• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Big runDisney announcement coming in April

Probably. I think that people who don't go to the gym often or at least not to regular gyms are under the impression that everyone sits there staring at everyone and judging them. That just isn't the case. Anyone who cares about fitness is happy for anyone who is in there bettering themselves.

That's all well and good, but if you came up to the machine next to mine, Frank, I would be intimidated or at the least self conscious.

That's all well and good, but if you came up to the machine next to mine, Frank, I would be intimidated or at the least self conscious.

I'd be just the same way and I know a few males who would be compelled to 'keep up' with whatever they saw someon else doing. It's not right, or mature, really, but everyone thinks differently.

Aw shucks...kicks dirt.

I'd be just the same way and I know a few males who would be compelled to 'keep up' with whatever they saw someon else doing. It's not right, or mature, really, but everyone thinks differently.

There is a fine line between running or working out with someone who is better than you to push yourself and pushing too hard trying to keep up or beat them. In the gym, especially with weights, trying to keep up with someone who can do more than you is a great way to end up injured.

I'd say "a few people", rather than a few men, but yeah, I agree. We have several uber-competitive women at the local Y (as well as some men of that stripe).

I have to agree with the disappointment in this announcement. First the time of year is off and second I am a little sad to see another female focused half. Yes I am female, but I agree that all races should be gender neutral. I agree that Disney should have made mention to it being female focused in the beginning of the giving out clues...if I was male and I had followed along I would be pretty angry after the annoucement. Thats just my opinion and I am just agreeing with some others on this thread. I really thought Disney was going to break out something fantastic and new...but this just seems like a sad second version of the princess half...oh well!

SO...
has anyone read about the Nathan's Hotdogs eating contest women-only division?

Gotta love America.

I am thankful that we are able to express our opinions freely. And I think the comments have been respectful on this thread.

I did a 5K this evening and the results made me think of this thread immediately. The top 4 overall finishers went:

1.>man
2.>woman
3.>man
4.>woman

and the difference between first and second place was about 3 feet.

One of the many great things about the sport IMO.

I did a 5K this evening and the results made me think of this thread immediately. The top 4 overall finishers went:

1.>man
2.>woman
3.>man
4.>woman

Ah, but how many were wearing a pair of green wings?

1.>man
2.>woman
3.>man
4.>woman

Was #5 a eunuch? And were first or third?;);)

Ah, but how many were wearing a pair of green wings?

None as far as I could tell.

Was #5 a eunuch? And were first or third?;);)

Well, to be fair I based the gender on what they put down on the registration page. I didn't really do any further investigating so I could have been duped. I didn't get the "Hey, you have an awfully large back for a girl and I love the Adam's apple" vibe from either of them though. If it weren't so cold and windy it probably would have been much more obvious. :goodvibes

It does kind of bring up another point though for say people who identify differently gender-wise. I wonder if someone looks one way but identifies another and is mid-transition or something would difficulty in a race that treats men and women differently.

Does anyone know who is sponsoring the race? I mean, the Princess Half is sponsored by Lady Footlocker so I thought it could have possibly be sponsored by another woman specific sponsor. However, after looking around, I don't think this is the case this time...

Also, they're offering co-ed awards for Tinkerbell and Princess Half Marathon... now I don't remember them offering that last year for the Princess, but I could very well be wrong :confused3

Does anyone know who is sponsoring the race? I mean, the Princess Half is sponsored by Lady Footlocker so I thought it could have possibly be sponsored by another woman specific sponsor. However, after looking around, I don't think this is the case this time...

Also, they're offering co-ed awards for Tinkerbell and Princess Half Marathon... now I don't remember them offering that last year for the Princess, but I could very well be wrong :confused3

None of that really matters AFAIK. Men's Health sponsors the Urbanathlon and even though they have a highly male demo, much like Lady Footlocker has a highly female demo, they give the same awards to the women as to the men. They have the same age categories and they have an Athena division to compliment the Clydesdale division.

The Urbanathlon also has a team competition but unlike Disney they aren't telling the women that the only way they can possibly be worthy enough to lay hands on a precious award is to team up with a man and do it co-ed. They can compete solo or on a team (even an all female team) and are still treated as equals.

Even if Massengill sponsored the event there is no reason to be sexist about who you deem worthy enough to fully participate in your race.

Hopefully when RunDisney gets back from Florence they will read this thread. That one was just for my Facebook friends. :)

I had a thought I wanted to put out there to the disappointed guys. If you consider the race but aren't happy to have a Tink medal/shirt. Perhaps do the race and donate those two things to a Children's Hospital. There is most certainly a little girl who would love to have it and really appreciate your effort.

I'm not saying this makes Disney's decision right or anything. Just a thought. I know there is a much bigger picture here. But for those guys who really just want to do the race and don't care for the medal, it's just a thought.

I had a thought I wanted to put out there to the disappointed guys. If you consider the race but aren't happy to have a Tink medal/shirt. Perhaps do the race and donate those two things to a Children's Hospital. There is most certainly a little girl who would love to have it and really appreciate your effort.

I'm not saying this makes Disney's decision right or anything. Just a thought. I know there is a much bigger picture here. But for those guys who really just want to do the race and don't care for the medal, it's just a thought.

I cannot speak for other guys (obviously), but the shirt is really no more than icing on the cake. I have dozens of race shirts that I never wear, because at some point, it's just too many. And a Tink medal is fine.

My objection is Disney being more than willing to take my money, and then vascilate between pretending that my gender either doesn't exist, or is an annoyance that must (unfortunately) be somewhat tolerated.

I cannot speak for other guys (obviously), but the shirt is really no more than icing on the cake. I have dozens of race shirts that I never wear, because at some point, it's just too many. And a Tink medal is fine.

My objection is Disney being more than willing to take my money, and then vascilate between pretending that my gender either doesn't exist, or is an annoyance that must (unfortunately) be somewhat tolerated.

As I said in my post, I know there is a much bigger picture here. I'm aiming more at guys (DL locals especially) who want to do this but are not really into the medal. Even ladies who aren't big on Tink or any other Disney medal they've received. Just a reminder you can donate them to children at your local hospital and really make a difference in their lives.

That last part is annoying but for me the deal is the bigger picture. It is the double standard. It is knowing darn well that if the race was the exact same but instead of telling men they couldn't be officially recognized they told women the same thing there would be outcry. Knowing the history of the sport and knowing the outcry when it did happen makes me have no doubt.

If they decided to only allow part of the population count based on any other demographic (only white runners counted, only Christian runners counted, only republican runners counted, only straight runners counted) everyone would be up in arms (rightfully) but because the class of people who are excluded are just men no one cares. That is what infuriates me most.

Running isn't other sports. The separation that happens in other sports based on gender doesn't, well shouldn't, happen here. In other sports like baseball, football, or hockey you would also never see a 70 year old man compete with the 20 year old guys that do play but running is different. Here my grandpa or grandma could line up right beside me.

Does anyone think that if Disney only allowed people under a certain age, say 50, to count in the standings there wouldn't be an outcry because it was ageist? Even when they said "but in other sports the old folks can't compete with the young folks" would that argument be accepted or would the response be "but this isn't other sports and this sport isn't like that"?

I know what I think the answer would be.

JMO. All I can do is not support what I see as a sexist organization so no more RunDisney events for me.

You can speak for me. I agree.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter