Best Backpack for College Student?

DisneyFan32WI

Grumpy Cat
Any recommendations on the best brand/type of backpack for a college student who will be carrying her Macbook Air in?

Thanks!

I had a jansport that carried my macbook pro just fine plus my books all through college and is still standing almost 10 years later.

My DD carried a Jansport for years; however, after awhile she told me that it was really bothering her shoulders and that some of her friends had other brands that were much more comfortable. We found a North Face backpack designed for a woman's frame and she said the straps were SOOOO much better. She tried it out at REI where it was about $79, but I found the same one online from another retailer for about $55 with free shipping.

She just thought it was way more comfortable on her shoulders. She did a LOT of walking in college on a mountainous campus so the comfort was very important. It was also made to carry a laptop.

We used to replace my son's backpack every six months till my sister bought him one from LL Bean. She bought it for him in middle school and he STILL has it and he's a rising junior in college.

I just told him to show it to me and he proudly did, he still loves his backpack! It has so many compartments and he's sort of anal so it really works for him. This one is called a travel pack but he's used it daily for years.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/81515?nav=p5-816&feat=816-p5

Does anyone still use textbooks? I'm asking because it's been years for me.

I had a Jansport way back when, and I don't think the design has changed in a while for that particular pack. However, back then they did carry a prominent "MADE IN USA" right under the brand name. I think I had to replace that once because the strap tore off. However, that had to handle science/engineering textbooks and (my biggest book) a copy of The Riverside Chaucer.

Right now there are literally hundreds of different brands. I suppose "technical" daypacks might be recommended, but many are really designed for going out on a hike and not carrying books or electronics. Still - several of the outdoor equipment companies have "lifestyle" models for more urban/student use. My wife had a pack from The North Face called "Modem". It's designed to hold a laptop, has a port for a headphone cable, and is more rectangular shaped so that it can hold a few books.

I'm trying to figure out what backpack to buy as well. I've had the same one since middle school, but it's starting to show some wear and tear, so I'd like a new one for college. It's an LL Bean bag, so I'm hoping to take advantage of the warranty.

The new options I'm looking at are:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/62115?feat=514259-GN3&page=quad-backpack

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/75459?feat=514259-GN3&page=north-ridge-backpack

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/83871?feat=514259-GN3&page=traverse-backpack

Does anyone have any opinions on these?

I got my DD a Vera Bradley laptop backpack several years ago and it still looks new and she is planning on taking it to college with her.

Does anyone still use textbooks? I'm asking because it's been years for me.

My DD just graduated from college this past May and, yes, she was still carrying textbooks. She had one class that had the e-book option this past year. I know more and more e-books are available so heavy textbooks will be less of a problem, but, yep, they are still around.

My DD just graduated from college this past May and, yes, she was still carrying textbooks. She had one class that had the e-book option this past year. I know more and more e-books are available so heavy textbooks will be less of a problem, but, yep, they are still around.

I was thinking that there might be a technological solution by now.

I know a lot of people are cynical that physical textbooks are used because they make money for professors who write them, and that they either specify them or their colleagues. However, I've talked to professors who wrote textbooks, and they'll say they barely make any money off of them.

My science and engineering texts were actually pretty reasonably sized. And when I got my English lit minor, most classes only required fairly lightweight stuff like paperback novels or small collections of poems. But then I took a Chaucer class and they specified this humungous compilation of Chaucer works with extensive notes. That thing weighed about 8 pounds. I often rode a bike to school with a hilly path. Nothing like lugging 15 pounds of books on a bike.

I'm trying to figure out what backpack to buy as well. I've had the same one since middle school, but it's starting to show some wear and tear, so I'd like a new one for college. It's an LL Bean bag, so I'm hoping to take advantage of the warranty.

The new options I'm looking at are:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/62115?feat=514259-GN3&page=quad-backpack

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/75459?feat=514259-GN3&page=north-ridge-backpack

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/83871?feat=514259-GN3&page=traverse-backpack

Does anyone have any opinions on these?

I had he quad pack and loved it! I used it for everything(for school, when i went home for the weekend id just pack in it,etc) .I'd still be using it but it got lost in a move.
I love ll bean products, and have many, i would always suggest them for anything!

I started with a shoulder bag in college but it was so heavy and I didn't like not having both arms free. So I opted for a Vera Bradley backpack... at least the pattern was cute! ;)

From a functional standpoint, I would go Jansport or LL Bean - they make the best backpacks. I would be extra careful about buying a good one since her Mac will be in there!

Anyone got a recommendation for a tough backpack that holds a LOT? DD16 is starting AP classes this year, and is going to have tons of homework; plus, her AP English binder is a 3 inch, so she needs a good one that will at least hold all of her binders, or all of her books.

We got DD a High Sierra backpack for college. It's held up very well. The one thing she didn't like about it at first was the rain cover than comes out of the bottom. The first month she was at school the have a week of constant rain. She used that rain cover every day and it kept her books and computer dry.

DD had a jeans port from 6th grade through high school. She only bought a new jeans port, because the old backpack was starting to look dingy. Her new backpack is also a jansport.

We bought a "sleeve" for her laptop, and she hasn't had any issues. dD doesn't like e-books, so she carries a lot of textbooks.

I used a Jansport when I was in college 25ish years ago. My DD now uses the very same Jansport. Needless to say, it held up...and is still holding up...well. :) I found it to be a very comfortable bag to carry, as does DD.

When my daughter started college, I bought her a new LL Bean backpack. She liked it just fine... until it rained. The backpack she had was not water resistant at all. So now she has a Patagonia backpack that is water resistant and she likes it much better and it holds her 13 inch Macbook pro just fine.

Anyone got a recommendation for a tough backpack that holds a LOT? DD16 is starting AP classes this year, and is going to have tons of homework; plus, her AP English binder is a 3 inch, so she needs a good one that will at least hold all of her binders, or all of her books.

DD loves her Jon Hart. It was expensive but it's roomy and sturdy. She liked carrying a VB but it
Jus didn't hold up to daily use and a heavy load. I wonder if she'll continue with the Jon Hart in college. It seems big to me when you don't have all classes everyday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!