Being turned away at the port

Southern Pirate

Mouseketeer
Shore Side Concierge called me about our up coming cruise. I was informed that my fishing trip was canceled at the request of the vendor. They wanted to know if I wanted to schedule something else. While I had them on the phone, I asked them to check and make sure I had everything needed so as not to be turned away at the port. A quick check and all was good. I was told the reason most people were turned away was due to not having the PCR test before arriving at the port. So please before you leave home, call and check to ensure you have completed all the steps. Here in South Carolina, the rapid PCR tests are still free and I have seen several places where you wait for your results. Let's have this first cruise be our learning cruise and move forward from there.

In our dream FB group, several people posted that families showed up without doing the required testing for their kids. Adults all tested, all clear in safe passages, but had failed to do any testing for their kids. Whole families put back on the DCL bus to Orlando.

Test your kids!

Shore Side Concierge called me about our up coming cruise. I was informed that my fishing trip was canceled at the request of the vendor. They wanted to know if I wanted to schedule something else. While I had them on the phone, I asked them to check and make sure I had everything needed so as not to be turned away at the port. A quick check and all was good. I was told the reason most people were turned away was due to not having the PCR test before arriving at the port. So please before you leave home, call and check to ensure you have completed all the steps. Here in South Carolina, the rapid PCR tests are still free and I have seen several places where you wait for your results. Let's have this first cruise be our learning cruise and move forward from there.
PCR test OR vaccinated with proof and cleared on Safe Passages, right? Just
I want to just ask a question here without taking us to the dark side on this thread. I’ve seen this same notion in a few places- get that PCR test BEFORE. And that is excellent advice. Just want to confirm nothing has changed that uploading proof of vaccination, getting the Safe Passages “clear to arrive/embark/disembark,” and bringing you vaccination card with you remains a viable alternative to not be turned away at port. Like everyone I’m just trying to avoid some crushing disappointment here. Please don’t turn this into a debate; I’m just asking for confirmation. Appreciate it.

PCR test OR vaccinated with proof and cleared on Safe Passages, right? Just

I want to just ask a question here without taking us to the dark side on this thread. I’ve seen this same notion in a few places- get that PCR test BEFORE. And that is excellent advice. Just want to confirm nothing has changed that uploading proof of vaccination, getting the Safe Passages “clear to arrive/embark/disembark,” and bringing you vaccination card with you remains a viable alternative to not be turned away at port. Like everyone I’m just trying to avoid some crushing disappointment here. Please don’t turn this into a debate; I’m just asking for confirmation. Appreciate it.
I asked that same question and Shore Side told me that since I uploaded proof of vaccine, I did not have to take a pre port PCR or a port PCR test.

112 passengers were turned away for failure for pre-cruise. So the numbers were not nearly so bad as the people yowling about unfairness would have you think.
And from the updates available on another site, it sounds like those who were turned away due to not having the correct pre-embarkation day tests were both fully refunded for this cruise and given a complimentary cruise to use in the future.

And from the updates available on another site, it sounds like those who were turned away due to not having the correct pre-embarkation day tests were both fully refunded for this cruise and given a complimentary cruise to use in the future.
Wow, that is VERY surprising. I can believe the refund, but to also give a free future cruise when DCL was not at fault is a major PR move.

I originally had thought that Disney was going to do this as well and require 5-day testing for everyone before the cruise. With what happened on Monday, I think Disney will rethink that. There was enough confusion as it is, trying to change the rules and get everyone to test will just result in so many more families being turned away, especially if they thought they already had it all figured out.

You know it seems like people will only do what is required. I have been to Hawaii three times since the pandemic and I always went above what was required. For instance I would do two COVID tests for back up in cases my original test did not come in. I am fortunate my insurance covers my CCOVID tests for myself and my kid but I would pay a little and get another COVID test from an approved vendor just to be on the safe side. First cruise... in a pandemic... you better have back up for your back up. This may be because what I do for a living (Satellite Communications) and were I work we leave very little to chance.

That's my two cents.

Wow, that is VERY surprising. I can believe the refund, but to also give a free future cruise when DCL was not at fault is a major PR move.

Right?! Major PR. I can absolutely understand Disney refunding those who were turned away, and helping them get home and/or accommodations for the night… but giving them a free cruise on top of that seems *way* beyond even the Disney level of “making it right”.

I wasn’t booked on this one, but from outside of the situation, and adding the disclaimer that this is purely my opinion, this extra piece grabs me as a little bit of a slap in the face to the people who did what they were supposed to do.

Others will disagree, and that’s fine. Clearly, Disney is among those who think that giving a free cruise was appropriate, and it’s their line, so… their call. :)

I wonder what test will be required in January. The CDC said the PCR test's Emergency Use Authorization will expire December 31 and will not be renewed.

I think it speaks to DCL accepting that they 1) waited so long to post details of this first cruise, 2) kept changing the website with little updates/tweaks but didn't make it clear what changed and 3) didn't provide a clear checklist for people to follow. The fact that they uploaded such a checklist on Monday night shows they clearly understood their role in the confusion. 112 passengers is really a drop in the bucket for DCL's revenue; and I'm sure that "free" cruise is only equivalent to the current, probably 5 nights or less and within a specific time period.

I am hoping that the SafePassage site gets updated. It is tough to say DCL was not at fault at all when that page was saying good to go even though the kids on the reservation did not have uploaded results to the portal yet. I know we all hang on every word DCL says right now, but I am not surprised this happened. If I was using the SafePassage app and saw all of my passengers in there and it said "GREEN" or "Good to Go", I could see missing the step that says my unvaccinated kids need their tests uploaded still. I think the check list will help a lot, but that site needs to be fixed. Also, there is a pretty weak excuse that no one at least sent an email a day before the cruise reminding passengers who had not uploaded test results yet for passengers without proof of vaccination.

I am hoping that the SafePassage site gets updated. It is tough to say DCL was not at fault at all when that page was saying good to go even though the kids on the reservation did not have uploaded results to the portal yet. I know we all hang on every word DCL says right now, but I am not surprised this happened. If I was using the SafePassage app and saw all of my passengers in there and it said "GREEN" or "Good to Go", I could see missing the step that says my unvaccinated kids need their tests uploaded still. I think the check list will help a lot, but that site needs to be fixed. Also, there is a pretty weak excuse that no one at least sent an email a day before the cruise reminding passengers who had not uploaded test results yet for passengers without proof of vaccination.
This is what still has me worried. I don't even see my son in Safe Passage even though I added him. Our pre-sail screen still says "Pending", when I click it and scroll down I see myself, my wife, and vaccinated daughter at the bottom where it says "Clear". My son (too young for vaccine) isn't in that table. I assume that is why the step still says Pending.

Where do you see everyone is Green even if you don't have everyone's pre-cruise vax card or test uploaded on the site yet?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter