Biggest Loser alumni holiday chat! (All are welcome!)

Good sunday afternoon friends!!

Hope you're all enjoying your weekends. I baked cookies yesterday, spritz, and gingerbread men, but we didn't decorate the gingerbread yet. I also put all my inside decorations out, and today we're headed to a holiday party for people I used to work with. Should be fun. They are doing an ornament swap.

Pamela-I chuckled at your advice, make a cookie I don't like, I can't think of one. :lmao: It is the season, and I need to just be reasonable. I am shocked you didn't finish your shopping this past august. ;) I have no doubt you will make your list, and be at least 90% done on friday.

Lisa-Hope you're enjoying your sunday at home. Mike has his school concert this week too, tuesday, but it's at 115, so I'm praying my 10-2 shift can be made a 9-1 or just get cancelled. Good luck to Robert at his concert this week. I chuckled at the video game comment. Michael was complaining his shoulder was sore, and I said it was probably from the wii skate-it game he's currently addicted to. lol. At least to play it he's standing up. But if I didn't recommend he stop sometimes, I think he'd play it 24/7. :rotfl2:

Dona-So sorry about the fall. I hope you are feeling better soon. :hug:

Hello to everyone else!!
I'll wish you all a wonderful, stress-free, healthy week!! ( I'm just accepting now that I'm a weekly poster);)

Good morning everyone.

My ankle is feeling better but my wrist is still giving me problems. It was really sore after I did grocery shopping.

Pamela I know what you mean about Christmas presents. Dh has been shopping but he never shops for anyone except for me and sometimes small things for the boys. He never buys family presents either. ALthough yesterday he was walking through the Disney store and bought me something. He couldn't wait to give it to me since they were 6 villian ornaments.

I am pretty lucky in that for the last few years we have given neices and nephews Visa debit cards so they can get what they want. One year that is all we got our ds's. We gift wrapped them in different size boxes but they had a blast going off and shopping for what they want. It may be time to do that again.

I have a busy week coming up. Yesterday we finished the local school's fall play and we packed up costumes last night. Tuesday is my school's holiday part. Wed I promised a friend to help her for an hour.

I worked on the tree yesterday. I have to look at it this afternoon but I think I am just about done. Decorating is pretty much done. The Christmas card letter is written but I am just waiting for final approval from ds's. If I can get the shopping done and the cards out this week I will be very happy. I can bake next weekend

Off to get the day started. Wish me luck that the copy machines are working.

Have a happy and healthy day.

Good morning all! :goodvibes

Pamela, sorry the poof fairy paid you a visit this morning -- sounds like you had a double whammy with the poof fairy and the smilie police. :lmao:

It was mostly just me being stupid with the Ipad. I've had it for a year and I still don't know how to use it well!

Not too much exciting going on here today except the usual get ready for the school week. :laundy: DS has choir rehearsals, a concert to give and a concert to attend so it will be busy after school every night this week. I try to stay home on Sundays -- it's a treat not to have to go to work or someplace else. :hippie:

I agree... it is a HUGE treat to just stay home for a day.... hence we skipped church yesterday..:guilty:

How is the yoga on the Wii, Pamela? Of course you have to play some games, too, when you are done. It's what our teenage boys do. ;) I don't mind since I know exactly where he is and what he is doing.

He didn't feel like playing the Wii with me... he spent most of the day on Minecraft and homework. So my exercise yesterday was laundry and dishes.

I did a yoga class yesterday for the first time in a long time and it was a humbling experience. But I'll give it another go this week. :hippie:

Have a great Sunday!

I need to find a yoga class. I should look at the Y schedule after the first of the year. The little bit of yoga I have done I really enjoyed.

ifitsimportant.jpg

AMEN!!

Good sunday afternoon friends!!

Hope you're all enjoying your weekends. I baked cookies yesterday, spritz, and gingerbread men, but we didn't decorate the gingerbread yet. I also put all my inside decorations out, and today we're headed to a holiday party for people I used to work with. Should be fun. They are doing an ornament swap.

I haven't even THOUGHT about decorations really. I asked for someone to help me get some stuff out this weekend and got NO HELP... :rolleyes: so we have no tree and no decorations yet. oh well. It is DD's last year at home (although I presume she will come home from college for Christmas break unless she is out of the country) and I wanted to make it special.... but at this rate I'll be happy to settle for "average"!! :lmao:

Pamela-I chuckled at your advice, make a cookie I don't like, I can't think of one. :lmao: It is the season, and I need to just be reasonable. I am shocked you didn't finish your shopping this past august. ;) I have no doubt you will make your list, and be at least 90% done on friday.

List is only partially done and I'm not even sure if I will make it out shopping before Thursday of this week!! :eek: That being said, I FINALLY came up with a great idea for DS this weekend.... but sadly my "great" idea for DBrother was shot down by DH (for good reasons).

Lisa-Hope you're enjoying your sunday at home. Mike has his school concert this week too, tuesday, but it's at 115, so I'm praying my 10-2 shift can be made a 9-1 or just get cancelled. Good luck to Robert at his concert this week. I chuckled at the video game comment. Michael was complaining his shoulder was sore, and I said it was probably from the wii skate-it game he's currently addicted to. lol. At least to play it he's standing up. But if I didn't recommend he stop sometimes, I think he'd play it 24/7. :rotfl2:

When DS complains about his neck/back/shoulders, I remind him how much time he is spending hunched over his laptop playing Minecraft and watching Yogscasts!! I've asked him to get up and stretch every 30 minutes, but he thinks I'm just a crazy old lady!

Dona-So sorry about the fall. I hope you are feeling better soon. :hug:

Hello to everyone else!!
I'll wish you all a wonderful, stress-free, healthy week!! ( I'm just accepting now that I'm a weekly poster);)

We miss you during the week, but I'm just glad you are here when you can.

Good morning everyone.

My ankle is feeling better but my wrist is still giving me problems. It was really sore after I did grocery shopping.

You shouldn't be carrying groceries with your injuries!! You should have recruited some help!

Pamela I know what you mean about Christmas presents. Dh has been shopping but he never shops for anyone except for me and sometimes small things for the boys. He never buys family presents either. ALthough yesterday he was walking through the Disney store and bought me something. He couldn't wait to give it to me since they were 6 villian ornaments.

I know what you mean. DH is good about getting something for me... and sometimes for the name he picks for my side of the family.... but that is usually it. The bulk of it falls on me, no matter what. THat being said, he does work for UPS and this isn't exactly a relaxing time of year for him!:sad2:

I am pretty lucky in that for the last few years we have given neices and nephews Visa debit cards so they can get what they want. One year that is all we got our ds's. We gift wrapped them in different size boxes but they had a blast going off and shopping for what they want. It may be time to do that again.

I've done that before and may end up doing it again this year. My nephews are the HARDEST purchase every year. Might as well make life easy on yourself and make it fun for them!

I have a busy week coming up. Yesterday we finished the local school's fall play and we packed up costumes last night. Tuesday is my school's holiday part. Wed I promised a friend to help her for an hour.

You have my permission to beg off on Wednesday if your ankle and wrist still hurt!

I worked on the tree yesterday. I have to look at it this afternoon but I think I am just about done. Decorating is pretty much done. The Christmas card letter is written but I am just waiting for final approval from ds's. If I can get the shopping done and the cards out this week I will be very happy. I can bake next weekend

Off to get the day started. Wish me luck that the copy machines are working.

Have a happy and healthy day.

Sounds like you are on track for the holidays, despite your injuries. Wish I could say that I was!!

Happy Monday friends! I am HOME today with SO MUCH to do! I am having 9 girls over for pasta supper tomorrow night, so the downstairs MUST be cleaned today and I will be setting the table. Then I will bring down the Wii and ask DS to set it up on the living room tv tonight. Usually I would send the kids up to the playroom for that, but I don't want to clean it and I don't want to heat it.... plus it isn't a big group, so they can easily fit in the living room.

I did my hour+ on the TM this morning, so at least that is out of the way. I do have some running around to do this afternoon, but DD can't make it to her regular swim practice in Nashua, so I only have to take her to her old pool, 30 minutes away and I will run out for salad stuff and maybe a bit of Christmas shopping while she is swimming.

While I would love to chat here, my coffee cup is empty and it is time to get cleaning! I left on my scrungy exercise clothes so I would have no excuses! I'm gonna turn up the music and clean!! TTYL.............P

Morning, Ladies!

I feel guilty because I am not really posting much here -- it's turned into my busy time at work and I am swamped. But I did want to wish Dona a speedy recovery and Pamela good luck with your pasta party!

I ran 10M yesterday. I have lost some speed with my injury and weight gain (it's really bad), so I just did the best I could. Once I get through the WDW Half, I am going to rededicate myself to weight loss and back down my distances so I can run more often. I'm concentrating on weight loss in 2013 until I need to start training for the 2014 Princess!

Everyone hang in there during this busy time of year -- every good choice you make is a blessing, as FlyLady says, we are going for progress, not perfection!

Maria :upsidedow

Howdy. I am just plugging away here. Seems like we were busy this weekend, but I can't think of what we did! DS2 was in the evening parade on Saturday. DH and I went to the town next door to see him and as soon as he and his giant drum were past us we high tailed it home! DH doesn't do cold--he would love to move to Florida!

Worked half a day today; I finally made it to the grocery store in the afternoon! Tomorrow I work a full day, take the dog to the vet to have his stitches removed then go to DS2's basketball game. Wednesday DS1 has all his wisdom teeth removed. That takes place an hour away so will be a fun drive home. :rotfl: There are basketball games both Thursday and Friday and someone asked me if I could sub for her on Friday.

Pamela, I hear ya on the ipad. I can't do anything on it, but then again, I never really try! internet, solitaire, and one spreadsheet for keeping track of my exercise minutes. That's the extent of my ability! :upsidedow

DH did some shopping over the weekend, so there's at least a dent in our unfinished list. The kids haven't taken their yearly photo at Walmart and the letter isn't written. Hey! I've still got 15 days!

Glad to see we are all hanging in there during this tough time of the year. :santa:

Dona, hope you continue to recouperate and that the copier worked yesterday. :flower3:

Pamela, have fun at your pasta party tonight. princess:

Linda, hang in there! :flower3: Christmas break will be here soon.

I ran 10M yesterday. I have lost some speed with my injury and weight gain (it's really bad), so I just did the best I could. Once I get through the WDW Half, I am going to rededicate myself to weight loss and back down my distances so I can run more often. I'm concentrating on weight loss in 2013 until I need to start training for the 2014 Princess!

Everyone hang in there during this busy time of year -- every good choice you make is a blessing, as FlyLady says, we are going for progress, not perfection!

Maria :upsidedow

I love this quote, Maria. :love: We really need to remember this especially this time of year.

I'm right with you working on shorter distances and weight loss after the Donald. We can do it! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

And following with Maria's quote about good choices here is an article from sparkpeople.com that showed up today about 60 second fitness boosters -- we can all manage a few of these every day, right? :santa:

60-Second Health and Fitness Boosters
Simple Ways to Improve Your Health--Almost Instantly!

When it comes to losing weight or making healthy choices, you probably think that it takes hours at a gym plus long nights preparing and planning nutritious meals. What you may not realize is that quick and easy changes can really improve your immediate health and wellness.

So just how quick is quick? One minute—that’s it! Try any one of these 60-second activities to easily reap the healthy benefits.

1. Drink a tall glass of water. We all know the many health benefits of drinking water, but did you also know that even mild dehydration can cause fatigue? So, the next time you feel your energy waning, grab a glass of cold water and guzzle it down!

2. Twist it out. So many of us spend every weekday seated in front of a computer. Not only can sitting all day wreak havoc on your posture, but it can also compress your spine and exaggerate its curvature. Not fun. A simple twist can help undo this. As you sit in your desk chair, simply twist your upper-body to one side, hold for 30 seconds, and then repeat on the other side. If you have the space to sit on the floor, try this torso twist stretch. It’s guaranteed to make you feel better!

3. Take a deep breath. How often do you think about breathing? If you are like most people, you probably don’t think about it often enough. For a quick pick-me-up, simply take five deep breaths. Slowly inhale for at least five seconds and exhale for 10 seconds each time. Your body will thank you for the extra oxygen.

4. Do 20 jumping jacks. Research has shown that long periods of sitting can be detrimental to the body and our overall health. So get up out of that chair and jack it out! Just one minute of jumping jacks is an easy way to get your heart pumping and blood flowing.

5. Smile. Smiling can actually make you happier. So go ahead—smile!

6. Go outside. You’ve probably heard the health buzz about vitamin D lately. Preliminary research suggests that vitamin D helps regulate the immune system, supports heart health, can help normalize blood pressure and promotes healthy aging. Vitamin D has also been linked to improved mood. If you have a minute to spare, step out into the sunshine!

7. Put on a favorite song. There’s nothing quite like your favorite music to perk you up and get you feeling good. Listening to music has been shown to improve immunity and release endorphins. Bonus points if you dance along!

8. Sit up straighter. Did you know that bad posture can put unnecessary stress on your low back? Take a minute to focus on sitting up straight with your shoulders down and back. Don’t you feel better already?

9. Be grateful. Write down five things you’re grateful for, no matter how large or small (your hair, your family, your morning cup of Joe—whatever). Do you feel more thankful, generous and overall happier after? Funny how a little reminder of what we have can turn a frown into a smile.

10. Tell a joke. Awake your inner child and tell a silly joke—whether it’s a knock-knock joke or even a funny line from a movie. Anything that gets you laughing is enough to get your happy endorphins flowing!

11. Do 10 pushups. Being strong is important, but having functional strength is even more important because it makes everyday activities easier to accomplish. A push-up is a great, quick exercise for building functional strength. Drop down and give me 10—or as many as you can do in 1 minute.

12. Encourage someone. Isn’t it interesting how you always seem to feel better after helping someone else feel better? Whether you post a supportive comment on a SparkFriend’s page or write a few kind words in a card or an email, taking a minute out to help someone can quickly boost your mood.

13. Set a goal for the day. Fact: People who set goals have more success than people who don’t. So why not take a few seconds and write down what you want to do today? Then, just commit to making it happen!

14. Focus on one thing you love about yourself. At times, we put so much effort in focusing on what we don’t like about ourselves that we fail to see the good. Take 60 seconds to think about what you like about you. Is it your eyes? Your strong legs? Your giving nature? Thinking about how great you are will instantly increase self-confidence.

15. Wash your hands. It seems like cold and flu season is always in full force (or just around the corner). One of the simplest and easiest ways to stay well year round is to wash your hands. All you need is warm water, soap and 20 seconds of rubbing to rid your hands of unwanted germs.

16. Compliment a stranger. What better way to make yourself feel good than to unexpectedly brighten someone else’s day? The next time you admire someone’s clothes, positive attitude or eyes—say so!

17. Try aromatherapy. A number of different smells can have a positive effect on your mind and body. For example, peppermint is known to calm the stomach while its smell can energize you through a workout. And the scent of jasmine has been shown to reduce anxiety. To benefit, grab some scented lotion and either take a whiff from the bottle or rub some on your hands.

18. Salute the sun. Sun salutations are a well-known set of yoga poses that are said to warm up the body and increase blood flow and flexibility. So grab your mat and do one or two sets—rain or shine!

19. Give yourself a mini-massage. Massage has a number of health benefits, including reducing stress, lowering blood pressure and speeding muscle repair. While you may not be able to spend the time or money getting one at a spa, pampering yourself with just 1 minute of self-massage by rubbing your own hands, feet or shoulders can do wonders.

20. Be absolutely present. When we are wrapped up with work, to-do lists, and just getting by, sometimes we can forget to focus on what we are doing in the here and now. Try spending a minute just being. Focus on sounds, smells and whatever else is going on around you; instead of thinking ahead to what you'll do next, think about what you're doing right now. You’ll be amazed at how peaceful you feel. Just be!

See? In the quest to be healthier, you don't have to spend a lot of time. Even if all you have is a few spare seconds here and there, you can make a positive difference in your overall health!

Here is a link to the entire articles, with links to how some of the items are done http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/wellness_articles.asp?id=1557

How about a little mini-challenge for today? See if you can do three of these things for yourself today -- surely you can take three minutes for you. :hippie:

And following with Maria's quote about good choices here is an article from sparkpeople.com that showed up today about 60 second fitness boosters -- we can all manage a few of these every day, right? :santa:

When it comes to losing weight or making healthy choices, you probably think that it takes hours at a gym plus long nights preparing and planning nutritious meals. What you may not realize is that quick and easy changes can really improve your immediate health and wellness.

So just how quick is quick? One minute—that’s it! Try any one of these 60-second activities to easily reap the healthy benefits.

1. Drink a tall glass of water. We all know the many health benefits of drinking water, but did you also know that even mild dehydration can cause fatigue? So, the next time you feel your energy waning, grab a glass of cold water and guzzle it down!

2. Twist it out. So many of us spend every weekday seated in front of a computer. Not only can sitting all day wreak havoc on your posture, but it can also compress your spine and exaggerate its curvature. Not fun. A simple twist can help undo this. As you sit in your desk chair, simply twist your upper-body to one side, hold for 30 seconds, and then repeat on the other side. If you have the space to sit on the floor, try this torso twist stretch. It’s guaranteed to make you feel better!

3. Take a deep breath. How often do you think about breathing? If you are like most people, you probably don’t think about it often enough. For a quick pick-me-up, simply take five deep breaths. Slowly inhale for at least five seconds and exhale for 10 seconds each time. Your body will thank you for the extra oxygen.

4. Do 20 jumping jacks. Research has shown that long periods of sitting can be detrimental to the body and our overall health. So get up out of that chair and jack it out! Just one minute of jumping jacks is an easy way to get your heart pumping and blood flowing.

6. Go outside. You’ve probably heard the health buzz about vitamin D lately. Preliminary research suggests that vitamin D helps regulate the immune system, supports heart health, can help normalize blood pressure and promotes healthy aging. Vitamin D has also been linked to improved mood. If you have a minute to spare, step out into the sunshine!

7. Put on a favorite song. There’s nothing quite like your favorite music to perk you up and get you feeling good. Listening to music has been shown to improve immunity and release endorphins. Bonus points if you dance along!

8. Sit up straighter. Did you know that bad posture can put unnecessary stress on your low back? Take a minute to focus on sitting up straight with your shoulders down and back. Don’t you feel better already?

9. Be grateful. Write down five things you’re grateful for, no matter how large or small (your hair, your family, your morning cup of Joe—whatever). Do you feel more thankful, generous and overall happier after? Funny how a little reminder of what we have can turn a frown into a smile.

10. Tell a joke. Awake your inner child and tell a silly joke—whether it’s a knock-knock joke or even a funny line from a movie. Anything that gets you laughing is enough to get your happy endorphins flowing!

11. Do 10 pushups. Being strong is important, but having functional strength is even more important because it makes everyday activities easier to accomplish. A push-up is a great, quick exercise for building functional strength. Drop down and give me 10—or as many as you can do in 1 minute.

12. Encourage someone. Isn’t it interesting how you always seem to feel better after helping someone else feel better? Whether you post a supportive comment on a SparkFriend’s page or write a few kind words in a card or an email, taking a minute out to help someone can quickly boost your mood.

13. Set a goal for the day. Fact: People who set goals have more success than people who don’t. So why not take a few seconds and write down what you want to do today? Then, just commit to making it happen!

14. Focus on one thing you love about yourself. At times, we put so much effort in focusing on what we don’t like about ourselves that we fail to see the good. Take 60 seconds to think about what you like about you. Is it your eyes? Your strong legs? Your giving nature? Thinking about how great you are will instantly increase self-confidence.

15. Wash your hands. It seems like cold and flu season is always in full force (or just around the corner). One of the simplest and easiest ways to stay well year round is to wash your hands. All you need is warm water, soap and 20 seconds of rubbing to rid your hands of unwanted germs.

16. Compliment a stranger. What better way to make yourself feel good than to unexpectedly brighten someone else’s day? The next time you admire someone’s clothes, positive attitude or eyes—say so!

17. Try aromatherapy. A number of different smells can have a positive effect on your mind and body. For example, peppermint is known to calm the stomach while its smell can energize you through a workout. And the scent of jasmine has been shown to reduce anxiety. To benefit, grab some scented lotion and either take a whiff from the bottle or rub some on your hands.

18. Salute the sun. Sun salutations are a well-known set of yoga poses that are said to warm up the body and increase blood flow and flexibility. So grab your mat and do one or two sets—rain or shine!

19. Give yourself a mini-massage. Massage has a number of health benefits, including reducing stress, lowering blood pressure and speeding muscle repair. While you may not be able to spend the time or money getting one at a spa, pampering yourself with just 1 minute of self-massage by rubbing your own hands, feet or shoulders can do wonders.

20. Be absolutely present. When we are wrapped up with work, to-do lists, and just getting by, sometimes we can forget to focus on what we are doing in the here and now. Try spending a minute just being. Focus on sounds, smells and whatever else is going on around you; instead of thinking ahead to what you'll do next, think about what you're doing right now. You’ll be amazed at how peaceful you feel. Just be!

See? In the quest to be healthier, you don't have to spend a lot of time. Even if all you have is a few spare seconds here and there, you can make a positive difference in your overall health!

Here is a link to the entire articles, with links to how some of the items are done http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/wellness_articles.asp?id=1557

How about a little mini-challenge for today? See if you can do three of these things for yourself today -- surely you can take three minutes for you. :hippie:
I did the twist and push ups so far! I will do one more today!

forgetpastmistakes.jpg

Another thought from my friends at sparkpeople.com :hippie:
LOVE!

****Spring thread update/ideas****

Good morning! First let me say, that I am so grateful to the biggest loser threads over the last couple of years. I am much healthier as we approach 2013 than I was when I started in 2010. And while the threads have been great, it is the people and support that matter. I have been chatting with Lisah, Pamela and Dona about ideas for January, since it appears that there does not appear to be anyone jumping on board to host the spring challenge.

Sometimes change is a good thing.:)

I would like to propose starting in January we try running the weight loss thread a little different.

What I propose is something similar to how the exercise thread is run. Each participant would set a goal for the month of pounds they would like to lose or a maintain range they would like to stay in. Once a week (on a set day) they will pm the host/hostess their weight. On the first post of the thread the hostess will report percentages lost toward goal. Colors would change similar to the exercise thread at 25, 50 75 and 100 percent.

The hostess would choose whether there is a QOTD and she can even ask for help with QOTD for that month. The commitment is only one month at a time, so it is much more doable and not such a huge burden on one or two individuals for an entire challenge.

Hosts can rotate on a monthly basis. At the beginning of each month the hostess will be responsible for letting everyone know when the weigh in days will be for that month.

Participants will be responsible for pm'ing the hostess their starting weight and their current weight on the weigh in days. They will also hopefully be motivated to chat about exercise and healthy living. I am hoping this new format will encourage some positive, helpful dialogue. :)

I have been thinking about this for a while and I think this format will really encourage people to break down their goals into manageable chunks. Folks who may not ever see their name on the top ten list will get to see their progress toward their goal.

And I think it will make it much easier for a host/hostess to manage without getting overwhelmed and dropping out.

Let me know what you think. I would love to take January and get things started.

Maria has suggested "WISH Away the Pounds" as a possible name.

So comments/thoughts? :goodvibes
I like this new idea! Since I'm "just" a maintainer, I've gotten a lot more into the exercise tracking thread. Maybe for the maintainers, it could list weeks maintaining out of the whole challenge? Since we won't have a percentage progress of weight loss to list. One thought - I originally joined the thread because of The Biggest Loser tie in - I was looking for something to jump start my weight loss and was a big fan of the show. Though I suppose that was 2009, so perhaps that theme would be less of a draw for newbies. I'm just stream-of-consciousness typing!

Happy Wednesday friends! Bright and sunny here now after a rainy start.

I got a great run/walk done on the TM at the Y bright and early this morning. I am definitely up for a 16 minute/mile sweep pace if I DID decide to do a half.... that is presuming I could keep it up for the full 13.1 miles. I did a little over 5 miles this morning of a walk/run in 75 minutes (which includede my warm-up and cool down). Not record breaking pace... and not even as fast as I was doing a few summers ago when I was regularly running, but enough to not get swept, right??

I had everything ready for work today but didn't get called. So it is a housework/catch up/etc day. Laundry on the line and I've done a bit of online window shopping and got some stuff on a cyber "wish list" to consider ordering for Christmas. Now to get laundry folded and soup made for lunch.

DD is presenting her senior project to the evaluators today at 4:30.... prayers and PD welcome! I know she will do great.

Anyone tackle yesterday's challenge to try a new vegetable recipe? I am planning to make kale mushroom soup today. I have made it once before but never wrote down the actual recipe, so I will do this today.

Here is a thought for today.....

Are you struggling to stay OP now that the challenge has ended? Or are you struggling with holiday eating and ready to throw in the towel until the new year? Take a minute to look back at your first post on our most recent BL challenge thread? (Or perhaps look back to your first post EVER on a BL thread.) Can you relive the enthusiasm and dedication you had that day? You were ready to ROCK THE WORLD and lose those unwanted pounds! You wanted to be the best version of YOU that you could be! Slim, trim, and most of all HEALTHY!

It isn't too late! You can still do it! You can finish 2012 on a HIGH NOTE (but a lower number ;) ). Take back the control from the food! You are more powerful than it is.

TTYL.........................P
I was struggling to stay OP for a few weeks BEFORE the challenge ended! About two weeks ago I refocused enough not to gain, but I'm not being vigilant enough to lose the pounds I put on. Between the holidays and the marathon, I just don't feel like I can make losing 4 pounds a priority, ya know? But I CAN get in my workouts, drink my water, and be mindful of my food choices. In addition, I've really gotten into yoga, which I'm enjoying and is helping me in multiple ways, but it's not exactly burning as many calories as an hour at the gym!

I'm not sure where each day is going - just flying by! I'll be back later tonight or tomorrow to comment more!

Howdy. I am just plugging away here. Seems like we were busy this weekend, but I can't think of what we did! DS2 was in the evening parade on Saturday. DH and I went to the town next door to see him and as soon as he and his giant drum were past us we high tailed it home! DH doesn't do cold--he would love to move to Florida!

Worked half a day today; I finally made it to the grocery store in the afternoon! Tomorrow I work a full day, take the dog to the vet to have his stitches removed then go to DS2's basketball game. Wednesday DS1 has all his wisdom teeth removed. That takes place an hour away so will be a fun drive home. :rotfl: There are basketball games both Thursday and Friday and someone asked me if I could sub for her on Friday.

Pamela, I hear ya on the ipad. I can't do anything on it, but then again, I never really try! internet, solitaire, and one spreadsheet for keeping track of my exercise minutes. That's the extent of my ability! :upsidedow

DH did some shopping over the weekend, so there's at least a dent in our unfinished list. The kids haven't taken their yearly photo at Walmart and the letter isn't written. Hey! I've still got 15 days!

Glad you got some stuff done and aren't stressing about the holiday "stuff" and the looming deadline!:thumbsup2

Glad to see we are all hanging in there during this tough time of the year. :santa:

Dona, hope you continue to recouperate and that the copier worked yesterday. :flower3:

Pamela, have fun at your pasta party tonight. princess:

Linda, hang in there! :flower3: Christmas break will be here soon.

I love this quote, Maria. :love: We really need to remember this especially this time of year.

I'm right with you working on shorter distances and weight loss after the Donald. We can do it! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Girls are here right now playing Just Dance and getting ready to eat.

Thanks for those great ideas to take care of yourself. I actually did a few of them today because I was feeling so crazy and stressed and of course I had a headache all day :headache: but I made it to Bible study, so that was taking care of myself, right?

Girls are ready to eat so I need to supervise and serve! BBL to chat unless I fall asleep:rotfl: .........P

Happy Wednesday morning friends!

I never made it back on last night. By the time the swim team friends were done eating and making t-shirts and I got the dishes done, I was wiped out! I actually went upstairs before all the girls had left. Hopefully no one noticed that I was being a bit impolite. They were playing Just Dance on the Wii, so I don't think I was missed.

Solved the problem of leftover cookies by sending them along with DS today to share with his fellow "Mathletes" at today's math meet. My own kids are a bit disappointed that there won't be any cookies for lunches, but I needed them gone. I am STRUGGLING this week to even stay close to OP. Not sure if it is hormonal cravings or just exhaustion talking, but from about 7pm on I want to eat everything that isn't nailed down!! Trying to pull it back into shape for the remainder of the week!

I am at work today, but it is an early release day, so it shouldn't be too taxing. I am actually wearing a skirt, stockings, and kitten heels! Go me! :rotfl: I knew I wouldn't have recess duty outside and figured I could handle a short day with stockings and a skirt.

DD did the SWEETEST thing for her swim team girls today. This is a first swim meet for many of them and a few of the newbies are REALLY struggling, even with the basics of diving off the block and doing a flip turn. But DD has been really proud of them for trying hard and improving and continuing to be there for 5:30 am practice every time. So she made them each a big star with a motivations saying and a short message from her and she went to school early to have it on everyone's locker when they arrive today! I hope that this encourages all of the girls and helps alleviate some nerves. I know a few of them are REALLY scared about the meet tonight. I'm so proud of DD for thinking of these girls and doing something to make them all feel special. She even remembered the homeschooled girl on the team and we got the star to her Mom last night so she can give it to her today.

One of the aides here just told me that the teacher I am subbing for is very sick (I am already scheduled to be in here tomorrow too), and I can hear the teacher next door coughing her head off.....:( I CANNOT afford to get sick right now. I'll be sure to find the Airborne when I get home today.

I've been PROMISING to share some stuff from the book I am reading and I keep forgetting.... but I have the book with me today so I will be back at 10 am when the kids go to Art to share a few juicy tidbits with you all!

Off to make copies....................P

I was struggling to stay OP for a few weeks BEFORE the challenge ended! About two weeks ago I refocused enough not to gain, but I'm not being vigilant enough to lose the pounds I put on. Between the holidays and the marathon, I just don't feel like I can make losing 4 pounds a priority, ya know? But I CAN get in my workouts, drink my water, and be mindful of my food choices. In addition, I've really gotten into yoga, which I'm enjoying and is helping me in multiple ways, but it's not exactly burning as many calories as an hour at the gym!
I am right there with you Nicole. I am up 4-5 pounds from where I would really like to be, but I am trying to see it as a victory that I am staying steady and not going up anymore. In addition to the marathon we have a little bit of added stress at our house right now, and it is really hard not to emotional eat, to stick with the meal plan, etc. I am trying really hard to at a MINIMUM get my workouts in, because I always feel better when I do.:goodvibes

Pamela--that was so sweet of your daughter. :goodvibes

Update on the new thread.
Since, the response has been mostly positive, unless someone jumps in and says they want to keep the old format and that they will be in charge, I am going to go ahead and post the new format probably on December 28 or 29th. Nicole is probably right, that without the BL tie in we might not get as many new people, but I am hoping for lots of motivation and that the folks who do participate will be excited to talk about healthy choices.

I like the idea of reporting weeks in maintain range for maintainers.:)

Hope everyone is having a good week. I am off to the Y and then getting my hair cut and colored today. I love getting my hair done. So relaxing.:goodvibes

I am right there with you Nicole. I am up 4-5 pounds from where I would really like to be, but I am trying to see it as a victory that I am staying steady and not going up anymore. In addition to the marathon we have a little bit of added stress at our house right now, and it is really hard not to emotional eat, to stick with the meal plan, etc. I am trying really hard to at a MINIMUM get my workouts in, because I always feel better when I do.:goodvibes

Good for you for sticking with the exercise. As a general rule, that is where I fail most often.

Thanks.... I'm always pleased when my teens can think of someone other than themselves. :thumbsup2

Since, the response has been mostly positive, unless someone jumps in and says they want to keep the old format and that they will be in charge, I am going to go ahead and post the new format probably on December 28 or 29th. Nicole is probably right, that without the BL tie in we might not get as many new people, but I am hoping for lots of motivation and that the folks who do participate will be excited to talk about healthy choices.

I'm excited that we are going to be starting something new! Hopefully we can stay active, but not crazy-busy! I'll be scoping out some new recipes to share!

Hope everyone is having a good week. I am off to the Y and then getting my hair cut and colored today. I love getting my hair done. So relaxing.:goodvibes

Enjoy your visit to the salon. You deserve to relax a bit!

Okay.... kids are off to art and then they have a very early lunch (10:30) and then recess on this shortened day.

Here is some "food for thought (pun intended) from the book I am still slogging through (The Thin Commandments):

The Sixth Thin Commandment: Take Control of Your Favorite Foods

"Your lifelong success at weight control depends on how well you handle the foods that tempt you the most."

"For those who are given to excess, abstinence is easier than moderation."

"Never say you can't have it. It's not true and it may trigger feelings of deprivation. Say to yourself instead, 'It doesn't work for me.' This way you don't fall into the Eve Complex of something becoming more attractive because it is forbidden. You can have all you want, whenever you want. But if you do, you will never have the life or the control that you want."

With those words of wisdom, I will sign off for now! Time to grab a snack to have while the kids have lunch.... because 10:30 am is FAR to early for brown rice, broccoli, and guacamole!! :lmao: TTYL.....................P

Sounds good!
I love getting my hair done too.
Sorry to hear about the stress you've been dealing with.
Without the marathon I think I'd have turned into a couch potato this month! Knowing I need to put in the training time, plus adding to the December exercise thread has kept me going.

Here is some "food for thought (pun intended) from the book I am still slogging through (The Thin Commandments):

"Your lifelong success at weight control depends on how well you handle the foods that tempt you the most."

"Never say you can't have it. It's not true and it may trigger feelings of deprivation. Say to yourself instead, 'It doesn't work for me.' This way you don't fall into the Eve Complex of something becoming more attractive because it is forbidden. You can have all you want, whenever you want. But if you do, you will never have the life or the control that you want."

With those words of wisdom, I will sign off for now! Time to grab a snack to have while the kids have lunch.... because 10:30 am is FAR to early for brown rice, broccoli, and guacamole!! :lmao: TTYL.....................P
I like the last quote the most. Thanks for sharing!

I loved this:

You can have all you want, whenever you want. But if you do, you will never have the life or the control that you want.

Exactly what I need to here right now. Thanks Pamela!

Didn't have a chance to get on yesterday. I did take up my own mini-challenge on Tuesday: I drank my water, I was like Rose and had my hair done so I focused on something I like about myself and I complimented a grandma at my son's concert on her Christmas sweater. Funny how you can do stuff that is fun and still have it be good for your health -- imagine that! :confused3

I did the twist and push ups so far! I will do one more today!

You can do it, Nicole! I agree the January race is a good way to make sure that you are up and at 'em. ::yes:: You're doing a great job staying active this month and will be ready to rock n' roll. :rockband:

DD did the SWEETEST thing for her swim team girls today. This is a first swim meet for many of them and a few of the newbies are REALLY struggling, even with the basics of diving off the block and doing a flip turn. But DD has been really proud of them for trying hard and improving and continuing to be there for 5:30 am practice every time. So she made them each a big star with a motivations saying and a short message from her and she went to school early to have it on everyone's locker when they arrive today! I hope that this encourages all of the girls and helps alleviate some nerves. I know a few of them are REALLY scared about the meet tonight. I'm so proud of DD for thinking of these girls and doing something to make them all feel special. She even remembered the homeschooled girl on the team and we got the star to her Mom last night so she can give it to her today.

Glad that pasta dinner went well and the girls had a good time, Pamela. That was so thoughtful of your daughter to go the extra mile to encourage her teammates! :flower3: I think your DD takes after her momma. ;)

Thanks for hostessing our first new thread, Rose! :flower3:

I had my hair cut and colored yesterday, too. It's good to feel pretty! princess: Or you can tell that we are close to marathon week-end and want to look good for our pictures. :lmao:

Okay.... kids are off to art and then they have a very early lunch (10:30) and then recess on this shortened day.

Love this quote, Pamela! :love:

I was digging around in the "WISH attic" (aka looking around for quotes, etc.) and look what I found! The 12 Days of Christmas WISH style! :santa:

On this day of the holiday challenge my true love gave to me . . . twelve losers losing, eleven maintainers maintaining, ten minutes leaping, nine moves of dancing, eight minutes relaxing, seven laps of swimming, six days of journalling, FIVE HAPPY WISH'ERS! Four motivating words, three sets of ten, two exercise gloves and a big glass of water for me!

Have a great day all! :santa:

Glad that pasta dinner went well and the girls had a good time, Pamela. That was so thoughtful of your daughter to go the extra mile to encourage her teammates! :flower3: I think your DD takes after her momma. ;)

Awww... thanks.:flower3:

Thanks for hostessing our first new thread, Rose! :flower3:

I had my hair cut and colored yesterday, too. It's good to feel pretty! princess: Or you can tell that we are close to marathon week-end and want to look good for our pictures. :lmao:

And I'm sure you'll look great!!

Love this quote, Pamela! :love:

I was digging around in the "WISH attic" (aka looking around for quotes, etc.) and look what I found! The 12 Days of Christmas WISH style! :santa:

On this day of the holiday challenge my true love gave to me . . . twelve losers losing, eleven maintainers maintaining, ten minutes leaping, nine moves of dancing, eight minutes relaxing, seven laps of swimming, six days of journalling, FIVE HAPPY WISH'ERS! Four motivating words, three sets of ten, two exercise gloves and a big glass of water for me!

Have a great day all! :santa:

How fun!! DD definitely gets in the "seven laps of swimming" and I could really use the "eight minutes relaxing" right about now!

Morning friends! At work today, but in another class. oh well.

Last night's swim meet went well. All of our girls made it off the block and finished their events! That is all we were hoping for with some of our newbies and they were all super excited to actually finish their races with no DQs! It was exciting to see the girl who couldn't dive off the block at the start of the season actually go off the block (kind of a dive/belly flop, but I give her HUGE props for doing it!!) and finish her 50 freestyle! She was SO proud of herself.... it nearly makes me want to cry. DD also brought home a first place finish in the 50 freestyle, which was exciting, as we were up against three other high schools with pretty significant swim teams (compared to our little group of 9). Wasn't a PB time for her, just a little off, but good enough for a win!

I'm not sure what my problem is lately, but my eating has been sloppy.... I've barely journaled all week (just kind of scribbling after the fact) and I'm eating things I normally wouldn't and I definitely SHOULDN'T. And even TODAY.... the day before weigh-in, I still didn't even pull it together for a decent healthy breakfast!! :confused: I'm convinced I am just overtired and stressed about my lack of preparedness for the upcoming holiday. I am NOT working tomorrow and am hoping to get a TON of shopping done to help with my stress level. We have two swim meets coming up in the next 5 days (one club and one HS) that will keep me busy, so I MUST get this stuff done! And we have to pick out our tree and get it into the house this weekend as well. This is NOT the way I should be finishing out the year!! I cannot afford to be up any pounds before Christmas day!!

I've got my Thin Commandments book with me again today and plan on delving into it to give me some added motivation for these next 12 days! If you have any advice to offer, that would be great!

I hope you all are well and happy today. It is clear and sunny, but pretty cold here (25 degrees at 7 am). I HATE this cold weather but the sun makes me happy. And not having outdoor recess duty today makes me happy as well!:rotfl:

Off to prepare for my 4th graders!! TTYL...............P

Hello all :) I have such exciting news

IM GOING TO DISNEY!!!!
We are booked at AKL in a one bedroom villa May 1-8...kids are super excited as am I. Now to get my a$$ in gear so I feel better on the trip :)

IM GOING TO DISNEY!!!!
We are booked at AKL in a one bedroom villa May 1-8...kids are super excited as am I. Now to get my a$$ in gear so I feel better on the trip :)

No better motivator on the planet than the thought of lots of DISNEY pictures in your future!!:rotfl: Stick around with us through the holiday and then be ready for the new challenge near the first of the year!!

Early May is a SUPER time to go! I've done it twice and it was wonderful!

Kids are off to gym, so I have a few minutes. Need to do some thinking and list making to help get myself ready for tomorrow's big shop! I have a 5% off Target Pharmacy Reward and I want to put it to its best use, so I need to be ready!

Not sure where my exercise will be fit in today. I will have some time tonight while DD is at swim practice, but I'd really like to hit the stores in Nashua. Maybe I'll have time for both. :confused3 I know the exercise is important, but I am literally having nightmares about not having gifts bought right now and I think, for my mental health and well-being, I need to get some shopping DONE!

I'm off to check my other threads (scrapping and budget board) and hopefully have a few minutes to read my book!..............P

Jen--that's exciting about your trip! :)

I have my last really long run tomorrow. The goal is 23 miles. We are supposed to have scattered showers, so fingers crossed they don't start until we are done or almost done. I think after this I will be able to relax a bit. :)

Hope everyone has a great Friday!

I'm not sure what my problem is lately, but my eating has been sloppy.... I've barely journaled all week (just kind of scribbling after the fact) and I'm eating things I normally wouldn't and I definitely SHOULDN'T. And even TODAY.... the day before weigh-in, I still didn't even pull it together for a decent healthy breakfast!! :confused: I'm convinced I am just overtired and stressed about my lack of preparedness for the upcoming holiday. I am NOT working tomorrow and am hoping to get a TON of shopping done to help with my stress level. We have two swim meets coming up in the next 5 days (one club and one HS) that will keep me busy, so I MUST get this stuff done! And we have to pick out our tree and get it into the house this weekend as well. This is NOT the way I should be finishing out the year!! I cannot afford to be up any pounds before Christmas day!!

I've got my Thin Commandments book with me again today and plan on delving into it to give me some added motivation for these next 12 days! If you have any advice to offer, that would be great!

I hope you all are well and happy today. It is clear and sunny, but pretty cold here (25 degrees at 7 am). I HATE this cold weather but the sun makes me happy. And not having outdoor recess duty today makes me happy as well!:rotfl:

Pamela, hope that you were able to get some of the Christmas items on your to do list checked off and get in your 8 minutes of relaxing. :santa:

Hang in there on the eating and just take it one day at a time. You are running in a lot of directions all at once and subbing last minute. Might be time for a pjlla plan! ::yes::

IM GOING TO DISNEY!!!!

That is exciting news, Jen! I love AKL. :love: Do you know if you are in Kidani or Jambo? Expedition Everest 5K Challenge is that same week and registration just opened if that is something that you would like to look into. :cool2:

Jen--that's exciting about your trip! :)

I have my last really long run tomorrow. The goal is 23 miles. We are supposed to have scattered showers, so fingers crossed they don't start until we are done or almost done. I think after this I will be able to relax a bit. :)

Hope everyone has a great Friday!

Good luck on your 23 miles tomorrow, Rose! :thumbsup2 I'm sure you will do great and be all ready for that best of training times . . . taper!

I'm down 6 pounds for the month. :yay: 4 to go for my challenge. I'm going to be ready to keep on moving forward in January. :yay:

Have a great day all! :goodvibes

I'm down 6 pounds for the month. :yay: 4 to go for my challenge. I'm going to be ready to keep on moving forward in January. :yay:

Have a great day all! :goodvibes
That is so awesome Lisa! I am so proud of you and excited for you! :cool1:

I spent some time typing up the first two posts for the new thread which I will post ~Dec 28th.

If anyone is interested in coaching please pm me. I would like the coaches to do qotd for the month I am hostessing.:goodvibes
Here are the dates available. Because of the way the challenge is being run AND because of marathon weekend, the dates are a little different than normal.

January 1-9 Rose
January 10-17
January 18-24
January 25-31

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter