Bed bugs at Bonnet Creek :(

Thank you for bringing attention to this issue. I feel like everyone who has a reservation booked there should contact them and whoever they booked through and inquire as to what is being done about the bedbug issue. ugh.

i for one think this is being blown way out of controll. not worried about it at all.

its florida, there are bugs.

the op described something out of a horror movie. Me thinks it is just quite a bit over exagerated.

I travel a lot. Many hotels in many countries. i check, and have never 1 time had a bed bug issue.

I have seen various other bugs, ants and the like. You call the front desk and deal with them. you cant ruin a trip that you havent even taken because of the fear of the unknown.

relax. wait till you get there. if you have an issue deal with it.

There is a huge difference between just bugs...and bedbugs. Putting your children to bed and having them attacked and breaking out with hundreds of bites by bedbugs in my opinion is a horror movie.
I understand what you are saying about trying not to let it ruin our vacation before it has happened but at the same time it is sort of hard for me.
perhaps some folks would not be upset by this but to me it is a big deal. I feel horrible for the OP and dont think it is blown out of control at all.
People should have a heads up.
We don't travel much in fact aside from a few weekend trips this is the first family vacation we will be taking. And it is pretty much a one time deal. we don't have a lot of money and if not for a very generous father in law we would not even be able to do this. I want our children to have wonderful memories ...not nightmares of being bitten by nasty bugs.

Well the good news is: bedbugs do not carry blood borne illnesses like mosquitoes and ticks commonly do. However, they can be responsible for delusional parasitosis.

Well the good news is: bedbugs do not carry blood borne illnesses like mosquitoes and ticks commonly do. However, they can be responsible for delusional parasitosis.

Ha funny! But seriously I think i am already suffering from that just thinking about it. No matter how you say it bedbugs are gross and i don't want them near my kids or me....and surely not my home!
:crazy2:

I am now completely freaking out. We booked through VS just a day or two before this thread started and I don't think we can cancel without losing our deposit. I was so excited to stay here and now I feel sick to my stomach. don't know what to do.

Pretty much every resort gets bed bugs. Take a look at all the Disney resorts listed. Just because a resort isn't listed on the registry doesn't mean they have never had them. Honestly I figured BC would of had more posts on the registry about them. Don't cancel just because of stuff you read on the internet. Last year before my first trip someone posted about bed bugs at BC in one of the buildings. We ended up staying in that exact building during our trip. BC was awesome!!!! You can get bed bugs at any hotel in the world.

Almost all hotels have had bedbugs at one point or another. The key is to make sure you diligently check before you bring your things into the room. Check all beds, etc.

I am truly sorry the OP experienced this. :( And sorry the management did not handle this well.

This is not the 1st report I have seen of Bonnet Creek having bed bugs over the years, but yet, I would still take a chance and book here in the future. Even all of my favorite Disney Hotels have had them at one point of another.

Almost all hotels have had bedbugs at one point or another. The key is to make sure you diligently check before you bring your things into the room. Check all beds, etc.

I am truly sorry the OP experienced this. :( And sorry the management did not handle this well.

This is not the 1st report I have seen of Bonnet Creek having bed bugs over the years, but yet, I would still take a chance and book here in the future. Even all of my favorite Disney Hotels have had them at one point of another.

I agree that most Orlando hotels have had them and are listed in the registry. The thing that would hold me back from booking this particular resort is how they handled it. I wouldn't want to stay someplace that treated a guest the way the OP was treated. Not to mention the fact that there is no way they got rid of the bedbugs in that room! They didn't even treat the whole area.

I'd stay at the Disney resorts that have had them because they go through the proper procedures to make sure guest don't take any home and that the room(s) are treated properly. This resort did not do that. That is why I'd never book there. Chances are much higher at this resort that they still have a problem and you may be the one walking into it.

The thing that would hold me back from booking this particular resort is how they handled it. I wouldn't want to stay someplace that treated a guest the way the OP was treated. Not to mention the fact that there is no way they got rid of the bedbugs in that room! They didn't even treat the whole area.

:thumbsup2

i for one think this is being blown way out of controll. not worried about it at all.

the op described something out of a horror movie. Me thinks it is just quite a bit over exagerated.

I travel a lot. Many hotels in many countries. i check, and have never 1 time had a bed bug issue.

I have seen various other bugs, ants and the like. You call the front desk and deal with them. you cant ruin a trip that you havent even taken because of the fear of the unknown.

I can understand how you might think this story is exaggerated, and I sure wish it was too. Unfortunately it is not, which is why we took photos to prove it. Photos of the bed, the bites...everything. They are going to be provided to management.

Believe me or not...but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE check for bed bugs!!! If you find them, make sure they are treated correctly and demand answers. We've traveled on hundreds of hotels for personal and business reasons and this is the 1st time we've ever had something like this happen. Too bad the 1st time had to be so severe...I've learned my lesson the hard way. :sad:

DSLRuser is right though...please don't stress out about the unknown before you even begin your vacation. I posted my story so that people could take steps to become educated before their vacations. Print off a checklist (what to check the room for), know how things should be handled "in case" something comes up, and ALWAYS take steps upon returning home...like washing/drying all your clothing/soft items before putting them away and checking luggage. Better safe, than sorry.

DSLRuser is right though...please don't stress out about the unknown before you even begin your vacation. I posted my story so that people could take steps to become educated before their vacations. Print off a checklist (what to check the room for), know how things should be handled "in case" something comes up, and ALWAYS take steps upon returning home...like washing/drying all your clothing/soft items before putting them away and checking luggage. Better safe, than sorry.

Thank you for sharing your story. I am like you and always check the room before anything or anyone enters...and I am sorry that the one time you didn't you ended up like this.

I hope everything works out for you .

Thank you for sharing your story. I haven't done much traveling in the past few years, so it's a good reminder that things have changed and I need to check the beds when we go somewhere.

Thank you for sharing this with all of us. I also do the bed check and have stayed at Bonnet Creek twice. It is so easy to get distracted with the kids. I could see myself doing the same thing. This is a great reminder to me not to get distracted before completing my checks.

Anybody think it ironic that at the bottom of page 6 of this thread is an ad for a company in Texas that finds and gets rid of bedbugs?:rotfl: What got me is the fact that they have a dog trained to sniff out bedbugs even the technicians can't see. I just had to read about him:

http://www.texasbedbugpro.com/?ibp-adgroup=adwords&gclid=CIPzuZGusLUCFQLznAod3A4AlQ

We Can Detect Bed Bugs in Your Home, Even if You Can't See Them
Duke the bed bug detectorBed bugs are difficult to detect in many cases. They are very good at hiding in safe places in and around your bed and furniture. Sometimes the only indication that bed bugs may infest a home will be red spots on one person's skin.

Not only are our technicians trained to locate and identify bed bugs, we also have a secret weapon - Duke the bed bug detecting dog.

After months of intensive training, Duke is a well-qualified bed bug detector. Using his keen sense of smell Duke can locate bed bugs then alert the technician to their presence. When the bed bugs hide too well for even a trained technician to find, they still can't escape Duke's nose.

Duke Demonstrates Bed Bug Detection Abilities
Below is a demonstration of duke's abilities. Duke detects bed bug scent on a training run and alerts his hander.

Anybody think it ironic that at the bottom of page 6 of this thread is an ad for a company in Texas that finds and gets rid of bedbugs?:rotfl: What got me is the fact that they have a dog trained to sniff out bedbugs even the technicians can't see. I just had to read about him:

http://www.texasbedbugpro.com/?ibp-adgroup=adwords&gclid=CIPzuZGusLUCFQLznAod3A4AlQ

We Can Detect Bed Bugs in Your Home, Even if You Can't See Them
Duke the bed bug detectorBed bugs are difficult to detect in many cases. They are very good at hiding in safe places in and around your bed and furniture. Sometimes the only indication that bed bugs may infest a home will be red spots on one person's skin.

Not only are our technicians trained to locate and identify bed bugs, we also have a secret weapon - Duke the bed bug detecting dog.

After months of intensive training, Duke is a well-qualified bed bug detector. Using his keen sense of smell Duke can locate bed bugs then alert the technician to their presence. When the bed bugs hide too well for even a trained technician to find, they still can't escape Duke's nose.

Duke Demonstrates Bed Bug Detection Abilities
Below is a demonstration of duke's abilities. Duke detects bed bug scent on a training run and alerts his hander.

Some of the Orlando hotels use the dogs too. ( some posters on the bedbug registry mention this ) Our local radio station interviewed a guy who owned a dog who could do this. Seems they are trained to smell the blood.

I will be honest, I was very freaked out about the bed bugs at bc. I was a bit paranoid during our stay last weekend and I never seen them or any bugs. One thing to keep in mind is that there are over 1100 units at bc and most of the time they are all full. With that many units, it is easy to understand a few incidents. While I am sorry for the op and can't imagine going through it, I don't think they are widespread.

Also on another note you do have to strip the beds before you leave every time. Someone said you didn't have to do this but I called the front desk and they said it was still policy to do this. Havin said that, I can't imagine how house keeping or the previous renter didn't see them.

Havin said that, I can't imagine how house keeping or the previous renter didn't see them.

I can. My daughter who had a horrible infestation in her house was oblivious for a couple of weeks (and she is an OCD type cleaner).

She came home from a trip with friends and she was covered in big blotchy bites, but her friends didn't have any.

She went to a dermatologist who was an ex Army dr, and he told her bed bugs. She kept looking for them and couldn't find them and her husband never had any signs of bites. Her friends never had any signs either.

She decided the dr was crazy and went to another derm and was put on steroids for an allergic reaction (to what who knows).

One day she looked around the bed and there were bedbugs everywhere. She called her friends and they looked again and they had them as well.

Not everyone reacts to the bites, but how 3 OCD neat freaks missed seeing the bugs for a couple of weeks is beyond me.

She did call the original dr and apologize.

I can. My daughter who had a horrible infestation in her house was oblivious for a couple of weeks (and she is an OCD type cleaner).

She came home from a trip with friends and she was covered in big blotchy bites, but her friends didn't have any.

She went to a dermatologist who was an ex Army dr, and he told her bed bugs. She kept looking for them and couldn't find them and her husband never had any signs of bites. Her friends never had any signs either.

She decided the dr was crazy and went to another derm and was put on steroids for an allergic reaction (to what who knows).

One day she looked around the bed and there were bedbugs everywhere. She called her friends and they looked again and they had them as well.

Not everyone reacts to the bites, but how 3 OCD neat freaks missed seeing the bugs for a couple of weeks is beyond me.

She did call the original dr and apologize.

Ugh...and THIS is why we're going to have to continue to check our beds for the next 6 months. It seems so daunting, but the bug company said that we needed to do it to catch an infestation at the first signs. Nonetheless, he said even if we don't see the bugs, it is likely that we'll see the feces/blood spots if we have them. Thankfully, we know what/where to look for that so that helps. So far, we haven't found anything, but we've only been home for 2 weeks. 5.5 months to go.

Janet, I hope everything is solved with your daughter. I KNOW what she went through/is going through, and it is terrible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter