the blessed treadmill but DH is being a big PITA about it.

Welcome Kaiti! I am so excited for everyone doing the TOT! I have run the w&d the past two years and the TOT took the W&D time slot. You are going to have a great time.

The Brooks Ariel is a motion control shoe--meaning it is correcting for pronation. So be very careful to make sure you need the motion control. Please disregard this unsolicited advice if you have already been fitted for them.:goodvibes Long story short, I started off in motion control shoes when I was overweight and as I lost the weight, I stopped pronating. And developed a bunch of injuries most likely from being in the motion control shoes when they weren't needed. Just want you to stay healthy.:goodvibes

Thanks for the advice Rose :flower3: I do think I pronate, actually. I got fitted for my current pair of Brooks, and I can't remember what all the guy told me. I know my ankles roll and I measure about 8.5/9 unweighted to a 10.5 weighted :eek: A HUGE jump! So maybe the motion control would be a good thing. Thanks for being so concerned though...and any advice from you is good advice! :cool1:

Last week was my first week training for the ToT, and I think I did pretty good! I finished my Thursday run feeling like I could keep going for a little longer, but I decided not to push too far- if I mess up a knee or something and can't do the race, I'd be heartbroken! My first long run was this past Saturday, and I have no idea how my time was, but I did pretty good! My DM and I did a 5k together with our WW group. Here's the picture of us getting our certificates:
WW5K.jpg

I'm in the pink.

I'm really proud of my DM. She's been on WW for just under a year and already lost 116lbs! :woohoo: I tell her all the time she's lost a college student, lol. It's kinda fun now, because we both have the same number of pounds to lose before we hit our maintain weights, so it's a bit of a competition between us. We'll just have to see who wins...*evil grin* lol!

Kaiti- Congrats to you and your mom and especially to her on her weight loss-over a 100lbs :woohoo:-

I have not run since my 5k on mother's day, suffering from what i think is ITBS in the right leg/knee and also trying to heal up some pretty big bruises on my left leg from a biking fall- learning how to "clip in" whoever said "it's as easy as riding a bike never clipped in:rolleyes1. I plan on a short run tonight to prep for my 5k Saturday. I attempted to ride with my husband's bike group last night- I say attempted because I only managed 19 of the 28 miles due to a very windy ride. Hubby had to go get the car and rescue me:lmao:

Hope everyone has a great rest of the week.

Dottie

Dottie--meant to say yesterday, great time on that 5K! I am hoping to be under an hour for the 10k we will run in July and right around 25 for the Parents Weekend 5k in Sept. I hope your knee/leg cooperates when you run today. I think a 19 mile bike ride is still pretty impressive!

Kaiti--Congratulations to you and your Mom! :goodvibes

Buffy--sorry about the rain messing with your plans. Sometimes I like to run in the rain, and sometimes it is really unfun. Hope you find your treamill soon.;)

would love the run in the rain but this is black scary looking clouds rain. With that comes thunder and lightening. And of course the green is 1.6 miles around so with my luck I'd be 1/2 way around when the skies open up.

Hi! On a forced day off from my C25K. Since the toe healed, I've been diving back in and finding that the early parts of the plan are borderline easy - I guess I'd come farther than I thought when I started this! :) But after getting out there a week straight, I knew I needed to take a day off. I still had to talk myself down from wanting to get out there tonight - such beautiful weather. I never realized how addictive this could be...!

I'm really proud of my DM. She's been on WW for just under a year and already lost 116lbs! :woohoo: I tell her all the time she's lost a college student, lol. It's kinda fun now, because we both have the same number of pounds to lose before we hit our maintain weights, so it's a bit of a competition between us. We'll just have to see who wins...*evil grin* lol!

You and your mom are awesome! I love that you can do this with her. My mom is several states away, and she has bone density issues. And she really dislikes exercise (beyond her gardening, anyway!). Oh well.

Looking forward to seeing you at the ToT 10-miler, btw!

would love the run in the rain but this is black scary looking clouds rain. With that comes thunder and lightening. And of course the green is 1.6 miles around so with my luck I'd be 1/2 way around when the skies open up.

I had a near miss like this the other day - I went out in the morning to beat the rain that was forecast for later in the day. I got to my halfway point - as far away from the house as I was gonna get, and it started to sprinkle. ! Fortunately, it never started fully raining, so it ended up just being refreshing. I'm nervous about rainy runs right now, as I don't want to lose my footing and re-injure that toe! I think at this point I can probably stop worrying about that, but I'm still a little overprotective of it.

XO
Liz

Buffy--I have run in thunderstorms and it is definitely unfun.:thumbsup2 And dangerous. I look back on it as a "what was I thinking" moment....Mike got caught running in a hail storm once. He said it really hurt.:rotfl: We laugh about it now, but definitely not good at the time.

Liz--glad that toe is cooperating.:goodvibes

Gee Nancy, I cannot understand why you are not posting multiple times a day. How busy can you really be??;) Miss you and hope things are going splendidly.:goodvibes

So we took our first run in our new shoes. Here is a little shoe report.:goodvibes
Here's a link to what I am running in now:
http://www.newtonrunning.com/shoes/women-shoes/women-trainers/neutral-trainer

Yes, the price is crazy. I only get about 3 months out of a pair of running shoes, and I'm hoping to get 4-5 out of these, plus there is that whole avoiding p-t thing....and I think I am going to be able to run wo/ inserts (and since I probably will need new ones soon, that will save some $$ too).

Anyhow, I thought the run went great. I did ok with keeping my cadence up, which is one of the keys to mid/forefoot stride. When I would accidentally heel strike I would automatically know and correct. I think I was pulling my toes up a little (leftover from wearing the Strassburg sock so much this winter haha) and I developed a hot spot on my foot.

We ran for 31 min which is a bit longer than we should have gone when getting used to the shoes, but we had both been working on our cadence and the stride for a couple of weeks. By the last quarter mile I could really start to feel it in my calves (which is normal to start) and I had that hotspot going so it was time to stop.

The exciting part--NO heel pain, NO plantar pain (and I ran without my inserts!!!!!!), NO back pain at all (I could do a complete forward fold at the end of the run--which is incredible!), NO hip tightness, NO itband soreness.

It is going to take a while to get used to the shoes. I was slower. When I got tired I had to really concentrate to keep my form which is mentally tiring. My calves are sore, but if tonight's run is any indication I am cautiously optimistic that this going to work great. The shoes are so light compared to my Brooks.

We only went 2.8 miles (3.65 total with the walking at the end), but I really can't believe how great I felt. :goodvibes

Those sound great Rose. Having no pain is worth any expense if you ask me!!

I still didn't run today, the heart wasn't in it. But I hope to do something tomorrow after our volunteer appreciation breakfast. DS15 gets out at 1 tomorrow so maybe we'll do a quick run after school.

Dottie--meant to say yesterday, great time on that 5K! I am hoping to be under an hour for the 10k we will run in July and right around 25 for the Parents Weekend 5k in Sept. I hope your knee/leg cooperates when you run today. I think a 19 mile bike ride is still pretty impressive!

Kaiti--Congratulations to you and your Mom! :goodvibes

Buffy--sorry about the rain messing with your plans. Sometimes I like to run in the rain, and sometimes it is really unfun. Hope you find your treamill soon.;)

Rose- my Castaway Cay 5k time -was before the foot and knee injuries and the course is as flat as flat can be, but I was on a Disney"s private island what could be better!:cool1: I am hoping for around a 27 time for my 5k this weekend my PR for this course is a 26.35 in Nov for the turkey trot also pre-foot problems. I know I will smash my 32.34 which was my time last year for this race. My 2mile run yeaterday went well, no pain-I could have done more but did not want to push it just yet-and it was just starting to sprinkle afterwards I went to the Y and did some stretches and about 15-20 min on the eliptical. If the rain holds out today I will bike with my women's group an 18 mile loop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter