Biggest Loser 9 Spring challenge -- Part 2! HERE WE ARE! :)

Happy Thursday everyone! Hope it's a great day for you!
I got my 25 lb siggie back :) Wahoo!!:banana: And I want to thank you all for being here--for your positive and supportive posts--what a fabulously wonderful group of people you are!!

QOTD - It's just DH and I at home--and though it took about a month before he started to make changes himself - it has rubbed off and he is making progress too. :) He actually reads labels now before putting something into the shopping cart and doesn't bring home as many junk food treats as he used to. He chooses yogurt instead of bringing home ice cream--all of which I greatly appreciate. And it was all from example--no nagging--though I do talk a lot more about calories and such than I used to (a bit obsessive myself right now).

Good luck for a great day - and a happy peaceful weigh in tomorrow morning!
:) Liz

Happy Thursday everyone! Hope it's a great day for you!
I got my 25 lb siggie back :) Wahoo!!:banana: And I want to thank you all for being here--for your positive and supportive posts--what a fabulously wonderful group of people you are!!

QOTD - It's just DH and I at home--and though it took about a month before he started to make changes himself - it has rubbed off and he is making progress too. :) He actually reads labels now before putting something into the shopping cart and doesn't bring home as many junk food treats as he used to. He chooses yogurt instead of bringing home ice cream--all of which I greatly appreciate. And it was all from example--no nagging--though I do talk a lot more about calories and such than I used to (a bit obsessive myself right now).

Good luck for a great day - and a happy peaceful weigh in tomorrow morning!
:) Liz

Hooray! Great job reclaiming your 25 siggie!!:banana:

It is my WISH team logo. If you go over to the events/competition thread, there are a bunch of teams that support each other. It is mainly centered on our walking/running but we also chat about just a healthy lifestyle in general.

I love that you have been such a positive influence on your child. It is so amazing how kids will change their habits from watching the positive changes you make! Way to go! Your daughter may not get it yet but she will be so grateful to you for helping her learn to be a healthier person!

Have a great trip and enjoy your spring break!!!

Can anyone join? I want to join the rebel alliance!!

Thanks!:goodvibes DD has been a great support for me and I love that it's going both ways.

QOTD: I haven't enforced any new rules or anything like that, just doing my own thing and I'm happy that my family is following me. We're all walking or running a 5k in May; we're all eating healthy (dd can't believe you don't let your kids eat you Skinny Cows Anne! Although she does think it's funny that they all know not too.:rotfl:) DH has started the P90X 2 weeks ago. I love it!

Can anyone join? I want to join the rebel alliance!!

Yep, anyone can join. I know that they are trying to keep the teams at a smaller size to help us support each other better but you are always welcome to request to be on a specific team and I am sure the Rebels would love to have you! Feel free to check out our thread and ask to join if you want! I know there are many teams that have people from the BL challenge on them.

Join us! It is great support for training!!!:yay:

Things have certainly been rough for you lately. I hope they improve SOON! And yes, I would LOVE that recipe!!

Good luck feeding your Step-daughter. Take it from a mom who knows how hard it is! DS is super picky and has significant food allergies. Feeding him is difficult, bordering on impossible. And honestly, most of the time he would rather GO HUNGRY than eat something healthy that I put in front of him. Let me know what works for you!

Glad you found your way back to us here! Keep up the Zumba, cut down the calories, and you will be right back on the program with us!! Nice job stocking the fridge properly. That is a big first step back in the right direction.

Evening all! Just a little brag moment here...

DD (freshman) won the NHIAA Sportsmanship award for her high school swim team tonight!! I am SO proud of her... it shows that she isn't just a good swimmer (one of only three to make it to States) and a great student (also a scholar athlete award winner), but she is a GOOD PERSON!!! I gotta say, I must have done SOMETHING right somewhere along the way!!

Thanks for the moment to brag! Gotta go watch SURVIVOR!.....P

:cool1::cool1:Congratulations to your daughter :cool1::cool1: And to you too Mom ;)

QOTD: My family has to be on board since DH and I are both eating better. I do not make separate meals for the boys, they can eat what we make or they can have a bowl of cereal.

Pamela I completely missed your post! Congrats to your dd! What a great accomplishment! And congrats to you on supporting and raising her! :cheer2:

QOTD: What have you done to get your family on board with your new healthy lifestyle? Are they excited to try new things with you or do they grumble about the changes?
DD is a picky two year old - even kid favorites like mac&cheese can be good one day and shoved across the table the next. On the plus side, some of her favorite foods are oatmeal, raw broccoli, soy milk, unsweetened applesauce, and bananas. On the negative side, she doesn't like any actual meals so she doesn't get much nutrition at lunch or dinner.
DH would eat alternate meat lover's pizza and cheeseburgers for every meal if he could. But last year he became more conscious about his weight for the first time ever. He still loves unhealthy foods and eating at restaurants but he's been willing to try new things. He's definitely not excited about healthy food changes, but he's okay. He has gotten more into exercise, which is great.

I'm coming off of a full week where all I could think about was food (hormone related). I was feeling pessimistic, very stressed about work/life, and all I wanted to do was eat every treat I could find (and I pretty much did that). I did work out every day but not as intense as I usually would. Today I'm finally emerging from the funk. And with weigh in tomorrow, I'll at least make today count. I'm determined to be under my calories, drink my water and get in a great last chance workout. It won't make up for the rest of the week, but it's a good jump back onto plan.

Pamela - Congrats to you and your DD!

I had to use google to remember what movie used "great big beautiful tomorrow" but I really shouldn't have remembered it.
QUOTE]

Umm, I took it from the Carousel of Progress ride at the Magic Kingdom -- I didn't know it's in a movie! :goodvibes

QOTD: What have you done to get your family on board with your new healthy lifestyle? Are they excited to try new things with you or do they grumble about the changes?

Well, they like some things -- ww mac and cheese recipe, fruit, some veggies -- but my ds and dh still eat "regular" chips and treats when I will go for the "diet" version. I actually got dh started with doing races, and now he loves it and does many more than I do!

Wow! Pamela I missed your post, too! I know you are so proud, and deservedly so! Good job, Mama! You are clearly doing many things right!

Jennz (and anyone else who's interested) -- The WISH teams are really fun, mine has been a huge source of support, and we also just chat about fun stuff, too! For example, current discussion on Team Ohana -- who should play the roles in the new Stephanie Plum movie? Katherine Heigl has been cast as Stephanie, and we all have opinions about Ranger, Morelli, Lula, etc...any thoughts? And I agree, Team Rebel Alliance has such a cool name! :ewok:

And to the other tween moms -- my ds turned 12 in January, and he asked me the other day if he was getting too fat. This kid has my dh's body type, meaning he is skinny. He falls exactly at the 50th percentile for his age on weight, and over the 80th for height. He's also been a gymnast for 6 years, there's no fat on this kid -- so I was taken aback :scared1: Apparently that's what the 6th grade talked about at lunch yesterday -- I think we have to try to be as proactive as we can to promote health and healthy body image, 'cause when they listen to each other...:rolleyes1

Sending a :grouphug: to all the educators -- what you do is incredible, and invaluable. Thank you for teaching our kids, they need you!

Ok, so doing great with the food today -- I'm well within my points and shouldn't have any problem staying there -- salmon, brown rice and steamed veggies for dinner! I also finally got up and did 5M on the TM this morning, so I can actually enjoy the sunshiney day when I get home and celebrate by putting away the :laundy:. I know, but believe it or not, it will make me happy to empty that basket and have everything put away...it's the little things.

Maria :upsidedow

Thanks for the info on the teams! I'm also so hesitant about joining an established group, like I'm an outsider. My own hang up. :)

I'm soooo glad your son asked you about that and didn't just listen to what his peers said! Great opportunity for you to have that discussion. I throw out comments all the time because like you said, they're talking about it at school.

There's a new WISH team that's just forming -- the Incredibles -- I definitely saw some other BL participants on the list...definitely not an established group, and looks like a good and friendly one!

Maria :upsidedow

It is dh and one ds. Both dh and this ds need to lose some weight. (Ds who is at college is build like his father (who didn't gain weight until he was 35) and is lucky if he breaks 150 pounds at 6ft. He almost couldn't hike a few years ago because his weight was so low.)

The guys at home had to get used to the fact that I am not buying anything that I don't want to eat. Dh is starting to get on board. He got rid of the chocolate syrup that he bought to go with the ice cream from last week. He has also given up soda on every day of the week except friday and saturday.

He and I have been talking about doing some hiking this summer and he took me out last week and we bought me a pair of hiking shoes. At least hiking is cheap so our vacation money can go to ds2 who wants to take a couple of classes during the summer. We are also planning to go kayaking this summer. We have kayaks and he has a truck so it is an easy thing for the 2 of us to do. I think we are going to do a lot of camping this summer.

Ds1 is built like his uncle who has always been a little chunky. Ds put on a lot of weight when he was at college because all he ate was fast food. Ds will go out and buy his own snacks after he eats dinner and it is driving me crazy. If he doesn't like what I make for dinner he goes out and get something to eat. He is training for a half marathon next month and is really not getting his nutrients like he should be. He will start out one week very healthy but by the end of the day he is eating his crappy snacks. But he is almost 25 so he has to learn for himself. He knows the risk factors and the fact that high blood pressure runs in my family.

I wish you moms of tweens a lot of luck. It is a fine line you need to walk so that they don't get into any bad habits that could lead to problems.

Have a good evening everyone. Off to cook dinner. Chicken, stuffing and peas. I will post the COW later before I head to yoga.

Well... I am definitely NOT buying as much junk food as I used to... chips, ice cream, and store bought cookies are MUCH harder to find in our house now. But I've always "run" a fairly healthy kitchen, so the biggest changes have been things like portion sizes and snacking (or lack of). The junk food is now an occasional weekend "splurge" food.

Nope... no one is on board with me. DD keeps her weight under control with swimming (although she is leaning towards the tendency to have trigger foods and do some emotional eating, so she will have to be careful as she gets older). DS is slim... plus he is picky and has food allergies...I think he just lives his life constantly hungry, but doesn't really care. DH is overweight... he knows it and he will (hopefully) get on board with me someday. But I don't push it. He will do it when he is ready.

I do get a few grumbles and complaints about specific things.... like meals without starches (double green veggies and no potatoes or rice), vegetarian meals, things like that.. but not too much. They just don't eat it if they don't like it. But I try VERY VERY HARD to serve something that everyone can enjoy.

Not really any time to talk here now that I have spent the last 30 minutes catching up! I've gotta serve dinner before we head to the Y tonight!.....P

Ugh. Teeth still hurting too much to exercise. Less pain than Monday, though.

QOTD: My family is a mixed sort. DH is very obese. He has started walking, with fast walking on the run parts, of C25K. Big step for him. DD1, competitive gymnast, is our alien baby. She's short and tiny! BUT, if she ever quits gymnastics, she'll be short and HUGE! She loves junk food, as does her sister. DD2 is very chunky for a 3 year old. I am really, really worried. Yet I know the basis. DH and I come from families that eat whatever, whenever. When I had DD with me for the majority of 2 months for snow days, she lost 4 pounds. She's gained them back in 3 weeks of staying with grandparents. There is NO junk food in my house, so she pigs out there. I have talked until I am blue in the face, but it's just not helping. I know it's because they are ALL going through a lot right now, but I wish they would help.. I try sooo hard. We talk about healthy choices, exercise, etc, even at 3. She loves fruit and raw veggies, and that is what my whole family snacks on here. I try to have healthy dinners, but eating crap all day does nothing for her. Sometimes, she'll have just an apple for dinner, full from all the mess she's had during the day. I hope when they feel better, she can get outside and run around more during the day.

Ugh. Teeth still hurting too much to exercise. Less pain than Monday, though.

QOTD: My family is a mixed sort. DH is very obese. He has started walking, with fast walking on the run parts, of C25K. Big step for him. DD1, competitive gymnast, is our alien baby. She's short and tiny! BUT, if she ever quits gymnastics, she'll be short and HUGE! She loves junk food, as does her sister. DD2 is very chunky for a 3 year old. I am really, really worried. Yet I know the basis. DH and I come from families that eat whatever, whenever. When I had DD with me for the majority of 2 months for snow days, she lost 4 pounds. She's gained them back in 3 weeks of staying with grandparents. There is NO junk food in my house, so she pigs out there. I have talked until I am blue in the face, but it's just not helping. I know it's because they are ALL going through a lot right now, but I wish they would help.. I try sooo hard. We talk about healthy choices, exercise, etc, even at 3. She loves fruit and raw veggies, and that is what my whole family snacks on here. I try to have healthy dinners, but eating crap all day does nothing for her. Sometimes, she'll have just an apple for dinner, full from all the mess she's had during the day. I hope when they feel better, she can get outside and run around more during the day.

Is DD your daughter? Why is she with grandparents for three week? Do they watch her during the day or does she live there? Not trying to be nosey, just trying to figure it out. If you ARE talking about your daughter, then YOU have the control over what she is fed!! If she goes to grandparents for daycare/babysitting, and you don't like what they are feeding her... TELL THEM... loud and clear. If they don't listen, then bring food for her to them. Tell them WHAT she is to eat. If they don't comply, then you need to look into finding another daycare provider!! I suppose that sounds harsh, but if she is overweight ALREADY at age 3, then change needs to happen NOW, before it gets worse! If they are not willing to see that they are doing her LONG-TERM HARM by feeding her in this way, then they shouldn't be caring for her.

Don't let them undermine all of the hardwork you are doing to teach her HEALTHY habits! I'm sure that they love her... but maybe they don't understand the risks associated with being overweight. How would they feel is she was diagnosed with Type II diabetes at age 7?

You are obviously struggling with some weight/healthy eating issues and you said DH was overweight. Don't you want your daughter to have learned EARLY in life how to avoid these problems? TALK to the grandparents... in a serious way. Explain to them what needs to change. Cookies AREN'T love. LOVE is love... cookies are just a snack. They can show love without food!

Sorry to go all nutty on you there............P

QOTD: We use more ground turkey in the family now! DDs like to work out with me. DH eats what I give him. When I first started my diet, he lost 10 pounds without knowing it as I cut down serving sizes. We have actually decided that we enjoy the ground turkey better than the beef. DH and I eat WW and LC meals and are now also eating the Boston Market meals. Some are lower in calories than others.

:sick:DH is getting a cold and my tummy is rumbly. I have a massage to give at 6:30 so we just finished eating. Hoping DH feels better as we have a night out with friends planned for tomorrow night as well as a free baby-sitter.

Time to get ready for work. Be back by 8! We'll both probably be in bed early tonight. No clients so far for tomorrow so I'll probably stay home and clean and rest up for a night out! Just hope we can go!

Is DD your daughter? Why is she with grandparents for three week? Do they watch her during the day or does she live there? Not trying to be nosey, just trying to figure it out. If you ARE talking about your daughter, then YOU have the control over what she is fed!! If she goes to grandparents for daycare/babysitting, and you don't like what they are feeding her... TELL THEM... loud and clear. If they don't listen, then bring food for her to them. Tell them WHAT she is to eat. If they don't comply, then you need to look into finding another daycare provider!! I suppose that sounds harsh, but if she is overweight ALREADY at age 3, then change needs to happen NOW, before it gets worse! If they are not willing to see that they are doing her LONG-TERM HARM by feeding her in this way, then they shouldn't be caring for her.

Don't let them undermine all of the hardwork you are doing to teach her HEALTHY habits! I'm sure that they love her... but maybe they don't understand the risks associated with being overweight. How would they feel is she was diagnosed with Type II diabetes at age 7?

You are obviously struggling with some weight/healthy eating issues and you said DH was overweight. Don't you want your daughter to have learned EARLY in life how to avoid these problems? TALK to the grandparents... in a serious way. Explain to them what needs to change. Cookies AREN'T love. LOVE is love... cookies are just a snack. They can show love without food!

Sorry to go all nutty on you there............P

Can you call them? Maybe they'll listen to you :laughing:
Yes, they are my childcare during the day. Didn't mean to make it sound like I leave her there for weeks at the time. I have talked until I am BLUE in the face, and they'll get better, for a while. Like I've mentioned, my Daddy passed away in Sept., shortly thereafter my husband's grandmother went into the hospital/rehab for 2 months, then my father in law had knee replacement and MIL got shingles. She was a little overweight, but not bad, until this school year. Granted, I have been struggling mentally and physically, also.

I breastfed her for over 2 years, and she did the Baby Super Foods Diet until the middle of last school year. Kelp, oats, tofu,veggies, etc. When they started giving her "real" food as they called it, it, she got hooked on mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, and chicken nuggets. Out with what I packed, and it became tv dinners as they had their own struggles. You are exactly right. She is ours, and I need to start packing her healthy foods again. I really wish I could just clean out their cabinets, so the other options wouldn't be there for her.

Honestly, paying for childcare isn't an option for us. Not only financially, but b/c I disagree with the 1 childcare center here, and I am a firm believer in family time for small children. I haven't said much this year, b/c of circumstances, but I am getting more and more frustrated and will just have to lay it on the line again. And, I need DH to talk to his parents. I just wish they would look at what they did to him, and turn around.

I'm enjoying reading everyone's posts tonight. :goodvibes

I was so hungry tonight. I'm glad we have no junk food (except chocolate ice cream) in the house. I had dinner around 6:30, and just finished a fat free greek yogurt. It was plain, so I added a little bit of honey to it. I just started eating greek yogurt this week, because I'm still looking for some easy vegetarian protein sources. It's hard to believe it's fat free, because it's so creamy. I can see why people use it to sub for sour cream. I ended up getting the organic because the regular brand had gelatin in it.

DH's plane is in the air, so he will make it home tonight. I'm really glad, because I was starting to get a little lonely. He's only been gone since Monday, but our house is very quiet since ds is in college. Isn't it funny how when our kids are little we wish for peace and quiet and when they get older and go away we wish for noise?

Hope everyone has a great evening and a great weigh-in tomorrow!
Rose

Thanks for the info on the teams! I'm also so hesitant about joining an established group, like I'm an outsider. My own hang up. :)

Jenn - There is a new team forming that does have some WISH members. The Rebel Alliance had a lot of spots open too so most of us on my team are just getting to know one another. When I joined in February, there were only a couple of people. It is a great and supportive group. We talk exercising, some diet and just life. If you want to join in...please feel free! You will not be an outsider...YOU KNOW ME! :goodvibes Seriously, if you want me to help get you going on the team, drop me a PM and I will get you going! It is amazing how great it is to have the support of the team!

DH is very obese. He has started walking, with fast walking on the run parts, of C25K. Big step for him. DD1, competitive gymnast, is our alien baby. She's short and tiny! BUT, if she ever quits gymnastics, she'll be short and HUGE! She loves junk food, as does her sister. DD2 is very chunky for a 3 year old. I am really, really worried. Yet I know the basis. DH and I come from families that eat whatever, whenever. When I had DD with me for the majority of 2 months for snow days, she lost 4 pounds. She's gained them back in 3 weeks of staying with grandparents. There is NO junk food in my house, so she pigs out there. I have talked until I am blue in the face, but it's just not helping. I know it's because they are ALL going through a lot right now, but I wish they would help.. I try sooo hard. We talk about healthy choices, exercise, etc, even at 3. She loves fruit and raw veggies, and that is what my whole family snacks on here. I try to have healthy dinners, but eating crap all day does nothing for her. Sometimes, she'll have just an apple for dinner, full from all the mess she's had during the day. I hope when they feel better, she can get outside and run around more during the day.

First, it is so great that your DH is using the C25K to get the exercise he obviously needs! I think it is incredible that he is getting out there and going. It doesn't even matter that he is not running at this point, the fact is he is trying! Big cheers for him! :cheer2:

Next, I am so sorry that you are seeing this problem in in DD who is just 3. I can tell that you are worried and want to make changes. I don't have an easy answer for you but I just want to let you know we are here for you. :grouphug:

DH's plane is in the air, so he will make it home tonight. I'm really glad, because I was starting to get a little lonely. He's only been gone since Monday, but our house is very quiet since ds is in college. Isn't it funny how when our kids are little we wish for peace and quiet and when they get older and go away we wish for noise?

Hope everyone has a great evening and a great weigh-in tomorrow!
Rose

Rose - Glad to read DH is on his way home! Hope you enjoy your time together!!! :)

Home from work! Client with cancer who loves massages! Said it was the best massage she ever had! A dear friend of hers had given her a gift certificate! Very sweet lady. Praying for her! It made me feel good to help her feel good! Nights like this are when I am so glad I became a massage therapist! It's very rewarding sometimes.

DH is still feeling lousy.:sick: My tummy is not the greatest and I'm actually thinking of heading to bed shortly. I think it's from the enchiladas! Just hope it feels better and DH is feeling better so we can enjoy Cheesecake Factory tomorrow night. Don't want to miss out on my free night out!

I'm going to give myself 2 weeks to get back down to 155. If I have not lost what I gained in the last week by then I will take down my 45 pound clippie and go back to my 40 pounder. It will be motivation to get back down again!

Enjoy the rest of the night, friends!

Home from work! Client with cancer who loves massages! Said it was the best massage she ever had! A dear friend of hers had given her a gift certificate! Very sweet lady. Praying for her! It made me feel good to help her feel good! Nights like this are when I am so glad I became a massage therapist! It's very rewarding sometimes.

DH is still feeling lousy.:sick: My tummy is not the greatest and I'm actually thinking of heading to bed shortly. I think it's from the enchiladas! Just hope it feels better and DH is feeling better so we can enjoy Cheesecake Factory tomorrow night. Don't want to miss out on my free night out!

I'm going to give myself 2 weeks to get back down to 155. If I have not lost what I gained in the last week by then I will take down my 45 pound clippie and go back to my 40 pounder. It will be motivation to get back down again!

Enjoy the rest of the night, friends!

Hey Tracey - That is so nice that you were able to give the woman a great massage. I wish you lived in MN...my dearest friend's mom has cancer - she went to a spa for a massage the other day and the refused to give her one because they did not want to spread her cancer! She already feels bad enough and then to be told she could not go to the spa was horrible!

Anyway...I think it is great that you have sent a 2 week goal! You can do it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter