• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best Tips For Saving/Planning For A Trip In A Few Years

momtosam

Oh, Schmootsie-poo!
We know we will be headed to Disney in the next few years. Right now DS is only one so we will wait a little. What are the best things that I can start doing now to get the best prices, accommodations, etc? Are there any discount clubs or things to join? I've seen a lot about people getting "codes." What can I do to do that? Any advice is appreciated! (We have been to Disney before, but not for many years.)

Getting a Disney Visa (from Chase) can be helpful. You can earn "Disney Dollars" for regular purchases, plus get various discounts/offers which are always changing.

Once we determined that we were going to be taking our son, and my sisters in law, who will be 4, 10 and 13 at the time, next July (2007) we started saving money. I looked at our budget and determined how much extra we could sock a way, and how often. We had 2 savings accounts already, so we just designated one of them to be the "Disney" account. It didn't have much in it at the time, but we determined that we could budget $85 every two weeks. Plus half of any overtime dh and I have goes to that account. So, since Jan. 1, 2005 (yep, been planning that long-but have made one small trip with just ds, dh and myself since then) we have saved a considerable amount, although the overtime has slowed, and it isn't growing quite as fast now. I just set up the checking account to automatically transfer that amount every payday, so we never even see it. We just eat out less, and come up with other activities to do that don't cost money. And we haven't missed that money yet!

We just got back from Disney, and one thing I did that helped save money is to sell things on e-bay. The money adds up fast!

THE BEST WAY TO SAVE MONEY FOR YOUR NEXT DISNEY TRIP!

If you follow this tip I promise you will have saved enough money to pay for your disney trip within a year.

Find a container, a water jug works well for us. It is very hard to get the money out once you put it in.

Never, never spend your one dollar bills or loose change. Whenever you make a purchase, no matter what it is, a cup of coffee, a coke, gum, candy etc. never pay with your dollar bills or loose change. Always use your larger bills. If you don't have larger bills, don't make the purchase. At the end of the day, put all of your dollars and loose change in the jug. The money really starts to add up. On our last trip to Disney, in a years time we had saved over a thousand dollars in our trip account. This was enough with our points from our Visa Disney Card to pay for our hotel room.

It becomes addictive, you really like seeing the dollars add up in the jug, and the fun starts when a week before you leave for your trip, you break open the jug and count the money. Its like Christmas.

Give it a try, I promise you won't be disappointed. :yay:

The change thing works, I typically pool about $100 a month. The othe thing I did was have an additional amount withheld from each paycheck. The minute the tax refund check comes, it goes into the ATM less bank account to cover that year's vacation. Thus this November's trip (which we still have yet to book) could've been paid for a month ago. :banana:

I'll add my vote for the loose change idea. My kids have gotten addicted, too. When my daughter comes home from school with change from lunch, she actually says, "Hey mom, Disney money!" I saved all loose change, dollar bills my husband takes out of his pocket and leaves on the computer desk and any money from those times you go, "Oh wow, I left a $5 bill in my coat pocket last time I wore it!" After almost two years, I have about $800. No effort, no stress, it'll pay for most of our meals and souvenirs!

We also are a family of the spare change/one dollar bill jar. Even though we don't often carry cash (love those debit cards), we still save about $100 a month in this jar (always my luck that when I have a $10 bill, the total of whatever I buy will come to $5.01 - so $4.99 goes straight to the jar). I also round up at the grocery store (or anywhere I can get cash back), and put that money in the jar as well.

Once a month, I take the money and put it in my online account at ING Direct (they have GREAT interest rates). I do keep about $100 in cash from this jar at home at all times, and this money is used for "fun" things, like golfing, going to the movies, or anything else that is "fun." Vacation extras also come from this "fun" money.

To save money for vacations, I have a quirky system of putting any "free" money into my vacation saving account (also at ING). I consider "free" money any money that is not money I receive from earnings (ie bank interest, rummage sale money, tax refund, someone paying me back for something I loaned them money for - after all, I already went several days without that money - rebates, etc). My family and friends all think I am crazy, but when I go on my big trips, they back off on the teasing...well, at least for a little bit.

Good luck!

I also gather all lose money and put it into a jar... I also ask family members and close friends to give money to the kids for their birthdays or Xmas etc... like we are going in Jan 07, so for Xmas the kids will get money from family members... they already have lots of toys, so that way the money will pay for something that they really want at Disney. I won't have to budget any money for souvenirs for them... :goodvibes

I get reimbursed for mileage through work and some other various expenses and each month, I just put my expense checks straight into savings. Gas and the expenses are already covered in my budget, so I never miss the expense checks. It adds up really fast!

My son and I are going to Disney in August and are already planning to go back in two years and bring my niece with us on that trip.

We use a variety of methods to pay for our WDW vacations:
  1. The coin jar. It works great but we only get about $400/year out of it because...
  2. We have a rewards credit card and use it to pay for anything that we can. While the change jar ferrets way money that won't be missed, the rewards card gives us money back on money that's been spent. The Disney VISA caps off at $750 in rewards each year (but at 1% back, you'd have to spend $75,000 to reach it). DH is also self-employed, so all overhead for the business is put on a business rewards card. Those points add up to free flying, hotel stays and restaurant GCs.
  3. We make regular deposits into a hard-to-reach savings account. I opened an ING account a few years ago. Their interest rates are much better than any B&M bank around us. The account is linked to my checking account at a B&M bank and I have regular withdrawls from checking deposited into the ING account. I also deposit any rebate checks and other "found money" into my checking and then go online to ING to have a one-time transfer made of those funds.
  4. I do online rewards programs like CreationsRewards, Mypoints, eBates and SunshineRewards. In the past, I've been able to get Disney Dollars, Rainforest Café giftcards, Marriott Gift Cheques and cold, hard cash. If you shop online thru their sites, you can get anywhere from 1%-6% back on your purchases. It won't pay for your trip all by itself, but it will help.
  5. Ask for Disney Dollars for birthdays, holidays and any other gift-giving occasion. You can't spend it anywhere else but at Disney locations, so it won't be used to pay for new tires or a night out.
  6. Join AAA. Right now, aside from moving to Florida or buying an Annual Pass, AAA is the only way to get a room-only discount at WDW. Discounts range from 10%-20% off of the rack rate of your resort, depending on the resort type and the season that you're staying. AAA also discounts most WDW packages. Plus, AAA offers all kinds of great travel incentives and tips. The membership is definitely worth the money spent.
  7. Buy your tickets ahead of time. I go thru the online discount brokers and buy the passes when I have enough money saved to pay for them. Buying in advance will not only get you a discount on their price, you will also be ahead of any price increase that can happen between now and when you go. If you do this, a few words of caution: Disney has moved away from offering room-only discounts to the general public. Most of their discounts involve purchasing packages. If you already have tickets, then you won't need a package. Thus, no discount for you unless you have AAA or live in Florida.
  8. Consider renting DVC points. You can stay in deluxe accomodations for the price of a moderate resort. An added bonus: DVC members and their guests (renters) can purchase the Disney Dining Plan (DDP) without purchasing a package. The DDP is a real bargain and well worth doing if you like to eat character meals or at tableservice restaurants. For $38/night (adult) and $11/night (child), you get 1 TS, 1 CS (counterservice) and 1 snack credit per person per night of your stay. Plenty of food to keep you going!

Okay, that list is long enough. If I think of more ways, I'll try to post again. Oh, and visit the Budget Board for more ideas on how to save for Disney, at Disney and cutting back on spending at home in order to make that WDW trip possible.

Currently Port Orleans Riverside is the most cost effective stay for a family of 5--deluxe ones are quite a bit more.
How does this work, renting DVC points?
Thanks,
Kris
(Oct 2007 trip??!!)

You can check the DISboard DVC Rent/Trade FAQs here:http://www.wdwinfo.com/dvc/RentTrade-FAQ.htm
Pretty much everything you need to know is contained there. Points rent for about $10-$11 apiece with a week at an Old Ket West Studio running 109 points for July of this year. That means a week would run you between $1090 - $1199 with no tax to pay.

That same week at CBR would cost you $1210 for a std. view with tax included (rack rate). While it may not be a tremendous savings, there are a couple of advantages.
  1. You're getting deluxe accomodations, not moderate.
  2. You can purchase the DDP without buying a package.

There are a few disadvantages:
  1. You're dealing with the DVC owner and not Disney. This takes a good deal of trust.
  2. Payment must be in a form that is acceptable to the owner (not everyone takes credit cards).
  3. Payment timetable is set by the owner. This can be very different from Disney's which is $200 down and the balance due 45 days prior to arrival (for packages) or 1-night's stay depost and the balance due on checkin (for room-only ressies).
  4. There are almost always no refunds. If you cancel at the last minute, you're outta luck since the owner probably will not be able to book anyone else into that ressie.

KKB said:
Currently Port Orleans Riverside is the most cost effective stay for a family of 5--deluxe ones are quite a bit more.
How does this work, renting DVC points?
Thanks,
Kris
(Oct 2007 trip??!!)
This will be our first trip to WDW in December and after doing alot of reading on these boards, I contacted a DVC member with points for rent. He was strick on price of points ($10) and when deposits need to be made. He outlined all specifics and even gave me DVC # to check him out. In addition he gave me his name, address, home and cell phone number along with his DVC member #. With all that I sent him the first $200 deposit and upon receiving it he emailed me a copy of my confirmation reservation. I called DVC and sure enough all was secure...I finished paying for our studio at Old Key West in April. :cool1: Now a studio there runs $269/night....we are staying 5 nights...that would have ran us $1365 but with renting points we have a total of $400 for the week! :wizard: :cheer2: :woohoo: No taxes either, :thumbsup2 we couldn't have gotten a NICE off site hotel for less than $80/night and IF we did...add taxes and room charges and it would have run well over $400 plus we even get the onsite perks of Extra Magic Hours etc.... The BIG thing is TRUST. But the DVC owner has to put as much trust in you as you do them. Good Luck. Hope this helps.
:hourglass

It just might be the ticket...I'll begin looking after the first of the year.
Some advice needed...aren't the DVC's further from the parks? Is it better to have deluxe accomodations...(we have to do POR for family of 5 mod). How does location/transportation to parks compare between POR and DVC resorts?
Thanks
Kris

I got this tip here at the DisBoards. If you buy an annual pass, you can save a LOT of money on the hotel (on property hotels). Yes, you'll pay more for the annual pass vs. a regular ticket, but you'll save more than enough off the hotel to make it worthwhile. This "discount" beat the AAA discount and a few other "tricks" I had tried. I had even made my reservation and was able to call back, buy the annual pass and get a better deal on the hotel.

Worth looking into!

FYI - I *love* the loose change idea and will start doing this right away. I can easily see my two young sons really getting involved and making it a fun family project. :)

loopner67 said:
I got this tip here at the DisBoards. If you buy an annual pass, you can save a LOT of money on the hotel (on property hotels). Yes, you'll pay more for the annual pass vs. a regular ticket, but you'll save more than enough off the hotel to make it worthwhile. This "discount" beat the AAA discount and a few other "tricks" I had tried. I had even made my reservation and was able to call back, buy the annual pass and get a better deal on the hotel.
The only problem with this is that AP discounts are not a guaranteed benefit. There are a lot of upset AP holders who got no discount for the first 3 weeks of June this year. And for June-July, the only discounted rooms were at deluxe resorts. But AAA members still got their 10%-15% discount for all resorts as long as there were AAA rooms available.

If you decide use an AP discount for your stay, you need to crunch the numbers to make sure that it will not cost you more in the longrun. For a 4-night/5-day stay, a 5-day hopper would cost you $249/adult. The AP would cost you $442 - a difference of $193. The AP discount would have to be at least $48/night for you to come close to breaking even. If you stay longer, the discount does not have to be as steep.

KKB said:
It just might be the ticket...I'll begin looking after the first of the year.
Some advice needed...aren't the DVC's further from the parks? Is it better to have deluxe accomodations...(we have to do POR for family of 5 mod). How does location/transportation to parks compare between POR and DVC resorts?
Thanks
Kris
Not all DVCs are far from the parks. The Boardwalk Villas and the Beach Club Villas are right at the International Gateway to EPCOT and just a short boatride away from MGM. Wilderness Lodge Villas are very close to the MK. Old Key West and Saratoga Springs are a little further away from the parks.

POR shares bus service with POFQ while some deluxes also share bus service. The YC&BC share with BW and the Swan/Dolphin. I would say that the bus service for each is comparable but most of the deluxes also give you the option to take a boat or walk.

As to whether it's better to go deluxe or stay at a moderate, that's up to the individual. But if I could get a deluxe room for the cost of a moderate, I'd jump on it. The rooms are bigger. The studios have a kitchenette with a small refrigerator, a coffeemaker and a microwave. The 1- and 2-bedroom units have full kitchens and a washer/dryer as well. And you get a balcony as well. Moderate rooms do not have balconies, their doors open up to a common exterior walkway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter