Been there,Done that,GOING BACK! Day 1-The Journey

darthtatty

Been There, Done That, Going Back!
Cast

Me (Nicky)-34 -The sensible one :rotfl2: Magic Kingdom fan, love the water rides, doesnt like the simulation rides.
Matt-37 Major Star Wars fan-loves DHS, loves simulation rides.
Luke-9 huge Star wars fan-Loves DHS and water rides

i got the title idea from the fridge magnet we brought on our last visit to WDW. its helped me get through the past 5 years and will get me through the next.... however many years, as we will GO BACK!
Pre-Trip Report
Day 2-Magic Kingdom
Day 3-Downtown,Fultons,CDS
Day 4-DHS
Day 5-Universal Studios
Day 6-Kennedy
Day 7-Wedding Anniversary
day 8- IOA
Day 9- DHS Star Wars Weekend
Day 10-Epcot
Day 11-Animal Kingdom
Day 12-Typhoon Lagoon & Coral Reef
Day 13-SeaWorld
Day 14-Magic kingdom
Day 15-Time To Say Goodbye

Day 0- Wednesday 13th may 2009
well today didnt really count, Matt was at work and Luke was at school.
i was doing the usual house stuff eg washing, cleaning, making sure all the cases and bags were packed.
the day went so slow.....couldnt wait until school finished at 3.15 and Matt got home from work about 4.15pm.
it didnt take us long to load my car and start the journey to Manchester.
think we finally left about 5pm and didnt travel for too long before we stopped for dinner at a Little Chef.
Me-crispy chicken (though they messed up my order, great start to hol)
Matt-mixed grill
Luke-spag bol (thats all he ever eats!)
the rest of the journey went ok and luckily we didnt run into any Traffic problems.
We were staying at Crowne Plaza for the night. Matt checked in while i parked the car-miles away from the reception :rotfl:
The room was nice and cosy, we were in a disabled room but theyd put in a guest bed for luke so it took up a lot of space.
the bathroom was amazing it was nearly as big as the bedroom! :goodvibes
007.jpg

005.jpg

Day1- Thursday 14th May 2009
i was amazed we all slept quite well and woke around 5am. we had a cab booked for 6am (the hotel do a free shuttle but they decided to book us a cab so luke could travel in his wheelchair-it was free so we didnt mind)
just as we were leaving the room 5.50am,reception rang to say the cab was here. Matt checked out while i went outside with the cases, it must of been amusing watching us with our cases- we had 4 suitcase,plus 3 rucksacks then a wheelchair to push. anyway i got outside and the cab drove off! :confused: the hotels shuttle mini bus driver was moaning about a couple who'd put their cases in and then went off-i guessed theyd nicked our cab and left their cases :confused: he tried to put our cases in but i said we were going by cab and my husband wasnt here yet.
anyway finally by the time matt had checked out the cab returned with the people- theyd thought you put cases in one and go in the cab. :rotfl:
the cab driver said he hadnt expected anyone to be up at this time in the morning so when they got in he didnt say anything. :rotfl2:
I was quite surprised by the cab as it was very small- like an old style London cab. the wheelchair went in ok and there was just enough room for matt and i. i wondered where the cases were going to go? The cab driver opened up the boot and it was tiny, it had a little flap that you could rest a case on. i watched as he loaded all 4 cases on :scared1: now these were large cases, i thought itd be ok as he'd strap them up. did he? NO! :eek:
The drive to the Airport was amusing, i was waiting for them to drop off but amazingly they didnt.
I know on the tickets they say check in opens 3 hours prior to departure but i thought theyd be open and they were.
Check in went really smoothly- we were travelling PE outbound. :cool1:

we pretty much went through security straight away, luke got searched as he couldnt go through the metal detector. we then looked around the shops before having breakfast at BK.
matt and i had a breakfast burger meal while luke had Cheeseburger (well we are on holiday)
we finished looking round the shops before going to the Gates where we saw our Plane- i think she was called Ordinary lady? will need to see if Matt remembers - he doesn't (useless isn't he ?).
4698_101986363816_3385781_n.jpg

4698_100501893816_7602892_n.jpg

The seats were really cool, we were seated in the middle. we chose those seats so we were all together. that way we could both get to Luke if needed.
i liked the pre take off drinks ;)
take off was smooth and about 15 mins into a flight a Stewardess came up to me - she was carrying a tray with 2 glasses of champagne, a box of chocs and a bottle of champagne. She asked if i was Nicola, when i said i was she read out a card and wished me a Happy Anniversary.
Matt had arranged it for me as a surprise :lovestruc
4698_101986368816_564672_n.jpg

pretty soon after the meals came round, the kids meals were ok but luke didnt like it-chicken sticks,beans and wedges arent for him. the adult meals were good but as spicy he couldnt really have any. i gave him bits of mine he could have and thankfully id brought some food before we boarded so he had that.
i was a bit tipsy-well i had the pre flight bucks fizz, then both glasses of champagne, then both our glasses of wine with our meal. :)
the flight seemed to go slow today-though i passed the time by half watching the films. i pretty much saw most of bride wars,Role models and Mall Cop.
Finally it was time to land, although we had to wait till everyone was off before they got the wheelchair. it didnt make much difference as although we were the last off the plane we were one of the first through customs.
we opted to get the cases sent to the other terminal and took the shuttle there. it annoyed me a bit as we had to get a lift at one point to get to another level to reach the shuttle and they directed matt to the escalator. the lifts were massive and there wasnt anyone else except the guard who took us- why do they have to split us up? they dont do that to other families. i then had to search for Matt when we got to the right level.
we got our cases pretty quickly and then headed to the coach to take us to the hotel. luke had to use the lift at the back of the coach then be strapped in, in his wheelchair. it took a while but eventually we were on our way to the hotel.

To Be Continued.................

Last edited:
4698_101986378816_737756_n.jpg

As we pulled up to the Hotel around 4pm USA time-after dropping off loads along the way it started pouring with rain. A sign of things to come?

check in was quick and the lovely Contemporary Staff were polite and friendly. Coming back here just felt like home to me, in the months before our holiday id been visualising the layout and when she directed us to our room i could imagine the walk in my head. :)
we were given Anniversary badges as it was our 5th wedding anniversary while we were on this trip.
we headed to our room 5112
4698_100501898816_780839_n.jpg

this was to be our 'home' for the next fortnight.
After unpacking a lot, we then went to explore the hotel.
we head an ADR at Kona Cafe-but it wasnt till 7.45pm. in hindsight-this was too late, we were all very tired but think we booked late so we didnt miss this if we got delayed. After taking the monorail to the Poly, we tried to get in a bit earlier but we'rent seated until our ADR time-it gave us a chance to explore the Polynesian.
040.jpg

Kona Cafe
Nicky-slow roasted prime rib
Matt-Coconut almond chicken
Luke-Burger.

i didnt take any pics as it took forever to get the food, by the time we did i was just too tired to do anything. The waiter seemed slow tonight.
I loved the bread they brought out with the macadamia nut butter. it was gorgeous. we went through 2 portions of this while waiting for our food.
i didnt enjoy my food, it was just about warm and the rib was very fatty. the mashed potato was bland but the brocollini was nice.
Matts food was the total opposite of mine, very hot and tasted delicious. it was a sautéed chicken breast with Asian greens, tossed in a honey lime dressing served with pineapple,strawberries and toasted almonds. Lukes was also great too.
Matt and i had ordered a cake for luke as a surprise (he knew we were getting one for our anniversary and was jealous) we were a bit disappointed when the waiter just put the cake on the table and said here's your cake. he didnt really make any effort at all.
so we had to do the honours of making the cake into a special experience for Luke.
Think the cake cost about $50, we went for the 10" as you could get a pic you wanted and get it personalised.
4698_100501903816_5155989_n.jpg

The cake was delish and after sharing a bit, we got the rest boxed (would end up storing it in our room fridge and had a few pieces over the next few days before chucking the rest away) We then caught the monorail back to the Contemporary finally going to bad at 10.30pm :goodvibes

Last edited:

Great start Nicky. What a lovely surprise from your hubby on the flight, and Luke's cake looks delish ::yes::

I look forward to reading some more :thumbsup2

thanks everyone, will try to add more later. will update my facebook status when i do. :goodvibes

think i went bright red on the flight when she brought the champagne out.
thought Kona was a shame as i loved it last time i went.

excellent start Nicky and fab piccies :thumbsup2

Can we swap husbands? My 19th anniversary today and no champagne for me...only a card!:sad2:

Loved Luke having a cake. Shame the waiter didn't make a fuss.

love your report:thumbsup2. hwhat a nice surprise on the plane and the cake looks sooooo yummy

Mmmmmm great cake!! Your airport hotel bathroom was HUGE!!!!

Love the Contemporary room photos - I really want to stay there!

Mmmmmm great cake!! Your airport hotel bathroom was HUGE!!!!

Love the Contemporary room photos - I really want to stay there!

ur right it was huge, id say about 10ft x 15ft. it was very echoy in there.

the Contemporary is great we chose it as the monorail is easy- for us its worth the extra money. will try posting more pics of the hotel, in other days.

Great start, that was lovely of your husband to book the surprise for the flight. I love your sons cake it looks lovely. Would love to see more pics of the hotel as we are considering staying here next trip :)

Shame about the Kona Cafe - but the Contemporary looks lovely. Look forward to reading more. :thumbsup2

Hi Nicola,
think I'm going to really enjoy this report! what a sweetie your hubby is doing that for you on the plane and Lukes cake looks yummy:cloud9: A tad jealous about the Contemporary, looks gorgeous xx

A great start Nicky. I look forward to reading more. :goodvibes

:goodvibesLoving it so far Nicky :thumbsup2 That cake looks delish!!! :worship:

Cant wait to hear more and see more pics

Great start Nicky :thumbsup2,can't wait for more.
How sweet of Matt :love:,Luke's cake looks so yummy,hope it tasted as good as it looks+hope Luke enjoyed it :thumbsup2,shame about the waiter :sad2:.x.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter