Before You Think To Do The DCP

Yes, the CP program is messy . I liked it to camp. You are the lowest cm , but other cm's expect you just to be there and party.

Really the only benefit is it looks good on a resume.

To the original poster, I hate that you had such a bad experience but I do want to say to others reading that there seems to be a lot of DCP’s that don’t like the experience (the roles they get, the apartment they get) but there are a lot that love everything about it. Please don’t let these things discourage you from doing the program. Just read both sides and make your own judgements. My daughter started in June. Wasn’t sure how she would do, never did her own laundry, cooked, not good at budgeting her money. She is a hard worker but not super outgoing but has a heart of gold.
She has been having the time of her life. She didn’t get the apartment she wanted (ended up in a 2x2), didn’t get the role or location she wanted, but she is doing great. She gets along fine with roommates (great with one of them , ok with others). Their apartment had a few issues but were fixed in a few weeks.(ice maker missing then when installed didn’t work, one bedroom door was coming off hinges). She now loves where she works, onLu gets minimum 30 hours so has picked up shifts at other parks and jobs. (her roommates work way more)
Again, this is just to give you both side. Not to discredit the original post! I have heard similar stories of kids not liking it. My daughter has seen kids get walked out by security.
it’s all very individual experiences

My nephew did the program and loved it, but said it's basically slave labor for Disney. You do the worst shifts that other CMs don't want. And if you are using their transportation sometimes you are sleep deprived doing a late shift and then an early one the next day, especially with commuting times. A car helps with that if you have one. He also said you really don't have that much time to do extra stuff they offer. You are around tons of young people, meet people from all over, etc. After doing the program my nephew actually decided to move to Orlando. It helped him make the decision to make that move and have some contacts in the area before doing that.

He roomed with a bunch of young people from other countries who worked at different countries in Epcot and that was kind of fun.

Sounds like real life.

I don’t say that to be sarcastic, because I mean it’s true. Both of my nieces are currently involved in the program. They aren’t doing what they wanted to, but it’s been a great lesson on finding joy for them because joy doesn’t always introduce itself to you. They are both enjoying it, have no regrets, and I would say both will come out of it as better people. And they were both perfect to begin with. :)

That’s in addition to the lesson about jobs, friendship, and the resume building aspect.

It certainly isn’t for everybody but it can be a great experience.

My DD is currently in the DCP and extended. She is really enjoying it but it is a lot of very hard work. There will be good days and bad. I will say she has grown up a lot by being there. I saw a noticeable change in her when we have visited.

Yes everyone’s experience will be different. I attribute my positive experience to the group of CPs I worked with. We all got along and enjoyed each other’s company, it made the work fun (and I really didn’t love my particular job that much). My roommate in merch was deployed to a different land for a few weeks and didn’t work with any CPs or people she was able to bond with, it made the job really boring and tedious for her. It’s just the luck of the draw.

You never know where it will take you. I did it several years ago and had a mostly good experience. Yes it can be challenging at times but I met some amazing people. I have now worked at both WDW and DCL for a number of years and love my job!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter