Best WDW resort to stay at precruise and after cruise

Thank you for that! Looking at the pictures the beds look uncomfortable. I definitely want to stay at Riverside for my daughter and the mermaid room at Art of animation resort

I will warn you... we have stayed at Riverside 4 times. They have THE worst beds we have ever slept on on property. If you like the location, I would consider renting points at Saratoga for a night. You can usually get a room for about $170 and it's a deluxe.

There are no FL resident discounts on the Little Mermaid rooms. The price you see now is the price you will pay. It's possible that with a FL resident discount that Moderate resorts will come in cheaper that the LM room.

Funny you say that. I have a recommendation about where not to stay PRE cruise that mattered to us. And could matter again. However, with knowledge, and probably more luck than we, you'd be able to avoid it.

Our precruise stay 2016 Easter was at the Wilderness Lodge. Great place. I'd certainly go back. But not precruise. We had a 2 night stay.

Our arrival was later than expected. Something like 1am. We had a forest view that happened to overlook the boat launch - but we didn't know this until 6am when the boats start sounding their mandatory horns 3 times before and after docking quite a few times per hour. So, we started our day MUCH earlier than expected. In a nice hotel like that, we expected to lounge and not get up until maybe noon to get a good start on our expensive Disney Fantasy Easter cruise. But, no matter we said, that's ok, we'll just go to bed early tonight. We hit the hay around 10 or so knowing that the boats would be starting up again around 6am. But, no, sleep was not to be had. Around midnight, some sort of firework event happens outside our room from the boats (we think it was the boats). It was unreal how loud it was.

If we'd been there for a regular DisneyWorld vacation, we would have been up at the crack of dawn anyways and probably loved staying up for fireworks. That's how we roll at DW. But on cruise, I really don't want to start tired.

The fireworks would probably have been the Magic Kingdom fireworks. They can be surprisingly loud.

One stay of ours at WL, there was the normal MK fireworks, and then at about 3 am, MK did some TESTING of fireworks. It was a really pretty show -- the sound woke us up and there was no going back to sleep for us until it was over.

But we stull stay at Wilderness Lodge every trip :-)

Also, a courtyard view room will face into the courtyard and not have nearly the same boat/fireworks noise.

SW

I will warn you... we have stayed at Riverside 4 times. They have THE worst beds we have ever slept on on property. If you like the location, I would consider renting points at Saratoga for a night. You can usually get a room for about $170 and it's a deluxe.
Thank you!!! Working on that ! Hopefully I can get a nice room at a low price

There are no FL resident discounts on the Little Mermaid rooms. The price you see now is the price you will pay. It's possible that with a FL resident discount that Moderate resorts will come in cheaper that the LM room.
Thank you and you are so right!

We stayed there using rented points -- it's a terrific resort and we really liked it.

I am having the hardest time deciding. Trying to stay under at least 250. I also receive a Florida discount for being a resident. So far I have looked into Riverside and Art of Animation. Any advice? It will just be my daughter and I. She's 6.

I always try to get a deal at the Yacht Club. The nautical theme just helps set the mood for the cruise, IMO.

Port Orleans River is just delightful. I also enjoyed All Stars Movies. No fan of AoA we did not like the distance to the Little Mermaid rooms and not a great fan of the foodcourt. Loved CSR. We are owners at DVC and just stay at others when we have used all our points. If you rent DVC points I think all DVC resorts have their charms.

I will say that, so far, the only place we have rented points for that I truly did not like was Boardwalk. We thought the layout of the resort and the doors and access was weird and hard to configure. The room, however, was terrific with a great view, we just didn't like the overall mapping. We've stayed at Beach Club (sister to Yacht Club) and loved it -- especially the back door access to Epcot and the boat access to Hollywood Studios.

Port Orleans River is just delightful. I also enjoyed All Stars Movies. No fan of AoA we did not like the distance to the Little Mermaid rooms and not a great fan of the foodcourt. Loved CSR. We are owners at DVC and just stay at others when we have used all our points. If you rent DVC points I think all DVC resorts have their charms.
Thank you all so much!!! I was thinking about the walking distance as well. I'm trying to find someone to rent points from.

I will say that, so far, the only place we have rented points for that I truly did not like was Boardwalk. We thought the layout of the resort and the doors and access was weird and hard to configure. The room, however, was terrific with a great view, we just didn't like the overall mapping. We've stayed at Beach Club (sister to Yacht Club) and loved it -- especially the back door access to Epcot and the boat access to Hollywood Studios.
Definitely will check out the Yacht club thanks!

Thank you!!! I have read about the beds more than once and not just on here but on other sites, definitely something that helps me decide

Saratoga Springs is great because you can walk to Disney Springs (or take a boat) to get yourself in the pre-Disney mood without having to be close to a park and feel bad that you aren't there. Great main pool and renting points (check out the DVC boards/Davids rentals) is a great option.

We stayed at the Yacht Club after our Disney Cruise. It was our first stay at a Deluxe. Stormalong Bay was an awesome pool. My oldest loved the lazy river and my youngest enjoyed the sand bottom pool. We really got to enjoy the facilities as we did not have park tickets. Hopefully with a room only discount it may fit in your budget.

Last edited:
YES -- rented from them twice and no problems at all.

We also enjoyed the beach club! OP can't go wrong with that walk into EPCOT! Plus nice staff, love the rooms you can hang out in and nice balconies. Stay away from beaches and cream.. It's too late for us.. Save yourselves..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter